Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,068 members, 7,821,672 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Saraki An Egba Man? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki An Egba Man? (6215 Views)

Plot To Remove Saraki An Exercise In Futility, Says APC Chieftain / Buhari And Saraki, An Ideal Complement / Bukola Saraki: An Unwanted Menace In Kwara State -mr.rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by Jarus(m): 4:11pm On Dec 08, 2010
johnie:

I DEY LAFF O! grin grin grin grin

Me too dey laugh o  grin

Abeg who will help me translate my post in Hausa to him? who will help explain the difference between 'region' and 'tribe' to him in Hausa?
Who will help ask him in Hausa that 'was Sunday Awoniyi not a Northerner, and Chairman on AREWA consultative forum?
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by jason12345: 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2010
Jarus:

Me too dey laugh o  grin

Abeg who will help me translate my post in Hausa to him? who will help explain the difference between 'region' and 'tribe' to him in Hausa?
Who will help ask him in Hausa that 'was Sunday Awoniyi not a Northerner, and Chairman on AREWA consultative forum?

we all dey laugh ooo!! grin
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by aljharem(m): 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2010
Jarus:

Me too dey laugh o  grin

Who will help ask him in Hausa that 'was Sunday Awoniyi not a Northerner, and Chairman on [b]AREWA consultative forum?
[/b]

i ask why would a yoruba man become the chairman of arewa,,,,,,why,,,,,,,,,,why,,,,,,,,whhyyyyy angry angry angry angry angry

is he a northerner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,answer=NO

but yet he is ruling us

how can someone that knows nothing about the north be the one ruling the north

i tell u yorubas are the ones ruling nigeria

how can u explain sunday awoniyi ruling northerns

has any northerner rule afenifere , yce or opc before angry angry angry angry

sometime i think some of our northern leaders are dumb or blind to see this things i see

even in SW universities no northerners has been the student president not to talk of leader

even in kwara or kogi have northerners been treated well there,,,,,answer is no

jarus pls can u explain why no northerner has been the leader of any yoruba organisation angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry tongue tongue
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by Jarus(m): 4:35pm On Dec 08, 2010
I give up.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by tpia1: 4:43pm On Dec 08, 2010
al harem can you stop generalizing plz.

i take it your railing is a political one, because most yorubas have no idea what you're talking about, i'm sure.

even though your grouse is with jarus, you keep shouting yoruba this yoruba that. undecided

even in kwara or kogi have northerners been treated well there,,,,,answer is no

kwara and kogi arent wholly yoruba states. Give specific examples of the regions and incidents you're referring to, if possible.

as per hausa leading a yoruba organization- just because you dont know of any doesnt mean there are none.

there are a lot of assimilated hausas in the south, and vice versa.

most hausas in the south are into trade, so that's the first place you should look, imo.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by seanet02: 7:30pm On Dec 08, 2010
@jarus, can you prove how kwarans are hausas or Northerners?
Dont try to tell me an old wifes tale
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by DapoBear(m): 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2010
alj harem is easily one of my favorite posters on this board grin Dude is awesome.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by aljharem(m): 2:29am On Dec 09, 2010
Jarus:

I give up.

pls do not give up because i am saying the truth

why give u now after i say u are not a northerner

talk to me angry angry angry angry i need u to talk to me angry angry angry angry

pls talk too meeeee angry angry angryeee angry angry angry angryee
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by isalegan2: 2:45am On Dec 09, 2010
Katsumoto:

Read Samuel Johnson's 'History of the Yorubas' and a book by Professor Akin-jogbin; I can't remember the title now.

Great book. No Yoruba history anthology is complete without it.

P.S. Correction - Got the above confused with "The Kingdoms of the Yoruba," by Robert Smith.  Haven't read Johnson's book.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by DapoBear(m): 2:54am On Dec 09, 2010
The book is great, yes. Yoruba history is so exciting and interesting. But very sad sometimes.

I sort of want to use it as source for a science fiction novel, lol. If you take the basic stories, expound on them and set them in space, it would be such a winner.

Orson Scott Card (a Mormon author) did something similar with the Book of Mormon. It was only afterwards that I found out that it was his reinterpretation/rendition of a religious text.

If you did this with Yoruba history (and were a good writer), you could probably get a NY Times best seller.

Shango, Oduduwa, Moremi, Afonja, the series of wicked Yoruba kings, the various Yoruba wars, the founding of Ibadan. . .

Really some great stuff. Too bad I'm not a writer.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by strangerf: 5:38am On Dec 09, 2010
isale_gan2:

Great book. No Yoruba history anthology is complete without it.

Not really.

The book gave the Ibadan-centric version of Yoruba history; moreso, it was written by a lay historian.

