Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby (40224 Views)

Titanic: Full-Sized Scans Shows What Happened The Night The Ship Sank (Pictures) / Scientists Discover Pencil-Sized Species Of Snake, Hiding In Plain Sight (Pics) / Astronomers Discover Non-Habitable Earth-Sized 'Pi Planet' With A 3.14-Day Orbit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Ahasco(m): 4:57am On Jan 08, 2020
Bacteriologist:
So how about we fix the one we're on before moving to another planet?

But at least this will humble the silly notion some theists project that a god somewhere behind the sky created everything that exists because of humans and made us in charge. Millions other habitable planets exist and anything could be on them. Which could well include organisms far superior to our intellect and evolutionary/ecological advancement.

The universe does not give a shit about us. We only exist on this marble as an insignificant life form on an insignificant portion of a very very very big collection of marbles.

But somehow religion creates this nonexistent important image of humans. And that's why the world is in chaos.
Religion has always been for the gullible. From time immemorial their books have been filled with flaws that not even them can comprehend but defend it with all stupidity.

1 Like

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Midas01: 6:16am On Jan 08, 2020
so how does the nonsense you wrote invalidate religion or invalidate the fact there's a God?

How does the belief that we are important and higher beings than animals cause caos in the world.b

Abeg, try get sense for this new year. E too early.

Bacteriologist:
So how about we fix the one we're on before moving to another planet?

But at least this will humble the silly notion some theists project that a god somewhere behind the sky created everything that exists because of humans and made us in charge. Millions other habitable planets exist and anything could be on them. Which could well include organisms far superior to our intellect and evolutionary/ecological advancement.

The universe does not give a shit about us. We only exist on this marble as an insignificant life form on an insignificant portion of a very very very big collection of marbles.

But somehow religion creates this nonexistent important image of humans. And that's why the world is in chaos.

1 Like

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Midas01: 6:19am On Jan 08, 2020
Better than the men who'll go there with guns and start killing each other there, mumu.
profilemessages:
please. don't allow Nigerian women to visit that planet oooo, they will start posting nude, and start asking for money for sex
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Midas01: 6:21am On Jan 08, 2020
The way some of you just say rubbish with so much authority baffles me.
itsme01:
cool

NASA trying to justify their overhyped billion dollars anual budget on meaningless things

Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by itsme01: 6:34am On Jan 08, 2020
Midas01:
The way some of you just say rubbish with so much authority baffles me.

dont be decieved NASA and US Defense gulp the most unfeasible scam loaded budget in US , so much so that Obama had to cut funding of NASA

Teala's space x would deliver more payload to space and is reuseable with atleast 1/10 of what NASA would use on same mission, common Indian had mission to Mars with a tiny fraction of what US NASA would spend, a single US astronaut Space suite cost millions in dollars, while russian cosmonauts spent a tiny fraction for same

google about the budget US spent on Iraq and how every day things where over inflated
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 6:42am On Jan 08, 2020
shadeyinka:

Do you also know that sequence and timing played a big part in formation of life on the earth. Put everything oxygen, CO2, N2, temperature, water, etc together on a planet exactly like the earth in its own solar system. It doesn't guarantee the formation of life on the earth.

Scientifically, the earth is an impossible accident. Statistically, the formation of the earth is like the probability of a storm passing through a junkyard and the scraps came together to form a Boeing 747. Let's say (by means of a sole of luck) it managed to happen once, what's the probability that it can happen twice?
Guy,the Earth is a clear evidence that it is not impossible to have life on another planet...

If it is indeed impossible,then it wouldn't have happened ONCE..

Like you said,the chances are extremely unfeasible and yet it happened...

If it can happen Once..

Then it is no longer impossible and can happen multiple times over,especially given the sheer staggering number of Planets in the Universe..

The only limiting factor to that Certainty is science..

Enough said!
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by itsme01: 7:26am On Jan 08, 2020
Onakankafo:
[s][/s]
a Leeds City University student talking what he knows nothing about cheesy

go take your morning dose of drugs boy.. while your ban awaits
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by itsme01: 7:32am On Jan 08, 2020
Onakankafo:
[s][/s]
e pain am well well

grin yes o e pain me for your life
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by forinclay: 7:36am On Jan 08, 2020
See people wey small Iran the threaten. Na for US to relocate their ass back to the stone age. God bless Nigeria and God bless America
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 8:12am On Jan 08, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Guy,the Earth is a clear evidence that it is not impossible to have life in another planet...

If it is indeed impossible,then it wouldn't have happened ONCE..

Like you said,the chances are extremely unfeasible and yet it happened...

If it can happen Once..

Then it is no longer impossible and can happen multiple times over,especially given the sheer staggering number of Planets in the Universe..

