Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby (40225 Views)

Titanic: Full-Sized Scans Shows What Happened The Night The Ship Sank (Pictures) / Scientists Discover Pencil-Sized Species Of Snake, Hiding In Plain Sight (Pics) / Astronomers Discover Non-Habitable Earth-Sized 'Pi Planet' With A 3.14-Day Orbit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by OmayieHenry(m): 8:08pm On Jan 07, 2020
Toscarel:
how do I get there? I've been tired of this planet since I was born

No be the planets tire you. Na Buhari grin grin
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Toscarel: 8:09pm On Jan 07, 2020
OmayieHenry:

No be the planets tire you. Na Buhari grin grin

but if I said the truth a swine of zonebs wouldn't sleep
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by chigoizie7(m): 8:15pm On Jan 07, 2020
But my question is, all these things they are finding up and down, what are they going to do with it?

Are they going to transport humans to go live there some day?

Let them use all those resources and make earth a better place.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 07, 2020
DarkJeddi:
grin

It takes the sun's ray/images,8 minutes to get to Earth.. shocked

That means.

The image of the Sun you are seeing at any moment in time,was sent 8 minutes ago..

You don't have to send a signal to the Sun first before you receive an image..

The light or images of these planets that gets reflected on the Telescopes today,has been on a 100 Light year's journey and are just now being captured on the Cameras. cheesy

Oyibo may be a lot of things,being f00ls are not among them.

You use a telescope at night because of light. Light is the main thing here including its speed.

Now if I see an image of the sun on earth immediately my part of the world faces the sun, it is because the sun rays had already travelled to the Earth's surface and landed on it . No new ray starts a journey when it is morning in Nigeria. Point a torch on a globe then rotate the globe . The light ray on the globe is constant, it never travels again. It doesn't travel on a new journey to touch the globe but rather it had already travelled and it is only waiting for a part of a globe to face it. All the planets are visible
to any thing on earth because light had reflected on them from the beginning of time.

In the case of this new planet that is in a very dark part of the universe, and does not reflect light , to discover it, the NASA device has to reflect light on it. My question is "how did the light from the device reach it before 100 years?"

1 Like

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by TheFearless(f): 8:32pm On Jan 07, 2020
Doesn't this point to an obvious truth that there exist an Almighty and all love creator?

Thanks you Lord.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Ken4Christ: 8:55pm On Jan 07, 2020
Offpoint:
The amount these guys pumped into research for purpose of discovering any form of life, be it micro" outside the planet earth annually baffles me.

Such amount can eleviate 97% poverty on earth.

We can't even coexist with humans, yet we're seeking an alien life.... pathetic.

100 light years and they call it "Near"

For those who don't know what light years means, it means:
At the speed of light It'll take you 100 years to get there and another 100 light years back... which you know you can't get there, talk more of returning.

Even if Adam was still alive travelling to that planet, he would have just covered less than 0.2% of the journey.

It will take a space shuttle that travel 5 miles a second about 37,200 years to go one light-year. And the discovered planet is 100 light years away. So it will take 3,720,000 million years to get there. This universe is indeed big. God is awesome. I wonder how far the third heaven is. We have to travel faster than the speed of light to get to heaven in the shortest possible time when rapture takes place.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by engrchykae(m): 9:02pm On Jan 07, 2020
Romanoff:
New discoveries every day.

If it is habitable, it could be our way out of global warming with earth's depleting ozone layer.

man's disposition have been"discover and destroy"
We should limit our brutality and madness to Earth.
When we destroy our Earth with greedy extraction and finally through a nuclear war, mother nature will take care of the rest of life
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 9:19pm On Jan 07, 2020
Freehuman:

You use a telescope at night because of light. Light is the main thing here including its speed.

Now if I see an image of the sun on earth immediately my part of the world faces the sun, it is because the sun rays had already travelled to the Earth's surface and landed on it . No new ray starts a journey when it is morning in Nigeria. Point a torch on a globe then rotate the globe . The light ray on the globe is constant, it never travels again. It doesn't travel on a new journey to touch the globe but rather it had already travelled and it is only waiting for a part of a globe to face it. All the planets are visible
to any thing on earth because light had reflected on them from the beginning of time.

In the case of this new planet that is in a very dark part of the universe, and does not reflect light , to discover it, the NASA device has to reflect light on it. My question is "how did the light from the device reach it before 100 years?"
So what happens to Uranus and Jupiter and the other nearby planets?

