Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? (12619 Views)

Novena University Gets NUC Approval For Law, Medical, Postgraduate Programmes / Best Law Books For Law Students: A Must Read For Aspiring Lawyers / OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by delpee(f): 4:34pm On Jan 11, 2020
Would you like to practice as a lawyer? Do you like to read extensively?

Are you passionate about news and information, research, investigative journalism, report writing etc?

What in particular do you see yourself doing happily in future for self fulfillment and to earn a living?

Think about these and more to enable you take a meaningful decision.

May God guide you.

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 11, 2020
If you're serious, focus and discipline; go for Law!

grin

As my spirit lead!

grin grin wink

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by sirBLUNT: 4:39pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5:
Evening guys.

I am confused. I initially wanted to take JAMB UTME and fill mass communication as my course in UNIBEN but as many of us know, it has been scraped and spilit to seven courses.

Six out of these seven are not my thing at all. I am left with English and Literature, Law, Theatre arts and Journalism.

My parents have warned me not to take theatre arts. I personally don't fancy studying English and literature.

I am scared of law because 98% of times, I have heard that law is extremly stressful and boring.

Journalism is cool but is a law degree not more valuable than that of a journalist?

Please people, help me decide as I have just 48 hours to make up my mind and purchase the form. Thanks.
Go and study English and literature
You will thank me after you graduate!

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Ebenezar2020(m): 4:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
Kekereekun123:
None. Both are useless degrees these days. Law firm no go pay pass 20k. Journalism na oga nephew from uk and usa get am . Better to go learn make up or tailoring . 5 years plus law school is not worth it
such a great advice but unfortunately she won't agree with u.
this her post is just a show off cos she can't wait to get into the university and explore wildly

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by ZiriMane(m): 4:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
From your post Theatre Arts is a choice you would have opted for if not for your parents "warnings". Well I'm in no position to know better than your parents on what suits you, but I should let you know the course which you are not considering is a very interesting and economically viable one.
I think Law is a better one than Journalism but since Mass communication is what you want why not opt to study one of the courses it has been " dis-membered" to?. I think there are 7 of them. My advice: "choose from there"

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by shigo1991(m): 4:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
same of the same....Go for the one that wont cost you much............

check my signature

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Ebenezar2020(m): 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2020
safarigirl:

A Journalism degree may take you farther than a law degree in less time.

You can practice journalism anywhere in the world, but with a law degree, you can only practice in Nigeria. If you leave Nigeria, you will have to go to Law School in the other country, or even repeat University in some cases

It depends on how much time you have and where you see yourself in seven years. Journalism will take up five years of your life tops, Law could take up to seven
hi! wia u in the same set with kanayo in uniabuja?
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by biggie73(m): 4:43pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5:
Evening guys.

I am confused. I initially wanted to take JAMB UTME and fill mass communication as my course in UNIBEN but as many of us know, it has been scraped and spilit to seven courses.

Six out of these seven are not my thing at all. I am left with English and Literature, Law, Theatre arts and Journalism.

My parents have warned me not to take theatre arts. I personally don't fancy studying English and literature.

I am scared of law because 98% of times, I have heard that law is extremly stressful and boring.

Journalism is cool but is a law degree not more valuable than that of a journalist?

Please people, help me decide as I have just 48 hours to make up my mind and purchase the form. Thanks.
....opt for Law program.

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Slynation(m): 4:43pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5:
Evening guys.

You know yourself better than we do, Law is very competitive, it can make you chill at home for the next 5yrs if you don't have connection or u didn't score above 280 in both jamb and PostUme... So better think twice before going for Law!! Unless you have plans to start selling make up kits or clothing wears on Instagram

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5:
Evening guys.

Thanks for sharing

You can use this experience as an opportunity to get better at making decisions about your life.

From what you've said, it seems you value hearsay over your own choices.

Frankly, you cannot afford to keep giving excuses for your life choices.

If you really want to go into Theatre Arts, why not focus on communicating the benefits to your parents?

Or do you prefer to pick a wild suggestion from a stranger on Nairaland and then have a moniker to blame when the inevitable challenges surface?

This is a wake up call to you; learn the right lessons from it and you'll become an emotionally mature adult in the process.

Thanks again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:59pm On Jan 11, 2020
Makanakico:
Law is a bit better, I think people should be encouraging their kids to go for STEM courses nowadays, cause they have the only carriers that matters now.
Is Nigeria as a country even strong in STEM or it's courses self

2 Likes

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Ajokesapphire(f): 5:01pm On Jan 11, 2020
Hello, Good Evening Everybody

Pls wat course can I study with this result that will land me a Good Career
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by edoairways: 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2020
Makanakico:
Law is a bit better, I think people should be encouraging their kids to go for STEM courses nowadays, cause they have the only carriers that matters now.
Parents should encourage their kids to take courses they have passion. STEM is good but many kids don't like it

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Ekeletu: 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5:
Evening guys.

