Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,088 members, 7,842,126 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide (59001 Views)

Nigerian Government Calls New York Policemen On Anti-buhari Protesters / Suhaila Ibrahim Zakzaky With Soleimani's Daughter In Iran (Photos) / IGP Adamu Orders For Investigation Of Policemen Displaying APC 4+4 Sign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 7:13am On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

You are correct! I got the info after the fact. Matter of fact, I have no priviledge access to classified info. What I do is analyse the info to learn my own lesson from it.

Anytime there is public info on security alert I know US has a copy of it.....more times than not the intelligence was dispatched from them to our National Security Adviser, who then forwards to security apparatus.

US always send advisory if the intelligence is pregnant with babies. On issues like we are discussing now US will issue advisory and close its Abuja embassy....but will leave Lagos open.

Since this new face off, I am yet to see any advisory from US.

I am not one of those condemning the IGP for doing his work. I believe going by precedence and some pockets of rallies in North already chanting death to America (assuming its true) an alert is indeed required. However, i have problem withbhim stretvhing the alert to cover Nigeria as a whole.

It was not issued based on intelligence on terror, otherwise a US advisory would have gone out.

It was issued based on precedence. That precedence has known limits. IGP insulted South by including us in his alert. Boss, This is my issue with IGP. grin

If your issue is with the alert covering the whole of Nigeria, then I've already addressed that. I'll tag you in the post
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 7:14am On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

You are correct! I got the info after the fact. Matter of fact, I have no priviledge access to classified info. What I do is analyse the info to learn my own lesson from it.

Anytime there is public info on security alert I know US has a copy of it.....more times than not the intelligence was dispatched from them to our National Security Adviser, who then forwards to security apparatus.

US always send advisory if the intelligence is pregnant with babies. On issues like we are discussing now US will issue advisory and close its Abuja embassy....but will leave Lagos open.

Since this new face off, I am yet to see any advisory from US.

I am not one of those condemning the IGP for doing his work. I believe going by precedence and some pockets of rallies in North already chanting death to America (assuming its true) an alert is indeed required. However, i have problem withbhim stretvhing the alert to cover Nigeria as a whole.

It was not issued based on intelligence on terror, otherwise a US advisory would have gone out.

It was issued based on precedence. That precedence has known limits. IGP insulted South by including us in his alert. Boss, This is my issue with IGP. grin

naptu2:
The IGP was right to take this action and he would have been right to take this action even if he hadn't gotten intelligence reports that there would be trouble.

There have often been riots and protests in Nigeria over things that do not have anything to do with Nigeria and the IGP is right to take action to prevent this and to stop it as soon as it starts. It's also right that this should be a nationwide alert because riots in the north have led to violence in the south when corpses were returned to the south for burial. Violence in the south have also led to violence in the north when corpses were returned for burial.

This red alert should mean that riot policemen are ready to move at short notice. It should mean that police commanders like DPOs, Commissioners and AIGs should meet with religious, traditional and other community leaders to get them to talk to their people on the need to maintain peace. It should also mean that police commanders should be on the look out for any signs of trouble, so that they can nip it in the bud. Lastly, it should mean that policemen are discreetly deployed to protect vulnerable places and high value targets like churches, embassies, etc.
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by MetaPhysical: 7:24am On Jan 06, 2020
Naptu,
Let me ask to do two things.

1. What is the alert from IGP for?
Is it terror, religious uprising from muslims or shiites?

You are master of history, we come to you for recalls from national archives.

2. Can you give me a recall of a time we had religious riot in South?
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 06, 2020
charliboy654:

Someone that upload this kind of picture in 2020, who will take you serious.
If u hate southerners so much why don't you agitate that the country be divided.
If you continue like this you hatred will kill you b4 the end of January. I have never seen some much hatred packed in one person b4.

the guy is dumb but kindly take down his photo please for his privacy sake.
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 7:34am On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Naptu,
Let me ask to do two things.

1. What is the alert from IGP for?
Is it terror, religious uprising from muslims or shiites?

You are master of history, we come to you for recalls from national archives.

2. Can you give me a recall of a time we had religious riot in South?

I'm on the road at the moment and I don't just want to tell you about this thing. I want you to read it for yourself. (It's kind of difficult typing on this bumpy road).

But I'll give you a short response.

1) The IGP says that it's in response to intelligence reports. We don't yet know the contents of those reports.

