Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me (1598 Views)

My Employer Refused To Pay / Man Destroys His Own House Because His First Wife Refused To Pack Out / Man Tricks His Baby Who Refused To Take Milk From A Feeding Bottle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 1:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
I was brought to Lagos in 2014 from my base in Benin Edo State to work as a house help for a woman who is based in the US but has her children here in Nigeria.

We agreed at that time that she'll either pay me monthly or enroll me in a trade and settle me after learning.

I resumed work September of the said year, after six months and nothing was said of either my Salary or the apprenticeship I complained and she promised to enroll me for a trade.

After working for eighteen months without pay nor putting me into any trade coupled with all the maltreatments and abuses I incurred, I requested for me to be paid as time was no longer on my side. She promised to still put me in a trade but never did.

Exactly two years after I resumed the job, I once again requested for my pay, she them said that she doesn't have anything for me that I should go if I want to go or stay if I wish.

I left in 2016 December. I heard she was in Nigeria this year and came to see her for my pay. She took my phone number and promised to call but never did.

I went back to the house only to be told they have relocated. All efforts to get to her was not productive until I saw her on Facebook and sent a friend request to her and her sons. On noticing I was the one, she ignored my request and messages sent to her.

Please how can I get my money from her or at least seek justice. I feel so used, dumbed and abandoned.

PLEASE HELP.
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Pavore9: 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
Was there any written agreement signed by you and her?
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
Pavore9:
Was there any written agreement signed by you and her?

No. Everything was just oral between her brother and my family and a phone conversation.

The said brother said he can't help me too as they are no longer in good terms
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Pavore9: 1:23pm On Dec 30, 2019
Edithevans:

No. Everything was just oral between her brother and my family and a phone conversation.

The said brother said he can't help me too as they are no longer in good terms

Did you take any picture with her or with her children while still with the family?
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 1:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
Pavore9:

Did you take any picture with her or with her children while still with the family?

The only picture taken with her children during the 2015 Christmas was sent to her as not having a phone was one of the conditions of working with them.

I have personal pictures taken in the house
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Pavore9: 1:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
Edithevans:

The only picture taken with her children during the 2015 Christmas was sent to her as not having a phone was one of the conditions of working with them.

I have personal pictures taken in the house

Pictures of you with her or her children would have served as a proof you had something to do with them but with no written agreement as all has been oral and her having left Nigeria, it would be difficult to get her to pay.

1 Like

Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 1:41pm On Dec 30, 2019
Pavore9:

Pictures of you with her or her children would have served as a proof you had something to do with them but with no written agreement as all has been oral and her having left Nigeria, it would be difficult to get her to pay.

How then can I pursue this?
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by LadySarah: 2:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
how old are you?Being an oral agreement creates problems as there isnt any evidence.
Ppls wickedness to their helps
Nigeria!
Which church were you ppl going to.See their pastor
Nlc or Naptip should help out i think so.

Cc.Ifyalways,Bukatyne.Whats your take?
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
I'm currently 22. She has no religious affliation but her eldest son was a member of Christ Embassy while in Nigeria. For me, I've always been an ardent member of the RCCG
LadySarah:
how old are you?Being an oral agreement creates problems as there isnt any evidence.
Nigeria!

I'm currently 22. She has no religious affliation but her eldest son was a member of Christ Embassy while in Nigeria. For me, I've always been an ardent member of the RCCG
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 30, 2019
It's too bad that neither her nor her children in Nigeria [I'm assuming they must be adult children and you were working + living in the home] have paid you or enrolled you in the trade as you were told. They should just do the right thing but that you've been chasing them this long means they don't want to, which is baffling. A written contract of the terms and agreement is key here, otherwise it becomes a case of he-said-she-said and they will undoubtedly have their own side of the story.
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by LadySarah: 3:23pm On Dec 30, 2019
Edithevans:
I'm currently 22. She has no religious affliation but her eldest son was a member of Christ Embassy while in Nigeria. For me, I've always been an ardent member of the RCCGI'm currently 22. She has no religious affliation but her eldest son was a member of Christ Embassy while in Nigeria. For me, I've always been an ardent member of the RCCG

Contact Naptip if your story is true.
I hope you find justice

Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 3:28pm On Dec 30, 2019
LadySarah:

Contact Naptip if your story is true.
I hope you find justice

Thank you so much ma. I have already filled a form on the NAPTIP website after your first message

1 Like

Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 3:30pm On Dec 30, 2019
theButterfly:
It's too bad that neither her nor her children in Nigeria [I'm assuming they must be adult children and you were working + living in the home] have paid you or enrolled you in the trade as you were told. They should just do the right thing but that you've been chasing them this long means they don't want to, which is baffling. A written contract of the terms and agreement is key here, otherwise it becomes a case of he-said-she-said and they will undoubtedly have their own side of the story.