If u are d one on ur profile pic, go for law. If the woman behind u on d profile pic is ur mom, go for journalism

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by safarigirl(f): 5:12pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ebenezar2020:
hi! wia u in the same set with kanayo in uniabuja?
yeah
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Wiifesnatcher(m): 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2020
Why not political science/public admin
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by edoairways: 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5 to set the record straight, mass communication hasn't been scrapped totally. Any university that wish to offer those new courses must seek approval from NUC first before they start those courses. As it stand, no university at the moment except otherwise has started those programs yet. Some persons suggested law based on it's popularity however I advice you do what you have passion for. There is nothing wrong with theatre arts, journalism or mass communication. The problem we are facing over here is the fact that the social and humanities are saturated with limited jobs.

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by micflo28(m): 5:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
Go for journal is or anything photography and journalism. There are lots of law graduates that are jobbless presently. With a degree in photography and journalism, You could both be on your own or get hired by the numerous media firms existing now.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Shikena(m): 5:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
I would go for Law first. If my true passion is Journalism I can always go for some advanced certificates after my Law degree. There are lots of outstanding journalists out there who started out with a law degree. It's also a good fallback option if things don't work out.

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 5:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
Kekereekun123:
None. Both are useless degrees these days. Law firm no go pay pass 20k. Journalism na oga nephew from uk and usa get am . Better to go learn make up or tailoring . 5 years plus law school is not worth it

I earned 350k monthly as a journalist far back as 2007/08.

My half earn 1. M monthly far back as 2011 as a journalist.

Depending on what you are seeing...

Vision, enthusiasm and growth is all you need in a career. To make it

The two courses are absolutely great!

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Ebenezar2020(m): 5:25pm On Jan 11, 2020
safarigirl:
yeah
I remember ur name is Lana. kindly mail me pls
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by tommy589(m): 5:27pm On Jan 11, 2020
teamoneline:
My dear,

State your criteria eg. Happiness, prestige, lifestyle, passion, financial freedom.

Rank the criteria eg. Happiness could be your most important criterion. You give it a 5 star

Happiness-5
Passion-5
Lifestyles-4 (eg. You like jaiye jaiye, you no fit mk am as Doctor o)
Etc, etc

Calculate the score for each course, from there you take your pick .. Cheers

I am making use of this as a reference for my daughter. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by saint17: 5:29pm On Jan 11, 2020
Please is there anyone who knows any platform where I can raise funds to pay for my tuition fees
Just let me know
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Enemyofpeace: 5:34pm On Jan 11, 2020
Boat of them are good curses, she should go for boat of them

I love dominique die
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by munezo(m): 5:47pm On Jan 11, 2020
Go for LAW
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Sammy07: 5:48pm On Jan 11, 2020
Makanakico:

If everyone goes for stem courses. What of other courses
Or you think they ain't relevant??
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by MostIncredibleDFirst: 5:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
Legal profession is really exciting when you have ideal clients - you'll not want to have any paid job whether as a judge, magistrate, lecturer or of counsel.

If you are not sure you'll have good paying clients, just forget about the law degree to avoid frustration and depression in future.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by namiji2598: 6:12pm On Jan 11, 2020
Kekereekun123:
u said it all bro, journAlism is the best among them, but if she no get connection, she no go find work
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Halexgos3(m): 6:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
Don't waste your time going for law, just hustle and be great
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Kayceenaz(m): 6:50pm On Jan 11, 2020
Pinkberry5:
Evening guys.

Dear Pinkberry5, my suggestion may not be popular but rest assured it will leave you with no regret 9 years later, like me. Humbly speak to God Almighty about it this night, for He is all-knowing plus what is best for you. He is your father, plead with Him to give you a sign and emphasize your carefulness to avoid any mistake. Lord Jesus is always ready to direct, pray wholeheartedly to Him alone, citing Proverbs 3:5. You could end up graduating with First Class Honors, too. That's what a decision supported by God can get you, the best outcome in any area of life. Try it. Cheers!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yabatech Admission List Is Out - Pre-registration Begins 1st Dec / Ogun Scraps Tai Solarin University & Merges Four IT Polytechnics / All Uniben New Admitted Student, Meet A Final Year Student Of Uniben

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.