Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,090 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Should I Enrol In The Pilot School Or Not? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Enrol In The Pilot School Or Not? (312 Views)

What Certification Should I Enrol For As A Graduate Of Electrical Engineering? / School Or 6 Digits Income Per Month? / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Enrol In The Pilot School Or Not? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 04, 2020
Recently a close family friend arrived from the states for the festive period and he us a visit.

We then discussed about various things but he was very curious about my school in particular. Told him everything I could about my course, where I intend to do my IT this year, we also talked about girls �

He told me about his nephew that got his license and now is an airline pilot. The nephew flies Etihad airways. He then asked if I would consider getting my own license so I can be an airline pilot also. I actually felt he was joking but to my surprise he wasn't.

He has a contact at the Emirates and told me a job is guaranteed if I can get my license and other necessary stuff. I asked why not Etihad, he said it is harder to guarantee a job there.

I've researched everything I could on becoming an airline pilot and even though it takes roughly 4 or 5 years to get all licences and ratings required, there's still the problem of getting adequate flight time and also the process is quite long.

First you'll have to get your Private Pilot License. This takes 2 years to obtain at NCAT Zaria.
Then you'll enrol for your Commercial Pilot License which I think is about 6 months. Followed by your Multi-engine ratings, Instrument ratings.
And also your ATPL (Airline transport pilot licence).

Then finally you have to travel abroad to get your type ratings because there's no type rating flight school in Nigeria. The most popular type ratings are the B380 and A737.

Then voilà you can now apply to fly at an airline.

The issue is flying at Emirates. Even tho the salary is okay (roughly around 3m per month) and the airline provide you with a furnished apartment. Bad part is I don't fancy myself living in Dubai. Though the lifestyle is great, I'd hate to wake up everyday for my whole career in a foreign place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I love living in Nigeria (who does?). I feel there's a stereotype attached to foreigners living in the Middle east. If this job was located at maybe Europe or North America I'll be much more receptive to it.

Told my family about it and they're offering their full support. Getting the license and ratings at NCAT is roughly around 7.5M and then the ratings abroad might cost around 4M. My pops is down for it.

Now the decision is left for me. Do I enrol in the flight school or continue my studies. Note that I'm in my 4th year, planning on going for my IT this year. My course is based in the construction industry. Getting a job after school won't be a problem also so I'm covered at least. And I don't wanna enrol at the flight school when I've already gotten the degree.

It's either now or never folks.

I need your honest opinions, if you were in my shoes or if you currently get the opportunity which would you choose?

Cc Mynd44
Re: Should I Enrol In The Pilot School Or Not? by charsemary(m): 9:18am On Jan 05, 2020
If that’s what you want, then go for it.
Secondly, don’t make the mistake of thinking that a job has been secured for you based on your course.
Re: Should I Enrol In The Pilot School Or Not? by dadadoc: 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2020
What course is it?
Re: Should I Enrol In The Pilot School Or Not? by Tobinrobin(m): 10:44am On Jan 06, 2020
Since it’s going to span a period of over 4 years , I would implore you to complete your first degree before proceeding, it will always come in handy. Apparently your parents can afford this licensing so go on with it but make sure you complete your IT & first degree first.

(1) (Reply)

Real Online Jobs You Can Do Anywhere / 9mobile Is Recruiting For 2 Positions / Embark On A Health And Safety Career With The NEBOSH IGC Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.