The only limiting factor to that Certainty is science..

Enough said!
Ok.
If you believe that other planets with life exists in the universe. Must they be carbon based
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 8:45am On Jan 08, 2020
shadeyinka:

Ok.
If you believe that other planets with life exists in the universe. Must they be carbon based
Maybe they are,maybe they are not..

Only time will tell..

One thing am certain about..

Humans are not the only living thing in the vast expanse of the Universe..

It is IMPOSSIBLE.. grin
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Suremikky(m): 9:01am On Jan 08, 2020
Or loss big Abi
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by saintaustine(m): 10:05am On Jan 08, 2020
I just have to leave this Earth.
It is very important.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 10:29am On Jan 08, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Maybe they are,maybe they are not..

Only time will tell..

One thing am certain about..

Humans are not the only living thing in the vast expanse of the Universe..

It is IMPOSSIBLE.. grin
Of course humans are not the only intelligent being living in the universe.
We also have
God
Angels
Demons
And other beings

The only difference, they aren't made of carbon molecules!
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 10:45am On Jan 08, 2020
shadeyinka:

Of course humans are not the only intelligent being living in the universe.
We also have
God
Angels
Demons
And other beings

The only difference, they aren't made of carbon molecules!

So?

All these rig ma roll since yesterday is you implying an intelligent being brought living things into existence..

cheesy

So?

How are you to know how many other worlds they decided to make the impossible,possible.. shocked

Of course there might be other entities..

I certainly believe it is most likely..

Whether they are the ones that created life is another issue..
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 11:28am On Jan 08, 2020
DarkJeddi:

So?

All these rig ma roll since yesterday is you implying an intelligent being brought living things into existence..

cheesy

So?

How are you to know how many other worlds they decided to make the impossible,possible.. shocked

Of course there might be other entities..

I certainly believe it is most likely..

Whether they are the ones that created life is another issue..
My argument was against the probability of the existence of carbon based life. The statistical odds is impossible!
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Bacteriologist(m): 11:37am On Jan 08, 2020
Midas01:
so how does the nonsense you wrote invalidate religion or invalidate the fact there's a God?

How does the belief that we are important and higher beings than animals cause caos in the world.b

Abeg, try get sense for this new year. E too early.

Thinking that the earth was "made" for humans creates a (albeit fake) sense of superiority and unchalantness. This is evident regarding how we are wasting the planet. Mining uncontrollably, producing non-biodegradable plastic indiscriminately, abusing animals because we assume we are "superior" to them and manufacturing incredibly dangerous nuclear warheads.

On the other hand, if we can all get off our high horses and get ourselves to understand that we are privileged to live on this marble, we will take more steps to care for it and ultimately care for ourselves as well. Understanding that the earth was not created solely for our pleasure or "dominion" raises that self-assessment and self-awareness of our actions. Which drives us to do better.

That is why we have increasing movements and goals for climate change, conservation of wildlife and natural resources, switching to renewable forms of energy and more efficient forms of utilising the planet's resources.

But I'll be shitting myself if I expected a religious nonce like you who is eagerly waiting for the end of the world to even remotely grasp the concept of preservation and sustainability.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Bacteriologist(m): 11:38am On Jan 08, 2020
Ahasco:

Religion has always been for the gullible. From time immemorial their books have been filled with flaws that not even them can comprehend but defend it with all stupidity.

Correct. I am of the opinion that religion should be classified as a common cause of mental illness. Because more often than not, you need to leave the bubble before you can see the rot in it.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Bacteriologist(m): 11:40am On Jan 08, 2020
showafrica:

The brain is our problem, if only we were idiots we would not have had issues. If the holy books had written what you wrote up there, you will still think other wise. Just live as if you dont know anything, too much wisdom na wahala. God created man and the universe, the problem is we trying to imagine God. For your comfort, you may imagine God as anything and anything is everything. For human comprehension, the holy books want us to imagine it as a man. In another universe, it could be imagined as sth similar to them. What I dont want to believe is that all these happened by accident. If I believe the big bang theory, why wont i believe the holy books perhaps, I dont have anything to lose. Since we are the king of the earth, I think we need to put all our energy on how to defeat our challenges and rule the earth and the sister planets. God will not stop any human adventure.

We have issues because we are idiots. An intelligent species would not be so invasive, destroying everything in their so-called home. And inventing nonexistent gods as a means of explaining otherwise natural and completely normal phenomena.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by showafrica(m): 11:50am On Jan 08, 2020
Bacteriologist:

We have issues because we are idiots. An intelligent species would not be so invasive, destroying everything in their so-called home. And inventing nonexistent gods as a means of explaining otherwise natural and completely normal phenomena.

