Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,907 members, 7,821,149 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal (96332 Views)

Operation Amotekun: Carry Illegal Arms, Be Arrested, Police Warn OPC, Hunters / Operation Amotekun Begins In South-West: Yoruba Youths Warn Criminals / Ikpeazu Declares ‘Operation Zero Potholes’ In Abia State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Cherez: 10:46am On Jan 15, 2020
wirinet:

Sorry to say, but you don't know how international politics and diplomacy works.

I reiterate again Iran has never ran any terror program on US soil , and no Iranian has ever planned or carried out a terror attack on US soil.

Only Trump and Pompeo seem to know. They have not been able to explain to the American people the real reason Soleimani was assassinated. Even his republican members of Congress were angry at the briefings Trump's people gave.

Agreed. But the coys are terrorists to the US and israel, but not to most countries of the world. The Europeans, Russia, china, etc do not view Iran as terrorist.

These were Iranians coming in through the ports, so these are the ones the authorities could easily identify.
If a war actually breaks out, the government would hunt for Iranians and detain them for the duration of the war. This was what happened to Japanese and Japanese Americans and Germans in America during WW2.

Terrorist in inverted commas as I used depicts specificity.
Lol, you had to mention Israel that showed signs they were not interested in the US-IRAN beef?
Guy, did you really say this, "These were Iranians coming in through the ports, so these are the ones the authorities could easily identify."? So you dont know the US has a database of migrants?
Those coming in were only detained to scan them.
Even some Americans left Iran & Iraq due to personal security.
The argument is that no one except the North can do that in a non-war situation.
The SW & SE has no land boundary, so I doubt if any war will occur between the 2
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 10:46am On Jan 15, 2020
myobjective:

But we all know that herdsmen carry illegal firearms why hasn't anyone of them being arrested?

They are being arrested and often killed in the process every day - their pictures are all over the internet if you care to look.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by myobjective: 10:51am On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

They are being arrested and often killed in the process every day - their pictures are all over the internet if you care to look.

But you will agree with me that the way the federal government is handling the issue of herdsmen is playing into the hands of the propagandist to cause a problem.

The federal government has failed to protect life and property both in the south and north, don't you think it will better for the state/regional government to have some kind of security architecture in place to complement the work of the federal government?

1 Like

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 10:56am On Jan 15, 2020
myobjective:

The problem with the Nigeria force is political and lack of capacity. We are seriously under policed in Nigeria, there are thousands of community without police presence both in the north and south, this gives room for criminals to easily have their ways.

Having community police doesn't stop the federal government from doing their job, it will only complement their activity.

If I may ask, why are you guys so worried about a security outfit created to solve a problem than the instigator of the problem itself?

No one is against community policing, the presiden even said so himself; however, such arrangements must have approval and be sanctioned by the FG and relevant law enforcement agencies.
As for your question (in bold) I have already addressed it in one of my earlier posts.

- because there is always the danger that such outfits can easily be hijacked or get out of control and therefore mushroom to something never imagined or intended before (e.g. an ethnic supremacist witch hunting or separatist machinery) in view of which no govt will sit back and fold its arm at such possibility.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by myobjective: 10:59am On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

No one is against community policing, the president even said so himself; however, such arrangements must have approval and be sanctioned by the FG and relevant law enforcement agencies.
As for your question (in bold) I have already addressed it in one of my earlier posts.

- because there is always the danger that such outfits can easily be hijacked or get out of control and therefore mushroom to something never imagined or intended before (e.g. an ethnic supremacist witch-hunting or separatist machinery) in view of which no govt will sit back and fold its arm at such possibility.

I agree with the bolded.

If I may ask, what is the way forward to checkmate the issue of kidnapping and herder-farmer clashes in both North and South?
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 11:02am On Jan 15, 2020
myobjective:

But you will agree with me that the way the federal government is handling the issue of herdsmen is playing into the hands of the propagandist to cause a problem.

The federal government has failed to protect life and property both in the south and north, don't you think it will better for the state/regional government to have some kind of security architecture in place to complement the work of the federal government?

I agree with you wholeheartedly; but let it be done in a sensible manner that will ensure real security and not fall into the hands of reckless politicians who may hijack or mismange it into something far worse than intended - one of the reasons that many are weary of state police.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 11:09am On Jan 15, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Hunters carry arms, Herders carry"ak47 to defend themselves" (a very sophisticated automatic gun), even JTF carry weapons as long as it is sanctioned by law and the police or necessary security agencies are aware of the weapons.