The guy has nothing to back up some of his claims.

I'd read the book with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by DapoBear(m): 5:44am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

The book gave the Ibadan-centric version of Yoruba history; moreso, it was written by a lay historian.
True and true.

Not quite true, there are some other anthropologists and historians who have checked up on some of these claims. Check on JSTOR.

Nothing wrong with that; you should do that with any sort of text like this.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by oludashmi(f): 9:01am On Dec 09, 2010
Jarus:

Me too dey laugh o grin

@Jarus
You and alj harem are saying the same thing but you are mis-interpreting each other. . .he is looking at the ethnic and cultural stand while you are looking at the geographical stand.

He is obviously saying that he refuse to admit/recognise any yoruba to the north and middle belt (Kwara and Kogi) irrespective of the position they hold among northerners because they are just there for Nigeria's geographical reasons.

Hope that is clarified. . .no argument.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by Katsumoto: 9:38am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

Not really.

DapoBear:

True and true.
Not quite true, there are some other anthropologists and historians who have checked up on some of these claims. Check on JSTOR.
Nothing wrong with that; you should do that with any sort of text like this.

Then you need to read Professor Akinjogbin's 'Milestones and Social Systems in Yoruba History and Culture'. This book corroborates Johnson's book. Another good book is R. Lawrence's 'The Oyo Empire', though not as detailed as the other two books. Other good accounts include J.F. Ade Ajayi and R. Smith: Yoruba Warfare and Professor Bolanle Awe: Oxford Ph.D. thesis (1964) - "The Rise of the Ibadan Empire". These are all very good references; if you have the time.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by Akanbiedu(m): 12:41pm On Dec 09, 2010
@ Jarus

I just dey pity you.

Don't argue with a fool, he will just drag you to his level and then defeat you there.

@Alj Harem

You are big disgrace to Ahmadu Bello. Do you think the Yorubas in Kwara are begging you to be part of them? Ask Becomerich to show you how small you north will be if we use your definition. I don't have time to handle your case now sha.

Eni a nwa sunje, to tun fi epo para, o tun joko segbe ina
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by aljharem(m): 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

@ Jarus

I just dey pity you.

Don't argue with a fool, he will just drag you to his level and then defeat you there.

@Alj Harem

You are big disgrace to Ahmadu Bello. Do you think the Yorubas in Kwara are begging you to be part of them? Ask Becomerich to show you how small you north will be if we use your definition. I don't have time to handle your case now sha.

Eni a nwa sunje, to tun fi epo para, o tun joko segbe ina

u are the big disgrace yorubaas mumu

so u want to be northerners by force and yet u do not act like true muslims in any form

mumu angry angry angry
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by strangerf: 4:58pm On Dec 09, 2010
Aboki Harem

Let them hear it from you

Dont back down to all these Yoruba goons ok?
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by safariman(m): 7:02pm On Dec 09, 2010
Ilorin sounds like a Yoruba sounding name
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by Pukkah: 3:44pm On Dec 10, 2010
safariman:

Ilorin sounds like a Yoruba sounding name

Ilorin is a Yoruba name.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by aljharem(m): 3:52pm On Dec 10, 2010
Pukkah:

Ilorin is a Yoruba name.

gbam thank u

si how is that a northerner state
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by strangerf: 3:54pm On Dec 10, 2010
Borno is a Yoruba name too.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by aljharem(m): 4:15pm On Dec 10, 2010
strangerf:

how angry angry angry angry
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by Pukkah: 4:40pm On Dec 10, 2010
strangerf:

Kindly tell what the meaning is in Yoruba. Thanks.
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by strangerf: 4:44pm On Dec 10, 2010
It means oponu
Re: Saraki An Egba Man? by isalegan2: 4:50pm On Dec 12, 2010
Katsumoto:

Then you need to read Professor Akinjogbin's 'Milestones and Social Systems in Yoruba History and Culture'. This book corroborates Johnson's book. Another good book is R. Lawrence's 'The Oyo Empire', though not as detailed as the other two books. Other good accounts include J.F. Ade Ajayi and R. Smith: Yoruba Warfare and Professor Bolanle Awe: Oxford Ph.D. thesis (1964) - "The Rise of the Ibadan Empire". These are all very good references; if you have the time.

I've started to peruse books by A.B. Ellis. He wrote a number of historical accounts in the 1890s on Africa. I'm finishing one called "The Yoruba-Speaking Peoples of West Africa." I'd like feedback if you have an opinion of him. Thanks.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/yor/index.htm

http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006576980

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Negotiate With Boko Haram, Us, Eu Warn Fg / Oshiomhole Pardons Two Prisoners Condemned To Death / Nigerian Army Confirms Troops Fled Mubi; Investigation Now Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.