Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,401 members, 7,954,584 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:42 PM

5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language (22499 Views)

5 Foreign Country That Speaks Yoruba / 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks Yoruba / Brazil adopts Yoruba as official language - Lekkigists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by huptin(m): 4:47am On Dec 31, 2019
saintvc:

Nigeria brand of Yoruba are fearful, fear reduced them

I don't think so, they are actually very smart, even the so called 'fear' is a strategy they used to lure their rivals into underating them before unleashing their plans. They are selfish very selfish but not fearful..u will be fooled if you think they are!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by MetaPhysical: 5:26am On Dec 31, 2019
Dedetwo:

Bahia is not a country. Secondly, Yoruba is not spoken in Bahia State of Brazil as even a secondary language. Even the third place language is English language even though broken.

Bad belle dey give you stomach run. Take alabukun nau

3 Likes

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Sofistcatdmoron: 5:57am On Dec 31, 2019
afonja people always feeling insecure grin
so uk, Brazil and cuba now speaks yoruba
chai, wetin this afonja skull miner op see for grave yard has affected his reasoning sense

1 Like

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Xavi2019: 7:09am On Dec 31, 2019
Sunky200:
3. Brazil

Brazil happen to be one of the countries that homes predecessor of the victim of the then slave trade.

Many Yoruba indigene has marooned around in the south and north America and most of them that have love for their source have trace it back to Nigeria to continue its practices.

Ooni Ogunwusi in 2018 find his way to the authority of the Brazil republic and has made the country assigned Yoruba Language as an Official language of the country.

Brazil has the largest number of Yoruba indigenes abroad.

This was a thread filled with potential, but OP spoiled it with several wrong info -
He claims that No 3 country (Brazil) use it as an official language, and there's no such thing.
Portuguese is the official Language spoken in Brazil..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Brazil

2 Likes

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Xavi2019: 7:13am On Dec 31, 2019
Sunky200:
5. Bahia
Bahia is a state in Brazil, Yoruba is one of the most widely spoken languages in this state.
It is historic because it home the pelourinho, the building where the Yorubas and other slaves from other western countries were kept before they are been dispersed to there merchants in the 17th century.

Other countries that speaks Yoruba are Togo, Benin Republic, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ghana, Gambia, North America, Europe, and the Caribbean Islands.

According to Wikipedia, Yoruba is the most widely spoken language outside Nigeria and Africa. It's been estimated that there are over 40 million Yoruba primary and secondary language speakers across the globe.

Source:
http://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/bf408b3666000e7ec0a6c81f8d87e36c?country=ng&language=en&share=1&client&fbclid=IwAR1kFNzxuNtCJd6OMXfVBIJukZ4H6Id479mzzLvCAqNM2y2NC--YVIBfAIw

Bahia isn't a country.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Xavi2019: 7:16am On Dec 31, 2019
Sunky200:
2. CUBA

Cuba which happens to be the second smallest country in the whole world also home Yoruba indigene in the country.

It is mostly spoken in the black side of the country.

Here's an extract I found on CUBA -

"Lucumi dialect originates from the Niger-Congo category and it is a Yoruboid language. The language is used secretly in sacred functions specifically by a community known as the Santeria. This community is made up of the ancestors of African slaves known as the Yoruba. These people have combined their indigenous spiritual practices, beliefs, and values with the region’s Catholic practices. Lucumi, as compared to the Creole dialect, is a dead language as citizens do not use it to communicate."

1 Like

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by okuya: 7:41am On Dec 31, 2019
Mikecold:
I thought yorubas dont move outside lagos o, never knew they had this influence even outside the continent.

Kerosene- Ogogoro express news wont be happy

Btw Benin or togo has a huge yoruba heritage too

THEY DO, ONLY AS SLAVES !
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 31, 2019
Divepen1:

Good you've pointed them out already. Life's not hard. Correct him and switch off the negative energy.

My friend go and sit down somewhere. Only a negative mind sees negativity everywhere he goes.

I've made my opinion known to the op. If you feel bad about it bite down hard on cold steel.

When you pay my phone bills you can tell me what to post and what not to post.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Divepen1(m): 8:09am On Dec 31, 2019
FrLukas:

My friend go and sit down somewhere. Only a negative mind sees negativity everywhere he goes.

I've made my opinion known to the op. If you feel bad about it bite down hard on cold steel.

When you pay my phone bills you can tell me what to post and what not to post.
Keep whyning like a baby.
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by baby124: 8:24am On Dec 31, 2019
Lol!!! I don’t think these people speak Yoruba but their culture is largely influenced by Yoruba slaves who were shipped to those locations in large numbers
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Sunky200: 9:04am On Dec 31, 2019
Xavi2019:

This was a thread filled with potential, but OP spoiled it with several wrong info -
He claims that No 3 country (Brazil) use it as an official language, and there's no such thing.

actually Yorùbá is now an official language alongside other official language in Brazil. check the date the news you're reading was created, Yoruba was recognised as an Intangible Heritage sometimes this year or so
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Sunky200: 9:06am On Dec 31, 2019
Xavi2019:

Here's an extract I found on CUBA -

"Lucumi dialect originates from the Niger-Congo category and it is a Yoruboid language. The language is used secretly in sacred functions specifically by a community known as the Santeria. This community is made up of the ancestors of African slaves known as the Yoruba. These people have combined their indigenous spiritual practices, beliefs, and values with the region’s Catholic practices. Lucumi, as compared to the Creole dialect, is a dead language as citizens do not use it to communicate."

you may be right
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Xavi2019: 9:12am On Dec 31, 2019
Sunky200:

actually Yorùbá is now an official language alongside other official language in Brazil. check the date the news you're reading was created, Yoruba was recognised as an Intangible Heritage sometimes this year or so

Can you please provide any 'credible' link to support your claim?
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Sunky200: 10:28am On Dec 31, 2019
Xavi2019:

Can you please provide any 'credible' link to support your claim?

sometimes in 2018

Gostaria usar esse opportunidade para parabenizar os povos
de Yorubas no Estado de Rio de Janeiro e Brasil geral pelo
esse ato de Governador do Estado do Rio de Janeiro.
PARABENS BRASIL!!!