Amotekun would also only carry not so sophisticated weapons to defend themselves because let's face it they would be facing criminals who might also be armed.

@ the AGF

What exactly is the AGF saying that is unique or sensible, he claimed they should consulted him first.

However, what exactly do we need his permission for ?

AGF isn't the constitution, the constitution is for everyone to see and only the court can determine if an action is illegal not the AGF.

Anyways, this case would be challenged in the court of law.

You just lost your argument by your opening statement.
Yes indeed; challenging the AGF/FG in court is the right way to go.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 11:14am On Jan 15, 2020
myobjective:

I agree with the bolded.

If I may ask, what is the way forward to checkmate the issue of kidnapping and herder-farmer clashes in both North and South?

Improve our security architecture and empower the law enforcement agencies with better equipment, training; more personnel and funding; and cooperation from local communities in terms providing necessary intelligence.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by obentenyson(m): 11:19am On Jan 15, 2020
Germi9:
Are you in anyway related to a Monkey?
yes. your family..
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by obentenyson(m): 11:20am On Jan 15, 2020
Germi9:

Your cluelessness and sentiments have taken the better of ur Senses,a simple yes or no would av helped u.
lol.. that's the only reply I have for someone who lives in space.... bomboclat.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by darediamond(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

You are beyond redemption; so I am not going to bother arguing with you.
I expect SENSIBLE reply from you over the issue of life and death Core North is playing with at the expense of we Southeners and here again you showed FoolishNESS in your reply like people up there whose region as been named "HOME OF LAWLESSNESS".
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by myobjective: 11:51am On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

Improve our security architecture and empower the law enforcement agencies with better equipment, training; more personnel and funding; and cooperation from local communities in terms of providing necessary intelligence.

Good points throughout but we are only looking at the security point, what about the salient point of old age practice of open grazing?

What about the economic hardship being faced by both harder and farmers that are forcing more people into crime?
I live in Abuja and I travel extensively across the north-central, south-west and north-west zones and all I see are angry youth ready to do anything to makes a living. How do we control our explosive population, create wealth in our rural areas through cartage industries, farming and agro-processing?

As people, we need to look holistically into conflict resolution, wealth creation and population control mechanism.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by viyon02: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2020
Ayed44:
The federal government has spoken.

Any Amotekun caught will be treated like a terrorist.
Don't worry let see how long the Fg will hold on
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 12:07pm On Jan 15, 2020
darediamond:

I expect SENSIBLE reply from you over the issue of life and death Core North is playing with at the expense of we Southeners and here again you showed FoolishNESS in your reply like people up there whose region as been named "HOME OF LAWLESSNESS".

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by dalass(f): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

I imagine you believe your governors have equipped this Amotekun to be more better and efficient than the Nigerian military and police - well done; clap for yourself.

At least let's try something else aside all these failed aboki-led military, federal govt and police, DSS etc who only pay lip service and profit from the insecurity of innocent lives and property.

We'll clap when the job is done!

1 Like

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 15, 2020
See all we need in this country is proper training of our police and monitoring too. Then we can talk of decentralisation of the police force at least let it be like NYPD NOPD not NPF for Pete's sake what the fvck?
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 12:28pm On Jan 15, 2020
myobjective:

Good points throughout but we are only looking at the security point, what about the salient point of old age practice of open grazing?

What about the economic hardship being faced by both harder and farmers that are forcing more people into crime?
I live in Abuja and I travel extensively across the north-central, south-west and north-west zones and all I see are angry youth ready to do anything to makes a living. How do we control our explosive population, create wealth in our rural areas through cartage industries, farming and agro-processing?

As people, we need to look holistically into conflict resolution, wealth creation and population control mechanism.

First, the minds and hearts of our youths need to rescued from our current lot of unethical politicians who have hijacked them through manipulations by sowing the seeds of hate and distrust within them in order to advance their (politicians) selfish agenda.

In this way they have polarised our perception, mindset and communities along the lines of tribe and religion so that they can remain popular and relevant as champions of their ppl at the expense or our national unity and security.

Our youths need to be re-programmed into eschewing these tribal and religious divisions and start seeing themselves as brothers an sisters and believing in our unity rather than division.

They must realise that their enemy is not tribe, region or religion but the hidden forces who encourage their disunity so that they can dominate and exploit them.

Secondly, we must eliminate corruption in all it ramifications in order to ensure transparency and accountability in governance and therefore justice in terms of equitable distribution and opportunities among the citizenry.