Well, depends on the dimensions, would you rather say wild animals are more intelligent bc, they dont destroy there home? Only if humans were also wild animals, the earth would still be in Eco mode by now and nothing will matter to us outside the planet. Our God will only be the mother earth that provides food and water, i can imagine how simple life would have been.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Bacteriologist(m): 11:59am On Jan 08, 2020
showafrica:

Well, depends on the dimensions, would you rather say wild animals are more intelligent bc, they dont destroy there home? Only if humans were also wild animals, the earth would still be in Eco mode by now and nothing will matter to us outside the planet. Our God will only be the mother earth that provides food and water, i can imagine how simple life would have been.

Intelligence is relative. Wild animals do not destroy their habitats. They always ensure there is balance. Humans will continue to procreate until the resource is barely enough. Then they resort to war and serious destruction of themselves AND OTHER LIFE FORMS. In this aspect, wild animals are more intelligent. We look like we could learn a thing or two from them.

The planet would definitely be more beautiful, safer and more peaceful if humans didn't evolve at all.

Literally speaking, nature does not provide anything for anyone. It doesn't care.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by showafrica(m): 12:30pm On Jan 08, 2020
Bacteriologist:

Intelligence is relative. Wild animals do not destroy their habitats. They always ensure there is balance. Humans will continue to procreate until the resource is barely enough. Then they resort to war and serious destruction of themselves AND OTHER LIFE FORMS. In this aspect, wild animals are more intelligent. We look like we could learn a thing or two from them.

The planet would definitely be more beautiful, safer and more peaceful if humans didn't evolve at all.

Literally speaking, nature does not provide anything for anyone. It doesn't care.

Like I said, it depends on the dimensions.. I would not like to be an animal that only eat, sleep and does not ask why...

Last sentence, hell No, nature did all its best to keep us alive. The only planet that shielded solar rays with its magnetic field just for the sake of life, thats much to me. If it did all that for its self, then thats her problem.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by DarkJeddi(m): 1:39pm On Jan 08, 2020
shadeyinka:

My argument was against the probability of the existence of carbon based life. The statistical odds is impossible!
And we have already established that the Earth is a clear evidence that it is not an impossibility..

If it can happen once,then nothing is impossible..

Really,

That humans have so far not discovered any extraterrestrial life is more likely in the realm of present day Scientific limitations,than an evidence of lack of life..

Common..

We don't even have an an idea of how vast exactly the Universe is..

So how are we supposed to know what's out there or not?
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by shadeyinka(m): 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2020
DarkJeddi:
And we have already established that the Earth is a clear evidence that it is not an impossibility..

If it can happen once,then nothing is impossible..

Really,

That humans have so far not discovered any extraterrestrial life is more likely in the realm of present day Scientific limitations,than an evidence of lack of life..

Common..

We don't even have an an idea of how vast exactly the Universe is..

So how are we supposed to know what's out there or not?
Yes, we don't know the limit of the universe. But based on what we know, and our understanding of probability and statistics, the odds is almost impossible! The probability doesn't give us the latitude of any form of certainty.

For now, what we can hope for is the existence of a planet that can support life (not one that could have life). These are two distinctively different things.

An Fission bomb has been successfully made. What is the probability that nature can replicate it anywhere in the universe?
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by rexandyke(m): 2:25pm On Jan 08, 2020
Offpoint:

lol, you think getting the equipment is my problem?

Have you ever wondered why till date even though there has been so much advancements in technology no human has been sent out to the moon after the Apollo Mission?

those ones are because they are yet to get the materials that could withstand the conditions. This one is to a planet na. And they seem to have the environmental conditions there
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Awesomefoodie: 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2020
It's not even possible for us to go live in this new found Earth. 100light years it's no joke. Humans can only live there only if God decides to start another world there from scratch, like how he started this present Earth with Adam and Eve.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Offpoint: 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
rexandyke:

those ones are because they are yet to get the materials that could withstand the conditions. This one is to a planet na. And they seem to have the environmental conditions there
Do you know the effects of traveling through space?

even as close as the space station is to the earth, read about it effects.
Re: TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby by Ahasco(m): 9:30pm On Jan 10, 2020
Bacteriologist:

Correct. I am of the opinion that religion should be classified as a common cause of mental illness. Because more often than not, you need to leave the bubble before you can see the rot in it.

I agree totally with you. It is a common cause of mental illness that has deprived many of their true potential. So sad �

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Video: Ekiti Boy Constructing A Generator And A Pos Machine / 100 Tonnes Of Dead Fish Pulled Out Of Europe's Oder River ( Pics, Video) / How Many Of You Still Remember This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.