Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,883 members, 7,862,993 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 10:21 AM

EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! (715 Views)

When You 'Eat' Bribe And EFCC Finally Catches You (Funny Cartoon)! / Just In: Efcc Finally Docks Raymond Dokpesi (photo) / Halliburton May Pay $500m To Avert Cheney’s Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria files bribery charges against D. Cheney [/size]

Nigeria has filed charges against former US Vice-President D. Cheney over a scandal involving a former subsidiary of Halliburton energy firm.

The case, brought by the country's anti-corruption agency, centres on engineering firm KBR, which admitted bribing officials.

Mr Cheney's lawyer has called the allegations "entirely baseless".

Mr Cheney was Halliburton's chief executive before becoming vice-president to George W Bush in 2001.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it had filed 16 charges against Mr Cheney, Halliburton Chief Executive David Lesar, and two other executives.

It also filed charges against Halliburton as a company and four associated businesses.

KBR last year pleaded guilty to paying $180m (£115m) in bribes to Nigerian officials prior to 2007, when it was a subsidiary of Halliburton. The firm agreed to pay $579m (£372m) in fines related to the case in the US.

But Nigeria, along with France and Switzerland, has conducted its own investigations into the case.

Mr Cheney's lawyer, Terence O'Donnell, said US investigators had "found no suggestion of any impropriety by D. Cheney in his role of CEO of Halliburton".

"Any suggestion of misconduct on his part, made now, years later, is entirely baseless," Mr O'Donnell said.

Office raid

The bribes concerned the construction of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant in southern Nigeria.

KBR and Halliburton have now split, and Halliburton says it is not connected with the case against KBR.

Halliburton denies involvement in the allegations.

It has complained that a raid on its office last month by EFCC officials was "an affront against justice".

Nigeria is a member of the oil cartel Opec and is one of the world's biggest oil exporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11943192
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 8:27pm On Dec 07, 2010
. . .And not taking the diplomatic slight lightly, a few days later the US charges Atiku for money laundering. . .
Ex-VP for ex-VP = 1 - 1. Draw!
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nsiman(m): 9:51pm On Dec 07, 2010
@ beaf, exactly
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by wesley80(m): 10:17pm On Dec 07, 2010
Not sure about what an ineffective EFCC is trying to prove by charging a US ex VP. I hope the speed with which this case would probably be dismissed wont end up bringing international ridicule on an already locally over maligned GEJ government. There's enough reason to suspect madam Waziri's motives.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 07, 2010
wesley80:

Not sure about what an ineffective EFCC is trying to prove by charging a US ex VP. I hope the speed with which this case would probably be dismissed wont end up bringing international ridicule on an already locally over maligned GEJ government. There's enough reason to suspect madam Waziri's motives.
This is my problem with some of you that don't know how international relations work and when you hear US,you begin to shiver.
Nigeria is a sovereign state and have every control over her affair based on her needs and interest without any fear of formal political surbordination from other states.if it has been established that di-ck cheney committed an offence in Nigeria and the government seek to pursue his prosecution,then the Nigeria government will apply for his extradition .
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Boboribo: 11:03pm On Dec 07, 2010
If you think its only when you embarrass the US by arranging a fake trial of D. Chiney that America will wake up and help you try Atiku, you must be joking. If you haven't got he balls to try Atiku yourself for alleged money laundering, dont expect the US to do it for you. Beaf has been watching too much BEN10 and Barney films and just wont grow up on this Atiku matter.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by wesley80(m): 11:23pm On Dec 07, 2010
@Bluetooth,
And this is my problem with folks like u dat act like u know everything when actually your every sentence is a credit to ignorance. So really u know much about international relations ? Pls wats happening to mr Assange? In which countries is he being hunted? Why would a country suddenly issue an internatnl arrest warrant for 'se.xual assault'? In whose interest are these developments? Or r u assuming Sweden and Uk are not Sovereign? My friend sovereingty only begins where interest ends, the US and every powerful nation would put their interest first b4 your sovereignty so pls dont give me dat crap abt Ngr being sovereign as a basis 4 anythin.
Secondly do u really think the US would be glad 2 have a 3rd world country make a criminal out of its one time VP? Of course I know national pride is an alien term to Nigerians considering how synonymous we are 2 all d negative stuff, but do u really think a US that went to war to secure its economic interest would stand and watch one of its most respected Republicans ridiculed in Ngr for doing what every Republican thinks is right? So u really think the US would have us prove that they elected a corrupt officer into office for 8yrs abi? Sori but I see nothing but ridicule at d end of this.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by IbroYaya: 11:49pm On Dec 07, 2010
Beaf:

. . .And not taking the diplomatic slight lightly, a few days later the US charges Atiku for money laundering. . .
Ex-VP for ex-VP = 1 - 1. Draw!
Correct!!!
We give them Atiku they give us D. Cheney. grin grin grin
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by SapeleGuy: 11:58pm On Dec 07, 2010
When are they going to up the ante and start indicting former presidents, who knows they might even indict sitting presidents - the plot thickens
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 08, 2010
wesley80:

@Bluetooth,
And this is my problem with folks like u dat act like u know everything when actually your every sentence is a credit to ignorance. So really u know much about international relations ? Pls wats happening to mr Assange? In which countries is he being hunted? Why would a country suddenly issue an internatnl arrest warrant for 'se.xual assault'? In whose interest are these developments? Or r u assuming Sweden and Uk are not Sovereign? My friend sovereingty only begins where interest ends, the US and every powerful nation would put their interest first b4 your sovereignty so pls dont give me dat crap abt Ngr being sovereign as a basis 4 anythin.
Secondly do u really think the US  would be glad 2 have a 3rd world country make a criminal out of its one time VP? Of course I know national pride is an alien term to Nigerians considering how synonymous we are 2 all d negative stuff, but do u really think a US that went to war to secure its economic interest would stand and watch one of its most respected Republicans ridiculed in Ngr for doing what every Republican thinks is right? So u really think the US would have us prove that they elected a corrupt officer into office for 8yrs abi? Sori but I see nothing but ridicule at d end of this.
You have no point,just trying to please me with your long story.Tell me any international law that says Nigeria cannot prosecute di-ck cheney because he happens to be a former US president ? fyi,any attempt by US government to block his extradition will only lead to strain relationship if we truly want him prosecuted.Stop all these inferiority complex induced comments
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nsiman(m): 12:23am On Dec 08, 2010
Atiku boys will not sleep just because their oga may soon be hunted for trial in the US over money ($6b) laundering charges
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nsiman(m): 12:23am On Dec 08, 2010
Atiku boys will not sleep just because their oga may soon be hunted for trial in the US over money ($6b) laundering charges
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by oge4real(f): 2:19am On Dec 08, 2010
This would have made sense if Dick would be convicted or even found guilty in Nigeria.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by wesley80(m): 3:19am On Dec 08, 2010
@Bluetooth, Please stop displaying your naivety. Going by your reasoning we should be expecting Cheney in Naija in the coming days abi? I bet He's being rounded up as we speak by the FBI. My friend just laugh at yourself for fantasizing that much.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 7:07am On Dec 08, 2010
I wonder why some of us are scared of US reactions? There was more than enough warning of what was about to happen, yet the US said nothing, no part of their press reported an affront, no diplomats were summoned. Now, the charges have been filed and there is still a deafening silence from the US. The best we have heard is a few lame words from his lawyer, protesting Cheney's innocence. I wonder why?

If you ask me, Cheney is likely to give evidence by phone or videophone. He will be very very loudly exonerated, but during the process (since no one is too big) other US voices in the know will reveal inner workings, names, times and places. . . Bingo! grin
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 08, 2010
wesley80:

@Bluetooth,[s] Please stop displaying your naivety. Going by your reasoning we should be expecting Cheney in Naija in the coming days abi?[/s] I bet He's being rounded up as we speak by the FBI. My friend just laugh at yourself for fantasizing that much.

You are neither the government or a non-state actor here,yet, you are thinking like a child.I won't be mad at you much cuz your reasoning is just like the normal Nigeria politics but in international politics,it doesnt work that way.I asked you to show me a law that said we can't extradite him and you come with non ?
Nigeria has every right to prosecute to di-ck cheney
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Kobojunkie: 7:31am On Dec 08, 2010
Does anyone even know what exactly Mr Cheney is being Charged with? We read of 16 Charges, which are?
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 7:38am On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Does anyone even know what exactly Mr Cheney is being Charged with? We read of 16 Charges, which are?

