Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,546 members, 7,823,396 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Why Igbos Can't Really Claim One Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igbos Can't Really Claim One Nigeria (418 Views)

Proof That Igbos Can't Stay Without Electricity, World Picture At Night. / No, Only Igbos Can't Give Peter Obi These Many Votes (Pix) / Congratulations PMB! Igbos Can't Fault Your Re-election. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Igbos Can't Really Claim One Nigeria by supercase1(m): 4:27pm On Jan 20, 2020
igbos had been traumatised,stimatised by a country that they ought to call their own this is the to the fact that certain fanatics in govt hijacked had directlydand indirectly denied them their fundamental human rights the heighthofothese was during the civil war here is what renowned nigerian nobel laureaute wole soyinka have to say on this issue when interviewed in 2012.
Well, Soyinka has finally spoken his mind and, interestingly, he agrees with Achebe that Biafrans, the bulk of whom were Igbos, were victims of genocide during the war.
In an interview he granted Britain’s authoritative Telegraph, the Nobel Prize winner described Biafrans as “people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own.”
In the interview published last Friday, the interviewer Peter Godwin asked: “Professor Soyinka, you’re not an ivory-tower kind of writer. You are not a stranger to danger, and in fact you’ve been imprisoned on at least two occasions, once in solitary confinement. Can you tell me what that was like?”
Soyinka’s reply: “Writing in certain environments carries with it an occupational risk. When I was imprisoned, without trial, it was as a result of a position I took as a citizen. Of course I used my weapon, which was writing, to express my disapproval of the (Biafran) civil war into which we were about to enter. These were people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own. Unfortunately, the nature of my imprisonment meant that I couldn’t practise my trade because I was in solitary confinement for 22 months out of the 27, and I was deprived of writing material. So I had to somehow break through the barriers, smuggle in toilet paper, cigarette paper, scribble a few poems, pass messages outside. I was able to undertake exercises to make sure that I emerged from prison intact mentally.”
The interview, which centred of Soyinka’s speech delivered last week at the Hay Festival in Mexico, was entitled “If religion was taken away I’d be happy”. In it, Soyinka condemned religious militancy and declared that now is the time to tackle Boko Haram, the Islamic militants who have been fomenting trouble in Nigeria.
News Express recalls that Prof. Achebe in his war memoirs subtitled ‘A Personal History of Biafra’ accused wartime Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gown and his Vice-Chairman and Finance Minister, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, of carrying out genocide against Igbos. The claim has been generating a lot of controversy, with many Yoruba commentators accusing Achebe of twisting history.
Re: Why Igbos Can't Really Claim One Nigeria by javaguru: 4:42pm On Jan 20, 2020
News Express recalls that Prof. Achebe in his war memoirs subtitled ‘A Personal History of Biafra’ accused wartime Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gown and his Vice-Chairman and Finance Minister, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, of carrying out genocide against Igbos. The claim has been generating a lot of controversy, with many Yoruba commentators accusing Achebe of twisting history.
how did Achebe twist history. Me I want Independence, this country is expired, we were never 1, an aboki in my area said" soon he will bring his cow into my room and I will not do anything" what a glorious insult.
Re: Why Igbos Can't Really Claim One Nigeria by StaffofOrayan(m): 4:47pm On Jan 20, 2020
Nigerian is a dream
But you have to be asleep to dream
And sleep is the cousin of death

(1) (Reply)

Does Yemi Osinbajo,support Operation Amotekun / - / An Open Letter To The Governor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.