Hmmm
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 30, 2019
Edithevans:

Hmmm
I believe you. Chin up.
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
theButterfly:
I believe you. Chin up.
Thanks
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 5:28pm On Dec 30, 2019
theButterfly:
I believe you. Chin up.
Thanks so much
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by LadySarah: 11:11pm On Jan 04, 2020
Edithevans:

Thanks so much

What's the update.?
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by pushups44: 1:28am On Jan 05, 2020
I'm sorry to hear that! In the U.S., there are strict laws against not paying employees what they are owed. I'd like to see more progress in Nigeria to eliminate workplace abuse. I hope there are people who can help you get the justice you deserve!

1 Like

Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 4:27pm On Jan 19, 2020
pushups44:
I'm sorry to hear that! In the U.S., there are strict laws against not paying employees what they are owed. I'd like to see more progress in Nigeria to eliminate workplace abuse. I hope there are people who can help you get the justice you deserve!

I hope so cause right now I'm devastated

1 Like

Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by OlawaleBammie: 8:29am On Jan 20, 2020
Edithevans:
I was brought to Lagos in 2014 from my base in Benin Edo State to work as a house help for a woman who is based in the US but has her children here in Nigeria.

We agreed at that time that she'll either pay me monthly or enroll me in a trade and settle me after learning.

I resumed work September of the said year, after six months and nothing was said of either my Salary or the apprenticeship I complained and she promised to enroll me for a trade.

After working for eighteen months without pay nor putting me into any trade coupled with all the maltreatments and abuses I incurred, I requested for me to be paid as time was no longer on my side. She promised to still put me in a trade but never did.

Exactly two years after I resumed the job, I once again requested for my pay, she them said that she doesn't have anything for me that I should go if I want to go or stay if I wish.

I left in 2016 December. I heard she was in Nigeria this year and came to see her for my pay. She took my phone number and promised to call but never did.

I went back to the house only to be told they have relocated. All efforts to get to her was not productive until I saw her on Facebook and sent a friend request to her and her sons. On noticing I was the one, she ignored my request and messages sent to her.

Please how can I get my money from her or at least seek justice. I feel so used, dumbed and abandoned.

PLEASE HELP.

U know what, this life is cruel mo doubt...

This is what u will do, to anybody that want to despirately progress at the expense of other this is what wey dcv..

Go back to Edo and meet those babas or mamas, Put a heavy curse on her never to find her way again until she come and settle u as required, anything she touches turns to ashes until she find u and settle u, den relaxe and see the magic unfold.

Me, I dont pity wicked and I will never. they decv to learn some lessons the hard way.
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by sacx: 1:33pm On Jan 20, 2020
You write in English so well which shows you are not educationally disadvantaged, yet you work as an house help. Oniyeye
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Edithevans: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2020
sacx:
You write in English so well which shows you are not educationally disadvantaged, yet you work as an house help. Oniyeye

Education isn't all about the classroom. I picked all these while living

3 Likes

Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Lamanii22(f): 10:14am On Jan 21, 2020
The heart of man is filled with wickedness!!!
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2020
Edithevans:

I can help you, pm me!
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by bukatyne(f): 6:58pm On Jan 21, 2020
LadySarah:
Nigeria!

I just stumbled on this, did not see the mention.
Edithevans:

@OP:

Extremely sad story.

I would however advise you move on. Sadly, there is no written contract and it is your word against hers.

The energy you would use to pursue her to pay, I would advise you use it to make something out of your life.

Do daily work for families, apply as a clerk/sales girl, meet someone you are interested in his/her trade etc. and save up money to further your education.

Online education would be better so you can focus on your source of livelihood.

It will get better.
Re: PLEASE HELP: My Employer Refused To Pay Me by Lonestar124: 7:06pm On Jan 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
The heart of man is filled with wickedness!!!
In this case, it should be the heart of a woman or what do you think?

Op forgive and forget, you served her and learned a skill at same time, eat her food, she clothed you and were under her roof for 2years before leaving her, just like a igbo boy that serve his igbo master for six years in his business with strong stress, when it reach the time to settle the boy, the master will accuse him of what he did not.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Selfish Sleep Positions Couples Must Avoid / The Continuous Decline In Critical Thinking Among Nigerian University Students / Nairalanders Pls I Need A Word Of Encouragement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.