Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,195 members, 7,811,514 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) (21921 Views)

Nigerian Stocks Fall On Tinubu’s Emergence As President-elect / Nigeria’s Stocks Among World’s Best-performers In 4 Months – Bloomberg / Nigeria Stock Market Among The Top 5 Global Performers In 2017: CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 6:03am On Jan 10, 2020
alizma:
Children of hate will say Buhari has paid him 30k

Fortunately, Buhari has NOTHING to do with the NSE which is a PRIVATE entity...
If Bubu did, he would have probably fired the CEO and replaced him with a cattle rearer.
grin
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 6:06am On Jan 10, 2020
Mftivi:
it doesn't benefit average Nigerian in any way. FG Bonds rate is unattractive now so it's just common sense that investors would shift towards equities, it adds nothing to the common man.
FDI (foreign direct Investment) have been nose diving since this administration took over and FDI can affect the average Nigerian but in this case negatively.

It does...
If an "average" worker's retirement (or other mutual) fund is invested in equities.

Further, the value of a company's stock affects its valuation (and balance sheet, if it holds treasury shares)...
Which means appreciation may enable it to borrow to invest/expand, and create jobs for the "average" Nigerian!
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by alizma: 6:24am On Jan 10, 2020
9jaRealist:

Fortunately, Buhari has NOTHING to do with the NSE which is a PRIVATE entity...
If Bubu did, he would have probably fired the CEO and replaced him with a cattle rearer.
grin
>
But Buhari has something to do with Dangote's wealth ranking among the world richest people? You guys have something crawling in your heads
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 6:47am On Jan 10, 2020
alizma:
But Buhari has something to do with Dangote's wealth ranking among the world richest people? You guys have something crawling in your heads

Diversionary Strawman’s Argument, but nonetheless since you raised it...

Buhari’s cluelessness DIRECTLY prolonged the recession that DIRECTLY led to the Naira’s massive devaluation...
Which devaluation DIRECTLY eroded Dangote’s net worth. It’s not rocket science or should I translate it to Cattle Rearer’s lingo?
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by NaMeAboki: 8:41am On Jan 10, 2020
Bombshell!
Buhari haters I dey feel una pain.

Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by alizma: 9:13am On Jan 10, 2020
9jaRealist:

Diversionary Strawman’s Argument, but nonetheless since you raised it...

Buhari’s cluelessness DIRECTLY prolonged the recession that DIRECTLY led to the Naira’s massive devaluation...
Which devaluation DIRECTLY eroded Dangote’s net worth. It’s not rocket science or should I translate it to Cattle Rearer’s lingo?
>
And suddenly you think government policy have no impact on stock market activities or do we now have another president under which the stock market is doing well? You guys are so crude when it comes to economic issues. Unfortunately you just say something without thinking of how much it expose your ignorance. Anyway, it is said that one can't give what he doesn't have, you don't know the link between them hence your statement, perhaps you know but your hatred for Buhari has blind fold you so much that a business man in a country and the country's stock market can't be talking about their success or failure without acknowledging the role that government policy played. Therefore if Dangote's downward ranking is solely attributed to Buhari's policies, the same should apply to the success recorded by the stock market because non of them can be discussed in isolation of government economic and political policies.
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 10, 2020
Blindersoff:

Your usage of MOST RICHEST rather than just RICHEST has discouraged me from doing so because it is clear you would not even understand Google if you used it

Nigeria stock market is less than $100b

While JSE has market cap of $1trln
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 4:32pm On Jan 10, 2020
alizma:
And suddenly you think government policy have no impact on stock market activities or do we now have another president under which the stock market is doing well? You guys are so crude when it comes to economic issues. Unfortunately you just say something without thinking of how much it expose your ignorance. Anyway, it is said that one can't give what he doesn't have, you don't know the link between them hence your statement, perhaps you know but your hatred for Buhari has blind fold you so much that a business man in a country and the country's stock market can't be talking about their success or failure without acknowledging the role that government policy played. Therefore if Dangote's downward ranking is solely attributed to Buhari's policies, the same should apply to the success recorded by the stock market because non of them can be discussed in isolation of government economic and political policies.

Even though my initial comment was specifically limited...
If you seek an expansive discourse, would be glad to ENLIGHTEN you.