2) These things might start out as religious crisis, but they quickly become ethnic crises. There was an instance when there was a religious crisis in the north and corpses were brought back to Onitsha and there was violence against northerners as a result.

During the 2001 violence against northerners in Nigeria, there was violence southerners in Kano as a consequence
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by MetaPhysical: 7:42am On Jan 06, 2020
naptu2:

I'm on the road at the moment and I don't just want to tell you about this thing. I want you to read it for yourself. (It's kind of difficult typing on this bumpy road).

But I'll give you a short response.

1) The IGP says that it's in response to intelligence reports. We don't yet know the contents of those reports.

2) These things might start out as religious crisis, but they quickly become ethnic crises. There was an instance when there was a religious crisis in the north and corpses were brought back to Onitsha and there was violence against northerners as a result.

During the 2001 violence against northerners in Nigeria, there was violence southerners in Kano as a consequence

Please drive safely.

We will talk later. Me sef get errands to go run.

Later boss! grin
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by West2019(m): 8:03am On Jan 06, 2020
Ryan03:
some persons are already carrying banner and the force is already suspecting violence from them. That is the reason for the post so how is the IGP a fool? Is this the first time it is happening? So why call the man a fool?
mr understanding ,,the people's that are prostesting are them going to fight American or who are them going to fight wit ? or are them going to fight Christian .to clear ur mentality this a military duty to take over Nigeria in case of any attack from Iran .Iran are not happy for the fact them ask the Nigeria government to free the Islamic leader that in prison which FG say No, despite court granted him bail , the boko haram who do you think supply those guys arms .is general solimania that killed by American , Israel set they Army on alrtand here IG set police on alert , who are the personnel fighting the boko haram in the battle field ? we need a word from the chief of Army staff or the bubu not IG .
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 8:04am On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Please drive safely.

Later boss! grin

Most of the specific examples that I’m looking for occurred between 1999-2001 and it will be difficult to find those ones because most Nigerian websites that existed at that time no longer exist. However, this unfortunate incidents have occurred so many times that there are many more recent examples that I can post. This is one of them.

Danish cartoons and reprisal violence in Onitsha

At least 120 killed in sectarian strife in Nigeria

Christians deface mosques in lingering reaction to cartoon controversy

updated 2/23/2006 6:07:11 PM ET

ONITSHA, Nigeria — Christians in this southern Nigerian city burned Muslim corpses and defaced wrecked mosques Thursday after days of sectarian strife that has killed more than 120 people across the country.

With 80 people killed, Onitsha has borne the brunt of the violence that followed weekend protests over the publication of cartoons of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad.

A Muslim district of about 100 homes was burned to the ground, and crumpled corrugated tin roofs lay on top of the remains of smoldering houses Thursday.

Ifeanyi Ese, a 34-year-old Christian, stood amid the concrete rubble of a mosque. “We don’t want these mosques here anymore. These people are causing all the problems all over the world because they don’t fear God,” he said.

He angrily scrawled “Mohammed is a man, but Jesus is from above” with a burned stick on a shattered wall.

At least nine charred bodies lay in dirt streets as passers-by hurried past, holding cloths to their noses against the stench. Three other bodies burned on a pyre of flaming tires.

Muslims flee city
About 5,000 Muslims fled the city and took refuge across the Niger River in the neighboring town of Asaba. Several hundred sat beneath trees at a police barracks there, asking for help to travel northward as babies wailed.

Trucks that usually carry fruit and other goods to market were packed with Muslims heading north. It was not known how many Muslims lived in Onitsha.

Adam Mohamed, a 40-year-old Muslim motorcycle mechanic, said mobs attacked and robbed Muslims as they fled across a bridge connecting the two cities.

“Some were killed. Others were thrown from the bridge into the water,” Mohamed said. “These people attacked us, burned our mosques and killed our people. But by God’s grace, I escaped.”

Renewal of old violence
Thousands of Nigerians have died in sectarian strife since 2000, when mostly Muslim northern states began implementing Islamic Shariah law. Nigeria’s 130 million people are almost entirely split between the two faiths, with Christians a majority in the south.

The most recent killings began when Muslim protests against the cartoons Saturday in the northern city of Maiduguri turned violent and 18 people, mostly Christians, were slain.

