Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,640 members, 7,823,817 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. (2382 Views)

5 Reasons Why Should Always Pray In The Morning / UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook / Do You Kneel Down To Pray In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by donny1: 11:24am On May 29, 2007
Can someone explain to me why the Muslims do not pray in English? Does it mean that GOD does not understand English when they pray?
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Iman3(m): 11:29am On May 29, 2007
God is an Arab
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by thesilent1(m): 11:33am On May 29, 2007
my mother would say if you ask a stupid question, you get,
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by TellyB(m): 11:42am On May 29, 2007
Now, now, guys. . . I think it is quite a good question. From what little I know on this issue, Muslims are passionate that the language to be used in addressing God is Arabic. That is what they passionately believe - because that is what their religion makes them believe.

Although not a Muslim myself, I'm quizzed about the ideas for this Arabic language having to be the one lingua franca to Allah. You won't believe it, but actually, just as Christians believe that tongues in the Spirit helps us speak to God, so the Muslims believe that Arabic does it for them.

Another reason they believe so is because they claim that the richness of Arabic as a language is unmatuched in its distinctives in contrast with other languages. For example, certain languages like our English may be able to distinguish between the genders (he, she, or even it); but it even reaches deeper in Arabic. How?

Well, while you have a single word for the plural gender ("them" for two males or females and several neuter), Arabic has different words for the plural genders for two males, two females.

My concern here is that the Semitic languages also have this distinctives; so it really hasn't scored a point with me, even though the Arabic distinctions are true!

Later today, if I can find time, I'll post a bit more on this very passionate topic, to help us non-Muslims understand (and appreciate) why Muslims adhere to Arabic as a very important language in their religion and culture.

Cheers all. wink
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Pishawar(m): 5:18pm On May 29, 2007
In Islam, any language other than Arabic is vernacular. God (Allah in Arabic) understands every lang, infact He was the creator of all langes, those we know and those we know not.

To say that Muslims don't pray in English is to look at the issue in the perspective of Northern Naija where most Muslims understand Arabic and feels better expressing themselves in Arabic rather than English when it comes to prayer.

Yet in Islam, to say the prayer in Arabic is better just for the following reasons:

Arabic is:

1. the language of the Qur'an
2. the language of the Prophet (SAW)
3. the language in Jannah

Some of the reasons given by Telly B notwithstanding, Arabic is sweeter and more fulfilling than any language when it comes to bringing out exactly what is in ones mind.

Try to know Arabic to understand what i mean cool
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 29, 2007
Pishawar:

In Islam, any language other than Arabic is vernacular. God (Allah in Arabic) understands every lang, infact He was the creator of all langes, those we know and those we know not.

To say that Muslims don't pray in English is to look at the issue in the perspective of Northern Naija where most Muslims understand Arabic and feels better expressing themselves in Arabic rather than English when it comes to prayer.

Yet in Islam, to say the prayer in Arabic is better just for the following reasons:

Arabic is:

1. the language of the Qur'an
2. the language of the Prophet (SAW)

Some of the reasons given by Telly B notwithstanding, Arabic is sweeter and more fulfilling than any language when it comes to bringing out exactly what is in ones mind.

Try to know Arabic to understand what i mean cool

This is inferiority complex to the highest order.
you should have been born arab then since they are more superior than you.
Big shame.

No wonder many Muslims are running around claiming a drop of arab ancestry because it makes them feel closer to allah.
You need deliverance!
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 29, 2007
What most non Muslims don't know is that majority of these non arab Muslims cram and recite prayers they don't even understand but love the "beauty of how it's recited".
Allah mandates they pray in arabic,with a saudi accent.
That is the only way he understands them
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Iman3(m): 5:35pm On May 29, 2007
Its amazing how Arabised Islam is.Not only is the Arabic language the "lingua franca",muslims often have to use Arabic names.

Why people can't pray in their local language beats my imagination
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by TellyB(m): 5:39pm On May 29, 2007
@Pishawar,

I understand where you might be coming from. However, I'm a little concerned about this line in yours:

Pishawar:

Arabic is:
- - -

A few questions will necessarily be asked here for some folks who might not be so close to where you're coming from:

#1. If Arabic is the language of Jannah, what about those who are non-arab or do not understand the language: will they also miss Jannah?