If we can achieve this, then everything will fall into place.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 12:32pm On Jan 15, 2020
dalass:

At least let's try something else aside all these failed aboki-led military, federal govt and police, DSS etc who only pay lip service and profit from the insecurity of innocent lives and property.

We'll clap when the job is done!

Then you will be welcoming anarchy, a breakdown of law and order, where everybody feels entitled to take up arms and do as they deem fit - careful what you are wishing for.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Babaken(m): 12:52pm On Jan 15, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Because FG said Yorubas Amotekun is illegal South and east should wake up......,.

Where they sleeping before?

please make una carry una cross.
my brother carry our cross go where
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by wirinet(m): 1:55pm On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

Improve our security architecture and empower the law enforcement agencies with better equipment, training; more personnel and funding; and cooperation from local communities in terms providing necessary intelligence.
The security architecture as presently constituted cannot work. The Nigerian Police Force was a colonial hang over with the sole purpose of protecting the colonial administrators from sometimes hostile natives. They owe their allegiance to the colonial government.
The Nigerian Police force main pre occupation is to protect the government in power and their conniving elite.
There are murders on the streets everyday without the police caring to carry out investigations and finding the murders. If one government official or a big man is killed, the police will Fish fish out the culprits under 48 hours.

A federal police cannot be expected to enforce local or customary laws, it just doesn't make sense. This is one of the reasons the police are useless during prosecutions and are often disgraced in court. You expect a police man from Enugu to learn the state and customary laws of in ogbomosho, to be able to successfully prosecute a case in ogbomosho.

A state house of assembly makes laws, a state high Court interprete the laws, but you expect a federal police to enforce the laws. Does that make sense?

Not that I exactly oppose hisbah Police or Amotekun or even Biafra secrete service (that is if the chief executives of the south east states decides to name their Police as such), my grouse is in the laws governing their creation and operation. They should operate within the confines of the constitution and not try an impose laws that limits freedom guaranteed by the constitution.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by writeprof(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2020
seunmohmoh:
People following politics, una dey try o.

cheesy grin
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Germi9: 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2020
obentenyson:
yes. your family..
No wonder
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Kuginzi: 3:42pm On Jan 15, 2020
hardbody:

Never mind, the band is on its way. And they will play all night on your side of the coloured roof
Hahahaha....
As edey pepper u for body

Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by joinnow: 5:53pm On Jan 15, 2020
PerfectlyPerfect:
I can't see any law backing Hisbah police too.

Has anyone noticed that, unlike previous months, the number of people opposing this government on threads on front page has increased.
I'm guessing they've reduced the salary of our Nairaland resident zombies

nope
govt is owing them
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by joinnow: 5:54pm On Jan 15, 2020
let just divide
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by NaMeAboki: 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2020
wirinet:

The security architecture as presently constituted cannot work. The Nigerian Police Force was a colonial hang over with the sole purpose of protecting the colonial administrators from sometimes hostile natives. They owe their allegiance to the colonial government.
The Nigerian Police force main pre occupation is to protect the government in power and their conniving elite.
There are murders on the streets everyday without the police caring to carry out investigations and finding the murders. If one government official or a big man is killed, the police will Fish fish out the culprits under 48 hours.

A federal police cannot be expected to enforce local or customary laws, it just doesn't make sense. This is one of the reasons the police are useless during prosecutions and are often disgraced in court. You expect a police man from Enugu to learn the state and customary laws of in ogbomosho, to be able to successfully prosecute a case in ogbomosho.

A state house of assembly makes laws, a state high Court interprete the laws, but you expect a federal police to enforce the laws. Does that make sense?

Not that I exactly oppose hisbah Police or Amotekun or even Biafra secrete service (that is if the chief executives of the south east states decides to name their Police as such), my grouse is in the laws governing their creation and operation. They should operate within the confines of the constitution and not try an impose laws that limits freedom guaranteed by the constitution.

The issues you raised in your 1st paragraph will be addressed once the problem of corruption which riddles the police, like the rest of our society, is resolved.

Current police postings involve retention of 1/3 of indigenous officers in their states of origin; while the other 2/3 are drawn from other states/regions.

In theory, this arrangement would address the issue of local peculiarities, including prosecution of customary laws, knowledge of customs and traditions by indigenous officers; while the rest would be expected to provide the much needed objectivity and neutrality required in their duty in maintaining law and order.

