Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Beware: Fraudsters Creating Fake Customer Support On Social Media - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware: Fraudsters Creating Fake Customer Support On Social Media (278 Views)

Beware:fraudsters Now Leave Their Phones In Keke / Beware!!! Fraudsters Now Use This Trick To Empty People's Bank Account (Video) / How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beware: Fraudsters Creating Fake Customer Support On Social Media by talk2aikay(m): 6:17pm On Jan 06, 2020
Recently I had problems transferring money out of my first bank account. I tried the mobile app without success, so I switched to Quickteller, yet no show.

Unknown to me, my account was restricted due to an update issue.

Because I was desperate I started reaching out to my bank and Quickteller on social media channels.

Unfortunately I fell for an account that looked genuine enough, it was packaged and presented as the official Facebook account of first bank with the logo and other paraphernalia.

Long story short, I contacted them and they responded promptly and requested for my bank details. Luckily I had the presence of mind to give them only the account name and refused to give my account number. They kept persuading me for full disclosure which kinda made me more suspicious. In the end I decided to discontinue chatting with them.

Fast forward to today I just found out Facebook changed the account status from business to individual, and all the bank information previously associated with it had been removed. . In fact, there’s no display image on the account.

On inquiry I was told it was a phoney business account operated by a fraudster and not First Bank.

I was lucky not to fall for their antics, someone else may not be so lucky unless I share this - and that’s exactly why I’m sharing it to put everyone on alert.
Please be careful with resolving issues via social channels. Verify that the account you’re communicating with is the real and official account of your financial institution before divulging sensitive information.

I hope this saves someone a tear or two...happy new year.

PS: The screenshot shows the faceless and “logoless” account now showing “Facebook User” instead of First Bank that was there before.
More so, at the bottom of the page is a notification that I can no longer reply to the conversation.

Re: Beware: Fraudsters Creating Fake Customer Support On Social Media by talk2aikay(m): 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2020
Mods kindly move to FP to save souls.

(1) (Reply)

. / Illegal Traffic Enforcement: RRS Arrest 5 LG Staff For Extorting Motorists / Federal Polytechnic Staff Shot Dead As Ebonyi Pdp Councilorship Primary Turns Bl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.