Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP (3800 Views)

“I Won’t Insult Buhari, Instead I Quit” – PDP Chair Mu’azu To Jonathan Campaign / Oyinlola Writes Jonathan, Offers To Quit PDP / Obasanjo Threatens To Quit Pdp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Beaf: 8:39pm On Dec 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria's Babangida threatens to quit ruling party[/size]
Tue Dec 7, 2010 6:59pm GMT 
* Babangida says Jonathan bid breaches zoning pact
* Divisions risk splitting ruling party
* Election set to be fiercely contested
By Nick Tattersall

LAGOS, Dec 7 (Reuters) - Former Nigerian military ruler Ibrahim Babangida threatened on Tuesday to quit the ruling party before elections next April, underlining deep divisions over the candidacy of incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.

Jonathan's bid for the presidency of Africa's most populous nation is controversial because he is a southerner and inherited office earlier this year when late President Umaru Yar'Adua, a northerner, died part way through his first term.

The constitution of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) refers to a "policy of rotation and zoning" which has in practice meant that the presidency has switched between the mostly-Muslim north and largely-Christian south every two terms.

The PDP's candidate has won every election in Nigeria since the end of military rule just over a decade ago, but disagreement over who should run on its ticket in 2011 risks splitting the party and leaving the presidential race wide open.

Babangida said in a letter to PDP chairman Okwesilieze Nwodo that Jonathan's candidacy was a clear breach of the zoning deal.
"If the party has become so helpless in the face of these gross violations of its own constitution, then many of us shall have no alternative but to reconsider our continued membership of the party," Babangida said.

History has always favoured the incumbent in Nigeria's patronage-based political system, but Jonathan faces a tough battle at the PDP primaries, due by mid-January.

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has been picked by an elite group of northern politicians as a "consensus northern candidate" to challenge him for the nomination. [ID:nLDE6B00Y0]

Abubakar was chosen over four other northern aspirants for the ruling party ticket, including Babangida, former national security adviser Aliyu Gusau and Kwara state governor Bukola Saraki. [ID:nLDE6AL1JI]

Babangida and Gusau quickly congratulated Abubakar on his selection as the main PDP challenger to Jonathan, but analysts have questioned whether the "northern consensus" would hold.

"Babangida's comments are a warning shot -- a break-up of the PDP is a real possibility if Jonathan wins the primaries or even decides to continue to contest," said one Nigerian political analyst, who asked not to be named.

"It also suggests he has little faith in Atiku."

The April polls are shaping up to Nigeria's most unpredictable in recent memory because of the uncertainty in the ruling party. Ask three Nigerians how they will end and the response is at least three equally well-argued scenarios.

Key will be the state governors, who form a powerful caucus in the PDP. They could back Jonathan, Abubakar or a third candidate to try to resolve the divisions. Or northern factions in the PDP could split and mount a challenge at the polls.

Whatever the outcome, the final victor could find himself saddled with legal disputes and emerge with a weak mandate, hampering his administration's ability to push through badly needed reforms in sub-Saharan Africa's second-biggest economy. (For more Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: af.reuters.com/ ) (Editing by Angus MacSwan)

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6B620920101207?sp=true
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Beaf: 8:40pm On Dec 07, 2010
Sounds like a shallow excuse to ditch Atiku.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by DapoBear(m): 8:52pm On Dec 07, 2010

"Babangida's comments are a warning shot -- a break-up of the PDP is a real possibility if Jonathan wins the primaries or even decides to continue to contest," said one Nigerian political analyst, who asked not to be named.
Hrm.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by desgiezd(m): 8:53pm On Dec 07, 2010
What an irony! A former president now fighting seriously to represent a regional.

IBB is still interested in running for the presidency and he is merely looking for an excuse no matter how weak as this one.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Nsiman(m): 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2010
I see fear of gej in ibb,s eyes
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by rasputinn(m): 9:13pm On Dec 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Look here mallam Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida,your foolishitty is really getting very annoying and it's getting on my very last nerve.
Who d'you think you're fooling,everybody is not as idiotic as you and your children not to see that this' one lame a$$ excuse to ditch Atiku[/size]
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:21pm On Dec 07, 2010
Babangida should go and sit down jare, he could not win a common consensus vote how well would he fare with Nigeria? He has shown his bark is worse than his bite. He should face it Politics has moved on in naija.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by SapeleGuy: 12:06am On Dec 08, 2010
The break up of the PDP will be wonderful- Please let it break, Niger Delta needs its very own political party.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by marvix(m): 12:57am On Dec 08, 2010
The splitting of PDP would not deny Jonathan the presidency but it would mark the beginning of the end for the PDP.

