Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Do You Really Need To Go To Fashion School To Succeed In The Industry? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Do You Really Need To Go To Fashion School To Succeed In The Industry? (255 Views)

How To Fashion A Hoodie For Max Style Impact / Trendsviva Haute Fashion School with Bespoke styles / Ade Hassan Honoure By Queen Elizabeth With MBE Award For Services To Fashion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Really Need To Go To Fashion School To Succeed In The Industry? by martwayne001: 8:45pm On Jan 04, 2020
That’s like asking if you need an education to succeed in life generally. But, I could also argue that many self-made billionaires either never went to school or dropped out of school. Cases in point: Richard Branson, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and also our very own Cosmas Maduka of Coscharis Motors…and the list goes on.

I know you could say well… those people are not in the fashion industry – or the fashion industry is different and a lot more complicated so I’ll bring it closer to home.

Ralph Lauren – yes you know him (many of us own at least one of those tops with a horse on it) – well… he never went to fashion school and also dropped out of business school. The last time I checked, he was worth about $6.5 billion according to Forbes in 2012 and I am sure he is worth a whole lot more now.

So with these reference points, it kind of makes you wonder why you need to put yourself through so much stress and spend all that time and money to get the knowledge right?

Yes, I also asked myself that same question at some point until I realized that although these men may have dropped out of school, they opted for a different kind of learning environment. They got the relevant work experience and spent a long time at it as well.

So lest I digress, on the question of “to go to fashion school or not to go to fashion school?” here is my take on it. I’m listing just a few of the benefits of going to fashion school from the perspective of someone who attended one.

Read more here:

https://www.martwayne.com/do-i-need-fashion-school-to-succeed-in-the-industry/

1 Like

Re: Do You Really Need To Go To Fashion School To Succeed In The Industry? by dawnomike(m): 9:20pm On Jan 04, 2020
Talent and creativity rules above all... Acquiring knowledge comes in different ways be it formal (school) or informal (street,life and experience)

2 Likes

Re: Do You Really Need To Go To Fashion School To Succeed In The Industry? by martwayne001: 9:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
True. But there also is a place for some form of education, be it formal or informal, that helps to mould the raw talent.

(1) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Satchel Handbags / Best Or Strong Bleaching Creams / Yora Pores And Skin Care: Morning Routine Tricks To Make Your Pores And Skin Loo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.