Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,458 members, 7,836,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? (310 Views)

Read About The Supreme Court As A Policy Making Institution / Ebonyi Accident : Photos From The Ugly Incident That Claimed 32 Lives / The 2019 Policy Of A Sincere Leader To Be Voted For By Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? by Tomman: 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2020
Has anyone else noticed this trend during the past two decades. Have you noticed that local Nigerian film producers seem to be always going out of their way to hire handsome men for acting roles, but when it comes to the women they usually hire ordinary looking or ugly ones? They clearly do not apply the same criterion of good/gorgeous looks when it comes to hiring female actors. They only apply it to males. Why the hell are they doing this?

This angers the hell out of me. Is the Nigerian movie industry now being run by homosexual men nowadays? As a man, I prefer to see beautiful Nigerian women on screen. I am not interested in seeing beautiful men; I am not gay.

I noticed that this behavior started during the 2000's. Before 2000, Nigerian films usually focused on hiring beautiful women for acting roles, as is normal around the world. They began this ridiculous behavior of focusing on hiring handsome men and deliberately hiring plain or ugly women during the 2000s after Nigeria started to become mentally colonized by America and they began to absorb, internalize and replicate American media racism against black people. And they're doing it against themselves. How do I know this? The American media constantly glorifies white women by promoting their most beautiful ones as much as possible while, at the same time, denigrating black women by usually portraying them in the opposite way. In fact, the American media would much rather show a handsome black guy than show a beautiful black woman because they know that beauty is far more important for females. Male value is mostly measured by social status, not beauty.

Now Nigerians have internalized this racism against themselves without even knowing it and the Nigerian film industry is busy promoting ugly women in their movies instead of showing the world our most beautiful women. They are more concerned with showing handsome men as if it has any relevance to anything, and as if the men running the industry are gay.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with these people, could you please ask them to stop this nonsense and go back to the natural thing that they used to do of hiring beautiful actresses? Please tell these idiots that people are more interested in seeing beautiful women than beautiful men. If they like, they can show both. But, for god's sake, return back to giving us gorgeous Nigerian actresses.
Re: Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? by Charleys: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2020
Because it is hard to find a beautiful woman that will act like a prostitute in their movie.

But the question is why are some people always insulting their parents in a Nollywood movie.

Why are others always beating their wives in a Nollywood movie.
Re: Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? by donbachi(m): 4:41pm On Jan 20, 2020
Na who ugly dey act as devil...and all our women roles na evil roles.
Re: Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? by nlPoster: 5:55pm On Jan 20, 2020
The American media showcases beautiful black women, what are you talking about?

As per Nollywood, most of the women I've seen are good looking but their roles tend to be odd and unordinary.
Re: Why Does Nollywood Have A Policy Of Hiring Handsome Men And Ugly Women? by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:57am On Jan 21, 2020
...because they dont care about beautiful actresses OR whether they can act or not, they ONLY need actresses with big tittays and nyansh.

(1) (Reply)

It's Not Easy Being A Guy / Mr Uche Orji Of Presidential Infrastructural Development Fund Withholds $100bn. / Top News Websites In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.