Do you have to reflect light on them before an image is transmitted to a Telescope?

The Planet is not dark as you claimed,it is reflecting some amount of light from its parent Star..

Whichever light/image it reflects at any moment in time..

Takes 100 light years to get to Earth..

And it is the said 100 light year old image that is being captured by the Telescope..

It is that simple..

The human eyes have lens,just like the Telescopes.

You look up in the sky..

You see heavenly bodies,some as far as 4.5 light years..

You don't need to send any light signal first,to observe such images.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by alphaNomega: 9:35pm On Jan 07, 2020
dukeprince50:
such knowledge would not have been hidden, we are far intelligent than our ancestors, if with our knowledge, we can't visit another planet, then our ancestors could not also

I was day dreaming and thinking out loud.

I'm looking at a scenario were these ancestors are highly advanced beings from another star system that were able to seed multiple planets in the cosmos, Earth being ONE of the successful projects.

One day we will evolve to possess more advanced technologies that transcends the present day limits that keeps us "feeling alone".

Artificial intelligence looks promising in this regard, however there is imminent threat of humans beings being eliminated as AI becomes the superior specie on the planet.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by alphaNomega: 9:42pm On Jan 07, 2020
Freehuman:

Dude, I like how you're thinking so let me try to answer your question.

First of all, the NASA device did not have to reflect any light off that planet in order to detect it. The planet is in a star system (that has a star which is a luminous body) so it is when this planet crosses between its star and us that NASA's equipment can observe it by detecting the changes in brightness of the light reaching its receivers.

Also, by way of some weird astronomical calculations that is beyond my understanding (for now) they are able to estimate how long the light reaching us has travelled from its source, hence the estimated distance of 100 light years.

1 Like

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by LemonBoy1: 9:44pm On Jan 07, 2020
Freehuman:
Fake! Fake! Fake!

Trying to distract us. If a camera needs light to take a picture, it means for that for an 100 light years distance to be captured the camera must wait for at least 100 years to take the image.

Since the reflection of NASA's camera and their photo capturing mechanism is faster than the speed of light they should have used it to calculate the distance. Like "2 NASA camera days" should be the distance. grin grin grin

We should have waited for 100years to get the images in the year 2120.

Too much sense. But do their camera actually take pictures with lights? I think their cameras uses high speed spectrum other than white light that may be faster than white light. Also, one may get a clean line if sight devoid of space dust and debris therefore, no obstacles to collide or reduce the speed of that spectrum.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Offpoint: 9:46pm On Jan 07, 2020
Ken4Christ:

Even if Adam was still alive travelling to that planet, he would have just covered less than 0.2% of the journey.

It will take a space shuttle that travel 5 miles a second about 37,200 years to go one light-year. And the discovered planet is 100 light years away. So it will take 3,720,000 million years to get there. This universe is indeed big. God is awesome. I wonder how far the third heaven is. We have to travel faster than the speed of light to get to heaven in the shortest possible time when rapture takes place.
lol, heaven is not outside Earth heaven is within the Earth. It's just an invisible world within the earth sky.

Read Bible carefully you'll get the clues.

Jesus when he gets to sky he vanished
Elijah was taken into sky
Remember the disciple who was stoned while being stoned, remember what he saw when he look up in the "Sky"?

Heaven's closer than you thought.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2020
LemonBoy1:

Too much sense. But do their camera actually take pictures with lights? I think their cameras uses high speed spectrum other than white light that may be faster than white light. Also, one may get a clean line if sight devoid of space dust and debris therefore, no obstacles to collide or reduce the speed of that spectrum.
His premise is flawed ab initio..

If the Lens in the Telescope needs light to transmit an image of the Planet,it does not have to wait for another 100 years for the light..

The light of the prior 100 years is ALREADY being reflected on the lenses TODAY.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 10:32pm On Jan 07, 2020
DarkJeddi:
If Earth can exist,the the odds of other habitable planets are a Certainty..

Guess if Religious Fanatics are calculating the odds,it becomes an impossibility..

The Earth is one among TRILLIONS UPON TRILLIONS of planets,there's no mathematical calculations that leaves the odds a near impossible..
Really!?
Do the maths and stop whining!
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 10:41pm On Jan 07, 2020
shadeyinka:

Really!?

Do the maths and stop whining!
Really! grin

You should do the math and stop whining..

There's nothing special about the Earth..

If there is life here..

And there are TRILLIONS of other Planets..

Why should the probability of life on another planet be impossible,apart from your religious Mumbo Jumbo..

