Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,702 members, 7,827,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k (2028 Views)

Guys Buy Car For Their Friend After Getting Tired Of Picking Him Up With Theirs / Li Xang: A Chinese Car With A Sleek Design And Amazing Features / Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Trueigbo: 8:32pm On Jan 20, 2020
A friend want to get a car for me from US. The car is super clean , used by one owner but the millage is 270k. It's a 2006 car.

Should I go for it?
Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by SeaQ(m): 8:39pm On Jan 20, 2020
Instead of buying you a fairly used car.. why don't you tell him to get you an Electric Vehicle (EV).

Read more on Electric Vehicles

www.opaev.com

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Trueigbo: 8:47pm On Jan 20, 2020
SeaQ:
Instead of buying you a fairly used car.. why don't you tell him to get you an Electric Vehicle (EV).

Read more on Electric Vehicles

www.opaev.com

Thanks for your input but Nigeria is not ready for electric cars

4 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 21, 2020
Trueigbo:
A friend want to get a car for me from US. The car is super clean , used by one owner but the millage is 270k. It's a 2006 car.

Should I go for it?
Mileage is not as relevant as the current state of the vehicle...

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 21, 2020
Trueigbo:

Should I go for it?

I'm not a fan of high mileage vehicles. Except it's coming at a very significant discount, have him look for another one.

Btw, what vehicle is this?
Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:30am On Jan 21, 2020
Trueigbo:

Should I go for it?
The mileage of a car is not all that relevant as long as there is constant maintenance. Ask yourself a question... If you change the engine of a car, does the mileage reverse? The answer is no, yet its a new engine. Same goes to all other parts and maintenances.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 21, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

The mileage of a car is not all that relevant as long as there is constant maintenance. Ask yourself a question... If you change the engine of a car, does the mileage reverse? The answer is no, yet its a new engine. Same goes to all other parts and maintenances.

Mileage of a car is very much relevant. You can argue that there are other things that matter but to say mileage isn't all that relevant is absolutely wrong.

Run through the carfax of most high mileage vehicles and one thing that you'll quickly notice is, as the mileage increases, so does the frequency of repairs.

If money is not a constraint,(and most times it isn't, it's just that we all want to use vehicles we clearly can't afford) a low mileage well maintained vehicle is the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Daviator(m): 12:03pm On Jan 22, 2020
Whilst mileage alone shouldn't be the deciding factor when buying a car, it sure is an indicator of the condition of the car.

1. In most cases, a high mileage car won't be as neat as a low mileage alternative.
2. Other factors associated with aging are likely to affect a vehicle that has been used for long, eg rust.
3. Note that pictures cannot show you the true nature of the car (especially all these abroad pictures)

If budget isn't a constraint, stick to a mileage of less than 200k
Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Trueigbo: 11:59pm On Jan 22, 2020
Daviator:
Whilst mileage alone shouldn't be the deciding factor when buying a car, it sure is an indicator of the condition of the car.

1. In most cases, a high mileage car won't be as neat as a low mileage alternative.
2. Other factors associated with aging are likely to affect a vehicle that has been used for long, eg rust.
3. Note that pictures cannot show you the true nature of the car (especially all these abroad pictures)

If budget isn't a constraint, stick to a mileage of less than 200k
Thank you
Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by tetralogyfallot(m): 7:30am On Jan 23, 2020
If the car is well maintained i don't see high mileage as a demerit. What are we even talking sef? Mileage wen kazeem go reduce to any figure u want in less than 20minutes.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Daviator(m): 8:10am On Jan 23, 2020
tetralogyfallot:
If the car is well maintained i don't see high mileage as a demerit. What are we even talking sef? Mileage wen kazeem go reduce to any figure u want in less than 20minutes.

If a car is well maintained mileage shouldn't be an issue. But u have no means of knowing how well maintained it is especially a car u are buying based on pictures.

With N1,500 u can reduce the mileage to any figure but u can't reduce other signs of aging on the car
(at least not to factory standard).
Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Bettycars1: 11:27am On Jan 23, 2020
rationalmind:

Mileage of a car is very much relevant. You can argue that there are other things that matter but to say mileage isn't all that relevant is absolutely wrong.

Run through the carfax of most high mileage vehicles and one thing that you'll quickly notice is, as the mileage increases, so does the frequency of repairs.

If money is not a constraint,(and most times it isn't, it's just that we all want to use vehicles we clearly can't afford) a low mileage well maintained vehicle is the best.
A car with high mileage but well maintained would serve you for years to come. What you should be more concerned about is the engine condition

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Bettycars1: 11:29am On Jan 23, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Nothing like new engine. The engines people buy to replace old ones are used engines from other cars

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Buy Car With Millage Of 270k by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 23, 2020
Bettycars1:

A car with high mileage but well maintained would serve you for years to come. What you should be more concerned about is the engine condition

So the one with low mileage will not serve me for years to come. If you have to choose between a 50k mile vehicle and a 200k mile vehicle, you'll choose the latter because it will last for years to come.

Choose any vehicle and tell us the OEM price of the Steering rack, Starter, Steering pump, Alternator, Axles, Compressor, Radiator e.t.c

Those and many more are parts that are likely to fail as the vehicle racks up mileage.

Anyone who can afford a low mileage vehicle should buy and have rest of mind. Don't go and buy a vehicle of 270k miles because someone who will not pay for your repairs told you it's okay as long as it's well maintained. There's a reason people buy brand new Vehicles.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Does Car A/C Increase Fuel Consumption / Ford Escape Durability / Jeep Liberty experience shared

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.