Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching (48393 Views)

Police Detain House On The Rock's Pastor Uche Aigbe For Preaching With AK-47 / Nigerian Man Arrested In Uk For Preaching In An Open Place / Prostitutes Beat Evangelist To Coma For Preaching In Their Premises In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Kinterez(m): 6:32pm On Jan 04, 2020
Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced to Nine Years In Prison

I will serve my sentence, but I will not serve the law. I will be executed, but I will not plead guilty.”

In what is believed to be the longest sentence against a house church leader in more than a decade, Pastor Wang Yi of the Early Rain Covenant Church in China, was sentenced to nine years in prison for “inciting to subvert state power”, attempting to turn people against the Chinese government, and “illegal business operations.” The charges for business operations relate to the printing and distribution of Christian books by the church, the Voice of The Matyrs, reports.

Pastor Wang’s trial was secretly held on December 26th and the verdict was announced on December 30th. Along with the lengthy prison sentence, he was also fined over $9,000 CAD and denied all political rights for three years. “This is a pure case of unjust religious persecution against a peaceful preacher of a Chinese reformed church,” reports Bob Fu, president of ChinaAid.

Chinese Christians Memorize Entire Bible In Prison, Says Gov’t Can’t Take What’s In Your Heart’

Pastor Yi’s sentence comes just few days after Elder Qin Defu of Early Rain Covenant Church was given four years pprison term for sharing gospel tracts.

As for many of the remaining members of the Early Rain Covenant Church (those who have not been imprisoned), governing authorities recently mandated that these congregants meet with security officials five times a day. Despite the stringent stipulations and heavy oppression, members of the church continue to faithfully meet together, seeking to serve God any way they can.

China has seen an uptick in religious persecution under the administration of President Xi Jinping who took office six years ago. In recent years, the government has demolished crosses, cracked down on house churches, arrested pastors, and put officially-recognized churches under tighter control.

Chinese law requires that places of worship register and submit to government oversight, but some have declined to register, and are thus deemed illegal. These churches are known as “house” or “underground” churches.

Why Many Chinese Are Becoming Christians

Wang had openly criticized Xi and refused to comply with Chinese government requirements to register with China’s Religious Affairs Bureau. In 2006, he traveled to Washington to meet with then-President George W. Bush, asking for his support in their fight for religious freedom.

Ahead of his arrest, Wang published a letter condemning the “evil” Communist Party for its continued persecution of Christians.

He expressed hope that God would use him to “tell those who have deprived me of my personal freedom that there is an authority higher than their authority, and that there is a freedom that they cannot restrain, a freedom that fills the church of the crucified and risen Jesus Christ.”

China Offers Thousands of Dollars to Anyone Who Will Report Christians, ‘Illegal’ Churches to Government

“Regardless of what crime the government charges me with, whatever filth they fling at me, as long as this charge is related to my faith, my writings, my comments, and my teachings, it is merely a lie and temptation of demons,” he wrote in the letter titled “My Declaration of Faithful Disobedience.” “I categorically deny it. I will serve my sentence, but I will not serve the law. I will be executed, but I will not plead guilty.”

Early Rain Covenant Church in China
Please prayerfully uphold Pastor Wang, his wife and family as they now must contend with the implications of this verdict. Pray that justice will still prevail and that this sentence will be overturned. Remember the members of the Early Rain Covenant Church as they seek ways to continue reaching out with the Gospel message in their community.

Lifelong, Famous Atheist Bill Hayden Receives Jesus At 85

The U.S. was quick to denounce the prison sentence this week. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo criticized the verdict and called for his release: “I am alarmed that Pastor Wang Yi, leader of Chengdu’s Early Rain house church, was tried in secret and sentenced to nine years in prison on trumped-up charges.”

Secretary Pompeo of US

@SecPompeo
I am alarmed that Pastor Wang Yi, leader of Chengdu’s Early Rain house church, was tried in secret and sentenced to nine years in prison on trumped-up charges. Beijing must release him and end its intensifying repression of Christians and members of all other religious groups.

