Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,329 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ (7435 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 6:14pm On Dec 08, 2010
kayci_d77:

I just Dey LAUGH, NDs, na now u guys wake up, when Northerners have been using u guys head for a long time, what Yorubas did to Ibos was betrayal , What the so called Political ND( SS) did to Igbos was denial( 5 times for that matter), now u guys are crying wolf. Even with that the SE has been playing Big brother role to help u guys from the hand of the ATIKUS and IBBs,

You need to understand that the ND (or any part of Nigeria for that matter) needs brothers, but certainly not "[b]Big [/b]brothers."
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 6:28pm On Dec 08, 2010
, Are the civilian politicians incapable of changing the structure of the state?

Indeed they not able because they are not capable of it. No civilian govt has ever done that before in Nigeria. State / Region creation has always been a reserve of the colonial rulers and the Armies. There is no unison among the politicians about state creation because of the sharing formula might become more "imbalance".

Exemption was the Midwest ofcourse. And the creation of the Midwest was rather treacherous. The sole aim was to put the West in check back then. And it is quite of note that the Yorubas have never accused the Eastern region and indeed the Midwest of betrayal, even though the SS and especially the SE as they are known now really played an important role in that particular treacherous act.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 6:43pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

Beaf is just beafing for much ado about nothing! Keep beafing! I will definitely beat you hands down on Geography anytime. I stated it and I repeat it. Is it you that claim that money from slave trade helped build ND that I should believe? We are talking about the pre oil era and you are quoting 160 square kilometer oil palm plantation in Bayelsa. The Bulk of the oil palm production was not in the ND my friend.

Who is claiming what? Did I claim anything? If someone does not know anything, it is YOU my Beaf. The pronvinces of Benin and Delta were until 1963 part and parcel of the Western region of Nigeria. BTW, whom did you fight to create the Midwest?

The Niger delta is a relatively new phenomenon in the context of Nigerian politics. It is a fact! Or when did you start following Nigerian politics? Resulting to insults and name calling does not buttress your points, it definitely show your tactlessness. Hence beafing Beaf, if any one is ignorant, it is you buddy. It is you!

Haaa, he is really sinking a boat. The irony of a fool is that he rejoices at sinking a boat whereas he does not realize that the boat he is sinking is his very own boat. It's a shame. I really pity you!!! Pele, sorry, ndo!! I no dey laugh o, I dey pity you welli welli.

I will tally the score between the truth and your dugbe market stories.

You have talked so much crap and hearsay, every last item of which has been comprehensively demolished.

Your first lie was that money from "somewhere" was used to build the ND; I countered with facts and figures that showed that the present is just the past repeating, in 1900 oil palm produce accounted for a whopping 90% of Nigeria's export earnings.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 1 - 0.

Your second lie was that the Niger Delta consists of Rivers and Bayelsa only, this was proven wrong by simple recourse to elementary geography.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 2 - 0

Your third lie was that the phrase, Niger Delta is new parlance; that lie was murdered by a reference to the Niger Delta in the British Parliament in the year 1819.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 3 - 0

Your fourth lie was that oil palm doesn't do well in the Niger Delta, you claimed to know this being a swamp dweller (whatever that is); however, I showed you (again with reliable facts and figures) that Brass in Bayelsa was the most important oil city and further pointed you to a 160 square kilometre oil palm plantation in Bayelsa (with photo to match). In fact, the education further went to show you that the very existence of Nigeria as a country is due to palm oil (oil of a different kind) and Lugard was a representative of a palm oil trading company that became Nigeria.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 4 - 0

Your fifth lie was that Delta and Edo are part of the West; you were informed of the profound and vigorous battle for the Midwest to rid ourselves of a marriage that never worked.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 5 - 0

Your sixth lie was to claim that you would beat me in geography, whereas I have had to teach, teach, and patiently teach you the elementary facts of the states that make up the Niger Delta. The conclusion is self-obvious.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 6 - 0

We are serious peeps here. Abeg, find another place to spread your rumours and tall tales o jare! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 7:27pm On Dec 08, 2010
I will tally the score between the truth and your dugbe market stories.

You have talked so much crap and hearsay, every last item of which has been comprehensively demolished.

Your first lie was that money from "somewhere" was used to build the ND; I countered with facts and figures that showed that the present is just the past repeating, in 1900 oil palm produce accounted for a whopping 90% of Nigeria's export earnings.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 1 - 0.

E maa wo olodo yi o. He thinks Wikipedia is fact! Fallacy! Lets assume oil was 90% percent of export earnings in 1900, where did the bulk of that earnings go? And was the oil production centered in your todays Niger Delta? You have not given any convincing evidence on anything here. You just scored an own goal.

Your second lie was that the Niger Delta consists of Rivers and Bayelsa only, this was proven wrong by simple recourse to elementary geography.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 2 - 0

I never claimed that Niger Delta consist of ONLY Rivers and Bayelsa states. It is very good to be able to read and comprehend. Another own goal for Beaf.

Your third lie was that the phrase, Niger Delta is new parlance; that lie was murdered by a reference to the Niger Delta in the British Parliament in the year 1819.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 3 - 0

The term Niger delta is a relatively new phenomenon in Nigerian politics. You should really know that. Maybe geog and gra have turned your knowledge upside down. Another own goal scored by Beaf.
[/quote]

[quote]Your fourth lie was that oil palm doesn't do well in the Niger Delta, you claimed to know this being a swamp dweller (whatever that is); however, I showed you (again with reliable facts and figures) that Brass in Bayelsa was the most important oil city and further pointed you to a 160 square kilometre oil palm plantation in Bayelsa (with photo to match). In fact, the education further went to show you that the very existence of Nigeria as a country is due to palm oil (oil of a different kind) and Lugard was a representative of a palm oil trading company that became Nigeria.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 4 - 0

Who thought you English? If you read the sentence correctly, you would read that , oil palm does not thrive in "swampy" enviroment. Since when is enviroment equals to Niger delta? Another misfired shot. If you read your history book very well, you wont find anywhere where it is stated that the existence of Nigeria stems from palm oil. Or are you talking about the oil river protectorate? See rebound!

Your fifth lie was that Delta and Edo are part of the West; you were informed of the profound and vigorous battle for the Midwest to rid ourselves of a marriage that never worked.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 5 - 0

Beaf, common! I am very sorry for your english teacher. Maybe if you had not "fought vigorously" for the "independence" of the Midwest which I doubt, you would have enjoyed the free universal education that many of the older Edos and the Deltans got. And you would not have come out here to expose your "yansh" by argueing that I oko Oyinbo claims Edo and Delta to be part of the West. If there is anything to claim, my afinity in Delta state will specially lean towards the Itshekiri. We are atleast related with them. And in Edo state, I'd rather place my allegiance with the Akoko people. Apart from these two, the rest of the people in the Midwest can go places I care less even plus including their socalled oil. I am not an Ijo person. It is they that claimed that the whole coastal regions of NOT only Nigeria, but also of West Africa belongs to them. See how you are giving me cheap points by scoring a really bad own goal?

