Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? (2552 Views)

Lady Goes To Verify Price of Peter Obi Pair Of Shoes In London Mall(vid) / Soludo To Andy Ubah: You Were Cleaning Obasanjo’s Shoes In Aso Villa / Question: Why Can't We Campaign For One Of These Younger Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 2:24am On Jan 06, 2020
Why does it have to be NIke
Why can't we make shoes ourselves?
Why can't we have our own NIKE.?
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 3:23am On Jan 06, 2020
Rosskii:

Rwanda scores higher than Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Switzerland, and Japan, in the Ease of Doing Business Index, which is what you're referring to.

https://www.doingbusiness.org/content/dam/doingBusiness/media/Annual-Reports/English/DB2019-report_web-version.pdf

So why are Nike and others not trooping in there to set up manufacturing plants?

They could pay half for labour, what they're paying in Vietnam.

rwanda is land locked . As a manufacturer i will still go for vietnam. Igbo man no dey sell suya leave am for hausa wey sabi
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by Rosskii: 3:45am On Jan 06, 2020
Kekereekun123:
rwanda is land locked . As a manufacturer i will still go for vietnam. Igbo man no dey sell suya leave am for hausa wey sabi

The lower cost of labour in Rwanda, plus other tax incentives, could help compensate for the costs of moving the goods through Mombasa or Dar es salaam. Right now Tanzania is building the Bagayomo Port, the largest deepwater port in Africa, for 10 billion US dollars, which makes Rwanda an even more viable option for investment.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 7:12am On Jan 06, 2020
FryMosquito:
Write to them nah, since you forgot we don't have stable electricity

U didn't read my post.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 7:40am On Jan 06, 2020
omohayek:

That's not the reason why. Considering the size of the European market, as well as the east coast of North America, Nigeria should in principle have nearly as vast a market as the Chinese enjoy natively, and one that's actually bigger when one adjusts for disposable income, which is still much higher in Europe, the USA and Canada. In addition, sub-Saharan countries like Nigeria actually have preferential access to Western markets in many cases, thanks to the desire of these rich countries to foster the kind of growth that will keep us from migrating to them in large numbers. If we had halfway functional governments, we would be dominating these sorts of industries as the lowest cost manufacturers.

The real reasons why the footwear industry has not taken off in Nigeria are the same ones behind Nigeria's failure at fostering any other sorts of industry, primarily

1. An excess of slow, illogical and highly corrupt bureaucracy, made worse by erratic decision-making at the top political level (e.g. Buhari's abrupt, indefinite closure of the borders).
2. Terribly maintained transport infrastructure, which raises the cost of getting goods to market, and completely rules out any goods where time is of the essence (e.g. fashion-driven items like shoes and clothing).
3. Clogged, slow-moving seaports. Again, timeliness is often of the greatest importance in industries where fashions frequently change: nobody is going to wait 6 months for their shoe orders to clear Apapa.
4. Lack of access to reliable power (and no, even the biggest generators don't count).
5. A consistently overvalued official exchange-rate, thanks to the persistent Nigerian delusion that this is the key to a "strong" Naira (as opposed to simply refraining from printing excess money to cover hugely inflated wage-bills and redundant layers of useless "government" ).

So in this aspects , I expected / expect Ghana to be better than Nigeria .
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by omohayek: 8:38am On Jan 06, 2020
grandstar:

My biggest worry is the crash of the Yuan. This will make many Chinese goods very competitive again and it will reverbrate globally. The countries that will be most affected will be in Asia like Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam. I see the IMF putting our a lot of fires. These countries produce goods similar to those of China.
I’m not sure the Chinese could easily go that route even if they wanted to. There’s nothing stopping other countries from joining in the competitive devaluation game, which would cancel out any temporary advantage China gains, and in any case a huge slump in the Yuan would only spur further capital flight of the kind that has already led to overheated housing markets in Australia, Canada and the UK: money fleeing China is money that can’t substitute for the easy loans Chinese banks would no longer be able to dole out to the SOEs.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by grandstar(m): 8:51am On Jan 06, 2020
omohayek:

I’m not sure the Chinese could easily go that route even if they wanted to. There’s nothing stopping other countries from joining in the competitive devaluation game, which would cancel out any temporary advantage China gains, and in any case a huge slump in the Yuan would only spur further capital flight of the kind that has already led to overheated housing markets in Australia, Canada and the UK: money fleeing China is money that can’t substitute for the easy loans Chinese banks would no longer be able to dole out to the SOEs.