Twenty-five died in similar violence in the northern city of Bauchi, sparking reprisals against Muslims in Onitsha.

A spokeswoman for the Nigerian Red Cross, Umo Okon, said 925 people were killed, injured or displaced in violence in Onitsha over the past two days.

Emeka Umeh, who heads Civil Liberties Organization, a leading human rights group, said at least 60 people were killed in Onitsha Tuesday, followed by 20 Wednesday.

Many Muslims in the city Thursday seemed resigned to their fate.

‘All we can do is run’
“The prophet told us to accept what happens to us because it is our destiny,” said Abdul Salaam Danbuzu, a 26-year-old shepherd from neighboring Niger. “We’re a small community and now we must all leave. All we can do is run.”

Gov. Chris Ngige extended a curfew imposed on Onitsha to the nearby towns of Nnewi and the state capital of Awka, where Muslim northerners were attacked and killed Wednesday, local government radio reported.

Deaths also were reported by residents in violence Wednesday against Muslims in Enugu, a mainly Christian and ethnic Igbo-dominated city about 60 miles north of Onitsha.

The latest outbreak of fighting is the worst to hit Nigeria since 2004, when Muslim-Christian skirmishes in northern Nigeria’s Plateau and Kano states killed more than 700 people.

The cartoons that reignited Muslim-Christian tension in Nigeria have become the object of protests around the world since they were published in a Danish newspaper. One caricature shows Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban with a lit fuse.

Islam widely holds that representations of Muhammad are banned for fear they could lead to idolatry.

“The Muslims brought this fracas,” said Ezekiel Haledon, a Christian, looking at a burned body in a potholed street in Onitsha, its teeth bared by scorched lips.

“It’s not a Christian act to kill your neighbor,” he said. “But it’s like that.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11527911/ns/world_news-africa/t/least-killed-sectarian-strife-nigeria/#.XhLaJFVKjIU
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 8:15am On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Please drive safely.

Later boss! grin

This is the reverse of the earlier article I posted and it refers to some of the previous violence that I mentioned. This time it's northerners attacking southerners in retaliation for attacks against northerners in the south.

In 1999 and 2004, southerners and northern Christian in Kano were attacked in reprisal for the killing of northern Muslims in some southern cities.
http://www.nsrp-nigeria.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PolBrief-Kano-State-Govt-Response-to-Violent-Conflict.pdf
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 8:21am On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Please drive safely.

Later boss! grin

That previous article about killings in Onitsha due to the riots about the Danish cartoons was from 2006. This report below is from 2012. These are the kind of things that the IGP is trying to prevent.

Anambra And Delta States, Still Tense As Northerners Flee Onitsha After Police Killing
There was still tension this afternoon in Onitsha, the commercial city of Anambra State, and Asaba the capital of Delta State, following a clashes and reprisal attacks against northerners in Onitsha in which two Hausas may have been killed.

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORK
FEB 09, 2012

There was still tension this afternoon in Onitsha, the commercial city of Anambra State, and Asaba the capital of Delta State, following a clashes and reprisal attacks against northerners in Onitsha in which two Hausas may have been killed.

Bloody clashes sparked by a police killing of bus driver in Onitsha was connected to the incessant killing of the Igbos in the Northern part of the country by the Boko Haram sect.

Commercial and vehicular activities were disrupted in ever-busy Onitsha during the clashes as people scampered for their lives.

In Asaba, the ‘B’ Divisional Police Station of the Delta State Police Command became a refugee camp as scores of Nigerians of Northern origin fled into it for protection.

When this reporter visited the Command, there were over 200 of the returnees from Onitsha at the police station, and at least six of them were spotting machete injuries. They were treated at the police clinic.
There was panic in the popular Abraka area, a district that most northerners in Asaba reside in and carry out economic activities, as the refugees were being brought in batches.

Although there was no form of attack in the area, sources said hoodlums had cashed in on the confusion to unleash mayhem on some northerners in Asaba. One of the injured claimed he was attacked by hoodlums who dispossessed him of his motorcycle, cell phone and ATM card.

There was a huge sigh of relief from the general anxiety when the police started patrolling the area through to the River Niger head bridge to prevent the crisis from spreading into Asaba as well as douse the mounting tension around Abraka area.

The Divisional Police Officer in-charge of ‘B’ Division, Usman Yusuf assured that the situation was already being controlled. He said the police would do everything possible to protect lives and property in the area and ensure that nobody was attacked irrespective of place of region.