Your sixth lie was to claim that you would beat me in geography, whereas I have had to teach, teach, and patiently teach you the elementary facts of the states that make up the Niger Delta. The conclusion is self-obvious.
Truth vs okooyinbo: 6 - 0

Mr. Teacher, no teach me nonsense jare. I still maintain that I will knock you really out badly in Geography. It was one of my favourite subjects in school. And still, one of my favourite past time activities is getting to know places, cultures and people. Believe me, I go bazooka you to talk am for the language wey you understand well well. I dey ask meself why this boi dey gimme cheap goals sef. Abi him wan try to Maradonna himsef out of this wahala? Im no dey work o.

We are serious peeps here. Abeg, find another place to spread your rumours and tall tales o jare! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

See pot wey dey call kettle black! Beaf, I no dey laugh o, infact, I still dey pity you and your tisha. Lee, sorry, ndo!!!!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 7:42pm On Dec 08, 2010
Quote from: kayci_d77 on Today at 19:08:40
I just Dey LAUGH, NDs, na now u guys wake up, when Northerners have been using u guys head for a long time, what Yorubas did to Ibos was betrayal , What the so called Political ND( SS) did to Igbos was denial( 5 times for that matter), now u guys are crying wolf. Even with that the SE has been playing Big brother role to help u guys from the hand of the ATIKUS and IBBs,

You need to understand that the ND (or any part of Nigeria for that matter) needs brothers, but certainly not "Big brothers."

Well, Beaf can keep the brothers, I will stick with the Sisters grin. Now Beaf, me too dey laugh o!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 7:50pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

E maa wo olodo yi o. He thinks Wikipedia is fact! Fallacy! Lets assume oil was 90% percent of export earnings in 1900, where did the bulk of that earnings go? And was the oil production centered in your todays Niger Delta? You have not given any convincing evidence on anything here. You just scored an own goal.

Apart from being a liar, you are proving to be an id!ot as well. Wonders!
You will make all roadside story tellers proud with your degree of ignorance; caught lying pants down 6 times, comprehensively shown to be a liar 6 times. Na wa o! grin

But although palm-oil and palm kernels accounted for 80 to 90 per cent of total value of Nigerian exports in 1900, with the expansion of new exports of groundnuts, cocoa and tin they declined to only 47 per cent of exports in 1929.

-Pages 454 - 455, Colonialism in Africa, 1870-1960 By Lewis H. Gann, Peter Duignan

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-e88AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA456&lpg=PA456&dq=Royal+Niger+company+palm&source=bl&ots=NXvB8HwxjB&sig=oO3z7mMd9xHLh-eIqu_3M1y1nSQ&hl=en&ei=nHb_TPXEDcuyhAfTrOGmCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Royal%20Niger%20company%20palm&f=false

Was it centred in the Niger Delta? Google cures ignorance and foolishness, find out what oil rivers meant :

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ie7&q=oil+rivers&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSEA_en&redir_esc=&ei=BtP_TIbPAcOLhQfN6ajECw

Empty head.

Beaf, common! I am very sorry for your english teacher. Maybe if you had not "fought vigorously" for the "independence" of the Midwest which I doubt, you would have enjoyed the free universal education that many of the older Edos and the Deltans got. And you would not have come out here to expose your "yansh" by argueing that I oko Oyinbo claims Edo and Delta to be part of the West. If there is anything to claim, my afinity in Delta state will specially lean towards the Itshekiri. We are atleast related with them. And in Edo state, I'd rather place my allegiance with the Akoko people. Apart from these two, the rest of the people in the Midwest can go places I care less even plus including their socalled oil. I am not an Ijo person. It is they that claimed that the whole coastal regions of NOT only Nigeria, but also of West Africa belongs to them. See how you are giving me cheap points by scoring a really bad own goal?

I couldn't give a rats arse what your affinities are (in fact I would rather deny knowledge of someone so ignorant). Your great depths of foolishness have made you assume I'm Ijo, what can I expect from a small minded fool? Dude, I am not Ijo. The own goal is yours (as usual). Akpa!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Ladyrsky46: 7:57pm On Dec 08, 2010
Beaf:

You need to understand that the ND (or any part of Nigeria for that matter) needs brothers, but certainly not "Big [/b]brothers."
True say true say.
Whether it's the North, South, East ot West, we're all been colonised even though we are independent. We're still been stolen from. The Niger Delta area is not only for the Niger Deltans, but for the whole of Nigeria. When will we open our eyes and together fight against those destroying the area of the nation's main source of wealth?
After all the arguement, what we need is [size=30pt]UNITY[/size]
Without unity, Nigeria will [b]never ever
move forward.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 8:09pm On Dec 08, 2010
Oh my goodness. Where do I begin. So many errors.

okooyinbo:

I know, but I wont clarify why I used that word.

Your use of "substantial" was absolutely incorrect and served the purpose of distorting things.

Indeed they not able because they are not capable of it. No civilian govt has ever done that before in Nigeria. State / Region creation has always been a reserve of the colonial rulers and the Armies. There is no unison among the politicians about state creation because of the sharing formula might become more "imbalance".

What sort of rationale is this for preserving a scam? Lack of organization and cowardice are the reasons Northern civilian politicians aren't trying to change the structure of the state? Lagos state has 20 LG's but Kano state supposedly only about ten thousand more than Lagos state in population has 44 LG's and you're sitting here and actually trying to justify this by giving flimsy excuses. How about just admitting that Kano state civilian politicians are only to happy to profit disproportionately from the military's arrangement and get a "substantial chunk" more than they are due and take money while you there in the west as well as the rest of the south sit around and get played like fools.

I believe Kano state has got a high population, but I have my doubt as well as to the real population figure of that state. However, there is absolutely no doubt about it having a high population. The population figures of Jigawa, Kebbi, Bauchi, Katsina, Sokoto, Zamfara and Kaduna states do put questions on my mind more than that of Kano.

The entire population of the North is questionable.

I am ofcourse including all allocations put together. And it really dwarfs that of Kano State.

It SHOULD dwarf that of Kano State. Kano's contributions to national revenue pale in significance compared to that of Rivers. I'm glad Kano's allocations are dwarfed, considering that they should actually get less, with a fake population, fake local government areas. Rivers get a greater allocation because it's more important economically, period.