Of course, government policy may have SOME impact on stock market activities but that neither equates to stock market activities being determined by governmental action or policy (as you apparently misapprehend and thus infer on these pages) nor is governmental policy the only or even the most determinative factor in stock market activities.

There are myriad other factors OUTSIDE OF NIGERIA and the purview (or control) of the Nigerian government that impacts DIRECTLY on the Nigerian stock market activities. For instance, if the US Federal Reserve decides to raise interest rates, a lot of the foreign portfolio investment in Nigeria (so-called “hot money”) that control the MAJORITY of Nigerian stock holdings will quickly exit the Nigerian bourse to US instruments. Similarly, any movement in global oil prices and market, which is outside the purview and control of the Buhari government (such as the that caused by the most recent US-Iran flare-up) DIRECTLY affects oil and gas stocks in the a Nigerian market, as well as more generally the perception of the health of the Nigerian economy and Nigerian stocks, given the importance of oil to Nigeria’s economic health.

The NSE ended the year 2019 as the SECOND-WORST performing stock market (out of all tracked markets) GLOBALLY. What exactly has Buhari done in the 10 days of 2020 that you believe has single-handedly changed the trajectory of the market?
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by Mftivi: 1:33pm On Jan 12, 2020
9jaRealist:

It does...
If an "average" worker's retirement (or other mutual) fund is invested in equities.

Further, the value of a company's stock affects its valuation (and balance sheet, if it holds treasury shares)...
Which means appreciation may enable it to borrow to invest/expand, and create jobs for the "average" Nigerian!
>
you think so because you think the stock market goes up forever, This is just a temporary bullish rally because of News.
No average Nigerian has funds invested in a retirement mutual equities fund.
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 4:33am On Jan 13, 2020
Mftivi:
you think so because you think the stock market goes up forever, This is just a temporary bullish rally because of News.
No average Nigerian has funds invested in a retirement mutual equities fund.

Quit making childish Strawman's Arguments...
The point was how the market appreciation benefits the "average" Nigerian, not that the market appreciates "forever" (a dumb notion).

Meanwhile, "average" Nigerians under the contributory pension scheme have part of their retirement funds invested in equities by the PFAs.

If you don't know, please ask...
There's no shame in learning stuff. Learning should be life-long.
>

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by Mftivi: 10:53am On Jan 15, 2020
9jaRealist:

Quit making childish Strawman's Arguments...
The point was how the market appreciation benefits the "average" Nigerian, not that the market appreciates "forever" (a dumb notion).

Meanwhile, "average" Nigerians under the contributory pension scheme have part of their retirement funds invested in equities by the PFAs.

If you don't know, please ask...
There's no shame in learning stuff. Learning should be life-long.
>
define average Nigerian? You a joke bro! If the market appreciation is very short term then the growth you spoke about cant be sustained. It takes time for real growth in the equity market to reflect in the economy! Such growths are sustained by good economic policies not some random news push that has no sustaining power. You should learn, I am an active trader and have seen a lot short term boost and longterm move to be able to spot the difference. You conveniently ignored the part I mentioned that this is no longterm growth driver and that already nullifies your point about the growth that you speak of, Rome was not built in a day.
Given the low yield bond rates investors would invest longterm in our equity market if they have faith in our economy, I can tell you with much confidence that most would rather invest in an SP500 ETF
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 2:12am On Jan 17, 2020
Mftivi:
define average Nigerian? You a joke bro! If the market appreciation is very short term then the growth you spoke about cant be sustained. It takes time for real growth in the equity market to reflect in the economy! Such growths are sustained by good economic policies not some random news push that has no sustaining power. You should learn, I am an active trader and have seen a lot short term boost and longterm move to be able to spot the difference. You conveniently ignored the part I mentioned that this is no longterm growth driver and that already nullifies your point about the growth that you speak of, Rome was not built in a day.
Given the low yield bond rates investors would invest longterm in our equity market if they have faith in our economy, I can tell you with much confidence that most would rather invest in an SP500 ETF

Yet more irrelevant Strawman's Argument...smh undecided

Who said anything about "sustained" (just like no-one said anything about "forever" ). You claim to be a so-called "active trader" and yet you seem to think that people should only invest in markets that appreciate "forever" and apparently baffled that markets are invariably cyclical.