I agree entirely with your views in your last paragraph.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Deepthoughts: 6:21pm On Jan 15, 2020
goshee:
which southerners? are you mad? NK set up BSS but afonjas in collaboration with the FG tag them terrorist group and now you want us to unite and fight Amoteku. Ogun kee you there. SW has to fight their battle alone
And so,the north shall continue to treat you all as second class citizens.i hope you will be happy with that.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by BabaRamota1980: 6:23pm On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

The issues you raised in your 1st paragraph will be addressed once the problem of corruption which riddles the police, like the rest of our society, is resolved.

Current police postings involve retention of 1/3 of indigenous officers in their states of origin; while the other 2/3 are drawn from other states/regions.

In theory, this arrangement would address the issue of local peculiarities, including prosecution of customary laws, knowledge of customs and traditions by indigenous officers; while the rest would be expected to provide the much needed objectivity and neutrality required in their duty in maintaining law and order.

I agree entirely with your views in your last paragraph.

Under the colonial legacy referenced by wirinet Hausa Constables were the first set of recruits.

Through that arrangement it is easy to see that Colonial government keyed into the conflicts they met on ground amongst the indigenes. There is a story, and history, to that but its not pertinent to this thread.

The 1/3 local and 2/3 posting has zero value to add to balance and neutrality. It was part of the many artificial structures created to force unity. It followed same pattern as in military postings, youth corps, federal government schools and even civil servants.

Opposition to foreigners on the soil was a central point in the coup and war of 66/67.

It is a useless policy not supported by any scholarship or academic input.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by AreaFada2: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2020
NaMeAboki:

Then you will be welcoming anarchy, a breakdown of law and order, where everybody feels entitled to take up arms and do as they deem fit - careful what you are wishing for.
Shouldn't FG become proactive now considering that the regions want grassroot policing? With people near the grassroots who understand local culture policing their own areas? Why can't FG meet with the regions to work out a viable local policing formula?

As a kid I saw police and soldiers deployed from the North harassing Southern female students near two campuses for wearing skirts.

They automatically saw them as prostitutes. With their Sharia worldview. That was just after Buhari took over in 1983 to 1984. Security forces were moved across the country.

Yet people in the South didn't want Sharia law enforcement. They wanted and still want secular criminality fought: robberies, car jacking, burglaries, etc.

We must start decentralization soonest. The stranglehold of the behemoth FG is simply suffocating. Because it is grossly inefficient, unwieldy and stifles legitimate regional aspirations.

Citizens have no reason to trust some "emperor" in faraway Abuja than their local officials.

Virtually all successful countries have a decentralised system: Germany, UK, USA, Switzerland, etc.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by goshee: 7:51pm On Jan 15, 2020
Xisnin:

What's the basis of this comparison?
BSS is not a security system.
It was an arm of Ipob a secessionist group.
Ipob was declared a terrorist group by a court for its secessionist activities
against the state.

If you think BSS should be legal, then you have missed it.
for you information BSS was set up to curb invaders and address the security challenges in the south east but you people supported the motion that aborted BSS. If a court of law can tag an armless group who only seek self determination a terrorist group what makes you think they won't do so to Ametoku who they think will work against their interest if they so wish. it will only cost a phone call from Abba Kyari to Tanko Muhammed
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by Jones8(m): 9:04pm On Jan 15, 2020
These northern extremists have failed. Everything is open now. Everyone must protect them selves.

This administration is full of bad news and human massacre.

Nothing is true in this country.

Don't believe a person who tells you they're not corrupt.
Re: FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal by wirinet(m): 9:05pm On Jan 15, 2020
goshee:
for you information BSS was set up to curb invaders and address the security challenges in the south east but you people supported the motion that aborted BSS. If a court of law can tag an armless group who only seek self determination a terrorist group what makes you think they won't do so to Ametoku who they think will work against their interest if they so wish. it will only cost a phone call from Abba Kyari to Tanko Muhammed

BSS was set up by who? Did kanu have any authority or license to set up a security company before you even start talking of a public security service? The governors have authority as chief security officers of the state (in name only though ).

Many people including the FG do consider IPOB an armless group. Kanu had openly solicited for arms to fight against Nigeria. He had open your threatened Yorubas and hausas, security officers, the president and even other igbo leaders who disagree with their objectives. They openly and violently attacked Ekwerenmadu in Germany and threatened to attack others if they ventured outside Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Nigerians With Over N5,000 In Bank Won’t Get Palliatives - FG / President Jonathan’s Salary Revealed / Dethroned Emir Sanusi's Emotional Farewell At His Palace Balcony (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.