Well, the words and acts of the people determines them being termed as greedy.

According to who? Are you somehow not understanding that neither you or I have paramount authority to sit in judgment on some pedestal, pulpit, high horse, exalted position, golden stool,etc. and decide what constitutes a greedy person?

I would not say they are greedy for doing that actually.

Then you absolutely and completely failed to understand the analogy I was making.

I would praise them for using the little they had to archieve such a tremendous feat.

Complete and utter rubbish. Using the logic being applied to the ND, the cocoa and rubber they used belong to NIGERIA and not to them. It wasn't the "little they had" it was Nigeria's resources and they used it only to develop themselves, even setting up TV, which they didn't need, when other areas, like say, Middlebelt, could have used the excessive cocoa money to catch up with them in other areas and "eat too." This is what a parasite believes, anyways. Are you starting to see how ludicrous arguing against resource control gets?

The ND could learn one or two things from that.

They could learn how to use 50% or more of the revenue from their resources for their own development alone and then turn around and hypocritically deny others the right to do so from that. But that is more Northerners than Westerners as the  West didn't go on to determine derivation, so I'll leave off on this.

They should use what they are getting now to do tangible things.

What they are getting now is a sham. Imagine if the Western region would have been forced to get only 25% (because population wise, they had somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of Nigeria's population, if one accepts the probably rigged (in favor of the North) census) of the revenues from cocoa and rubber? They would have achieved only 1/4 as much and their achievements would have been nothing to write home about.

And btw, as noted by you, money was also taken from the West and the North by the federal government. And these regions never shouted 100% resource control as some are demanding.

False. Did you read the article I quote from? Money from mining royalties and import revenue taxes was taken from all regions by the colonial government and used to reduce to redress the fiscal imbalance between the West and rest. The West's actual ability to derive massive revenue from its cocoa, rubber, or other resources was not affected.

When the FGN was depleting the solid minerals of the other regions, why was nobody shouting 100% resource control back then?

Stop building nonfactual conjectures upon nonfactual conjectures. At no point did the FGN "deplete the solid minerals of the other regions." The minerals of the regions were used by the regions, and not at some nonsense 13% return.

As I said above, the Western Region was not greedy building infrastructure.

Why should they be allowed to use their immediate resources to develop only themselves? Why didn't Awolowo take his profits from cocoa and divvy them up amongst the rest of the federation instead of channeling it all into development of infrastructure of cities in the West? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds as a question? These are the kind of parasitic, silly questions one asks when one asks that the ND should divvy up proceeds from oil at their expense.

The infrastructures were absolutely needed

Who determines what is absolutely needed? Is a TV station "absolutely needed"? Under any reasonable use of  "absolutely needed" it wouldn't be. But you should now see my point here on how one can't sit in judgment and decree what constitutes needed or deserved things.

and thats why the other regions and the federal govt followed the example pace-setted by the West.

The other regions were doing their own thing entirely.

So, how could you claim that that is greediness?

I made a simple analogy. People who claim that ND would be greedy to the oil to develop primarily (50% derivation) themselves are calling Yorubas in the Western region greedy for previously doing the same thing with their own resources. I never claimed that actually was greed, I made a logical comparison, which you apparently did not understand.

Or did you read somewhere that the money earnmarked for such projects in other regions was misappropriated by the West?
Greediness is not about telling someone to stop doing what he likes either peacifully or coercifully. As such, you have no moral standing to ask the West or someone else for that matter to desist from developing.

Why should the West get to use the oh-so-valuable cocoa and rubber for their benefit and development when if I had a parasitic Nigerian mentality I would only approve them getting 13% or 25% of what should rightfully go them? I absolutely have the moral standing to tell the West that they must desist from using certain revenues to develop when as a parasite, I hold that these revenues from their region's resources are earmarked to be divvied up between the rest of the country. Fortunately I don't have that parasitic mindset so I'm not making that demand.

As far as I understand, nobody is asking the ND to not develop. We are actually encouraging them to do so. You can not just want more and more money without providing a tangible evidence of having diligently used the little you have already gotten.

Who said I thought people were asking the ND not to develop. This is obviously based on the stuff written above, which was completely logically flawed. And you don't seem to grasp that neither you, who have no authority of any kind whatsoever, nor any other Nigerian, should be the one grading them and evaluating when they will have met  your arbitrary and undisclosed criteria of diligent use of what they are getting now. What's funny is the extreme deflection and evasion inherent in this line of parasitic logic: its just claimed with absolutely no proof or evidence that "more and more money" (greater derivation) is being withheld on account of bad governance but at the same time it is being argued that they cannot be the only ones to benefit from their resource (so greater derivation/more money MUST be withheld) because "others have to eat too." On the one hand it implies that there could be no greater derivation without better governance while simultaneously claiming that there cannot be greater derivation because "others have to eat too" so the first part is redundant as justification of why there is not greater derivation and is really an evasive tactic. Evading the reality of acknowledging one's parasitic stance.

But they are clamouring for 100% resource control as I understood. Well, it could be they have sliced it. Even if any state gets 100% initially, they just gonna give up some to the federal govt and then share with other states. So has it been done, so will it be done.

It was always 50% before the militancy. I have no doubt the militants want 100% and there's actually no reason they shouldn't get it, actually. But I've only heard 50% from activists, politicians, etc., which would be a return to the 1950s. 100% is fine, as far I'm concerned.

50% is also far too much, it just wont happen.

Who says it's too much? You Who are YOU to decide what is or is  not too much? The fact that 50% derivation, which is what Nigeria STARTED WITH, and not "far too much" may not happen is one of the factors that makes the breakup of Nigeria more and more likely. You cannot have the federal government take 87% but then have that same federal government dominated by one section of the country (Northerners), and furthermore, by one obnoxious minority (Fulani).

Bear in mind, my local govt also produces oil. Nay, oil is also being exploited in my local govt.

Congratulations.

Its a lie! You dont mean[b] the ND people with all their fat houses[/b] are eating less from the oil "cake"?

What on earth could possibly be the meaning of the part in bold? Are you actually under the impression that those in the ND are doing better than those in other parts of the South?

Ha, friend, the mineral resouces in other places like Cola, Fanta, Dr Pepper are also being consumed. But nothing oils the food better than the OIL. It helps it slip through the Oesophagus with less stress.

At least the hypocritical, parasitic lust is being openly displayed and admitted.

The West was stingy and provided infrastructure in the Edo and Delta pronvinces.