Christianity In China
Explosive growth has characterized the church for at least the past 30 years. About 100 million Christians live in China, but only 30 million are affiliated with the government-authorized Three-Self Patriotic Movement (the state church controlled by the Communist government). The remaining 70 million worship in unapproved house churches. Despite continual pressure and oppression, house church leaders refuse to compromise the Gospel. About 60 percent of the believers in China live in rural areas, and only a few house church leaders have formal theological training or access to Bible study materials, according to VOM.

The number of Christians in Communist China is growing so steadily that by 2030, it could have more churchgoers than America.

Officially, the People’s Republic of China is an atheist country but that is changing fast as many of its 2 billion citizens seek meaning and spiritual comfort that neither communism nor capitalism seem to have supplied.

200,000 Tibetans, Including 62 Buddhist Monks, Come To Jesus

The Chinese Communist Party once tried to destroy religion, but it failed, and today, according to some estimates, there are more Christians in China than Communist Party members. Up to 100 million.

Life for Christians In China:
Ten years ago, unregistered churches in China’s “house church” movement enjoyed a measure of acceptance by the government. However, today things are much different. In February 2018, a new religious regulation led to increased government restrictions on unregistered churches. This has resulted in the forceful closure of hundreds of churches, the arrest or detainment of pastors and church members, and the prohibition of online sales of Bibles. If church leaders refuse to join the government-controlled church, false charges are filed against them. It is illegal to teach religion to anyone younger than 18 years of age.

https://believersportal.com/chinese-pastor-wang-yi-sentenced-to-nine-years-in-prison/?fbclid=IwAR2Bl8CufRHtPqTyfrRIRshYkBKNiuiVO-AUXJ2cE3f3phy6kNzLPLpAvDo

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Kinterez(m): 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
Chinese with their non tolerance for religion.. It's really unfair.. God give the pastor the courage and strength to persevere this trying time

194 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by brodalikeme(m): 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
Prison evangelism mode activated. People won’t talk na sha. Persecuting Christians is never news worthy.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Gracespecial101(m): 6:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
The Church is Marching on
We only just Began

142 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Theory2022: 6:49pm On Jan 04, 2020
good&fine

GODs OF CHINA
We need y0u d0wn here

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by dominique(f): 6:50pm On Jan 04, 2020
Ehyah, he should have registered his church to avoid government wahala. The rules were pretty clear

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by tartar9(m): 7:01pm On Jan 04, 2020
You were not sentenced for preaching,you were sentenced for running an illegal organization.Despite that,you still used it for your attacks against the Chinese government.
Stop crying foul,you're not innocent.

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by StrikeBack(m): 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2020
We need this in Nigeria...ban Alfa's and pussytor

Before you know it Nigeria population will reduce to 57,650

Everybody na either Alfa or pussytor for this Nigeria

22 Likes

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by naijazee2: 7:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
Haaa this one strong ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
This is a pure case of unjust religious persecution against a peaceful preacher of a Chinese reformed church,” reports Bob Fu, president of ChinaAid.

China has seen an uptick in religious persecution under the administration of President Xi Jinping who took office six years ago
No matter what they do,

THE CHURCH IS MARCHING ON AND THE GATES OF HELL CANNOT PREVAIL.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by hopefulLandlord: 7:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
if he were in Nigeria he doesn't need any license and if challenged he can simply threaten his challengers with wrath from his imaginary friend

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by hopefulLandlord: 7:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
Lamasta:
Its high time China allow FREEDOM OF RELIGION for its citizen
He simply needed to obtain registration in order to preach

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by FlyoruB: 7:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
Anybody that chooses to 'preach' or 'spread the gospel' in China should just know that he has signed his death warrant. It is not by force, preachers should simply stay away from China. Preachers should learn to respect their rules.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by hopefulLandlord: 7:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
Kinterez:

Chinese with their non tolerance for religion.. It's really unfair.. God give the pastor the courage and strength to persevere this trying time

Wetin all these useless preachings don do for ya kantiri asides getting private jets for Christian leaders?