The Government of Rio de
Janeiro has approved and accepted Yoruba language as part
of their Cultural Heritage taking a cue from UNESCO as the
body did to some World Intangible Heritage sites. Religion
and Culture. This translate into teaching Yoruba language,
culture, tradition and religion especially in the various Yoruba
religion houses (Ilé Ase) in Rio de Janeiro and am sure
soonest in the whole of Brasil.

make use of Google for more info as I don't have the link

3 Likes

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 31, 2019
Divepen1:
Keep whyning like a baby.

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 31, 2019
okuya:

THEY DO, ONLY AS SLAVES !

No wonder you named yourself okuya.
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Divepen1(m): 11:23am On Dec 31, 2019
[quote author=FrLukas post=85373531][/quote]You see .
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by itsme01: 11:25am On Dec 31, 2019
ZombieTERROR:
Rubbish

Yoruba language is only spoken in Sw... Togo where all Yoruba people originated from before they invaded Nigeria and Benin Republic .

There should be a thread asking some people to move back to the country of their origin....

stop looking for yoruba trouble this coming year... pease be warned
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Nmezor(f): 4:13pm On Jan 01, 2020
Hmmm, really
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Amujale(m): 11:38pm On Jan 31, 2020
Xavi2019:

It's clear that you didnt bother to read the link you posted well.

Yoruba is recognised as ‘patrimonio imaterial’ to the people of Brazil - meaning that the language is being given a landmark status; recognition of great importance to the people of Brazil.

Re-visit your link and check properly or follow the one below that will take you straight to the proof.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Brazil#Officialization_of_languages_as_a_linguistic_or_cultural_heritage
Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 01, 2020
baby124:
Lol!!! I don’t think these people speak Yoruba but their culture is largely influenced by Yoruba slaves who were shipped to those locations in large numbers

I once watched a video on YouTube showing a ceremony. I'll see if I can find the link. It was done with so much pride and was truly beautiful to watch. Their pronouncations were off, but other than that...
Especially, since in Nigeria it's seen as backward and evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATgNzwHSfjw

2 Likes

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Amujale(m): 3:47pm On Feb 03, 2020
fieryy:

Especially, since in Nigeria it's seen as backward and evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATgNzwHSfjw

The irony is mindbogling, the only well known evil ideologies present in Nigeria are infact Christianity and Islam.

These foreign, fake and malicious ideologies have created a situation whereby we seem unable to assign the correct significance to that which should really matter to us.

It's due to Christianity and Islam that we have chosen to neglate our God given legacy.

Africansic history is soley our responsibility as well as being the single most important aspects of legacy.

Our history is unique throughout world history due to the fact that at a certain point in time, Africansic and World history was one and the same.

Their are millions upon millions of people all around the world waiting for our guidance yet we've become distracted from reality by the falsehood of Christianity and Islam that instead of us to be finding ways to nuture the spirituality of our people worldwide, we are wasting our time waiting for a fictitious character they call Jesus.

The quicker we learn what our priorities really are, the better for us all.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 07, 2020
Amujale:

The irony is mindbogling, the only well known evil ideologies present in Nigeria are infact Christianity and Islam.

These foreign, fake and malicious ideologies have created a situation whereby we seem unable to assign the correct significance to that which should really matter to us.

It's due to Christianity and Islam that we have chosen to neglate our God given legacy.

Africansic history is soley our responsibility as well as being the single most important aspects of legacy.

Our history is unique throughout world history due to the fact that at a certain point in time, Africansic and World history was one and the same.

Their are millions upon millions of people all around the world waiting for our guidance yet we've become distracted from reality by the falsehood of Christianity and Islam that instead of us to be finding ways to nuture the spirituality of our people worldwide, we are wasting our time waiting for a fictitious character they call Jesus.

The quicker we learn what our priorities really are, the better for us all.

I agree with you. African history is our responsibility. It's our story to tell and for too long we've let it be told by others. Colonization has made us see African religions, cultures and traditions as evil, our languages as sth inferior, our skin and hair as not beautiful enough. That needs to change.

However, as for nurturing the spirituality, I honestly couldn't care less, as I'm an atheist.
But I think it needs to be spoken about with respect and in a positive way, especially by Africans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language by Amujale(m): 3:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
fieryy:

I agree with you. African history is our responsibility. It's our story to tell and for too long we've let it be told by others. Colonization has made us see African religions, cultures and traditions as evil, our languages as sth inferior, our skin and hair as not beautiful enough. That needs to change.

However, as for nurturing the spirituality, I honestly couldn't care less, as I'm an atheist.
But I think it needs to be spoken about with respect and in a positive way, especially by Africans.

Totally agree with the spirit of your post.

Naturally as an Africanist, my views are that history is important, it becones more so, in the context of the African.

We know that West Asia and Europe stole and pillaged our history in order to better themselves.

It isnt inconveivable to suggest that out of all the peoples to make use of our parents history, none will be as effective as us and our diaspora, the real owners of the legacy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? / 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language / Your Favourite Yoruba Proverbs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.