Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? (80369 Views)

Pastor Ibiyeomie Donates A Public School In Rivers (Pictures) / My Teaching Experience As A Corper/pyschologist In A Public And Private School. / Can I Transfer From A Private University To A Public Or State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Olas16198901: 4:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
NIGERIA problem will not let you remember what you learn in school again
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Legendguru: 5:13pm On Jan 18, 2020
They are both government servants
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Dashmino: 5:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
hennyholla17:
a civil servant can be defined as a bureaucrat hired by the government to work for the public sector. Public servant, on the other hand, is an elected or appointed member of the government for social or public services. We learn everyday day.

Well said. In addition, all civil servants are public servants too while public servants are not civil servants but just public servants.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by freeeeme(m): 6:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Public pocket big pass civil. Final answer!
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Irore: 7:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
Halimvh:
I'll answer your question later, hold on.

Civil servants are employees in the civil service. The civil service is a collective term for a sector of government composed mainly of career bureaucrats hired on professional merit rather than appointed or elected, whose institutional tenure typically survives transitions of political leadership.

Public servants on the other hand, have different meanings. In Australia for example, the phrases ‘civil servants’ and ‘public servants’ are used interchangeably. Furthermore, in a country like Nigeria, Public Servants are usually political appointees or politically elected officials with short-tenured appointment. Hence, Presidents, Governors, Ministers can be referred to as PUBLIC SERVANTS.

I prefer this straight forward answer.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jan 18, 2020
Irore:

I prefer this straight forward answer.

Thank you.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by ameen9ja: 10:21pm On Jan 18, 2020
i think the two are synonymous
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Nikkiminaj: 10:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
I am Here to Learn
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by KLand(m): 12:02am On Jan 19, 2020
All civil servants are public servants but not all public servants are civil servants.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by eddyroyal(m): 5:07am On Jan 19, 2020
fatymore:
I was taught this in secondary in the year 2006 grin

Civil Servant: State
Public Servant: Federal Government Parastatals
Go back and collect your school fees my dear, you were taught rubbish!.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by eddyroyal(m): 5:11am On Jan 19, 2020
miketayo:

lolzz who told u this..
it was changed from civil to public servant. they are both the same thing
when was it change?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by eddyroyal(m): 5:24am On Jan 19, 2020
Enyimbamercedes:
You asked a question and attached the answer under it! What other concise difference do you want?

A civil servant is an employee of the government i.e working in the Federal Civil Service

A public servant is anyone who serves the public and is an employee of the people. President, Governors, Legislators etc... ideally

In Nigeria however, public servants lord over their employers and have seized power from the people.

Not just federal civil service but State civil service as well.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by fatymore(f): 8:29am On Jan 19, 2020
eddyroyal:
Go back and collect your school fees my dear, you were taught rubbish!.
thank you Sir
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Hassanmaye(m): 4:22pm On Nov 04, 2023
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by yaseer111: 6:32am On Nov 05, 2023
Hassanmaye:

Remove this sharply
shege

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / KSU Bike Man Caught Having Sex With Mad Woman (photo) / Buhari Approves Establishment Of 6 New Federal Colleges Of Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.