And who do you think is here to teach you?
Daft.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 08, 2010
Beaf:

And who do you think is here to teach you?
Daft.
She's trying to build a dummy defence for him. Abeg ignore her !
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Kobojunkie: 7:50am On Dec 08, 2010
LOL . . . You know a simple “I don’t know” will suffice.  undecided
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by stranger: 7:58am On Dec 08, 2010
CRAZY KOBOJUNKIE IS IN THE HOUSE: PATIENTLY WAITING FOR HER TO DERAIL THE THREAD WITH HER NONSENSICAL ARGUMENTS

PS: FOR SANITY SAKE, PLEASE IGNORE KOBOJUNKIE
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 08, 2010
You should have used google instead of coming across with your typical ignorance.
Kobojunkie:

LOL . . . You know a simple “I don’t know” will suffice.  undecided
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Kobojunkie: 8:03am On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Anyone with information please post for all those of us who have no idea and are willing to admit it . Thanks in advance!
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 8:08am On Dec 08, 2010
When will EFCC see to the logical conclusion of all the numerous litigations it has instituted. Its like dis organisation starts up what it rly cnt finish. Very sn,we wnt hear a word again from EFCC abt dis issue & suddenly another breaking news comes up and we start analysing and delibrating on it as usual, those for and those against,after a few noise here and there,d case dies a natural death at most u hear of plead bagaining which is nw a word most used by EFCC.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 8:10am On Dec 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

You should have used google instead of coming across with your typical ignorance.

Exactly!

The case is before a court, so any educated person can get hold of the charges if they want, instead of asking elementary questions.
In any event, how many are lawyers here to deal authoritatively with charge sheets? And how many are so presumptuous that they can tackle court cases better than the full coterie of law courts, juries, prosecution and defence lawyers and a judge?

. . .Even more puzzling, kobojunkie who asking the daft question is a Web Developer, and so just playing the fool.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Kobojunkie: 8:11am On Dec 08, 2010
byrron:

When will EFCC see to the logical conclusion of all the numerous litigations it has instituted. Its like dis organisation starts up what it rly cnt finish. Very sn,we wnt hear a word again from EFCC abt dis issue & suddenly another breaking news comes up and we start analysing and delibrating on it as usual, those for and those against,after a few noise here and there,d case dies a natural death at most u hear of plead bagaining which is nw a word most used by EFCC.

Welcome to law and order, EFCC style!!
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 8:48am On Dec 08, 2010
From the Wall Street Journal:

Last week, Cheney’s lawyer Terrence O’Donnell called the Nigerian charges “entirely baseless.”

Peter Long, a Cheney spokesman, did not immediately respond to a request for new comment. Halliburton denied involvement in the project in an email last week, saying “none of the Halliburton employees have ever had any connection to or participation in that project.”

The charges are connected to an investigation into alleged $180 million in bribes from 1994 to 2004 to Nigerian government officials for $6 billion in contracts with Nigeria LNG Ltd., whose largest shareholder is the state-owned petroleum company, to build liquefied natural gas facilities on Bonny Island, off the country’s southern coast.

Technip SA, Snamprogetti SpA and KBR, which was formerly owned by Cheney’s Halliburton Co., along with Japan-based JGC Corp., formed a joint venture called TSKJ to bid for the contracts. TSKJ as well as former Snamprogetti owner Eni SpA were named in the charging document Tuesday.

Bloomberg reported Tuesday morning that Technip, Eni and JGC are in talks with Nigerian prosecutors to settle the charges.

Update: “No one on KBR’s current executive team was involved in the FCPA violations. KBR in no way condones or tolerates illegal or unethical behavior. Conducting our business with the utmost integrity is at the core of the work we perform each day,” said Heather Browne, a KBR spokeswoman, in a statement Tuesday. “The actions of the Nigerian government suggest that its officials are wildly and wrongly asserting blame in this matter.”

U.S. regulators collected $1.28 billion in penalties and criminal fines in the Bonny Island case after settling charges of violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, a 1977 law that bans the bribery of foreign officials to obtain business. A former London-based consultant to KBR pleaded guilty Monday to conspiring to violate the FCPA.