China won't deliberately go the devaluation route. It will instead be a fallout of it. It will be something beyond their control.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by BitCraftman: 8:54am On Jan 06, 2020
unfavorable atmosphere.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 9:07am On Jan 06, 2020
grandstar:

I 100% agree with you. Even Nigerians living in China that acted as middlemen have started departing the country.

Let me digress a bit. What do you think will happen is the Chinese debt mountain unravels? Can it ever unravel considering most of these debts are owed to state-owned banks that may never call them in lest it starts a run?

Will the Communist party ever be able to put a brake on the reckless lennding considering it may lead to a slowdown which may dent the party's fortunes? The party enjoins legitimacy only be bringing prosperity to the populace. A slowdown or worse, a recession does the exact opposite. Cleaning up the banks will see the closure of many SOE's and with it, millions of jobs.

I doubt the growing debt burden is sustainable. A Bloomberg article stated nowhere in the world has such a debt burden ended without catastrophic consequences. Is China immune?

Grandstar why do you think China doesn't want to privatize it's banking system ?
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by omohayek: 10:42am On Jan 06, 2020
The Wall Street Journal has just published a very interesting video on attempts to bring automation to the garment industry, and the possible ramifications for the south-east Asian countries that currently dominate the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsSDI8wWAyQ

At least two things stand out from the video, namely

1. The ubiquity of electric sowing machines even in the factories located in places like Bangladesh. As I said before, even the largest generators won't be price-competitive with power from a grid, and that power will have to be ultra-reliable, as you can't have workers sitting idly around while orders fall behind schedule, especially in such a cost-dominated, highly competitive industry.

2. The emphasis on education as the best protection against impending automation of the textiles industry. When Bill Gates stressed this on his visit to Nigeria 2 years ago, any number of loudmouths and Buhari apologists popped up trying to deny the obvious, but the man was clearly right: individual companies like Microsoft and Apple, with smaller workforces than a single Lagos neighborhood, generate more economic value in a year than all of Nigeria, and that Nigerian figure is already inflated by oil rents which Nigerians have nothing to do with (it's not as if we were the ones to put the oil into the ground). No country has ever successfully industrialized and gone on to "developed" status without first implementing universal, high-quality education at least up to the junior-secondary level, but Nigeria hasn't even managed universal primary-school attendance in the north, even as the northern population continues to explode due to lack of family planning. Has anyone seen Buhari give even a hint of awareness of the issue?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by grandstar(m): 11:25am On Jan 06, 2020
urahara:

Grandstar why do you think China doesn't want to privatize it's banking system ?

It is an easy source of cheap loans for which they use to finance state policies. The party simply tells the banks where to pump money to.. The party can order the banks not to call in the loans when they go bad.

If privatized, the banks can no longer be bossed around and will call in bad loans.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 11:59am On Jan 06, 2020
grandstar:

It is an easy source of cheap loans for which they use to finance state policies. The party simply tells the banks where to pump money to.. The party can order the banks not to call in the loans when they go bad.

If privatized, the banks can no longer be bossed around and will call in bad loans.
Arm chair analysis
The current banking system works for China
That is what has made it the 2nd economy and the government with the most cash surplus in the World
There is no where in the Quran, bible or IFA where it says privatized banking is good for all nations
So the underlying assumption that privatized banks are good or desirable needs interrogation

There is a difference between privatizing existing government banks and opening the sector space for non state players

Any analysis that proceeds on the basis of predetermined assumptions about what is good is not analysis at all.it is religion

It was private banks that brought the world to its knees in 2008 financial crisis. This was down to bad loans . The banks were bailed out around the world by the Fed and other central banks with taxpayers money
. It is funny how folk spout all these dogmas about privatisation without studying history
For the first time we heard
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Privatized banks in the West acted quite irresponsibly in funding a housing bubble
Today in the UK with the so called Help to Buy scheme banks are allocating capital to the housing industry under government steer.
Let us not deceive ourselves about the purity of capitalism anywhere

Bad loans had a greater impact in the West than in China which continued to grow since 2008 whilst the West stagnated
There is no perfect system.
What would for China might not work for Germany and vice versa
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 1:06pm On Jan 06, 2020
omohayek:

When fpi investors are going to a country to invest.why don't they put their dollars in a dollar account inorder to prevent losses due to devaluation ?
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by grandstar(m): 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2020
0monnak0da:

Arm chair analysis
That is what has made it the 2nd economy and the government with the most cash surplus in the World
There is no where in the Quran, bible or IFA where it says privatized banking is good for all nations
So the underlying assumption that privatized banks are good or desirable needs interrogation

There is a difference between privatizing existing government banks and opening the sector space for non state players

Any analysis that proceeds on the basis of predetermined assumptions about what is good is not analysis at all.it is religion

It was private banks that brought the world to its knees in 2008 financial crisis. This was down to bad loans . The banks were bailed out around the world by the Fed and other central banks with taxpayers money
. It is funny how folk spout all these dogmas about privatisation without studying history
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Privatized banks in the West acted quite irresponsibly in funding a housing bubble
Today in the UK with the so called Help to Buy scheme banks are allocating capital to the housing industry under government steer.

