Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,319 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack (1824 Views)

APC Destroys Five PDP Vehicles In Gombe In A Revenge Attack / Ijaw Youths Threaten Revenge Attack On Buhari’s Supporters If ... / GEJ Says The #bringbackgoodluck2015 Banners Should Be Brought Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
8 December 2010 Last updated at 10:48 Share this pageFacebookTwitterShareEmailPrint
Mastercard 'hit by Wikileaks revenge attacks'

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested by UK police
Continue reading the main story
Related stories

Wikileaks' Assange refused bail
Swiss bank shuts Wikileaks account
Wikileaks forced to change domain
Internet hacktivists are claiming to have brought down the Mastercard website as revenge for the firm withdrawing services to Wikileaks.

The Anonymous group of hackers have also brought down the website of the Swedish prosecutors office which is pursuing founder Julian Assange.

It has pledged to launch denial-of-service attacks on websites it sees as anti-Wikileaks.

Earlier it hit the Swiss bank that froze Mr Assange's assets.

PayPal, which has stopped processing donations to Wikileaks, has also been targetted.

Anonymous is a loose-knit group of hacktivists, with links to the notorious message board 4chan.

"We are glad to tell you that Mastercard is down and it's confirmed," the group tweeted.

Mastercard has not yet confirmed the attack but security experts have said the site has been under a so-called distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS), which swamp a site with so many requests that it becomes overwhelmed,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11935539
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:03pm On Dec 08, 2010
i dey see danger. wahala dey! wahala dey! grin
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by hakanai(m): 1:23pm On Dec 08, 2010
Nice move.let him tell the world what such criminal minded leaders do behind the scene that cause so many lives everyday. angry target all anti-wikileak goons.they can't handle the truth nonsense!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2010
haka_nai:

Nice move.let him tell the world what such criminal minded leaders do behind the scene that cause so many lives everyday. angry target all anti-wikileak goons.they can't handle the truth nonsense!!! lipsrsealed

and u don't see this as criminal move? If your business was attacked in such a way, would you be out here demanding the attackers continue?
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by hakanai(m): 1:36pm On Dec 08, 2010
@kobojunkie
A business that condones suppressing the truth and victimization of its customer over his right to air free information.mastercard did that because they support a group they feel a need to stand with, because of interest. This hackers just responded by saying, we could also screw em up like they threaten you.  cool
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On Dec 08, 2010
haka_nai:

@kobojunkie
A business that condones suppressing the truth and victimization of its customer over his right to air free information.mastercard did that because they support a group they feel a need to stand with, because of  interest. This hackers just responded by saying, we could also screw em up like they threaten you.  cool

Suppressing the truth? Are you sure? Cause much of the information released has yet to SHOCK anyone,especially here in the US. So, are you sure the truth is being suppressed or you are just reacting to all the buzz like so many people are?
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by hakanai(m): 2:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
^^^
Try checking the propaganda information they continue to allow us consume every now and then about how saint like USA and there allies etc represent.looking at wikileaks information and alot more i now know better and can draw my own conclusion on real facts not manipulated facts.while you are in US it maybe easy to say you know.look at it this way,they try to keep you safe at the expense of others.Now we know and i am glad it keeps coming because i know for sure,i can trust em.Even the USA government going by there comments recently have shown where they stand. undecidedCleaning up there mess.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Dec 08, 2010
haka_nai:

^^^
Try checking the propaganda information they continue to allow us consume every now and then about how saint like USA and there allies etc  represent.looking at wikileaks information and alot more i now know better and can draw my own conclusion on real facts not manipulated facts.while you are in US it maybe easy to say you know.look at it this way,they try to keep you safe at the expense of others.Now we know and i am glad it keeps coming because i know for sure,i can trust em.Even the USA government going by there comments recently have shown where they stand. undecidedCleaning up there mess.

I asked you a question, you realize that? I asked you what NEW information are you now privy to that you believe you never had before now if not for these leaks? I have, I believe made it clear, that I have not read anything NEW out of the cables and then asking you to tell me what new data you have so far been able to glean from the leaks, since you claim the truth was suppressed from you prior.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by tpia1: 2:28pm On Dec 08, 2010
seems the mastercard site is indeed down sha.

strange world.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by seanet02: 7:26pm On Dec 08, 2010
access bk please warn visacard make them no join ooooooo
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by presido1: 7:46pm On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

and u don't see this as criminal move? If your business was attacked in such a way, would you be out here demanding the attackers continue?
The criminal moves started from hacking of UN diplomats info ranging from password, Bio-datas, Credit Card info(master card included) and others. So where do we start the blame game?

I know you will not answer anyway.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2010
Oh Lordy, people are already jumping to ridiculous conclusions! Why am I not surprised?
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 08, 2010
Me thinks this is a tip of the iceberg.
There's more to come.

A can of worms will be opened.
The war is no longer physical. It is now cyber.

I say expose all the back stabbing, too faced, double faced chameleons.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by mrmayor(m): 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2010
@ Kobojunkie,

PayPal today admitted it suspended payments to WikiLeaks after an i[b]ntervention[/b] from the US State Department.