The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Charles Muka, described Asaba as “peaceful,” stressimg there was no crisis between the Hausa and Ibo communities in Asaba. “It was Onitsha we heard that there is misunderstanding between the Hausa and Ibo communities not in Asaba and as I talk to you now our men have taken position in all Hausa settlements in Asaba and its environs so there is no cause for alarm,” he said.

Muka debunked rumours of any killing in Asaba as according to him. “No single person lost his or her life in Asaba regarding that issue,” he stated.

Meanwhile, faced with unprecedented crimes in Warri, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Mamman Tsafe, has relocated to Warri area of the state. Armed robbery and kidnapping have become almost a daily affair in Warri and its environs.

http://saharareporters.com/2012/02/09/anambra-and-delta-states-still-tense-northerners-flee-onitsha-after-police-killing
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Ryan03(f): 8:32am On Jan 06, 2020
West2019:
mr understanding ,,the people's that are prostesting are them going to fight American or who are them going to fight wit ? or are them going to fight Christian .to clear ur mentality this a military duty to take over Nigeria in case of any attack from Iran .Iran are not happy for the fact them ask the Nigeria government to free the Islamic leader that in prison which FG say No, despite court granted him bail , the boko haram who do you think supply those guys arms .is general solimania that killed by American , Israel set they Army on alrtand here IG set police on alert , who are the personnel fighting the boko haram in the battle field ? we need a word from the chief of Army staff or the bubu not IG .
are you aware that the duty of internal security lies with the police? The IG is after internal security against those who plan to go violent not trying to engage in external fights. If you still font understand after this, abeg go rest
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Octopusssy(f): 9:02am On Jan 06, 2020
naptu2:

That previous article about killings in Onitsha due to the riots about the Danish cartoons was from 2006. This report below is from 2012. These are the kind of things that the IGP is trying to prevent.

http://saharareporters.com/2012/02/09/anambra-and-delta-states-still-tense-northerners-flee-onitsha-after-police-killing
And as usual the culprits to blame is ignorance. You can never find enlightened people causing civil unrest and nuisance over what is happening yonder countries.
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by West2019(m): 11:18am On Jan 06, 2020
Ryan03:
are you aware that the duty of internal security lies with the police? The IG is after internal security against those who plan to go violent not trying to engage in external fights. If you still font understand after this, abeg go rest
internal wat why are the police running away from boko haram? why are not dem in the battle field ,why did the IG refuse to deployed them to Northeast .
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 06, 2020
I now understand before all these Muslims start doing nonsense. One of my fears is that if a war starts males would start being kidnapped to be illegally conscripted into the war. Trust those useless Americans. But last last Hitler wasted his strength on the Jews he should have looked to these muslims undecidedundecided
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by ijayaone: 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2020
ode
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by FlordFlorez(m): 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
Enwhen:

Wait and see how your brothers in the north will starts attacking christians
Brothers? North? God forbid!
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by osazsky(m): 1:07pm On Jan 06, 2020
Oga ig wants to be noticed always ranting which security measures did u put in place sir if I may ask
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by wellmax(m): 1:08pm On Jan 06, 2020
profnigga:

I CAN C DAT U RE HEADSMEN ...

Yes.

What else
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 06, 2020
payperpost:

the guy is dumb but kindly take down his photo please for his privacy sake.
He uploaded it on his profile, he obviously doesn't care about his in own privacy

1 Like

Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 06, 2020
Ryan03:
Boko Haram is actually an internal struggle, in US, the FBI and cia take on terrorist, u know the FBI are also Police. Can Nigeria police do what the FBI does?
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Madara12(m): 1:47pm On Jan 06, 2020
naptu2:
Nigeria Police Force @PoliceNG

https://twitter.com/PoliceNG/status/1213889418001604608
Oh my God, illiteracy at its peak, my belle oooo, lolz

Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by MetaPhysical: 2:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
naptu2:

Yeah, but these are reprisal attacks in South to avenge victims of religious attacks in North.

These samples cannot be counted as religious attack. South has never had a religious attack even though Muslims and Christians cohabit in communities all over South.

If there is intelligence that oil workers would be abducted and oil pipelines and operations would be attacked by militants, will the IGP issue a nationwide red alert?
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 2:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Yeah, but these are reprisal attacks in South to avenge victims of religious attacks in North.