Bad loans had a greater impact in the West than in China which continued to grow since 2008 whilst the West stagnated

Thanks for your response.

Though what you state sounds plausible, so was the invincibility of the Japanese economy until it unraveled in the 1990s. Even Businessweek advised in its front page articles for US companies to adopt the Keiretsu company structures.

I don't see how building ghost cities, wasteful infrastructures, empty malls like "The Not So Great Mall of China"and so on can continue indefinitely. China in a space of 3 years used more concrete than the United States used throughout the 20th century. Most of these rests on borrowed money that have now gone bad.

Let's wait and see.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 1:29pm On Jan 06, 2020
0monnak0da:

Arm chair analysis

TOO BIG TO FAIL

I would like to ask , how is that the mistake of private banks in the u.s spread to the entries world ?
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 1:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
urahara:

I would like to ask , how is that the mistake of private banks in the u.s spread to the entries world ?
I am sure you want to ask a good question. I just do not comprehend it
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 2:03pm On Jan 06, 2020
0monnak0da:

I am sure you want to ask a good question. I just do not comprehend it

The financial crisis started in the u.s.How was it able to affect other countries in the world. It even affected South Africa.

How was the mistake of banks in just United States develop into a world wide crisis.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2020
grandstar:

Thanks for your response.

Though what you state sounds plausible, so was the invincibility of the Japanese economy until it unraveled in the 1990s. Even Businessweek advised in its front page articles for US companies to adopt the Keiretsu company structures.

I don't see how building ghost cities, wasteful infrastructures, empty malls like "The Not So Great Mall of China"and so on can continue indefinitely. China in a space of 3 years used more concrete than the United States used throughout the 20th century. Most of these rests on borrowed money that have now gone bad.

Let's wait and see.
I am always wary of points made using random fact like the value of Pi to 10 decimal points or how much cement or condoms China uses daily.
Not only is it irrelevant it does not buttress your point
My point is that there is no proven economic model for all people everywhere. Capitalism is useful but that doesn't mean it is perfect.
Let us refrain from spouting western ideas, ideals or models as if they are from God.
The important thing is to respond to your own circumstances appropriately.
Once China was completely communist but not so now. That is responsiveness.
The idea that China must privatize its banks or that failing to do so is some unforgivable sin is what I take issue with.
Privatized banks can make disastrous decisions too as we found out in 2008.
There is no economic formula for all times
Let us assume yor claims about loans gone bad are true in China
Did that not happen to a greater degree in the US in Spain and elsewhere?
What has it got to do with banks being private?
How come in the immediate fallout since 2008the US economy has struggled whilst the Chinese economy has doubled in size?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 2:23pm On Jan 06, 2020
urahara:

The financial crisis started in the u.s.How was it able to affect other countries in the world. It even affected South Africa.

How was the mistake of banks in just United States develop into a world wide crisis.
That is a good question with a long response but I am sorry it is a tangential to and a digression from the point I was making.
My point was that banks make disastrous decisions whether they are privatized or government owned and so recommending privatization of banks in China has no evidential basis
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by omohayek: 2:58pm On Jan 06, 2020
urahara:

When fpi investors are going to a country to invest.why don't they put their dollars in a dollar account inorder to prevent losses due to devaluation ?
Because the US Dollar isn't legal tender within China's borders, and ultimately Chinese businesses have to pay their workers, their taxes, their domestic suppliers and all other such expenses in the only currency the Chinese government will permit. To allow what you suggest would be tantamount to dollarization of the Chinese economy, which would mean a total surrender of Chinese monetary policy to the US Federal Reserve.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 3:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
Here is the elephant in the room

China and India have similar demographics
The one has always been a democracy, always followed the textbooks from Western perspective yet the other with state owned companies is growing at a scale India can only fantasize about.
How do we explaini that?