False. They managed to NOT provide adequate infrastructure in Edo and Delta while still collecting tax revenue from those provinces!

from "Benin and the Midwest Referendum" by Nowa Omogui

"Detailed testimony was heard from a broad range of witnesses, including Chiefs Ezomo, Oliha, Ineh and Osula.  Other witnesses included the Chairmen of the Iyekovia, Uhunmwode and Benin City councils, namely Messrs Adonrin, Atohengbe and Ogbebor.  Edo women made a submission through Madam Eweka.  Complaints included lack of rubber markets and processing facilities, excessive local taxation, including “head taxes” which would then be remitted to Ibadan, poor infrastructure, and discrimination in the award of scholarships and opportunities for Edo women traders at Ibadan.  More recently, Mr. Isaac Asemota recalled that, “While Benin- City stayed in the dark with no electricity, running water, good roads, separate and unequal schools and grossly inadequate health clinics, there in Ibadan, Edo tax monies were being squandered in the construction of Cocoa House, Mapo Hall and Commercial Broadcasting Service Radio Station whose frequency we couldn’t even pick up in Benin-City. The best we could hope for was Redifussion radio which had a very low frequency and could not be heard more than two miles away from the broadcasting booth. “ (Isaac Asemota: “The last Edo Political Titan:  Chief Humphrey Omo-Osagie” unpublished manuscript, Edo-Nation Egroup, July 2, 2002.)

The most powerful and emotional testimony from Benin came from Chief H Omo-Osagie.  He lamented the insidious cultural role of Ifa divination and Ogboni activities in inserting Yoruba values and ways into Benin society.  He explained that Ifa divination required knowledge of Yoruba, while the Yoruba derived Ogboni society, was, according to him, “more dangerous than freemasonry.”  In fact he openly stated that after independence, laws would likely be passed, making membership of the ROF compulsory.  He went on to criticize the Western region Chiefs Law No. 20 of 1957 which was being used with effect to intimidate traditional rulers and influence the selection of chiefs and Dukes inside the Midwest.  The Chief also went into additional detail about perceptions of Yoruba domination of the Police, government boards, the public service, and the use of scholarships as a tool for punishing separatist divisions.  The Benin division, for example, had not, under the period of review, received any scholarships, while the Ijebu province (home to Chief Awolowo) had secured 17 such awards.  Another complaint was that Rubber was being developed in the Ijebu province when investment in the promised Ikpoba Rubber processing factory for already established rubber plantations of the Midwest was being help up.  A similar shenanigan affected the Koko port.  He went on to use examples of the decision by the Action Group government to dissolve the Benin Divisional Council in 1955 as an example of arbitrary misuse of power.  In conclusion, Chief Omo-Osagie opposed the new “Welsh-type” arrangement implemented by the Action Group through t he establishment of the “Ministry of Midwest Affairs” and the Midwest Advisory Council, and demanded either the creation of a Midwest region or a return to a unitary government at the center with provinces at the periphery.

Supporting testimony from the Ishan division, where the Action Group had deposed the Onogies of Idoa and Ubiaja was also heard from G. Ebea, A. Ibhazo, Prince Shaka Momodu, and His Royal Highness, Enosegbe II, Enogie of Ewohimi.  Similarly, the Commission heard from the Oba of Agbede who bluntly stated that the Oba of Benin, and not any of the Yoruba Obas, was his Oba.  On their part, Messrs Utomi, Onyia and Odiakosa provided the views of the Asaba division. "

"Among its observations, the commission noted that actual expenditure on road development in the Midwest area up to March 31, 1957, was only 15% of the estimates, compared with 50% in the Yoruba West."

"One of the criticisms of the Western region government was the alleged decision to spend 225,000 pounds in Awolowo’s home province of Ijebu with a population of 383,000, as compared with 169,000 pounds in the Benin province with a population of 624,000"

Free Education was also not an exclusive right of the Yorubas only in the old West. Even a lot of the elites from the ND across the Niger also benefited from the "stingyness" of the West to provide free universal education to all.

And? What does this have to do with the FACT that the Yoruba-AG government was stingy in using Western resources to develop the non-Yoruba parts of the West? I hope you can see how stalling the development of rubber in the non-Yoruba Midwest, the historical rubber center of all of Nigeria, and then going on to develop it in Ijebu is stinginess. Either that or outright prejudice.

So stingy are the Yoruba people!

Viewed historically, the Yoruba-AG controlled government of Obafemi Awolowo was worse than stingy. That is a fact.

It is also a very good sign of greediness not to show grattitude for any good deed at all.

Gratitude for what? Stop this rubbish. Acquaint yourself with history and read up on the Midwest state creation movement. There is nothing to "show gratitude" for.

You are blaming others for displaying the spirit of "na only me", although you yourself are equally guilty.

You can't comprehend that I'm mocking how parasitic minded individuals can call the ND people greedy or selfish but are perfectly fine with the exact same kind of supposed selfishness being displayed by their ethnic group or political region. This is raw, unfettered hypocrisy.

Yes, the railway and the port of Portharcourt was built to ease the easy export of i.e. the minerals of the middle belt. It is in the colonial record. And you should have learnt it too if you went to school in Nigeria some decades back when education was still something in that now corruption ridden land.

No, no, no. I want to see fact showings that Port Harcourt was built WITH or FROM revenues accrued from Northern/Middle Belt materials. That 's a completely different claim and it's what you originally said, not this stuff about WHY Port Harcourt was built, which isn't of any relevance this discussion.

Politically, it was not in the time we are talking about. The political Niger delta is quite a new phenomenon in the politics of Nigeria. You know that very well, dont be a cynics.

I know it extremely well, so how can you say the ND had no palm oil when at least 1/3 of what is now the ND had palm oil and then group Delta out of the ND and back into the West just to say that the modern political ND had no palm oil. That's complete and utter dishonesty and it's kind of disgusting. Just admit that what is now the ND had palm oil the revenues of which contributed to stabilizing the finances of the North and keep quiet instead of performing geo-political acrobatics to justify nonfactual and parasitic reasoning about non-ND resources being used to develop the ND. Fact is, if at any point palm oil from what became Delta state was relevant to paying for the excess costs of the North, then the Niger Delta was necessary to pay the North's bills and allow it to not be heavily in debt before it could even have its groundnut, tin, etc. streak.

A good deed is a good deed no matter how hard you tried to talk it little. Let the parasites go on ego trip, and they might consider doling out more percentage. Commend them and at the same time let them know there is more to be done. Now, that is politics. Learn to be a parasite yourself.

You don't get a leech to admit that he's a leech through flattery though, you confront him about it and make life miserable for him until he can no longer leech.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Ladyrsky46: 8:12pm On Dec 08, 2010
^^^ shocked shocked shocked
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

Exemption was the Midwest ofcourse. And the creation of the Midwest was rather treacherous. The sole aim was to put the West in check back then. And it is quite of note that the Yorubas have never accused the Eastern region and indeed the Midwest of betrayal, even though the SS and especially the SE as they are known now really played an important role in that particular treacherous act.