#2. How do you know that Arabic is the language of Jannah, if you haven't been there before yourself?

#3. Apart from the sweetness, what is so special about Arabic that is not is not found in other languages?

#4. Are you aware that some words in the Qur'an were borrowed purely from other Semitic languages - such as Hebrew and Aramaic? The Qur'an was not written purely all in Arabic.

Meanwhile, please do not mistake me for a scholar in the Arabic language; but I think I know just a little to hold an intelligent conversation about the language with people on the Forum.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 1:06am On May 30, 2007
Question: what happens to a yoruba muslim if arabic is the language of jannah?
Muslim: Allah knows best

Question: When a Finnish muslim faces "east", is he facing the qiblah?

Question:What do women get in jannah since the men have cornered all the virgins with regenerating hymens?
Muslim: Again only allah knows best.

Question: What is the significance of praying towards the qiblah?
Muslim:Aye, for it is a commandment of Allah

Question: Why does allah command facing the qiblah if truly his face is everywhere?
Muslim: Allah knows best.

Question: Will all muslims indeed go to hell?
Muslim: err Allah knows best.

Question: Why are you practicing a religion that is known only to Allah?
Muslim: you are a bigot!

Question: For refusing to answer any of the above questions?
Muslim: Answer my own questions first!
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 2:04am On May 30, 2007
davidylan:

Question: what happens to a yoruba muslim if arabic is the language of jannah?

Question: When a Finnish muslim faces "east", is he facing the qiblah?

Question:What do women get in jannah since the men have cornered all the virgins with regenerating hymens?
Muslim: Again only allah knows best.

Question: What is the significance of praying towards the qiblah?
Muslim:Aye, for it is a commandment of Allah

Question: Why does allah command facing the qiblah if truly his face is everywhere?
Muslim: Allah knows best.

Question: Will all muslims indeed go to hell?
Muslim: err Allah knows best.

Question: Why are you practicing a religion that is known only to Allah?Muslim: you are a bigot!

Question: For refusing to answer any of the above questions?
Muslim: Answer my own questions first!

lol
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 2:43am On May 30, 2007
allahu alam
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by BlackMamba(m): 4:11am On May 30, 2007
Reciting prayers in Arabic is as ignorant and dumb as reciting prayers in Latin. This is one of the reasons religion is such a repressive concept.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by donny1: 8:32am On May 30, 2007
The Muslims should communicate to everyone in this world for quick understanding.God hears every language and for them to adhere only to Arabic language is not good.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by TellyB(m): 9:46am On May 30, 2007
@BlackMamba,

BlackMamba:

Reciting prayers in Arabic is as ignorant and dumb as reciting prayers in Latin. This is one of the reasons religion is such a repressive concept.

It may not be ignorant or dumb at all: it is their preferred language of prayer - just as many charismatic Christians have taken glossolalia (speaking in tongues) as their preferred prayer-language.

Arabic is quite a beautiful language - if only we knew. I'm not a Muslim, but have very little (or basic) knowledge of the Semitic languages to know what I'm saying. There may be questions to ask and answers to be proffered; and many Muslims do what they do, using the Arabic ignorantly (as I might add, some of us Christians do with the glossolalia).

I'd like to expand on this point later, as my PC does not have the Arabic characters. Over the weekend, I'll trip over to my friend's who has it, and then post something helpful in this regard.

Cheers.  smiley
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by needeeg(m): 7:15pm On May 30, 2007
Because that is what our religion makes us believe in. And why does the Christain praying in english
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by TellyB(m): 7:30pm On May 30, 2007
@needeeg,

What issues do you really have as relates to the topic? Christians are not bound by only one language:

Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded,
because that every man heard them speak in his own language. -- Acts 2:6

There are different kinds of languages, and God is well able to understand every language in which people speak to Him in prayer or praise. The question here is why Islam chose only one language, despite the fact that the Qur'an borrowed words from other languages (e.g., Hebrew) as well.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by needeeg(m): 9:24pm On May 30, 2007
Ok, guess the question is why we not praying with english right?, ok fine because our religion say's Arabic and that's wat we beleive in simple!!