The site's vice-president of platform, Osama Bedier, told an internet conference the site had decided to freeze WikiLeaks's account on 4 Decembe[/b]r after government representatives said it was engaged in [b]illegal activity.

"State Dept told us these were illegal activities. It was straightforward," he told the LeWeb conference in Paris, adding: "We ,  comply with regulations around the world, making sure that we protect our brand."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/08/paypal-us-pressure-wikileaks-mastercard.

Whatever happened to Innocent until proven Guilty!The US government is always right, never wrong, always making the right decisions for the rest of the world and we should all be grateful to them,  I'm waiting for release of cables from Nigeria.

Kobojunkie:

Oh Lordy, people are already jumping to ridiculous conclusions! Why am I not surprised?

^^^^
Stockholm Syndrome.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Dec 08, 2010
Wait a second . . . . So because Paypal complied with Government requests, as is required of it by law, PayPal, and mastercard ought to be hacked?  undecided

You might want to learn what Stockholm syndrome means before you go around using it.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Omenani(m): 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2010
Cyber warfare at its finest! shocked
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by mrmayor(m): 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2010
Wikileaks has not been convicted of any crime! Btw, closing all those accounts would not stop Wikileaks, I also suppose the CIA, DOD, State Departments didn't break rules spying on the UN abi? If Mastercard and Visacard have the moral right to close Wikileaks account then they should also close those Halibuton, Siemens etc atleast these companies admited to crimes, convicted and fined!
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 8:56pm On Dec 08, 2010
^^^ You are not making any sense at all because you continue to ignore the main reason for the closing of wikileaks accounts with those mere companies. What next? If a store refuses you sale for one reason or another, it is ok for people to go rob and loot the store in the name of justice?
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by KennyG6(m): 9:02pm On Dec 08, 2010
haka_nai:

^^^
Try checking the propaganda information they continue to allow us consume every now and then about how saint like USA and there allies etc represent.looking at wikileaks information and alot more i now know better and can draw my own conclusion on real facts not manipulated facts.while you are in US it maybe easy to say you know.look at it this way,they try to keep you safe at the expense of others.Now we know and i am glad it keeps coming because i know for sure,i can trust em.Even the USA government going by there comments recently have shown where they stand. undecidedCleaning up there mess.
USA's gripe is not with Assange per se, the issue is who the whistleblowers are; if people choose to divulge sensitive info relating to national and international affairs then I believe the state should come down heavily on them.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by KennyG6(m): 9:05pm On Dec 08, 2010
mrmayor:

Wikileaks has not been convicted of any crime! Btw, closing all those accounts would not stop Wikileaks, I also suppose the CIA, DOD, State Departments didn't break rules spying on the UN abi? If Mastercard and Visacard have the moral right to close Wikileaks account then they should also close those Halibuton, Siemens etc atleast these companies admited to crimes, convicted and fined!
espionage is not a new thing, almost all countries do it to gain political advantage so I dont see what the big deal is,
Mastercard reserve the right to close any of the customers account if they deem it necessary
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by mrmayor(m): 9:08pm On Dec 08, 2010
@Kobojunkie,

In psychology, Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, essentially mistaking a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.[1] [2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

You madam have been held hostage by the adulation of your host country. You are trying to be more Patriotic than Patriots like Bill O'Reilly, Glen Beck, George Bush etc etc etc .
Kobojunkie:

^^^ You are not making any sense at all because you continue to ignore the main reason for the closing of wikileaks accounts with those mere companies. What next? If a store refuses you sale for one reason or another, it is ok for people to go rob and loot the store in the name of justice?

Of course I'm not making sense.

WikiLeaks cables: Lockerbie bomber freed after Gaddafi's 'thuggish' threats
Megrahi case led to threats against UK's Libyan interests, while Scots who released him had turned down 'a parade of treats'

Uk government was telling the whole world it Released a Mass Murderer on compassionate grounds, everyone knew it was about Oil deals, now histroy lessons would be much easier, Cablegate
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Dec 08, 2010
mrmayor:

@Kobojunkie,

In psychology, Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, essentially mistaking a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.[1] [2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

You madam have been held hostage by the adulation of your host country. You are trying to be more Patriotic than Patriots like Bill O'Reilly, Glen Beck, George Bush etc etc etc .
Of course I'm not making sense.

WikiLeaks cables: Lockerbie bomber freed after Gaddafi's 'thuggish' threats
Megrahi case led to threats against UK's Libyan interests, while Scots who released him had turned down 'a parade of treats'

Uk government was telling the whole world it Released a Mass Murderer on compassionate grounds, everyone knew it was about Oil deals, now histroy lessons would be much easier, Cablegate

And this is proof of why you have not been making any sense all this while. You might want to get yourself checked first for that Stockholm syndrome you keep bantering on about cause it sure does not look like I am the one living as a slave to some delusion here . . . cheesy
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by mrmayor(m): 9:22pm On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

And this is proof of why you have not been making any sense all this while. You might want to get yourself checked first for that Stockholm syndrome  you keep bantering on about cause it sure does not look like I am the one living as a slave to some delusion here  . . .  cheesy

Do you want me to post all the cables release so far? I think not.