Of course they've never accused anybody of betrayal. To their credit, they're not silly enough to accuse people who they managed to alienate through their own prejudice (Midwest) or people they were already political rivals and opponents of (East) of treachery or betrayal. It's amazing that you're actually ignorant enough about history to think that you, as a Yoruba, could do so make such an accusation, so I might as well not take you seriously after this.

Prior to 1939 the Benin Province and the Warri Province that made up what would later become the Midwest were completely separate from the Yoruba and had nothing to do with them and the move to regain their previous autonomy from Yorubas after 20 years of being screwed over can only be viewed by anyone with a brain as a return to normalcy. Any interpretation of the Midwest state creation as treachery could only come from some one who was enormously ignorant of history.

Pick up a book and stop getting your history from beer parlors.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 8:38pm On Dec 08, 2010
You don't get a leech to admit that he's a leech through flattery though, you confront him about it and make life miserable for him until he can no longer leech.

If you tell a leech what he already knows, you dont mean he would change his ways do you? If someone leeches you, you leech back. Simple! Let the leech feel how it is to being leeched. Atleast, that how those political animals do it.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 8:58pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

If you tell a leech what he already knows, you dont mean he would change his ways do you? If someone leeches you, you leech back. Simple! Let the leech feel how it is to being leeched. Atleast, that how those political animals do it.

You have nothing worth leeching, hence the Niger Delta is colonised for leeches like you to leech. With the right amounts of shelltox and otapiapia, you will be defeated in the near future.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 8:58pm On Dec 08, 2010
Of course they've never accused anybody of betrayal. To their credit, they're not silly enough to accuse people who they managed to alienate through their own prejudice (Midwest) or people they were already political rivals and opponents of (East) of treachery or betrayal. It's amazing that you're actually ignorant enough about history to think that you, as a Yoruba, could do so make such an accusation, so I might as well not take you seriously after this.

Prior to 1939 the Benin Province and the Warri Province that made up what would later become the Midwest were completely separate from the Yoruba and had nothing to do with them and the move to regain their previous autonomy from Yorubas after 20 years of being screwed over can only be viewed by anyone with a brain as a return to normalcy. Any interpretation of the Midwest state creation as treachery could only come from some one who was enormously ignorant of history.

Pick up a book and stop getting your history from beer parlors.

Abeg oga professor, in what book is it written that both pronvinces were not part of the West? None of the regions in the south were independent of each other. It is only the colony of Lagos that was not part of the the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. When out of the colony and the 2 protectorates of Nigeria the 3 regions and the colony of Lagos through the constitutional amendment were implemented, it was natural that those two pronvinces stay in the West and not the East or North.

As you can see, Benin and the Delta pronvinces have never been independence. If it were so, the oyinbo man would have given you a region outright. The Midwest was a creation of political manouvering to checkmate the West in 1963. Let me ask you this: Why was it only the Midwest that was created out of all the regions agitating for autonomy? Now, it is your turn to go back to read your books very well.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 9:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
Quote from: okooyinbo on Today at 21:38:33

You have nothing worth leeching, hence the Niger Delta is colonised for leeches like you to leech. With the right amounts of shelltox and otapiapia, you will be defeated in the near future.

You hope! Well, when there is hope, there might be life. If there is indeed nothing to leech, you would have gone outright to declare TOTAL war on the leechers. But you aint doing it. I bet you are part of the leech.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 9:07pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

Abeg oga professor, in what book is it written that both pronvinces were not part of the West? None of the regions in the south were independent of each other. It is only the colony of Lagos that was not part of the the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. When out of the colony and the 2 protectorates of Nigeria the 3 regions and the colony of Lagos through the constitutional amendment were implemented, it was natural that those two pronvinces stay in the West and not the East or North.

As you can see, Benin and the Delta pronvinces have never been independence. If it were so, the oyinbo man would have given you a region outright. The Midwest was a creation of political manouvering to checkmate the West in 1963. Let me ask you this: Why was it only the Midwest that was created out of all the regions agitating for autonomy? Now, it is your turn to go back to read your books very well.

We do not appreciate any clowns telling us we have anything to do with the West; we don't and we owe nobody. Period.
If it was part of our history, the struggle for Midwest blotted it out.

If you don't know, the Benin kingdom was the overlord of all of Southern Nigeria, barring the SE, but dunces like you will never read, instead of hard facts you prefer meat seller gist and shameless parasitism.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 9:15pm On Dec 08, 2010

Have you thought about this? If the Midwest was really our cash cow, wouldn't we have whined about it being splitted away from us? Wouldnt we have become poorer? Ironically, we did not weep, and we actually had more resources to go around after the partitioning of the Midwest from the West. Imagine that?
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 9:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

Abeg oga professor, in what book is it written that both pronvinces were not part of the West?

In every credible book on Nigerian history. The Benin and Warri Provinces were not part of the West because the West did not exist until 1939. Prior to that there was just Southern Protectorate, in which these were two of many provinces. Get your facts right.

None of the regions in the south were independent of each other.

Why are you talking of regions? I'm talking about Provinces, which existed for 40 years before anyone colonial ever dreamed up the idea of a Western region.[q

It is only the colony of Lagos that was not part of the the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. When out of the colony and the 2 protectorates of Nigeria the 3 regions and the colony of Lagos through the constitutional amendment were implemented, it was natural that those two pronvinces stay in the West and not the East or North.

It wasn't natural, because prior to that they had in fact had nothing to do with the other Provinces that made up the West for 40 years

As you can see, Benin and the Delta pronvinces have never been independence.

This is just brazenly false. Stop making up stuff. Pick up a book. Warri Province existed in 1900. Western region only existed in 1939.

If it were so, the oyinbo man would have given you a region outright.

The oyinbo man made the three regions in 1939 based on administrative convenience, by their own admission and also didn't care care about ethnicity or previous status of independence when they split the country along the rivers.

The Midwest was a creation of political manouvering to checkmate the West in 1963.

Yup.

Let me ask you this: Why was it only the Midwest that was created out of all the regions agitating for autonomy?

Because the Action Group was weak and could be defeated, period. This question has already been dealt with on a thread on this forum called "Definition of Middle Belt"

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-556755.64.html

Now, it is your turn to go back to read your books very well.

No. It's time to take a break from the beer parlor historical discussions where you obviously get all this nonsense.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 9:20pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

You hope! Well, when there is hope, there might be life. If there is indeed nothing to leech, you would have gone outright to declare TOTAL war on the leechers. But you aint doing it. I bet you are part of the leech.