Any we need to strengthen cooperation and integration in West Africa
New should aim for dominance of our currency and to develop manufacturing In the region
Let us take fishing e.g currently Chinese and European come and fish off West Africa and take it away while our people starve.

What value could industrial fishing add to the GDP of the region?
Not just NIKE but clothing entire. We should make everything we wear but the strategy must be regional
We cannot prosper in isolation whilst our neighbouring countries are hungry.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by baralatie(m): 4:21pm On Jan 06, 2020
^^^ it is not as palatable nor as straight as one would have it
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by baralatie(m): 4:23pm On Jan 06, 2020
integration of west Africa is already compromised by member states therefore it is everybody for himself
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by omohayek: 4:57pm On Jan 06, 2020
Rosskii:

You're obviously a little white imbec.ile sent here to talk rubbish in furtherance of your neo-nazi white supremacist horse manure.

Kindly take you bullshit analysis dripping in prejudice and ignorance and stick it up your pink backside.
As I said, all you are is a highly insecure ignoramus with a foul mouth, quick to resort to spurious accusations of racism to cover for the knowledge and intelligence you sorely lack (your own awareness of which no doubt informs your love of ad hominems). They say empty barrels make the most noise, and they certainly don’t come much emptier than you do! You are Dunning-Kruger personified, too feeble-minded to even to begin to comprehend how shortchanged you are in brainpower.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by urahara(m): 5:52pm On Jan 06, 2020
0monnak0da:

How come in the immediate fallout since 2008the US economy has struggled whilst the Chinese economy has doubled in size?

The u.s hasn't struggled since 2008, growth rates of 2 to 5 percent are great for a developed country like the u.s

It's wrong to expect the u.s to be growing the way China is growing because developed countries which are already at the technological frontier don't have much room to grow.

It's like asking why an adult is not growing as fast as a child.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by Banmeallday: 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2020
The OP has a Nigger mentality....Instead of why we cant make our own shoes he is there wanting us to enrich Nike....

Nonsense
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by 0monnak0da: 9:11pm On Jan 06, 2020
urahara:

The u.s hasn't struggled since 2008, growth rates of 2 to 5 percent are great for a developed country like the u.s

It's wrong to expect the u.s to be growing the way China is growing because developed countries which are already at the technological frontier don't have much room to grow.

It's like asking why an adult is not growing as fast as a child.

Guy there is a difference between massaging facts and lying .
Do not distort facts or the issue under discussion

We were talking about bank privatization .
Comparing China with the US
In 2008 there was a financial crisis as a result of bank behaviour in the US which led to unprecedented government intervention. Quantitative easing and zero percent interest rates.
These two actions are exactly the kind o COMMUNIST intervention the West criticised China banks for.
Still the US went into a recession and the economy did STRUGGLE
Trying to tell us that the US enjoyed growth of 2-5 % is simply A LIE.
First at the start of the period it was in recession.
The spin that that is a good level is just dishonest

First compare with the previous decade where there was an economic boom.
After 2008 the growth when it eventually came was a jobless one.
Re: Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? by Tianamen1: 11:55am On Jan 09, 2020
0monnak0da:
Here is the elephant in the room

China and India have similar demographics
The one has always been a democracy, always followed the textbooks from Western perspective yet the other with state owned companies is growing at a scale India can only fantasize about.
How do we explaini that?

Any we need to strengthen cooperation and integration in West Africa
New should aim for dominance of our currency and to develop manufacturing In the region
Let us take fishing e.g currently Chinese and European come and fish off West Africa and take it away while our people starve.

What value could industrial fishing add to the GDP of the region?
Not just NIKE but clothing entire. We should make everything we wear but the strategy must be regional
We cannot prosper in isolation whilst our neighbouring countries are hungry.

I read that democracy stated in ancient Greece and philosophers like Socrates hated democracy because each citizen, no matter how dull and ill informed has the same power as everyone else.

In management sciences, we are taught that people tend to be drawn to people who mirror their understanding, so in a society with a higher percentage of illiterates, politicians who appeal to illiterates because of their worldview would always find themselves in the corridor of power.

The Western World chose to prioritize public education investing massively and forcing both rich and poor to attend these schools. humans are naturally self interested so when everyone has to attend similar schools, the quality of public schools would be high.

The Developing world hasn't prioritized public education so democracy cannot work properly as Socrates earlier postulated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Marriage Ended, It Did Not Collapse — Ffk’s Estranged Wife, Precious (photos) / Can You Do This With Nigerian Police? [picture] / See What They Are Doing To Innocent People In Imo State - VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.