And thanks you say God is well able to understand every language in which people speak to Him in prayer or praise.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by mukina2: 9:31pm On May 30, 2007
Saliala Muhammad!(saw)
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 30, 2007
The convoluted logic of islamic doctrine

needeeg:

Ok, guess the question is why we not praying with english right?, ok fine because our religion say's Arabic and that's what we beleive in simple!!

And thanks you say God is well able to understand every language in which people speak to Him in prayer or praise.

We do not pray in English BECAUSE our religion firmly commands we pray in Arabic BUT allah is well able to understand every language with which we speak to him in prayer even though he forbids us to pray in other languages and insists the quran is no longer holy as soon as it is translated from the original arabic script.

Allahu alam!
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by needeeg(m): 3:10pm On May 31, 2007
Nice Land, so wat next @Author
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by belloti(m): 4:31pm On May 31, 2007
Had We sent this as a Qur'an (in the language) other than Arabic, they would have said: "Why are not its verses explained in detail? What! (a Book) not in Arabic and (a Messenger an Arab?" Say: "It is a Guide and a Healing to those who believe; and for those who believe not, there is a deafness in their ears, and it is blindness in their (eyes): They are (as it were) being called from a place far distant!"
( سورة فصلت , Fussilat, Chapter #41, Verse #44)

A Book, whereof the verses are explained in detail;- a Qur'an in Arabic, for people who understand;-
( سورة فصلت , Fussilat, Chapter #41, Verse #3)
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 31, 2007
belloti:

Had We sent this as a Qur'an (in the language) other than Arabic, they would have said: "Why are not its verses explained in detail?

Even with the quran in arabic language, are the verses explained in detail? What does the arabic version say about muslims who will "pass over, go down into" hell by a decree of allah?
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by youngies(m): 5:04pm On May 31, 2007
Many Muslims have tried to deny that the text says that everyone will enter hell. They argue that the expression "go down" ( wurood ) doesn't necessarily mean to enter hell, but it can also mean to pass through or over.

Some will even argue that the text is simply saying that people will cross over hell into Paradise on a bridge called Sirat, even though the Quran nowhere alludes to such a bridge. The late AY Ali wrote: - Three interpretations are possible, (1) The GENERAL interpretation is that EVERYONE must pass through or by or over the Fire
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 31, 2007
@ youngies,

even they know they are merely decieving themselves because the very next verse talks of allah saving some and leaving the wicked in hell. It is clear indication that assuming allah and his fantasy land called jannat exists, all muslims will enter hell waiting to hit the lottery to be among the lucky few who will be saved.

There is but one caveat, those who kill in the name of allah (erroneously and mischieviously refered to as martyrs) go straight to the laps of 72 virgins in jannat! No wonder there is so much blood flowing in the land. Who wouldnt want to sacrifice one soul for a chance to escape hell!
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by youngies(m): 5:10pm On May 31, 2007
According to Surah 19:71 every Muslim will go to Hell (for at least some time), while another passage states that those who die in Jihad will go to Paradise immediately.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by TellyB(m): 7:42pm On May 31, 2007
It seems strange that they're told how to ENTER hell fire; but nowhere are they told how to GET OUT of the same hell alive.

Okay, I concede that on the one hand, Allah has made a decree to send each and every muslim (without exception)* to hell according to Sura 19:71. On the other hand, it is the same Allah who brings them out of hell (and leaves some in it).

The question here is: what is the guarantee that any Muslim is sure to be removed from hell, when in fact there is no guarantee but merely 'if Allah wills'?? The crossing over a bridge is NOWHERE alluded to in the Qur'an; but the mullahs have taken upon a hadith and encased their hope in it even though it runs in direct contradistinction to what is in the Qur'an? undecided

*Actually, the exceptions of prophets and jihadists came later after Muhammad was pressurised to release a Qur'anic verse for the question - but that verse of the Qur'an was later cancelled!! Anyone saying that the Qur'an is complete with all the verses hasn't checked out the facts - ask and I'll provide the Hadith references.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 4:41am On Jun 01, 2007
mukina2:

Saliala Muhammad!(saw)

you are about 600 years late dear.
God don settle im case since
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Emmo: 8:22am On Jun 01, 2007
I had not intended on replying but reading several intolerant posts galvanized my need to. First off there aren't stupid questions but there are proper ways to ask questions in order to avoid offending others.