That day might come and foreign countries who are neutral have naturally had the sense to start preparing for the near inevitable. They have been preparing long before today for the reckoning day of the leeches. That is why the ambassador has made it known where the US stands in no plain terms, he has conveyed a strong message to your likes that the US considers you to be vultures. If the ambassador says the ND is colonised, does it not mean he (and the US) will side with its liberation?
People like you are so busy at your carion festival that you cannot even take the time to inteprete words that are very heavily laden with meaning.

. . .Perhaps the day you ask of is just around the corner, the only problem to the World would be managing 120 million people with neither means nor clue of how to survive without oil. Your chance to be wise is entering its last days if we do not get true federalism and all it entails.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 9:28pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

Have you thought about this? If the Midwest was really our cash cow, wouldn't we have whined about it being splitted away from us? Wouldnt we have become poorer? Ironically, we did not weep, and we actually had more resources to go around after the partitioning of the Midwest from the West. Imagine that?

Who said the Midwest was the West's cash cow? Nobody. And for the record the Yoruba-AG government did lie and moan and spread propaganda and try all sorts of underhanded tactics to try to keep the Midwest in the West. From smear campaigns (against Bini, against Igbo), to deposing traditional monarchs supporting autonomy, to stopping meetings, to outright deception (Awolowo, Sowole motion, etc.), to litigation (Akintola), to sending spies and hired thugs to intimidate people in Ishan and other divisions on the actual voting day.

As for having more resources to go around that's laughable because there were no Benin, Warri, Asaba tax monies to take and use and develop Ibadan infrastructure or Ijebu rubber factories, so that's a clear loss of monetary resources.

Acquaint yourself with

"Benin and the Midwest Referendum" by Nowa Omogui

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui22.htm

And stop asking senseless questions.

I'm done. I've got more important things to do.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 9:31pm On Dec 08, 2010
Quote from: okooyinbo on Today at 21:58:43

We do not appreciate any clowns telling us we have anything to do with the West; we don't and we owe nobody. Period.
If it was part of our history, the struggle for Midwest blotted it out.

If you don't know, the Benin kingdom was the overlord of all of Southern Nigeria, barring the SE, but dunces like you will never read, instead of hard facts you prefer meat seller gist and shameless parasitism.

Beaf, why do you wanna be a beaf for real? None of your facts have been factious. And your trade of abuse has largely been ignored. Please behave. You are making a big fool of yourself. If you like, abuse me till eternity, it will change nothing about the fact. If your evidence have been factual, you wont have resulted into name calling. It is a sign of weakness to trade insults and abuses. I bet your youthful emotional discharge is obscuring your cognitive ability to discuss civily.

Look at him! Benin ko, Binu ni! Whom did your Benin lord it over? Who was paying tribute to Benin? See your large mouth! And small time him go come they talk about fact. Where was Benin when the Portuguese, the French and the English signed treaties with the Kings and Chiefs in Southern Nigeria? Where was Benin when real Armies were fighting in Ilorin, Dahomey, Oshogbo, in Tivland etc.? Oh I forgot, a small British sold  invaded them and the Oba fled. Ahhh, great Benin indeed! Much a beaf about nothing indeed!!!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 10:03pm On Dec 08, 2010
Quote from: okooyinbo on Today at 22:15:06

Who said the Midwest was the West's cash cow? Nobody. And for the record the Yoruba-AG government did lie and moan and spread propaganda and try all sorts of underhanded tactics to try to keep the Midwest in the West. From smear campaigns, to deposing traditional monarchs supporting autonomy, to stopping meetings, to outright deception (Awolowo, Sowole motion, etc.), to litigation (Akintola), to sending spies and hired thugs to intimidate people in Ishan and other divisions on the actual voting day.

As for having more resources to go around that's laughable because there were no Benin, Warri, Asaba tax monies to take and use and develop Ibadan infrastructure or Ijebu rubber factories, so that's a clear loss of monetary resources.

Acquaint yourself with

"Benin and the Midwest Referendum" by Nowa Omogui

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui22.htm

And stop asking senseless questions.

So Nowa is your source? OK! Clap clap clap! Bravo!!!!

You dont mean it do you? So blackmailing and propaganda were the tactics of the AG govt to convince the Midwest? I see! And what Party produced the Premier of that Midwestern region? The NCNC? The NPC? The United Edo Convention Peoples party? Urhobo-Isoko progressive Party of Nigerian Midwest? The Anioma Igbo convention? The National Council of Ijo and Cameroon? Or maybe they rigged that elections too sha.
BTW, how many people were brutalized, murdered, maimed, and how many traditional leaders removed through the thuggery of the AG?

And since the taxes of Benin, Warri, Asaba, and you forgot to mention Sapele were gone, why were the Ijebu factories not grounded to a halt? Why were the whole Industrial complexes in Ikeja, Apapa and Ibadan to name just a few were not a shadow of themselves after the partition of the rich Midwest? Why did a lot of you Midwesterners still ques to farm in the West after you got your freedom? Why?

I believe Edo state is richer than Ondo state, but go look your roads and come look the roads in Ondo state. And the governor upon all his shout is an under performing one for that matter, I mean our governor o. No be say make come misinterpret again say i dey yab Oshi o mo ole.

Summary: Junior, stop that! Daddy does not really enjoy this your unfounded insuniation at all.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Busybody2(f): 10:10pm On Dec 08, 2010
shocked shocked shocked Kai, okooyinbo(post 93) and Physics QED (post 88 & 103), na wah oh shocked e yi o wa poju shocked you wan wound person eyes, chei  shocked shocked shocked Er . . . I have a 25,000 dissertation to hand in to . . . er . . . are you guys game tongue grin
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 10:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

Beaf, why do you wanna be a beaf for real? None of your facts have been factious. And your trade of abuse has largely been ignored. Please behave. You are making a big fool of yourself. If you like, abuse me till eternity, it will change nothing about the fact. If your evidence have been factual, you wont have resulted into name calling. It is a sign of weakness to trade insults and abuses. I bet your youthful emotional discharge is obscuring your cognitive ability to discuss civily.

Look at him! Benin ko, Binu ni! Whom did your Benin lord it over? Who was paying tribute to Benin? See your large mouth! And small time him go come they talk about fact. Where was Benin when the Portuguese, the French and the English signed treaties with the Kings and Chiefs in Southern Nigeria? Where was Benin when real Armies were fighting in Ilorin, Dahomey, Oshogbo, in Tivland etc.? Oh I forgot, a small British sold  invaded them and the Oba fled. Ahhh, great Benin indeed! Much a beaf about nothing indeed!!!