These samples cannot be counted as religious attack. South has never had a religious attack even though Muslims and Christians cohabit in communities all over South.

If there is intelligence that oil workers would be abducted and oil pipelines and operations would be attacked by militants, will the IGP issue a nationwide red alert?

Have you read the first article that I posted? Let's talk after you read that article (the Danish cartoon article).
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 2:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
Iran: Reconsider Travelling To Nigeria, US Warns Citizens
https://www.nairaland.com/5616689/iran-reconsider-travelling-nigeria-us
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by Czartega(m): 3:28pm On Jan 06, 2020
naptu2:
Nigeria Police Force @PoliceNG

https://twitter.com/PoliceNG/status/1213889418001604608

taqiyya!... he's indirectly telling the hoodlums and miscreants to initiate their attack... rubbish
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 3:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

The facts should be perfectly obvious now, except if you are arguing just for the sake of it.

There have been many of these reprisal attacks, but I deliberately chose those articles. The issue, as you pointed out, is about lessons learnt.

1) There were attacks against northerners in Lagos c2001. Corpses of people that were killed in these attacks were taken to Kano in open trucks. People in Kano saw these corpses and went crazy. There were reprisal attacks on southerners in Kano.

People complained. "WHY DID THE POLICE NOT ANTICIPATE THESE ATTACKS? WHY DID THEY ALLOW PEOPLE TO CARRY CORPSES IN OPEN TRUCKS INTO THE CITY?

2) A Danish magazine published cartoons about Prophet Muhammad. This led to riots in Maiduguri and Kano in 2006. Christians and southerners were killed in those riots. The news got to the south. Violence erupted in Onitsha. Youths targeted Muslims and northerners. Mosques were burnt. More people were killed in Onitsha than in any other city that experienced the riots. There was also violence in Enugu and Asaba.

Ngerians complained. "WHY DIDN'T THE POLICE ANTICIPATE THESE REPRISAL ATTACKS? HOW COULDN'T THEY HAVE KNOWN THAT THERE WOULD BE REPRISALS?? Dr Ona Ekhomu was brought onto several TV shows to talk about the inability of the police to be proactive, to gather intelligence, and to put its men on alert to prevent or reduce these incidents.

3) A policeman killed a bus driver in Onitsha and Onitsha people were already fed up of northerners because of Boko Haram attacks. They found out that the policeman was a northerner and they immediately began attacking northerners.

Now, you have admitted that the red alert is justified because of the threat of violence in the north, but you said that your grievance is that it should have been confined to the north.

Do you really think that the police has not learnt from previous incidents? Don't you know that this is why the red alert is national? The police has now realised that there is a danger that there could be reprisal attacks and they are preparing for that, is there anything wrong in that?

Many southern/Christian youths have declared that they are ready to teach northerners/Muslims that no one has a monopoly of violence and I think that's what's behind the reprisal attacks. If there's violence in the north today and southerners/Christians are attacked, then there's a high probability of reprisals in the south. It is the job of the police to prevent these two things from happening and to ensure that they do not escalate if they do occur.

The US has just issued a travel advisory to its citizens, despite the fact that it's citizens have not been attacked. They did not wait for their citizens to be attacked first before issuing the advisory.

Similarly, most people would not have expected that there would have been reprisal attacks in Onitsha. There have been riots in the north for decades, but we haven't really had these reprisal attacks until the 2000s and the police have learnt that they should not wait until there are attacks before they take action and that these attacks can occur in any state

That's lessons learnt and there's absolutely nothing wrong with what the police have done. They've simply done their job

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by MetaPhysical: 3:51pm On Jan 06, 2020
naptu2:
MetaPhysical:

The facts should be perfectly obvious now, except if you are arguing just for the sake of it.

There have been many of these reprisal attacks, but I deliberately chose those articles. The issue, as you pointed out, is about lessons learnt.

1) There were attacks against northerners in Lagos c2001. Corpses of people that were killed in these attacks were taken to Kano in open trucks. People in Kano saw these corpses and went crazy. There were reprisal attacks on southerners in Kano.

People complained. "WHY DID THE POLICE NOT ANTICIPATE THESE ATTACKS? WHY DID THEY ALLOW PEOPLE TO CARRY CORPSES IN OPEN TRUCKS INTO THE CITY?