- Secondly prayers are remembered and recited in Arabic to preserve the original meaning of the text. It is impossible to make a perfect translation from one language to another without losing meaning or the original efficacy of the text.

- I'm sure you can think of many words that exist in your native tongue that don't exist in English. In that scenario a translator usually has to come up with a less precise equivalent, which may or may not change the overall meaning and effectiveness of a message. (Example: spit or saliva in Chinese( Cantonese dialect) is translated as mouth water). Without knowing both languages, how is an individual supposed to know what mouth water is in reference to? This where you start getting into numerous issues surrounding interpretations of translated text.

- Even if you could make a perfect translation from Arabic to English, all this does is open doors for more translations. Hypothetically speaking, lets say you want to translate from Arabic to Quechua( Language of the Inca Empire/South America). There may not be someone available to do that translation, that has a high degree like a PhD in both languages( you shouldn't translate text 'especially religious text' for mass production unless you have a high degree) because speaking fluently is completely different from written fluency. So what you have here is a situation where the text has to be translated from Arabic to English then to Quechua or even Arabic to English to Spanish then to Quechua. You get a long chain of translations of translation that further pervert the original meaning of texts.
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by youngies(m): 11:36am On Jun 01, 2007
Emmo:

I had not intended on replying but reading several intolerant posts galvanized my need to. First off there aren't stupid questions but there are proper ways to ask questions in order to avoid offending others.

- Secondly prayers are remembered and recited in Arabic to preserve the original meaning of the text. It is impossible to make a perfect translation from one language to another without losing meaning or the original efficacy of the text.

- I'm sure you can think of many words that exist in your native tongue that don't exist in English. In that scenario a translator usually has to come up with a less precise equivalent, which may or may not change the overall meaning and effectiveness of a message. (Example: spit or saliva in Chinese( Cantonese dialect) is translated as mouth water). Without knowing both languages, how is an individual supposed to know what mouth water is in reference to? This where you start getting into numerous issues surrounding interpretations of translated text.

- Even if you could make a perfect translation from Arabic to English, all this does is open doors for more translations. Hypothetically speaking, lets say you want to translate from Arabic to Quechua( Language of the Inca Empire/South America). There may not be someone available to do that translation, that has a high degree like a PhD in both languages( you shouldn't translate text 'especially religious text' for mass production unless you have a high degree) because speaking fluently is completely different from written fluency. So what you have here is a situation where the text has to be translated from Arabic to English then to Quechua or even Arabic to English to Spanish then to Quechua. You get a long chain of translations of translation that further pervert the original meaning of texts.

Again lots of words but no sense lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by thesilent1(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2007
@ youngies,

Again lots of words but no sense

i do not totally agree with you here. i agree and believe that certain things CAN be lost in translation and transmission so from that point of view, i can accept and understand why the Arabic language is "preserved"

i think we all have to agree that even in our own languages, translating to english can be funny sometimes.

this does not mean i am a muslim; no, its just that i love to hear balance and i will try and be fair and honest when i can (God help me! LOL)
Re: Why Does The Muslims Do Not Pray In English. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 01, 2007
Emmo:

Does not this exxpose the fallacy of islam? What of the more than 50% of muslims who can neither speak, read or write in arabic? How have they been reading the quran and reciting their prayers? Is allah hearing their prayer or is islam only meant for the arabs?

True many words can be lost on translation from the arabic to other languages but it seems this is a ready excuse for just about ANY hadith or verse in the quran that embarrasses muslims. As soon as you point out the illogical verses someone is quick to remind you the meaning has been lost in translation and we should go read it in the arabic.

the funny thing is NONE of them has been bold enough to read the true arabic meaning and come explain things to us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Todays Devotion,22 August.a New Beginning / Obligatory Baths ( Bath After SEX)GHUSL / How Did You Do Your Boxing Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.