Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,519 members, 7,854,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:59 PM

Gej: On The Decision To Reverse The Ban On Some Imports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej: On The Decision To Reverse The Ban On Some Imports (499 Views)

#NEVER AGAIN, As Nigerians Cheer GEJ On Facebook After Soldiers Visit / Oby Ezekwesili, Nigerians React To INEC's Decision To Shift Polls On Twitter / House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gej: On The Decision To Reverse The Ban On Some Imports by pheesayor(m): 11:26am On Dec 03, 2010
You may perhaps have read about the Federal Government's decision to lift the ban on certain imports that were previously prohibited. Some of you expressed concern about this act and its ability to negatively affect the nation's economy. In the next few days the minister of finance will give a detailed explanation of the measure with particular focus on each item and why the ban was lifted. To you my friends on facebook who have asked, I have a duty to offer an explanation even before the detailed brief from the Minister.

Today makes 210 days since I was sworn in to serve you on the 6th of May 2010. One very important task every president does is to read daily reports some of which are confidential. On a daily basis I have to take decisions in the best interest of our country based on the information available to me. I have read reports in this regard and noticed that irrespective of the ban on these items, they still find their way into Nigeria as a result of smuggling. Unpatriotic persons have capitalised on some of the lapses in our enforcement strategies by making use of neighbouring ports to import these items and ship them overland to Nigeria. The result today is that our economy is worse for it even as we are losing billions each month on duties that ought to have accrued to government. The objectives of the ban (which is to stimulate local production) is not being met. We are thus losing vital income that could bave been directed into critical sectors such as education, health and critical infrastructure.

Viewed in proper perspective what we have been doing is tantamount to pouring water into a basket and hoping to retain water!. Thus we have resolved to work on ways to tighten our border controls by investing in our Customs and Excise department and bringing them up to task in the interest of our Country. We cannot surender our economy to smugglers. Our goal is to empower our people as we embark on this journey of self-suficiency and economic ascendancy. Pending when our initiatives come on stream we have decided to adopt a multi-pronged approach to stemming the billions we lose to unpatriotic persons and also support the rise of local industry by providing the needed incentives for local production and discourging smuggling. GEJ
Re: Gej: On The Decision To Reverse The Ban On Some Imports by pheesayor(m): 11:26am On Dec 03, 2010
I think some people here have argued in his favour already, lol.

(1) (Reply)

Nuhu Ribadu For President / House Again Postpones Session With Sanusi / Nuhu Ribadu Unveils His Agenda For A New Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.