2) A Danish magazine published cartoons about Prophet Muhammad. This led to riots in Maiduguri and Kano in 2006. Christians and southerners were killed in those riots. The news got to the south. Violence erupted in Onitsha. Youths targeted Muslims and northerners. Mosques were burnt. More people were killed in Onitsha than in any other city that experienced the riots. There was also violence in Enugu and Asaba.

Ngerians complained. "WHY DIDN'T THE POLICE ANTICIPATE THESE REPRISAL ATTACKS? HOW COULDN'T THEY HAVE KNOWN THAT THERE WOULD BE REPRISALS?? Dr Ona Ekhomu was brought onto several TV shows to talk about the inability of the police to be proactive, to gather intelligence, and to put its men on alert to prevent or reduce these incidents.

3) A policeman killed a bus driver in Onitsha and Onitsha people were already fed up of northerners because of Boko Haram attacks. They found out that the policeman was a northerner and they immediately began attacking northerners.

Now, you have admitted that the red alert is justified because of the threat of violence in the north, but you said that your grievance is that it should have been confined to the north.

Do you really think that the police has not learnt from previous incidents? Don't you know that this is why the red alert is national? The police has now realised that there is a danger that there could be reprisal attacks and they are preparing for that, is there anything wrong in that?

The US has just issued a travel advisory to its citizens, despite the fact that it's citizens have not been attacked. They did not wait for their citizens to be attacked first before issuing the advisory.

Similarly, most people would not have expected that there would have been reprisal attacks in Onitsha. There have been riots in the north for decades, but we haven't really had these reprisal attacks until the 2000s and the police have learnt that they should not wait until there are attacks before they take action and that these attacks can occur in any state

That's lessons learnt and there's absolutely nothing wrong with what the police have done. They've simply done their job

No, not at all...this is not a frivolous exchange, there is a political undertone to my disagreement.

Yes Northerners were killed in Sagamu....ethnic, not religious.

All the instances of attacks in South has always been ethnic, never religious.

Lets cut this short.
Naptu, there are pipelines all over the country....all way to Kaduna.

If militants in South issue threat to attack pipelines will IGP issue a nationwide alert?

He dare not...the Northerners will chew him out and quickly ask him to limit the alert to South.

We in South are not religious fanatics, wether muslim or christian, why is a potential danger taken out of context of "lessons learnt" applied to us in this nationwide alert?

Why couldnt it just be for North?
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by naptu2: 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

No, not at all...this is not a frivolous exchange, there is a political undertone to my disagreement.

Yes Northerners were killed in Sagamu....ethnic, not religious.

All the instances of attacks in South has always been ethnic, never religious.

Lets cut this short.
Naptu, there are pipelines all over the country....all way to Kaduna.

If militants in South issue threat to attack pipelines will IGP issue a nationwide alert?

He dare not...the Northerners will chew him out and quickly ask him to limit the alert to South.

We in South are not religious fanatics, wether muslim or christian, why is a potential danger taken out of context of "lessons learnt" applied to us in this nationwide alert?

Why couldnt it just be for North?

This is why I asked if the argument was genuine. You can't have read the article about the Danish cartoon and say that all conflicts in the south have been ethnic not religious. Should I quote from the article?

1 Like

Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by MetaPhysical: 5:16pm On Jan 06, 2020
Here it is, I see it and already responded.

In north christians were targeted. These included northern christians, midbelt christians, southwest christians, ss christians, se christians.

In Onitsha, nother muslims lived there, midbelt muslims lived there, sw muslims lived there, ss muslims livsd there and se muslims lived in Onitsha. Can you not see that only northern muslims were attacked? It is not religious but ethnic.

I repeat, we have never had a religious conflict in South....and no one should paint us with that brush.
Re: Death Of Soleimani: Nigerian IGP Adamu Places Policemen On Red Alert Nationwide by MetaPhysical: 5:20pm On Jan 06, 2020
Naptu,
Do you even agree that it would be wrong for IGP to issue nationwide alert if militants issue specific threat against oil pipelines, knowing that oil pipelines are nationwide?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Photos; Bukola Saraki Poses With The Elected Principal Officers Of The Senate / Aregbesola Hands Over Corpse Of Adeyinka Adebayo To Fayose (Photos) / 2023 Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal Begins Hearing (Live Update)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.