You can wave your Stars and Stripes to the high heavens for all I care. I will be watching your reaction when Cables From Nigeria are released. I rest my case
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2010
mrmayor:

Do you want me to post all the cables release so far? I think not.

You can wave your Stars and Stripes to the high heavens for all I care. I will be watching your reaction when Cables From Nigeria are released. I rest my case

Well,I have read much of the cables to date. Nothing new in most all the releases, even recent ones one would really tag sensitive or new. Most of it seems more like office gossip than anything else.

I will read cables leaked from Nigeria as well but I am sorry that does not mean the person who leaks it is to be exempt from legal ramifications of such activity. I myself tried getting my hands on some Nigerian documents some time ago but decided the legal problems were not worth it for me. Not sure why you think we are all cowards, maybe like you, and so somehow think crime should be excused as long as it does not affect us or something.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by edoyad(m): 9:46pm On Dec 08, 2010
Quote from: mrmayor on Today at 09:08:19 PM

@Kobojunkie,In psychology, Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, essentially mistaking a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.

grin grin what i won't hear on NL ? Kobojunkie has got stockholm syndrome and is being held captive by the US govt. grin grin
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by mrmayor(m): 9:49pm On Dec 08, 2010
Fela once said [b]"My people dey fear things wey dem no see, thats why army man go whip your yan$h you go dey look like donkey" [/b]Some many crimes have been commited and hidden under National Security. All Dictators also lay claim to National Security.You'll make a good spokes woman for Abacha, GEJ etc .

CNN Headline.Horror, Nigerian Army sacks a community in Ekiti State.

kobojunkie Naija Gonment spokes woman, denies it. The Army is Ekiti is there for National Security. stories are from our detractors.

CNN Headline. Wikileaks: Naijagate, proof of Mass Murder in Ekiti State.

Kobojunkie, Julian Assange is a Terrorist, he has no business intefering in National Security, governments the world over have the Right to Secrets

Madam,

You may be trusting of Authorities, I'm not.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by presido1: 10:00pm On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well,I have read much of the cables to date. Nothing new in most all the releases, even recent ones one would really tag sensitive or new. Most of it seems more like office gossip than anything else.
If its office gossip why closing his account and witch hunting him.

[/quote]I will read cables leaked from Nigeria as well but I am sorry that does not mean the person who leaks it is to be exempt from legal ramifications of such activity. I myself tried getting my hands on some Nigerian documents some time ago but decided the legal problems were not worth it for me. Not sure why you think we are all cowards, maybe like you, and so somehow think crime should be excused as long as it does not affect us or something.
[quote]
You are the one excusing crime here, Hillary Clinton gave a directive to hack UN Diplomats info, i have not seen you condem such directive but you are keen to call condem Assange for similar crime. Kobo where is thy Moral.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Dec 08, 2010
mrmayor:

Fela once said [b]"My people dey fear things wey dem no see, thats why army man go whip your yan$h you go dey look like donkey" [/b]Some many crimes have been commited and hidden under National Security. All Dictators also lay claim to National Security.You'll make a good spokes woman for Abacha, GEJ etc .

CNN Headline.Horror, Nigerian Army sacks a community in Ekiti State.

kobojunkie Naija Gonment spokes woman, denies it. The Army is Ekiti is there for National Security. stories are from our detractors.

CNN Headline. Wikileaks: Naijagate, proof of Mass Murder in Ekiti State.

Kobojunkie, Julian Assange is a Terrorist, he has no business intefering in National Security, governments the world over have the Right to Secrets

Madam,

You may be trusting of Authorities, I'm not.

You are still not making any sense, you know that right?  For justice to be fair, it cannot be one-sided -- I am moved to believe you know that? I am going to pretend you want justice but it somehow seems you want it ONLY when it suits you or just for the side you are willing to throw your lot in with, am I right?

Let’s assume for a minute that any one of the scenarios you have above makes remote sense and by chance  is true. What stops the people from learning the truth and the truth teller who STOLE the information at the same time serving for the crime of stealing? Or isn't justice supposed to be blind after all?

Remember I started here with you when you stated it was FAIR for hackers to hack into companies that do not agree with you on issues and do not want to take sides in this? You came out and admitted that these companies were ordered to shut down an account but in the same you continue to blame the companies and I wonder if you are able to comprehend how unfair your own assertions have been, even as you claim fairness is what you stand for.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by wikileaks1: 10:48pm On Dec 08, 2010
Well it's another day and finally Wikileaks has something on Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-564907.0.html
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 08, 2010
It's now the turn of american arm of VISA site to be hacked.

The European arm is still up and running.
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Kobojunkie: 9:07am On Dec 09, 2010
Here's hoping we will not hear that banks are being attacked next and accounts hacked and then drained by the same "intelligent minds".
Re: Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 09, 2010
This getting even more interesting.
The hackers have threatened to target twitter. . . LOL

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Of President Obama And President Of Russia Buying And Eating Burger / Massacre In Nigeria Spurs Outcry Over Military Tactics - New York Times / We Have A Lot Of Cowards In The Nigeria Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.