It is that very nature of markets as cyclical that accords comfort to long-term investors such as PFAs who are looking past short-term volatilities to profit over the long-term, and any "average" Nigerian subject to the contributory pension scheme is in the market through the PFAs.

Yet again, if you don't know be humble enough to learn...
Otherwise, the only way you are going to make a small fortune from your so-called "active trading" is to start with a huge one! SMDH@
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by Mftivi: 12:04pm On Jan 17, 2020
9jaRealist:

Yet more irrelevant Strawman's Argument...smh undecided

Who said anything about "sustained" (just like no-one said anything about "forever" ). You claim to be a so-called "active trader" and yet you seem to think that people should only invest in markets that appreciate "forever" and apparently baffled that markets are invariably cyclical.

It is that very nature of markets as cyclical that accords comfort to long-term investors such as PFAs who are looking past short-term volatilities to profit over the long-term, and any "average" Nigerian subject to the contributory pension scheme is in the market through the PFAs.

Yet again, if you don't know be humble enough to learn...
Otherwise, the only way you are going to make a small fortune from your so-called "active trading" is to start with a huge one! SMDH@
>
I can already tell you have no real trading experience or investment experience, probably a finance guy with an opinion and an ego just like the bunch of jokes out there at Wall Street who are never right on any forecast.
How did I imply that markets goes up forever? I am a master at playing value equities at
huge discount and I say again that I can differentiate long-term drivers from short term. If the market is for example already overvalued there is nothing this policy can do about it, it will still tank! You are joke if you make long-term forecasts based on policies that don't have long-term impact.
I will tell you what this policy will do, it will cause a wealth transfer but it will not be from rich Nigerians to average Nigerians. Real estate tops the list. My definition of an average Nigerian is the Nigerian living below the poverty line and still fighting with government for their pensions to be paid. Some dude with pension invested in a pension fund is not an average Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 4:57am On Jan 20, 2020
Mftivi:
I can already tell you have no real trading experience or investment experience, probably a finance guy with an opinion and an ego just like the bunch of jokes out there at Wall Street who are never right on any forecast.
How did I imply that markets goes up forever? I am a master at playing value equities at
huge discount and I say again that I can differentiate long-term drivers from short term. If the market is for example already overvalued there is nothing this policy can do about it, it will still tank! You are joke if you make long-term forecasts based on policies that don't have long-term impact.
I will tell you what this policy will do, it will cause a wealth transfer but it will not be from rich Nigerians to average Nigerians. Real estate tops the list. My definition of an average Nigerian is the Nigerian living below the poverty line and still fighting with government for their pensions to be paid. Some dude with pension invested in a pension fund is not an average Nigerian.

Dude, do you ever get tired of the irrelevant Strawman's Aguments? undecided

This is a rather SIMPLE, BASIC, ELEMENTARY and limited issue...
You ask how market appreciation benefits the "average" Nigerian, and you were EDUCATED how.

All this other rigmarole is IRRELEVANT to that limited point...
Meanwhile, even civil service janitors are in the market via PFAs (because by law, their pensions are under the contributory scheme).

Let's not even return to the BASIC reality that to the extent that market appreciation enhances a company's balance sheet and/or valuation, it is in a better position to source capital for expansion/growth which would likely benefit "average" Nigerians (even construction laborers).
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by Mftivi: 12:21am On Jan 21, 2020
9jaRealist:

Dude, do you ever get tired of the irrelevant Strawman's Aguments? undecided

This is a rather SIMPLE, BASIC, ELEMENTARY and limited issue...
You ask how market appreciation benefits the "average" Nigerian, and you were EDUCATED how.

All this other rigmarole is IRRELEVANT to that limited point...
Meanwhile, even civil service janitors are in the market via PFAs (because by law, their pensions are under the contributory scheme).

