Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,074 members, 7,835,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies (744 Views)

Eto’o Is The Father Of Erika Do Rosario Nieves, 22-year-old Spanish - Court / Tyson Fury Fights 8 Security Guards At WWE Smackdown To Confront Wrestler(Photos / World’s Famous Actor ‘the Rock’ Spotted Wrestling A Dangerous Alligator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Blindersoff: 11:01am On Jan 16, 2020

Rocky “Soul Man” Johnson, a WWE Hall of Fame wrestler who became better known as the father of the actor Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson, has died. He was 75.

World Wrestling Entertainment issued a statement about his death on Wednesday night. Johnson and Tony Atlas became the first black world tag-team champions in WWE history when they defeated the Wild Samoans on 10 December 1983. WWE did not give details on the cause or location of Johnson’s death.

“A loss for every fan of @WWE, Rocky Johnson was a barrier-breaking performer. Our thoughts are with his family at this time,” tweeted the WWE executive and wrestler Paul “Triple H” Levesque.

Johnson helped to train his son, the Rock, who adopted the moniker from his father. Johnson came to his son’s aid after a match at WrestleMania in 1997. The Rock inducted his father into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2008.

The former professional wrestler Brian Blair, another 1980s WWE star, was friends with Johnson for many years and they still went to church together in Tampa, Florida. Blair said that Johnson had complained of an unspecified illness and lately had missed church. Blair said Johnson’s wife, Sheila, was distraught over her husband’s death.

Blair said: “He was just under the weather, he thought he had the flu or something. I said, ‘You need to get checked out, Rocky.’ He said he’d be OK. Then he missed this Sunday, a few days ago. When I talked to him again, he said he still wasn’t feeling good and he still missed church. He still didn’t get checked out. I talked to Sheila and she said he was just being stubborn. He died at home, today.”

Johnson was born Wayde Douglas Bowles and began his wrestling career in the mid-1960s. He spent the majority of his career in the National Wrestling Alliance and later joined the then World Wrestling Federation in the 1980s. He formed a tag team with Atlas, known as “Soul Patrol”, and became one of the popular teams of the era. Johnson retired in the early 1990s, but helped introduce his son to officials at WWE.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jan/16/wrestler-rocky-soulman-johnson-father-of-actor-the-rock-dies

Mynd44, Lalasticlala
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Blindersoff: 11:02am On Jan 16, 2020

Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by bigiyaro(m): 11:09am On Jan 16, 2020
good old days, this indomie generation just dey chop diluted version of WWF. RIP.
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Eaztzide: 11:15am On Jan 16, 2020
RIP
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Aidejay(m): 11:16am On Jan 16, 2020
Rip
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Kingosytex(m): 11:18am On Jan 16, 2020
R.I.P to the old man.

Back to the matter at hand, how Uzodinma who came a distant 4th in the just concluded elections managed to win at the supreme court still beats my imagination.

The supreme court judges must really be mathematical gurus. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Bewiseedet(m): 11:20am On Jan 16, 2020
Opps. I now see where Dwanye gets those muscles from. RIP big man
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by chiemmanuel(m): 11:50am On Jan 16, 2020
When wrestling was worth watching, the days of tito fly santana, john care dog, Andrew the giant

1 Like

Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by Blindersoff: 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2020
chiemmanuel:
When wrestling was worth watching, the days of tito fly santana, john care dog, Andrew the giant

Junkyard Dog and Andrey the Giant

2 Likes

Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by thundafire: 12:27pm On Jan 16, 2020
bigiyaro:
good old days, this indomie generation just dey chop diluted version of WWF. RIP.
I tell u dis days wrestling too boring
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by bigiyaro(m): 1:17pm On Jan 16, 2020
thundafire:
I tell u dis days wrestling too boring
very very boring and predictable.
Re: Wrestler Rocky Johnson, Father Of Actor The Rock, Dies by boliswitpassprik(m): 1:52pm On Jan 16, 2020
grin

(1) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Base Club, Vandrezzer Becomes The 1st Nigeria Clubside To Own And APP / Highest-paid Players In The World After Mbappe’s New Deal / Please Advise On This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.