Stephen Hawkings..

Eminently more qualified than you on such matters,believe so..
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 10:54pm On Jan 07, 2020
Bacteriologist:

A 0.000001% probability could mean millions of you're talking about the universe.
Your figure is way too large and extremely at variance with estimated figures.

What is the simultaneous probability of having another earth in the universe?
With water cycle
With carbon cycle
With Oxygen gas in abundance
With a sea of Water in abundance
With temperature that allows life
With a moon to slow down earth's rotation and stabilize earth's weather
With a magnetic core to generate magnetic fields which protects against UV radiations
With size similar to the earth
With a sun/star similar in size and irradiation power to the sun
With a radius of rotation similar to the earth

If the probability of only one of these occurring is 1/1000, the probability of two simultaneously occuring at 1/1000 each is 1/(1000x1000)=0.0000001
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 10:56pm On Jan 07, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Really! grin

You should do the math and stop whining..

There's nothing special about the Earth..

If there is life here..

And there are TRILLIONS of other Planets..

Why should the probability of life on another planet be impossible,apart from your religious Mumbo Jumbo..

Stephen Hawkings..

Eminently more qualified than you on such matters,believe so..
Stephen Hawking: Your prophet has spoken.

shadeyinka:

With water cycle
With carbon cycle
With a magnetic core to generate magnetic fields which protects against UV radiations

If the probability of only one of these occurring is 1/1000, the probability of two simultaneously occuring at 1/1000 each is 1/(1000x1000)=0.0000001

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 11:02pm On Jan 07, 2020
shadeyinka:

Stephen Hawking: Your prophet has spoken.

When you reach 1/Millionth of his Preeminence on Cosmology,you can talk..

Even at your so called infinitesimal probability calculations..

The sheer number of Planets in the Universe renders it a Certainty..

And who says a life form has to have the exact attributes of living things on earth to thrive in another world?
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Bacteriologist(m): 11:11pm On Jan 07, 2020
shadeyinka:

With water cycle
With carbon cycle

Probability of life ≠ Probability of having another earth.

Life on other planets do not necessarily need to have the same properties as earth. Life could be silicon based for example as silicon is structurally similar to carbon.

So that alone increases the scope of how life can form and consequently the probability.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by jaxxy(m): 11:12pm On Jan 07, 2020
Bacteriologist:
So how about we fix the one we're on before moving to another planet?

But at least this will humble the silly notion some theists project that a god somewhere behind the sky created everything that exists because of humans and made us in charge. Millions other habitable planets exist and anything could be on them. Which could well include organisms far superior to our intellect and evolutionary/ecological advancement.

The universe does not give a shit about us. We only exist on this marble as an insignificant life form on an insignificant portion of a very very very big collection of marbles.

But somehow religion creates this nonexistent important image of humans. And that's why the world is in chaos.

U can only create and formulate stories and theories to contracdict religion/faith bt u still can’t explain how everything came to be can u?

Just Big Bang theory. Lol
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 11:14pm On Jan 07, 2020
Bacteriologist:

Probability of life ≠ Probability of having another earth.

Life on other planets do not necessarily need to have the same properties as earth. Life could be silicon based for example as silicon is structurally similar to carbon.

So that alone increases the scope of how life can form and consequently the probability.
That is still a mere speculation until it can be scientifically shown that non carbon based molecules can form life.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 11:23pm On Jan 07, 2020
DarkJeddi:
When you reach 1/Millionth of his Preeminence on Cosmology,you can talk..

Even at your so called infinitesimal probability calculations..

The sheer number of Planets in the Universe renders it a Certainty..

And who says a life form has to have the exact attributes of living things on earth to thrive in another world?
It's is not about the sheer number of planets but the simultaneous occurrence of so many factors. Our sun is of the right size, right age, right irradiance but if the earth was the size of Jupiter or Pluto, life wouldn't have occured even though every other thing was okay.

The odds is impossibly unfeasible!

@bold is just a mere speculation unless it can be scientifically proven.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by misterawo: 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2020
100 light years is relatively nearby? grin I laugh in Ijebu. One light year is 365 days, meaning the distance light can travel in one year. 100 light years is the distance light travels in 36500 days. To put it in perspective, Light can travel round the world 7x in one second. Our fastest modern rocket technology can travel round the world in 3 hours.

