Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie (3585 Views)

Nigerian Kids Kneel Down, Beg Grandpas Tinubu & Atiku To Step Down For Peter Obi / Sacked Imo Civil Servants Kneel Down To Beg Governor Ihedioha (Photos) / Atiku’s Wife Takes Campaign To Onitsha, Reveals Why Igbo Should Vote Her Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by JosEast(m): 5:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
A veteran actor Pete Edochie has said kneeling down to propose is totally wrong and it is not an Igbo tradition. Edochie said it is the duty of the elders to correct the children of this generation who are following the western tradition even as he said he did not kneel to propose to his wife.

He disclosed that with his marriage now 50 years, no one had ever settled disputes for him and his wife. Edochie added that kneeling down for a lady means handing over authority to her. He said the western tradition is wrong, stressing that it had no place in Igbo tradition.

The actor explained that kneeling down in front of a lady in Igbo tradition means handing over the authority to her. He said it means she would become the head of the family.

According to him, marriage in the Igbo tradition is when a lady gives her husband-to-be wine while kneeling down, adding that this tradition signifies that the man has been accepted by the lady as her husband.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-igbo-men-should-not-kneel-down-to-propose-to-a-lady-pete-edochie.html

22 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by kaykay1980: 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2020
KPONKWEM, GBAM

16 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by nlPoster: 5:53pm On Jan 23, 2020
hm

Wait though, this is politics section, op.
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Snipper007: 5:53pm On Jan 23, 2020
Dede igadi Maka na eziokwu bu ife inekwuputa.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 23, 2020
He is too old to understand modelization

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by petnuel(m): 5:55pm On Jan 23, 2020
I hope Edochie does not wear cloth because wearing cloth is part of his "western civilisation ".
I also hope Edochie does not use phone because phone is not part of Igbo tradition.
Does Edochie live in a modern house or in the traditional mud house with rafter palm roof ?
Doe he worship the traditional Igbo gods or the western God?
How come this traditional thought of Edochie is conveyed through western medium of communication? What happened to the traditional Igbo gongs and town criers?

Oga, face your front abeg

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by 21cents: 6:01pm On Jan 23, 2020
Jesse25:
modelization kee you. I'd rather have my balls shattered than kneel to propose to a woman.

I'm the man here! the king! poised to work my ass off to take care of the family bills including hers and future kids. she should be lucky I'm even considering her as my wife so I can take her off the single market as too much age no be their friend.

Why the Fawk would you give too much importance to the overrated female folks to the point of kneeling and begging her to marry you?
na on top bed as I laid on my back na hin I go propose- if she finds it awkward she can turn me down na she Sabi..

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Dreal1247: 6:06pm On Jan 23, 2020
Men are not to kneel while proposing to the women. This is one I the major causes gay marriage. Women are oppressing men. Nigerian men over there are busy killing there.

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Biafrannuke: 6:14pm On Jan 23, 2020
petnuel:
I hope Edochie does not wear cloth because wearing cloth is part of his "western civilisation ".
I also hope Edochie does not use phone because phone is not part of Igbo tradition.
Does Edochie live in a modern house or in the traditional mud house with rafter palm roof ?
How come this traditional thought of Edochie is conveyed through western medium of communication? What happened to the traditional Igbo gongs and town criers?

You seem to mistake western civilization with technology. Technology is universal while civilization is culture specific. I don't blame you though, psychic impairment and self hate is typical of people of the zoo.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by PicLtd: 6:47pm On Jan 23, 2020
Kneeling down to propose as a man is unAfrican and unIgbo.

It means you are transfering the authority God gave you in the bible as a man to the lady.

If you support it, then eat the bigger frog by also kneeling to serve palmwine to your wife during traditional wedding.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Nigerianization(m): 7:17pm On Jan 23, 2020
Biafrannuke:
You seem to mistake western civilization with technology. Technology is universal while civilization is culture specific. I don't blame you though, psychic impairment and self hate is typical of people of the zoo.