A statement from the Nigerian anti-corruption agency said the charges were in line with the country’s commitment to “bring to justice all the participants in the criminal enterprise associated with the bribe-for-contract arrangement associated with the Bonny LNG payments and spanning over a long period of time.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/corruption-currents/2010/12/07/nigeria-charges-manliness-cheney-in-bribery-scandal/
Copy the link, replace "manliness" with the real name and paste in your address bar.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 08, 2010
I'm anxious to see how this plays out

Arms folded
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by wesley80(m): 9:15am On Dec 08, 2010
I maintain that involving Cheney in this whole mess is nothing but an attention seeking stunt by the EFCC. Whatever they set out to achieve can be done without dragging Cheney into it and the deeper they drag him into it, the more ludicrous the whole charge would look like.
Beaf:

I wonder why some of us are scared of US reactions?

This isnt about being scared. U dont just wake up and decide to test your political strength against the US. Its like the proverbial Child that chooses to challenge his chi to a wrestling match because he had a satisfying bowl of pounded yam. Are u guys assuming this whole case isnt embarassing to the US? or is the reasoning like; Whats so special about the US, we can deal with them anyway we like. And to that I ask really?
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by 1025: 12:26pm On Dec 08, 2010
i don't pray to have jonathan as my local govt chairman.
jonathan single handedly destroyed all the charges leveled against ribadu by EFCC and forcefully ask the nigerian police to drop all charges against ribadu and turn his sack into retirement just to please ribadu's boss - obasanjo.
this same jonathan striked a deal in settling out of court the siemen's scandal and here we are, filing charges against D. Cheney. it is a shame.
every market woman in nigeria can name at least 20 corrupt politicians in nigeria yet these are men who still walk in our presence as saints and chief makers.
from the way things are going, we will soon charge the catholic pope along side obama in our oil loots.
this is a shame of a country and party that is as confused and their members.
if jonathan can stay 7 months with nothing to show for it, give him 600 yrs, i bet u nothing will still happen.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Beaf: 2:05pm On Dec 08, 2010
1025:

i don't pray to have jonathan as my local govt chairman.
jonathan single handedly destroyed all the charges leveled against ribadu by EFCC and forcefully ask the nigerian police to drop all charges against ribadu and turn his sack into retirement just to please ribadu's boss - obasanjo.
this same jonathan striked a deal in settling out of court the siemen's scandal and here we are, filing charges against D. Cheney. it is a shame.
every market woman in nigeria can name at least 20 corrupt politicians in nigeria yet these are men who still walk in our presence as saints and chief makers.
from the way things are going, we will soon charge the catholic pope along side obama in our oil loots.
this is a shame of a country and party that is as confused and their members.
if jonathan can stay 7 months with nothing to show for it, give him 600 yrs, i bet u nothing will still happen.

Obasanjo this, Obasanjo that! If night falls you will blame Obj. Guy, try to sound reasonable at times na!
If calm down and quietly you read through what you posted again, you will find that it is a long ramble with no valid point.

Getting local criminals with the help of foreign allies has proven lucrative already (witness Ibori), so don't worry, Cheney's big net will snag a lot of very big fish.
Re: EFCC Finally Charges D. Cheney! by Meddler(f): 4:03pm On Dec 08, 2010
OMG!!! this is the funniest shit I've heard. Is Dic.k Cheney guilty? hells yeah. Will anything happen? no effing way.
This is the same dude who shot his friend during a hunting trip and his friend not D. Cheney offered a public apology to Cheney. This is the same guy who created his own arm of government during the Bush administration and was impervious to any form of investigation. And believe it or not - Cheney ran that country for 8 years not Bush. Bush was merely a puppet.
So EFCC trying to flex it's little muscle is quite cute. That Waziri lady needs to have her head checked. U haven't removed the spec in our country's eye and u're looking for the spec in another country's eye so to speak.

(1) (Reply)

House Speaker, Dimeji Bankole, And 70 Pdp Lawmakers Plan To Decamp To ACN / 2011: Buhari Woos Saraki / Place Ur Vote Here, Atiku Or Jonathan: Pls One Vote Per Person: :)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.