Go to your village and ask about tribute to Benin. You're so stup!d it has't occurred to you that the British invaded Benin because it was the only strong civilisation in the area. The others weren't worth the fight. Why fight ants when its an elephant eating up your harvest?

Dude, check your lineage carefully, there is likely to be blood from somewhere in the Midwest in it. Find out why both the old (Dahomey) and new names of Benin Republic have names traceable to Benin kingdom. Or as usual, your foolishness makes you think it is concidence? Brainless mumu.

And before as usual you go, "hey, you're a Bini guy!," I certainly am not. I just bloody know my history, nothing like your ignorant dugbe meat market version.

If you are a Lagosian, this will surely give a bigot like you sleepless nights; here goes from Fashola's website:

The name Eko was given to it by its first King, Oba Ado during its early history, it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin. Eko was the land area now known as Lagos Island where the king’s palace was built. The Palace is called Iga Idunganran which, translated means Palace built on the pepper farm. Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin as well as some of the indigenous people who sought safety settled down in the Northern part of Eko called “Isale Eko”, Isale literarily meaning bottom, but must have been used to indicate downtown (as in Downtown Lagos).

http://brfashola.org/2010/10/01/history-of-lagos-state/

Dunce.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 10:33pm On Dec 08, 2010
This beaf is just a beaf really! You lost out and you gonna loose it again and again and again, despite the insults and abuse, Much a beaf about nothing,

Do you know the reason the british punitive sold had to be sent to Benin? It was not because Benin was a great empire resisting British rule. It has to do with the barbaric manner they murdered the emmisary of her majesty. Before the punitive expedition went to Benin, Benin was already under British "sphere of influence". It means subjugated! AFYI, great Kings do not flee when they hear battle is coming. They prepare to fight. Not so your GREAT King.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2010
And less I forget, if you check every reputable sources, not Wikipedia where anyone could post their lies as fact, there is absolutely no connection between the modern day Republic du Benin and the old Kingdom of Benin. The same goes for the modern day Ghana and the old Ghana empire.

Check that out and keep the insult coming. The ones junior to you will insult you too insha Allah. Osanobua will make your junior ones abuse you too. Ise!!!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by DapoBear(m): 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2010
Nobody has denied blood connections between Yoruba and Bini, though the two different sides dispute who born who.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 11:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

So Nowa is your source? OK! Clap clap clap! Bravo!!!!

You dont mean it do you? So blackmailing and propaganda were the tactics of the AG govt to convince the Midwest? I see! And what Party produced the Premier of that Midwestern region? The NCNC? The NPC? The United Edo Convention Peoples party? Urhobo-Isoko progressive Party of Nigerian Midwest? The Anioma Igbo convention? The National Council of Ijo and Cameroon? Or maybe they rigged that elections too sha.

Blackmailing and smear campaigns were the tactics of the AG. And the NCNC, which was very strongly supported by ALL groups in the Midwest produced the premier of the Midwest. Dennis Osadebay, who had been leader of the opposition, and who had convinced Delta Igbos to support the creation of the Midwest, was MADE the Premier on a rotational zoning agreement, he was not elected, rather he was occupying the turn of Delta Igbos to produced the premier, after which it would shifted to some other group to prevent Edo/Urhobo domination of the other groups (Ijaw, Itsekiri, Delta Igbo). Other ethnic groups were occupying the other key positions and would also rotate under the agreement.

BTW, how many people were brutalized, murdered, maimed, and how many traditional leaders removed through the thuggery of the AG?

A state of emergency was almost created in the Western region over AG attempts to intimidate the Midwest movement

Meanwhile, back in the Midwest, the NCNC and Action Group were locking horns in increasingly aggressive confrontation between party thugs regarding the alleged misuse by the AG of customary courts and tax assessments to harass political opponents, particularly in Ishan division, where the pro-Midwestern Prince Shaka Momodu was active, but just as much elsewhere [West African Pilot, August 30, 1961].   In the near crisis atmosphere that this created in the Midwest, Michael Okpara and the NCNC wanted the Balewa government to declare a state of emergency in the West, but Balewa resisted the temptation, seeing as it had other problems on its hands such as the controversy over the Anglo-Nigerian defence pact and the Congo controversy.  Balewa also wanted to reach out to the Action Group during this period.

He went on to criticize the[b] Western region Chiefs Law No. 20 of 1957 which was being used with effect to intimidate traditional rulers and influence the selection of chiefs and Dukes inside the Midwest[/b].

Supporting testimony from the Ishan division, [b]where the Action Group had deposed the Onogies of Idoa and Ubiaja was also heard [/b]from G. Ebea, A. Ibhazo, Prince Shaka Momodu, and His Royal Highness, Enosegbe II, Enogie of Ewohimi.

POLLING DAY, July 13th, 1963

[b]In most constituencies – except in the Benin and Asaba divisions - polling went off without major problems.  In Benin City, Mr. C. Akere, a known Action Grouper, reportedly kept coming in and out of the Headquarters of the referendum on Ring Road with complaints, particularly about the unexpected massive turn-out of voters.   On each occasion, Mr. Longe would ask him to bring evidence of malpractice but he had none to show.  

According to Mr. D. A. Omoigui, ADRO for Benin NorthEast (I) there were few Police patrols in his constituency.  The Police stayed put at Ehor without transport, cutting off polling officials in the Eyaen area from any kind of formal security protection.  Many were beaten up or rough-handled by Action Group thugs who even tried to prevent voters from voting.  For example, Mr. H.R.A. Iruegbae, then Presiding Officer at the Ugha Native Authority School Idumwumgha was beaten and his plastic bag seized. When the ADRO went to get Police at Ehor, he found them at Adobadan.  The procession then returned to Idumwungha where for unexplained reasons the Police Officer in Charge, Mr. Izevbizua-Iyamu, refused to arrest the thugs or clear them out of the polling station.  This type of Police behavior was not universal.  At Ehor, for example, another Police officer, one Mr. Omonudo, carried out his security assignments with despatch and seriousness when reports were made to him.   At Orio, a privately hired bodyguard called “Dogo” from Auchi physically threw obstructionists out of the polling station when the Police did not show up.

During counting at the Conference Hall in Benin, a special representative of Chief Akintola who had been sent to “monitor” the counting, was chased out of the Hall by members of the Owegbe society, when it transpired that his name was not on the official list of agents representing the various political parties.[/b]

And since the taxes of Benin, Warri, Asaba, and you forgot to mention Sapele were gone, why were the Ijebu factories not grounded to a halt? Why were the whole Industrial complexes in Ikeja, Apapa and Ibadan to name just a few were not a shadow of themselves after the partition of the rich Midwest? Why did a lot of you Midwesterners still ques to farm in the West after you got your freedom? Why?