Let's not even return to the BASIC reality that to the extent that market appreciation enhances a company's balance sheet and/or valuation, it is in a better position to source capital for expansion/growth which would likely benefit "average" Nigerians (even construction laborers).
>
you are out of context now. He didn't ask how market appreciation benefit average Nigerians, He asked how does what the op was talking about benefit average Nigerians. You are out of point just die the matter if you can't stay within the scope of the discussion.
If there is no real driver behind market rally it will just die down or even totally give up the gains the next day. I wasn't joking when I said you have no practical experience, what you speak of cannot be brought about by what the OP posted.
I can write a whole book on how market appreciation benefits the average people, but that is not the topic here and that was not the question asked.
If that guy takes your advice at face value and maybe invests in the equity market just because of the sudden rally the probability that he will get burnt is very high.
I don't see how you can disagree with me on that and still claim to be knowledgeable.
A sustained bullish rally in the market is brought about by good economic policies and market cycles (even the cycles are induced by economic policies that aim to keep a balance between inflation and deflation) and the effects on average people can only be felt long-term.
A couple of investment bankers made money, brokers made commissions etc not much was made by average Nigerians, average Nigerians can benefit from short term moves only if they are actively trading.
I understand his question and the context, you don't.
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 2:38am On Jan 21, 2020
Mftivi:
you are out of context now. He didn't ask how market appreciation benefit average Nigerians, He asked how does what the op was talking about benefit average Nigerians. You are out of point just die the matter if you can't stay within the scope of the discussion.
If there is no real driver behind market rally it will just die down or even totally give up the gains the next day. I wasn't joking when I said you have no practical experience, what you speak of cannot be brought about by what the OP posted.
I can write a whole book on how market appreciation benefits the average people, but that is not the topic here and that was not the question asked.
If that guy takes your advice at face value and maybe invests in the equity market just because of the sudden rally the probability that he will get burnt is very high.
I don't see how you can disagree with me on that and still claim to be knowledgeable.
A sustained bullish rally in the market is brought about by good economic policies and market cycles (even the cycles are induced by economic policies that aim to keep a balance between inflation and deflation) and the effects on average people can only be felt long-term.
A couple of investment bankers made money, brokers made commissions etc not much was made by average Nigerians, average Nigerians can benefit from short term moves only if they are actively trading.

And what did the OP post but the market appreciation in 2020? shocked
Despite low Nigerian standards, Plain English shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend. SMH

Blindersoff:
Nigerian stocks have been ranked as the world's best performers this year in dollar terms.

Paul Wallace @PaulWallace123 tweeted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulWallace123/status/1214858605624774664
Mftivi:
it doesn't benefit average Nigerian in any way. FG Bonds rate is unattractive now so it's just common sense that investors would shift towards equities, it adds nothing to the common man.
FDI (foreign direct Investment) have been nose diving since this administration took over and FDI can affect the average Nigerian but in this case negatively.
9jaRealist:
It does...

>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 2:47am On Jan 21, 2020
Mftivi:

My instinct is not to dignify these increasingly churlish Strawman's Arguments...smh undecided
Nonetheless, I will humour you with my response to a post right above your response to mine.

9jaRealist:
The NSE ended the year 2019 as the SECOND-WORST performing stock market (out of all tracked markets) GLOBALLY. What exactly has Buhari done in the 10 days of 2020 that you believe has single-handedly changed the trajectory of the market?

The continued (and, to be brutally honest, quite childish in many respect) Strawman's Argument drivel is IRRELEVANT...
Even if the market goes into a free-fall TOMORROW, nothing to prevent said "average" Nigerian from selling TODAY and walking away. SMH
>
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by Mftivi: 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2020
9jaRealist:

My instinct is not to dignify these increasingly churlish Strawman's Arguments...smh undecided
Nonetheless, I will humour you with my response to a post right above your response to mine.

The continued (and, to be brutally honest, quite childish in many respect) Strawman's Argument drivel is IRRELEVANT...
Even if the market goes into a free-fall TOMORROW, nothing to prevent said "average" Nigerian from selling TODAY and walking away. SMH
>
Yea, assuming they all have a crystal ball grin
Re: Nigerian Stocks Rank World Best Performers This Year (2020) by 9jaRealist: 1:58am On Jan 28, 2020
Mftivi:
Yea, assuming they all have a crystal ball grin

Is that what you use for your "practical" trading experience? No wonder you are confused... grin
>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms / Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? / Chaka Receives SEC License For Stock Trading In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.