Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? (16930 Views)

Nigerian Customs Destroy N11.5m Worth Of Frozen Products In Edo (photos) / How Long Do It Take To Prepare Noodles / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Cosmass(f): 7:24am On Dec 08, 2010
How long? 2 weeks, a month before deciding to throw it away.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by MissyB3(f): 11:25am On Dec 08, 2010
Even after a year [Hyperbole] I still use it, as long as it's frozen.
I usually put the soup in the freezer a day after I prepared it, and it stays there for as long as whenever. No side effects.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by snthesis(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2010
after a week i suggest u throw it away.

Missy ★ B:

. No side effects.
yeah right!!! lai lai shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked i no chop

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by MissyB3(f): 2:31pm On Dec 08, 2010
After a week, throw what away? You must be kidding. angry Na so you wan waste the food I prepared with my hard-earned money and precious time? angry

On a serious note, since it's frozen, It can stay in the freezer for however long and would still be good for consumption.  cool

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by snthesis(m): 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2010
freezing the food doesnt kill the bacteria inside- it only reduces its activity - so please dont think freezing the food will keep it forever fresh, xcept ofcourse ur freezer runs on liquid nitrogen grin grin
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by MissyB3(f): 3:29pm On Dec 08, 2010
Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes — bacteria, yeasts and molds — present in food

Frozen food is safe, regardless of the amount of time it's been in the freezer.
Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and foodborne illness.
However, freshness and quality may 'reduce' but food remains SAFE!

I found this online:

Note: Freezer storage is for quality only. Frozen foods remain safe indefinitely.

Item AND  Months
Bacon and Sausage- 1 to 2
Casseroles- 2 to 3
Egg whites or egg substitutes-  12
Frozen Dinners and Entrees- 3 to 4
Gravy, meat or poultry-  2 to 3
Ham, Hotdogs and Lunchmeats-  1 to 2
Meat, uncooked roasts-  4 to 12
Meat, uncooked steaks or chops-  4 to 12
Meat, uncooked ground-  3 to 4
Meat, cooked-  2 to 3
Poultry, uncooked whole-  12
Poultry, uncooked parts-  9
Poultry, uncooked giblets-  3 to 4
Poultry, cooked-  4
Soups and Stews- 2 to 3
Wild game, uncooked- 8 to 12

Freshness and Quality of these item may be affected after the number of months stated BUT, they remain safe for consumption.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by rubi(f): 4:41pm On Dec 08, 2010
@ Topic If possible make your soup in small quantity so that it will not stay too long in the freezer

I suggest after two weeks the taste will change and it is not even healthy that is how people get cancer preserving food till thy kingdom come.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by MissyB3(f): 4:51pm On Dec 08, 2010
Lmao! I thought I had heard it all. grin
Frozen food causes cancerrrrrrrrrrr? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by snthesis(m): 11:29pm On Dec 08, 2010
Frozen also causes bad breath, malaria, schizophrenia. . . .

Seriously nothing worth eatin can be preserved indefinitely
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Cosmass(f): 5:41am On Dec 09, 2010
Missy ★ B:

I usually put the soup in the freezer a day after I prepared it, and it stays there for as long as whenever. No side effects.

Missy B, after a year? shocked shocked shocked I know you were sarcastic here lol. I think 3 weeks at most for the taste to still be there? or less.

rubi:

@ Topic If possible make your soup in small quantity so that it will not stay too long in the freezer

I suggest after two weeks the taste will change and it is not even healthy that is how people get cancer preserving food till thy kingdom come.

I noticed that sometimes and sometimes too for more than 2 weeks the taste is still there.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 09, 2010
///
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by snthesis(m): 10:16am On Dec 09, 2010
eeeewww!!! remind me not to eat ogbonno or okro in ur crib.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:31am On Dec 09, 2010
all those posting 12 months storage sure don't live in an area where nepa is in charge. grin

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2010
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by rubi(f): 4:06pm On Dec 09, 2010
@George_D I understand you, even here in America frozen food have expiration date and goes to the garbage after the date is being expired for people who eats it bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching Oprah's show one day and this woman has packs of frozen food in her fridge stored since decade the man interviewing her said to her do yo know that you are shortening the life span of your kids? and most frozen food are preserved with high sodium(salt).
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:09pm On Dec 13, 2010
rubi,
you just expressed one of my worries: the health effects of overpreservation on people.

chaircover,
me i no fear at all o! just send me flight ticket and i will be at the door of your house fiam!
i sure won't mind coming to eat that sweet amala and ogono with you!  grin
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by GL(f): 1:07am On Dec 17, 2010
generally i consider food edible as long as it tastes/smells/looks normal.

i rarely store cooked food in the freezer cos i mostly cook one meal at a time. but on the few occasions that i freeze cooked food, i consider them edible (and fresh) until whenever i eat them.

what i store forever is raw food, particularly chicken/meat. i almost always cook them after the expiry date. i've frozen meat, chicken & fish for up to 3 months, they smelled, looked & tasted normal afterwards. sometimes i store them in the fridge, and after a week or 2 they start to spoil.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Osama10(m): 1:36am On Dec 17, 2010
I think 1 month is ideal.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by kieryn(f): 6:46am On Dec 22, 2010
This is why I cant eat at people house I am afraid they r going to serve me 3 month old soup. Yuck! Dont usually freeze my soup except egusi and coco yam soup. I like to precook meat and freeze them but, I usually cook what I can eat whatever is left over doesn't last more than a week and anything left over afterward goes to the trash.
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 22, 2010
'/'/
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 22, 2010
'/'/
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by snthesis(m): 9:05am On Dec 22, 2010
^^ your chart doesn't apply in naija for now, esp wen you consider power-cuts
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 22, 2010
I dont live in Naija so the food charts apply to me 

So my Ogbonna is safe for you to eat cool
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by dominique(f): 10:26am On Dec 22, 2010
best i can do is a week. there's even an okra soup right now in my freezer that will end up in the trash bin. i cant stand storing food for long durations, i bow for those people who eat such. . . iyama tongue
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by MissyB3(f): 5:24pm On Dec 22, 2010
If I were in Naija, I would throw the soup away after 1 week too. So, you're right!
Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:28am On Dec 23, 2010
if it tastes ok, why throw it away?

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? by MissyB3(f): 11:21am On Dec 23, 2010
George_D:

if it tastes ok, why throw it away? 
Over to you, Dominique.

(1) (Reply)

Oil Splashing When Frying Fish. / Igbo Name For Flaxseed / The Bad Eating Habits I Find So Hard To Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.