The opposition are supposed to take their stand now and start taking more states from the federation and that would be the first step to becoming relevant
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Abagworo(m): 1:14am On Dec 08, 2010
I am almost certain that PDP must lose next years election.They will definitely lose every form of election in the South-West.I'm afraid but the only zone where PDP might be relevant is just the former Eastern region.I already foresaw this and will still remind doubting Thomases when the crisis starts next year.If GEJ wants to win next years election,he must have to quit PDP.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by mdfash(m): 3:12am On Dec 08, 2010
It's Maradona at his best (?worst). After losing out on the Northern consensus candidate plan, our own dear Maradona has to find a way to back out of the arrangement he solemnly agreed to with his Northern colleagues. "The court has spoken, and we must comply", cooed Maradona. But what did the court say? That the zoning arrangement is unenforceable!

The drama has begun; PDP should call IBB's bluff and let him go and pick up ANPP's nomination as he has always planned. It's been long speculated that IBB will back out if he is not the chosen one, and the expected is happening. Enough of all this window dressing; we expect him to declare for another party in the next few days.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Beaf: 6:35am On Dec 08, 2010
Its really funny to see the way IBB has taken one sure step into irrelevance after the other in his maniacal desperation (na long throat for oil blocks de cause dis kain small pikin behaviour) grin.

IBB is like someone with a fever that causes madness, the man is in a self destruct mode that threatens to take all down around him. While he must be urged on to press the button, it must be done from a comfortable distance.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by slap1(m): 7:15am On Dec 08, 2010
PDP is getting to the end of the tether. I like this! If GEJ wins, Atiku will leave. If Atiku wins, GEJ will leave.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Beaf: 9:08am On Dec 08, 2010
slap1:

PDP is getting to the end of the thether. I like this! If GEJ wins, Atiku will leave. If Atiku wins, GEJ will leave.

Its like a slow refining process. Could PDP actually be in the process of giving birth to a truly representative Nigerian party?

The wrecking ball might actually throw up a situation where the scheming cabals eject themselves into irrelevance through their overbearing arrogance and GEJ's previously rejected party reforms (eg digitalising the membership register, new voting mechanisms etc) become accepted, and he is able to empower youthful progressive types like Umar, Utomi, Donald Duke and the Fashola's of Nigeria.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 08, 2010
IBB!

You've always wanted to do that. Why is this coming up now? You don't have to evoke our sympathy to leave the PDP.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by xoxogg(f): 10:12am On Dec 08, 2010
Beaf:

Its like a slow refining process. Could PDP actually be in the process of giving birth to a truly representative Nigerian party?

The wrecking ball might actually throw up a situation where the scheming cabals eject themselves into irrelevance through their overbearing arrogance and GEJ's previously rejected party reforms (eg digitalising the membership register, new voting mechanisms etc) become accepted, and he is able to empower youthful progressive types like Umar, Utomi, Donald Duke and the Fashola's of Nigeria.