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Kingrefreshed: 7:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
Kinterez:
Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced to Nine Years In Prison
By Bp-News-1 - January 4, 2020 0

Chinese Pastor Wang Yi
I will serve my sentence, but I will not serve the law. I will be executed, but I will not plead guilty.”

Chinese Pastor Wang Yi
In what is believed to be the longest sentence against a house church leader in more than a decade, Pastor Wang Yi of the Early Rain Covenant Church in China, was sentenced to nine years in prison for “inciting to subvert state power”, attempting to turn people against the Chinese government, and “illegal business operations.” The charges for business operations relate to the printing and distribution of Christian books by the church, the Voice of The Matyrs, reports.

Pastor Wang’s trial was secretly held on December 26th and the verdict was announced on December 30th. Along with the lengthy prison sentence, he was also fined over $9,000 CAD and denied all political rights for three years. “This is a pure case of unjust religious persecution against a peaceful preacher of a Chinese reformed church,” reports Bob Fu, president of ChinaAid.

Chinese Christians Memorize Entire Bible In Prison, Says Gov’t Can’t Take What’s In Your Heart’

Pastor Yi’s sentence comes just few days after Elder Qin Defu of Early Rain Covenant Church was given four years pprison term for sharing gospel tracts.

As for many of the remaining members of the Early Rain Covenant Church (those who have not been imprisoned), governing authorities recently mandated that these congregants meet with security officials five times a day. Despite the stringent stipulations and heavy oppression, members of the church continue to faithfully meet together, seeking to serve God any way they can.

China has seen an uptick in religious persecution under the administration of President Xi Jinping who took office six years ago. In recent years, the government has demolished crosses, cracked down on house churches, arrested pastors, and put officially-recognized churches under tighter control.

Chinese law requires that places of worship register and submit to government oversight, but some have declined to register, and are thus deemed illegal. These churches are known as “house” or “underground” churches.

Why Many Chinese Are Becoming Christians

Wang had openly criticized Xi and refused to comply with Chinese government requirements to register with China’s Religious Affairs Bureau. In 2006, he traveled to Washington to meet with then-President George W. Bush, asking for his support in their fight for religious freedom.

Ahead of his arrest, Wang published a letter condemning the “evil” Communist Party for its continued persecution of Christians.

He expressed hope that God would use him to “tell those who have deprived me of my personal freedom that there is an authority higher than their authority, and that there is a freedom that they cannot restrain, a freedom that fills the church of the crucified and risen Jesus Christ.”

China Offers Thousands of Dollars to Anyone Who Will Report Christians, ‘Illegal’ Churches to Government

“Regardless of what crime the government charges me with, whatever filth they fling at me, as long as this charge is related to my faith, my writings, my comments, and my teachings, it is merely a lie and temptation of demons,” he wrote in the letter titled “My Declaration of Faithful Disobedience.” “I categorically deny it. I will serve my sentence, but I will not serve the law. I will be executed, but I will not plead guilty.”

Early Rain Covenant Church in China
Please prayerfully uphold Pastor Wang, his wife and family as they now must contend with the implications of this verdict. Pray that justice will still prevail and that this sentence will be overturned. Remember the members of the Early Rain Covenant Church as they seek ways to continue reaching out with the Gospel message in their community.

Lifelong, Famous Atheist Bill Hayden Receives Jesus At 85

The U.S. was quick to denounce the prison sentence this week. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo criticized the verdict and called for his release: “I am alarmed that Pastor Wang Yi, leader of Chengdu’s Early Rain house church, was tried in secret and sentenced to nine years in prison on trumped-up charges.”

Secretary Pompeo of US

@SecPompeo
I am alarmed that Pastor Wang Yi, leader of Chengdu’s Early Rain house church, was tried in secret and sentenced to nine years in prison on trumped-up charges. Beijing must release him and end its intensifying repression of Christians and members of all other religious groups.