In this context, it will take humans about 3 million years to travel to the so-called relatively nearby planet. What a joke.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 11:28pm On Jan 07, 2020
shadeyinka:

It's is not about the sheer number of planets but the simultaneous occurrence of so many factors. Our sun is of the right size, right age, right irradiance but if the earth was the size of Jupiter or Pluto, life wouldn't have occured even though every other thing was okay.

And yet these IMPOSSIBLY UNFEASIBLE set of events where able to come together and give birth to Earth.. shocked

And somehow,it was IMPOSSIBLY UNFEASIBLE that it could happen? grin

The irony! undecided
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by misterawo: 11:31pm On Jan 07, 2020
shadeyinka:

Your comment reeks ignorance.

1 Like

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by misterawo: 11:39pm On Jan 07, 2020
shadeyinka:

With water cycle
With carbon cycle

The universe is infinite. If the last comment is true, then there must be Shadeyinka existing somewhere in the universe, typing comment on a clone website owned by Seun in a country called Nigeria.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 11:42pm On Jan 07, 2020
misterawo:

The universe is infinite. If the last comment is true, then there must be Shadeyinka existing somewhere in the universe, typing comment on a clone website owned by Seun in a country called Nigeria.
I agree perfectly with you.
That's the kind of odds we're talking about
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2020
misterawo:

Your comment reeks ignorance.
Ok!
Because the Universe is freaking big, therefore another shadeyinka must exist somewhere typing on a forum that belong to one seun osewa!

See who reeks of ignorance!
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 11:56pm On Jan 07, 2020
DarkJeddi:
And yet these IMPOSSIBLY UNFEASIBLE set of events where able to come together and give birth to Earth.. shocked

And somehow,it was IMPOSSIBLY UNFEASIBLE that it could happen? grin

The irony! undecided
Do you also know that sequence and timing played a big part in formation of life on the earth. Put everything oxygen, CO2, N2, temperature, water, etc together on a planet exactly like the earth in its own solar system. It doesn't guarantee the formation of life on the earth.

Scientifically, the earth is an impossible accident. Statistically, the formation of the earth is like the probability of a storm passing through a junkyard and the scraps came together to form a Boeing 747. Let's say (by means of a stroke of luck) it managed to happen once, what's the probability that it can happen twice?

1 Like

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by redsun(m): 1:02am On Jan 08, 2020
If only we can just understand a little about the forest and bushes around us as humans, we won't have needlessly hungry children in our land anymore or nepa blackout.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Ken4Christ: 1:21am On Jan 08, 2020
Offpoint:

lol, heaven is not outside Earth heaven is within the Earth. It's just an invisible world within the earth sky.

Read Bible carefully you'll get the clues.

Jesus when he gets to sky he vanished
Elijah was taken into sky
Remember the disciple who was stoned while being stoned, remember what he saw when he look up in the "Sky"?

Heaven's closer than you thought.

I don't agree. Heaven where God resides is called the third heaven. The first heaven is the sky or atmosphere that surrounds us. We can see it with our optical eyes. The second heaven is the outer space that is vast which we are still exploring. The third heaven is beyond the outer space and it is therefore farther.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by showafrica(m): 2:28am On Jan 08, 2020
Bacteriologist:
So how about we fix the one we're on before moving to another planet?

But at least this will humble the silly notion some theists project that a god somewhere behind the sky created everything that exists because of humans and made us in charge. Millions other habitable planets exist and anything could be on them. Which could well include organisms far superior to our intellect and evolutionary/ecological advancement.

The universe does not give a shit about us. We only exist on this marble as an insignificant life form on an insignificant portion of a very very very big collection of marbles.

But somehow religion creates this nonexistent important image of humans. And that's why the world is in chaos.

The brain is our problem, if only we were idiots we would not have had issues. If the holy books had written what you wrote up there, you will still think other wise. Just live as if you dont know anything, too much wisdom na wahala. God created man and the universe, the problem is we trying to imagine God. For your comfort, you may imagine God as anything and anything is everything. For human comprehension, the holy books want us to imagine it as a man. In another universe, it could be imagined as sth similar to them. What I dont want to believe is that all these happened by accident. If I believe the big bang theory, why wont i believe the holy books perhaps, I dont have anything to lose. Since we are the king of the earth, I think we need to put all our energy on how to defeat our challenges and rule the earth and the sister planets. God will not stop any human adventure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Video: Ekiti Boy Constructing A Generator And A Pos Machine / 100 Tonnes Of Dead Fish Pulled Out Of Europe's Oder River ( Pics, Video) / How Many Of You Still Remember This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.