Very true, if PDP breaks up, it just might be the beginning of a new dawn
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Vindy: 11:18am On Dec 08, 2010
I have been expecting this from the E. Genius 4 long now.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by victorazy(m): 11:57am On Dec 08, 2010
let him come Jesus party
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by vubasms: 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2010
so whats he waiting for? my consent i guess. OK IBB quit fee d fee-IDIOT
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by sexybills: 12:25pm On Dec 08, 2010
I still dey look. I wan see whether those prophecies will come to pass concerning GEJ
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Reference(m): 12:25pm On Dec 08, 2010
This (let me not express myself freely) of a man can never change. It is always about his selfish, criminally inflated ego, not about zoning (then why not back Atickle to the end), his people nor this country. If he does not get his way he will take down everything around with him. No problem, the PDP has done enough damage anyway. If a Jonathan victory will broaden and deepen democracy I will consider it a good victory. The interests of the electorate MUST be placed above that of prospectors.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by Abayomin70(m): 12:31pm On Dec 08, 2010
dats always is plan very useless man i dont know wat he is still lookin for in aso rock
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by LaconicINC: 12:55pm On Dec 08, 2010
[color=#990000][/color] IBB is just being a child,who is he fooling,why cant he just come out straight and say he wants to contest in anoda party,as long as the earth remaineth ibb can NEVER rule Nigeria,he should try again in 2015,until he runs out of money,i urge his supporters to continue collecting money from him.IBB should be ashame of himself!
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by VERYANGRY(m): 12:55pm On Dec 08, 2010
and so f, cking what? is he any important to the party? he is a failed mechanism, GBAM
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by chiozor: 1:19pm On Dec 08, 2010
rasputinn:

[size=14pt]Look here mallam Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida,your foolishitty is really getting very annoying and it's getting on my very last nerve.
Who d'you think you're fooling,everybody is not as idiotic as you and your children not to see that this' one lame a$$ excuse to ditch Atiku[/size]
grin grin grin grin
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by halfcurrent(m): 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2010
… my thinking, I could be wrong anyway

Atiku may have conned others PDP Nothern presidential aspirants, including IBB into keying into the Northern consensus candidacy gimmicks.

Atiku is well experienced in dirty and money politics, and hence appear to pose a major threat to GEJ. Recall what happened at the PDP convention of 2003

Facts is that it will be in interest of GEJ to break that ranks of Atiku supporters which also include IBB's former supporters.

Fact is also that IBB will most likely trust GEJ to protect his interest (economical, politically, and otherwsie) than Atiku.

IBB is not sellable nether by PDP nor any other party, and he already knows that.

For IBB to attempt to run for presidency, at this time on PDP platform or any other party is a futile and wasteful effort; and he equally knows that.

The best way for GEJ to crack Atiku’s supporters is to break out IBB supporter’s

This appears to be another strategy to achieve that.

I therefore would not want to rule out the fact this may simply be a possible master plan between GEJ and IBB to ensure victory for GEJ.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by otokx(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2010
Its a free country
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by bisiaet: 2:27pm On Dec 08, 2010
Pls General, Alhaji, Chief, Honourable IBB what are you waiting for? You dont need to threathen just go and go for good.

The North claim to be powerful isnit? But the way they are crying since has really show they are afraid of Jonathan. They have boasted here and there to defeat him then why not them go and get ready for the game and lets see how a man of Atiku who was banned in U.S and recently in an interview refused to allow journalist deep into his affairs and scrutnise him would win GEJ. If he is a free man why is he afraid and avoiding question to his personalty? Thief. A free man has no fear to answer any question it is only a rogue that avoid question.

IBB pls go quick with immediate effect you are not ashame of yourself that Atiku was choseen instead of you and now you are talking. Regional, Religious, and Ethnic politics no longer relevant so get your head settle, zoning is not relevant anylonger all we need is a delevery leader, free of any accusation internally or outside is who we want so damn it ok!!!! GO IBB! GO IBB!! GO IBB!!!
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by collinsoft(m): 2:50pm On Dec 08, 2010
ones beating twice shy. he cant maradona this country again, lailai
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by eagleraise(m): 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2010
Two year old man will Know that IBB will quit PDP and Join another Party so he can still contest for presido however i wish him Goodluck coz i dont wish anyone badluck but Ends will Justify the means.
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by lightheart(m): 3:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
our people hav a saying : he who d gods want to strike, dey make him run mad 1st!! if IBB is such a genius, shuldnt he b wonderin lil atiku waz chosen ova him by d nothern elites as d consensus candidate?? lyk play lyk play, ma man don dey madt abi??!!! an advice: IBB, oda parties will look @ u wit derision, so dont even go dia!!!
Re: Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP by seanet02: 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2010
who care?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Needs A Nigerian National Philosophy Commission(nnpc) / Christmas Day Bomb Blast @ A Catholic Church In Mandala, Abuja? / Jonathan's Affair With Diezani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.