Chump, where did I ever say the Midwest was the West's cash cow? I pointed out that there was a clear and direct and undeniable loss of tax money of 20% of the population of the West that could no longer be used almost exclusively on the Yoruba 80%. That must have been why the AG goon's were so desperate to try all sorts of litigation and other bullshit after the referendum was already over to try to keep the Midwest in the West. Loss of 20% cannot sink 80% or cause 80% to stop working and I never implied or insinuated such a thing.

I believe Edo state is richer than Ondo state, but go look your roads and come look the roads in Ondo state. And the governor upon all his shout is an under performing one for that matter, I mean our governor o. No be say make come misinterpret again say i dey yab Oshi o mo ole.

Edo state and Delta state have a higher GDP per capita than EVERY other state that was at one time in the Western region.

Summary: Junior, stop that! Daddy does not really enjoy this your unfounded insuniation at all.

Foolish old man.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 11:29pm On Dec 08, 2010
The Yorubas were reaping the Midwest. Now, it is the Benins that are ripping the Ishans off. I wonder when this whining and gnashing is going to stop. Anyway, the Midwest was a miscalculated political treachery that did not work.

You see, thats how they go about it! I really thought you were a civilised individual. You are a real big disappointment. Why are you all of a sudden being so bitter and vulgar? Where you were right I admitted it, I do not need this fruitless kind of discussion you know. The GDP of Oyo state, a state that is poorly managed, is still bigger than that of Delta despite all the derivation formula. But, that is not the argument here. The point I am trying to hammer home is the poor management of fund in Nigeria as a whole. I said it already, even 1000% resource control would change nothing if the acountability of the leaders are not fought for. I hope you will try not to be typical Nigerian in your future arguements and be more intellectual. I was really impressed until the barbaric side of you took hold of your cognition. It is a pity that people have to result to insult to make a point. Well, I wish you all the best of luck nonetheless.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 12:15am On Dec 09, 2010
okooyinbo:

And less I forget, if you check every reputable sources, not Wikipedia where anyone could post their lies as fact, there is absolutely no connection between the modern day Republic du Benin and the old Kingdom of Benin. The same goes for the modern day Ghana and the old Ghana empire.

Check that out and keep the insult coming. The ones junior to you will insult you too insha Allah. Osanobua will make your junior ones abuse you too. Ise!!!

Stop being daft man! You mean you aren't a teenager. Holy crap!
Dude, how can you be advanced in age and come up with all the bigoted, ignorant rubbish you've been talking? shocked
Na wa for some old men sha! Damn! Do you drink? Cos that might be the real problem.

You really need prayer and may your curse return to you.

As for Republic of Benin, take yourself to the Oba's palace and ask for General Isi Dahomen. You will be lectured about his history and pointed to his descendants who still bear the name, Isi Dahomen. To you, thats Dahomey, but I don't want to waste time schooling and ignorant old toad. Go find things out for yourself.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 12:36am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Nobody has denied blood connections between Yoruba and Bini, though the two different sides dispute who born who.

That is pretty easy to sort. I will always believe the one who gives me exact dates for events thousands of years in the past, and I mean exact dates. I will also believe those who can provide me with vivid detail, exact locations, illnesses, days of the week etc when events occurred in history. In the same vein, I will dismiss any tales of people falling from the sky as a fairytale.

"Who born who" is very easy to find out. Funny thing is that the Ijo people recount a story that is almost an exact match to the Benin. Lets be reminded that the Ijo are Nigeria's only indigenous people (they know all who have come and gone). They are the only ethnicity I know with a supremely detailed grasp of history like the Edo.
"Who born who" no hard at all! cheesy
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by amazonia(m): 12:38am On Dec 09, 2010
okooyinbo:

You are wrong, i have been privileged to talk with some Brazilian of Portuguese descent.
I was surprised when they told me they were Benin.
Upon further inquiring i found out how.
Their community in Brazil is called Benin too. And they equally have a community in Portugal with the same name.
They acquired their Benin identity from their ancestral Africa experience.
According to them their fore-fathers who were born and raised in 'The Benin Empire had to
leave the region after the war of Spain/Portugal and allies vs British/France/germany and their allies.
Following the treaty and the subsequent seceding of the region. They migrated to Portugal and later
went to Brazil. Till today they still called themselves Benin.

The Portuguese's met a thriving Benin Empire when they arrived.
And grew bigger with their alliance. And they left it as Benin Empire.
The arrival of the British, or their victory in war against portgal which
Benin was allied to, led to the marginalization of Benin the British
colonial scheme of things. We had 411years of relationship with Portugal
And only about 150 years to date of allying with Britain.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by DapoBear(m): 12:55am On Dec 09, 2010
Beaf:

That is pretty easy to sort. I will always believe the one who gives me exact dates for events thousands of years in the past, and I mean exact dates. I will also believe those who can provide me with vivid detail, exact locations, illnesses, days of the week etc when events occurred in history. In the same vein, I will dismiss any tales of people falling from the sky as a fairytale.
Err, the sky story is different from the Eastern origin one. Anthropologists I believe have studied this issue and believe the Eastern hypothesis for Oduduwa, if I'm not mistaken. Binis seems to believe that "East" means Benin, while a lot of others instead believe it means somewhere in the Middle East or Sudan.

In any case, it seems implausible that any source is going to provide exact details about something that happened so far ago. At the end of the day, it is just stories handed down from generation to the next.

"Who born who" is very easy to find out. Funny thing is that the Ijo people recount a story that is almost an exact match to the Benin.
I don't see how this is evidence of the accuracy of either story, one way or another.

Lets be reminded that the Ijo are Nigeria's only indigenous people (they know all who have come and gone).
What does this even mean? How does one determine who was indigenous and who was not? What is the threshold of time, for example? 500, 1k, 10K years? And how does the very likely numerous waves of immigations and conquest of Nigeria (e.g., Oduduwa over the group of people he founded, the Hausa origin tales, etc) jibe with indigeneity? This seems quite nebulous.

They are the only ethnicity I know with a supremely detailed grasp of history like the Edo.
"Who born who" no hard at all!
A detailed grasp of history, without a writing system? Haba! Let us then ask the Native Americans about what North America was like 500AD, rather than using archeology and science to understand the situation at that time  tongue

After all, they too are indigenousness and no doubt fully recall that time period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kogi: PDP Overrules FG, Returns Wada As Gov / Taraba Deputy Governor Empowered As Acting Governor / Just In: Buhari Shocks Oshiomole, Endorse His Removal As APC National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 209
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.