Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,183 members, 7,867,428 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 03:54 PM

2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket (1010 Views)

Pdp’s ‘secret Game’ Of Sheriff-fayose 2019 Joint Ticket Leaves APC Jittery. / ACN/CPC Merger To Oust GEJ Has Paid Off Once Again. Congrats To Tinubu & Yorubas / Chris Ngige May Be Next Minister Of Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by Abagworo(m): 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2010
2011: Buhari, Ngige may run on ACN/CPC joint ticket

By Okey Maduforo Correspondent, Awka

There are very strong indications that former Anambra State Governor and chieftain of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Chris Ngige, may emerge as the presidential running mate to Gen. Mohammadu Buhari of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC).

This is coming on the heels of sustained coalition talks by opposition parties led by the trio of All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP), ACN and CPC.

According to a source, there are fears that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) may not give former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, Presidential ticket and it is alleged that some northern elements may pull out of the party and endorse Buhari as a consensus candidate for the North.

Against this backdrop, the region has been waiting in the wings for the sealing of the coalition moves of the opposition parties for Buhari to emerge.

Confirming the meeting, National Vice Chairman of ANPP for the South East, George Muoghalu, who however, did not disclose the political parties involved, said the issue is not about having political accord but some form of coalition.

He was silent on issue of presidential consensus candidate, noting that the ANPP is still holding its own and it depends on the outcome of the coalition meetings.

Meanwhile, former Lagos State Governor and the affirmed leader of ACN in the South West, Bola Tinubu, had earlier endorsed Buhari, noting that he has the pedigree to run the affairs of the country as a president.

But the issue of running mate, which literally pitched Ngige and Tinubu, as a possible option, is said to be a matter yet to be resolved following arguments within political circles.

Proponents of the Buhari-Tinubu ticket had argued that two Muslims as candidate and running mate was applied by then Social Democratic Party (SDP), which produced the late MKO Abiola and Babagana Kingibe.

But opponents contend that Tinubu may have to angle for the seat of Senate President, while Ngige, a Christian, would pair up with Buhari as running mate.

They further contend that since the likes of former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, and Prof. Chukwuma Soludo are tipped as possible running mates in the event of Atiku’s emergence, it would be politically suicidal for the South West to produce Buhari’s running mate.

It was reportedly canvassed within the coalition that, the most popular person in the South East for the vice president post is Ngige, who they claim, is capable of breaking the ranks of President Goodluck Jonathan’s support in the South East and South South zones.

When Saturday Independent spoke with Ngige, he declined to confirm the development but noted that he is aware of the speculations.

“I have heard all these things, some said I want to contest for Senate and later they talked about vice president. All those things are good. They are good positions for the service of our people and that also shows how the masses, the electorate see us. If they think that I am not good enough for that they will not be mentioning Dr. Chris Ngige and if it is the wishes of our people that I should serve them in that capacity, who am I to say no?” Ngige said.

He, however, explained that it does not mean that his petition at the election tribunal has been abandoned, explaining that a new election tribunal is expected between December and January and that should he emerge vice president and wins his matter at the tribunal another candidate would come up to fly the flag of ACN in a re-run or run-off election.

Earlier, the national secretariat of the ACN, on Wednesday, acknowledged that there were ongoing merger talks with the CPC and ANPP, among other political parties, with a view to forming a formidable political front to get the ruling PDP out of power in 2011.

National Chairman of the party, Bisi Akande confirmed the ongoing merger talks to journalists in Lagos after an emergency meeting, which the leadership of the party held in view of its December 16 Convention.

The meeting held at the party’s national secretariat along Acme Road, Lagos was attended by Tinubu, the incumbent Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), Ngige, former Sokoto Governor Attahiru Bafarawa, former Oyo State Governor, Lam Adeshina, former Ogun State Governor, Olusegun Osoba, and National Publicity Secretary of the party, Lai Mohammed amongst others.

After the meeting, Akande acknowledged the ongoing merger talks between the party and Buhari’s CPC and ANPP.

Akande said: “It is true that General Buhari wants ACN to merge with CPC. After the meeting we had, we set up a committee comprising members from the two parties. The committee has advised that both political parties can operate on the same platform. But we have not reviewed the recommendation made by the committee since then. We have not taken any decision on whether to merge with any political party or not”.
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by Abagworo(m): 11:20pm On Dec 03, 2010
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by jason12345: 11:31pm On Dec 03, 2010
i could have sworn tinubu was thinking about playing this card and i think he would.
if he does, then the presidency is on a gold plate for him but why chris ngige? why not soludo or donald duke? we need young politicians there not people that have been "there" ever since.

anyway, i think ACN would only have one shot at the presidency. once they do not succeed in making nigeria better for nigerians then thats it. but a north and se ticket would split atiku and GJ's vote immensely coupled  with the block vote of the sw with edo and kogi. they would surely win without rigging.
GJ or atiku would only win if they rig it.

i sincerely hope this would be the bases for the unity of the south (mainly igbo and yoruba) since the yorubas have decided to give up the VP post to an igbo man. i hope the animosity ends between two of them. wink
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by DapoBear(m): 12:59am On Dec 04, 2010
Interesting.
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 04, 2010
If ACN joins with CPC and produces Buhari as their candidate, they will simply be serving the Presidency on a platter of gold to the PDP.

If Buhari likes let him pick Jesus Christ's incarnate he will not be getting a lot of votes in the South.

People are politically concious in the South and know better. We are clearly in stagnation with Yar'adua and now Jonathan. But to elect Buhari will simply mean putting the country in reverse direction.

Buhari is unelectable, even if you conduct the elections in heaven.
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by Onlytruth(m): 1:36am On Dec 04, 2010
I'm laughing again.

All these permutations are interesting. Onwa (Ngige) no be small fish o! De guy dey popular pass any other person for iboland.

I would be very worried if I were PDP if Onwa join with Buhari.  cool
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by revomind(m): 2:11am On Dec 04, 2010
Interesting combo. May just get my vote. Mikeansy, the political consciousness of the south won't do Jonathan any good.
Re: 2011: Buhari, Ngige May Run On Acn/cpc Joint Ticket by aljharem(m): 2:38am On Dec 04, 2010
cheesy cheesy cheesy

now acn is thinking

this combo will not only get must northerners and some SE vote but also the whole of SW

i think tinubu is put his selfish interest aside and putting an igbo insisted of a yoruba again

if this true and GEJ loses primaries , then this is the winning combo

(1) (Reply)

2008: Lautech Students Rap/ed, Beg Management To Save Them From Rapists / Henry Okah Threatened, Abused Jonathan, Ministers From Jail / Ex-governor To Acn Candidates: Tackle Fiscal Federalism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.