Christianity In China
Explosive growth has characterized the church for at least the past 30 years. About 100 million Christians live in China, but only 30 million are affiliated with the government-authorized Three-Self Patriotic Movement (the state church controlled by the Communist government). The remaining 70 million worship in unapproved house churches. Despite continual pressure and oppression, house church leaders refuse to compromise the Gospel. About 60 percent of the believers in China live in rural areas, and only a few house church leaders have formal theological training or access to Bible study materials, according to VOM.

The number of Christians in Communist China is growing so steadily that by 2030, it could have more churchgoers than America.

Officially, the People’s Republic of China is an atheist country but that is changing fast as many of its 2 billion citizens seek meaning and spiritual comfort that neither communism nor capitalism seem to have supplied.

200,000 Tibetans, Including 62 Buddhist Monks, Come To Jesus

The Chinese Communist Party once tried to destroy religion, but it failed, and today, according to some estimates, there are more Christians in China than Communist Party members. Up to 100 million.

Life for Christians In China:
Ten years ago, unregistered churches in China’s “house church” movement enjoyed a measure of acceptance by the government. However, today things are much different. In February 2018, a new religious regulation led to increased government restrictions on unregistered churches. This has resulted in the forceful closure of hundreds of churches, the arrest or detainment of pastors and church members, and the prohibition of online sales of Bibles. If church leaders refuse to join the government-controlled church, false charges are filed against them. It is illegal to teach religion to anyone younger than 18 years of age.

https://believersportal.com/chinese-pastor-wang-yi-sentenced-to-nine-years-in-prison/?fbclid=IwAR2Bl8CufRHtPqTyfrRIRshYkBKNiuiVO-AUXJ2cE3f3phy6kNzLPLpAvDo

Go and register your church.

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by sotall(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
Good one by the Chinese Government. A government that learns from the misfortune of other countries like Nigeria .

Religion breeds ignorance, poverty, laziness, impedes development and divides the populace.

Check all the countries where evil, wickedness and corruption is rampant, they are religious countries.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Humphrizy(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
There is nothing wey musa no go hear over the radio

God will surely come thru for him

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by hopefulLandlord: 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
StrikeBack:

What the fork is "Pussytor"?
Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
This man is a matyr.

WHO IS A MATYR ?

A person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.

A person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause:a martyr to the cause of social justice.

A person who undergoes severe or constant suffering.

A person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.

Dear Pastor,
We will continue to have you in our prayers.
God will see you through all these perilous days.
This too shall pass

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by MJBOLT: 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
death penalty would have been better so he can get to the heaven he preaches about

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by donprinyo(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
Our prayers are with you sir. God is de only dat can take away ur life.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by shigoslim(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
The same Chinese said will support Iran again USA.
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by NotBeenPaid: 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2020

Religion has done alot of harm to humanity, I guess reason why the Chinese are fighting tooth and nail not to allow Islam & Christianity in their country.

Using Nigeria as a case study - We're too evil in this country.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by wizdomnzube(m): 7:37pm On Jan 04, 2020
This one head nor get oil sha oh. Who send am work?
Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by seunmohmoh(f): 7:37pm On Jan 04, 2020
Simple registration would have stopped all these.

6 Likes

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 04, 2020
We need this law against organised religion in Africa

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Angelfrost(m): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
StrikeBack:

Start by eradicating corruption and financial crimes among government officials; improve power supply; put the economy to upward flight, then we can begin to address the excesses of religious organizations...

The country above has achieved all I mentioned...

We shouldn't keep deluding ourselves that corruption, our biggest issue, was borne out of religion...

6 Likes

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
W
Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Patrioticman007(m): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
Cool, at least they are preserving their ancient religion as against a European fake religion.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Parrie(m): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
China is not a christian country So mr man jejely serve your prison sentence

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching by Lamasta(m): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
Its high time China allow FREEDOM OF RELIGION for its citizen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Celestial Church Invites Pasuma, Portable To Praise Night (Photo) / Parish Priest Sells Church And Its Land Leaving His Members In Disbelief (video) / Anglican Church Suspends Bishop Adepoju For Having Sex With Reverend’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.