Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 (233 Views)

Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 by TellTheTruth: 2:57pm On Jan 01, 2020
Welcome to the PART 2

For those who missed the PART 1, you can still read it through this link: https://www.nairaland.com/5606552/re-here-4-reasons-im#85375860

These threads (PART 1, 2, 3 and 4) are in response to an earlier publication here on Nairaland titled "HERE ARE 4 REASONS I'M CONSIDERING BEING AN ATHEIST" https://www.nairaland.com/5603870/4-reasons-im-considering-becoming

In the above thread the OP raised 8 questions about the Christian faith in God almighty which he/she summed in 4 paragraphs. By the grace of God the Father of our LORD Jesus Christ answers are being given to these questions. The first question has been answered in part 1 (link above), in this part 2 the second question(s) will be answered.

QUESTION 2

There are a lot of complications & contradictory remarks in the Bible:

(a). A verse says don't drink, another says drink for your stomach sake or do not drink wherein excess

(b). Malachi 3:10 speaks about bringing your tithe to the storehouse; Deuteronomy 14:22-26 says otherwise: "you should drink and be merry with your tithe".

(c). There are contradictions on Mathew, Mark, Luke, & John's account of Jesus, maybe the translators fault or God told the writers different stories on the same issue.

ANSWERS

First, there are no complications & contradictory remark in the Bible. Every verse in the Bible has at least one or more other verses somewhere in the same Bible giving further explanation on the matter. The problem is always from the reader who picks a particular verse, runs off with it, and begin to build doctrines around it without balance. This brings error to the reader whereas the Bible is intended to make the man of God perfect (2Timothy 3:16-17).

(a). There are over 200 Bible verses talking about wine. Why do you intend to build a doctrine around two alone?

The Bible permits that people (there are some exempted from this, I will talk about them in the next paragraph) drink wine but not in excess (being drunk), (Ephesians 5:18). Drinking in excess will surely make any man to misbehave therefore the Bible warns us in advance.

God forbids outrightly a king, a Nazarene, or anyone holding leadership position in the church from drinking wine (Proverbs 31:4,6; Numbers 6:1-3; 1Timothy 3:1-3). This is to save them from the embarrassment drinking strong wine can bring. Can you imagine what your reaction will be if I come preaching the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to you with my mouth smelling alcohol; imagine the embarrassment you will feel coming into the church and finding your priest misbehaving because he is drunk with alcohol; imagine the shame and embarrassment when a king gives a partial judgement because he is drunk with wine.

The only wine that these set of people taste is the holy communion right inside the LORD'S Temple.

On the issue of drinking for the sake of your stomach, I will ask you, did you not read the whole verse? Let me quote it for you:

"Drink no longer water, but use A LITTLE wine for thy stomach's sake and THINE OFTEN INFIRMITIES" (1Timothy 5:23).

Let me explain the above verse to you.

The book of first Timothy (even the second and many other epistles) was written by apostle to his son in the Lord (Timothy). As at the time apostle Paul wrote his first letter to Timothy (the book of 1 Timothy), Timothy was having series of sickness emanating from a stomach ailment. This was seriously hampering his work with Paul, thus, Paul advise him to stop drinking water but to take a little wine (take note of the word LITTLE), this solved his problem and increased his productivity in preaching the gospel. The instruction was personal because of his type of ailment.

(b). There is no variation in the purpose of Malachi 3:10, Deuteronomy 14:22-26; Genesis 14:18-20; Hebrews 7:1-2; Genesis 28:20-22 etc that talked about tithing.

What you think to be a variation i.e "eating and drinking your tithe" between Malachi and Deuteronomy (quoted above) is made clearer in Genesis 14:18 when Abraham paid his tithe:

"And MELCHIZEDEK king of Salem BROUGHT out BREAD and WINE. (He was priest of God Most High.) And he blessed him and said, “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!” And ABRAM [later renamed Abraham by God in Genesis 17:5] GAVE him A TENTH of EVERYTHING (Genesis 14:18-20).

Emphasis in brackets [ ] are mine.

Taking a second look on that passage of the Bible you will note that the priest (Melchizedek in this case) who received the tithe brought along with Himself bread and wine to the place of meeting while Abraham brought a tenth of everything (tithe). Abraham ate of Melchizedek's bread and drank of His wine, and Melchizedek blessed him and received the tithe from his hand. All these happened at the place of their meeting chosen not by Abraham but by God.

Does this explain anything to you about Deuteronomy 14:22-26? Or bringing your tithe to the storehouse (Malachi 3:10)?

Paying of tithe is a spiritual act initiated in the old testament. The children of Isreal paid theirs once every 3 years (Deuteronomy 14:28) according to their year of harvest.

The Lord blessed the Israelites in livestock, grain, corn, wine etc thus, their major occupation was and is agriculture (Israel even today is a major exported of food even with their stony land). Therefore their tithing was not with cash (except in rare occasions due to distance) but agricultural produce.

When they bring their tithe to the Lord, the priest receives the tithe from their hands, blesses them, and also offers them something to eat which they must eat in the house (presence) of the Lord just like Melchizedek offered Abraham bread and wine. That is what they eat (that which the priest offers not their tithe).

(c). There is contradiction anywhere in the book of Mathew, Mark, Luke, & John. If you have mistaken any verse(s) for contradiction please post it here so you can be clarified.

Secondly, in as much the entire old testament and the epistles of the new testament where written by authors (prophets and apostles) who received these words from God through the inspiration of the Lord Holy Spirit (2Timothy 3:16), the book of the new testament gospels (Mathew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts and even Revelation) are direct accounts of what these authors saw with their physical eyes, held with their hands (took part in) and became witnesses of. Thus, God didn't tell them any story but they reported what they themselves witnessed (John 3:11, 15:27, Acts 2:32, 5:32, 10:39-41, 13:31)

QUESTION 3

Does God answer prayers?

Watch out for PART 3 soon.
Re: Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 by KingSatan: 3:00pm On Jan 01, 2020
Shut the hell up young man.

If you want to switch Faith, do it in peace and spare us this rubbish you draft all the time.

What makes you feel being an Atheist, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindi, Satanist etc is an automatic ticket to everlasting peace?

Do what makes you comfortable, uplifts your spirit and gives you hope of a better life on Earth and the Great Beyond.

Most importantly, do it and accept responsibility. That's Maturity and Adulthood.

Stop this unnecessary rants and validation. It's totally uncalled for.
Re: Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 by TellTheTruth: 3:03pm On Jan 01, 2020
KingSatan:
Shut the hell up young man.
As your user name implies, I expect nothing less from you.

2 Likes

Re: Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 by KingSatan: 3:06pm On Jan 01, 2020
TellTheTruth:

As your user name implies, I expect nothing less from you.
As your brain processes below par, I expect nothing better from you.

(1) (Reply)

Question: "Why Did Jesus Entrust Mary To The Apostle John / Watch How Pope Francis Smacked A Woman’s Hand To Free Himself From Her Grip / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 09/01/2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.