Na you talk am ooo
Need I say more
Thanks for the clarification
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by BuhariAdvocate: 7:19pm On Jan 23, 2020
He make some sense here.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by adamooye: 7:23pm On Jan 23, 2020
Pride!

1 Like

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by MartinCorridon: 8:07pm On Jan 23, 2020
Baba, leave marriage proposal and focus on :

Drug dealing, baby factories and prostitution that have become ingrained in your culture and traditions.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Beremx(f): 8:24pm On Jan 23, 2020
Oga go siddon. This is not nollywood. Carry your opinion and dash to your self
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by danot1030: 8:35pm On Jan 23, 2020
JosEast:
A veteran actor Pete Edochie has said kneeling down to propose is totally wrong and it is not an Igbo tradition. Edochie said it is the duty of the elders to correct the children of this generation who are following the western tradition even as he said he did not kneel to propose to his wife.

He disclosed that with his marriage now 50 years, no one had ever settled disputes for him and his wife. Edochie added that kneeling down for a lady means handing over authority to her. He said the western tradition is wrong, stressing that it had no place in Igbo tradition.

The actor explained that kneeling down in front of a lady in Igbo tradition means handing over the authority to her. He said it means she would become the head of the family.

According to him, marriage in the Igbo tradition is when a lady gives her husband-to-be wine while kneeling down, adding that this tradition signifies that the man has been accepted by the lady as her husband.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-igbo-men-should-not-kneel-down-to-propose-to-a-lady-pete-edochie.html

This is a good one from one of the few Igbo men i respect and i hope our bloders who always have identify problem wanting to be another nation will heed to this.
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Chibuzoc(m): 9:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
Wow
I remembered telling my dad to kneel down and apologise to my mum, he apologised without kneeling down. Now I know the reason.
Igbo Amaka

4 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by goodnessme1(f): 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2020
That is our traditional,if my man kneel down to propose to me,i gona decline it.

Igbo amaka.

Afonjas ajoka.

6 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by goodnessme1(f): 9:57pm On Jan 23, 2020
adamooye:
Pride!
No body stops you yorubas from lying flat on the floor when proposing to your women.

Is not done here in Asaba delta state.

3 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Sanquine(m): 10:03pm On Jan 23, 2020
goodnessme1:
That is our traditional,if my man kneel down to propose to me,i gona decline it.

Igbo amaka.

Afonjas ajoka.
What's Afonjas??
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by goodnessme1(f): 10:16pm On Jan 23, 2020
Sanquine:
What's Afonjas??
google it

1 Like

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Amumaigwe: 10:18pm On Jan 23, 2020
petnuel:

Your points are mortally weak. We were weaving and wearing clothes, living in houses before the so called civilization. Weather their civilized houses and clothes are better or not, everywhere houses are primarily for shelter, and clothes for covering unclothedness. What we had before civilization met those needs. Furthermore, there is nothing like Igbo god. We have 'Chiukwu' (Almighty God), who is the same God we worship today.

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by foolbuster: 10:22pm On Jan 23, 2020
Jesse25:

Listen to your elders these kids.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Sanquine(m): 10:29pm On Jan 23, 2020
goodnessme1:
google it
Afonja was a Yoruba man who seeked the help of the fulanis to fight against Oyo ile and on the long run, he made the Yoruba's to lose the right to Kingship in Ilorin, kwara state. I still can't figure out what Afonja has to do with this topic.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:33pm On Jan 23, 2020
God bless you Mr Edochie. This is what I have been advocating on nairaland. Igbos should not kneel or lie down to greet. And to kneel to a woman is a no no. We have always been known to take best care of our women. Kneeling to propose is not a mark of a stable home. An Igbo man will not surrender his authority in his home but will be willing to go naked just to cloth his wife.

We are created complexly unique. Humiliating yourself is not respect. Our self pride has made us to progress tremendously. We shouldn't condemn those who do it if their culture permits them anyway. But our culture abhors that. Just show respect but dont humiliate yourself.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Walewestt(m): 10:40pm On Jan 23, 2020
I'm a Yoruba man, and bending the knee to propose to a lady is absolutely wrong and it's not a Yoruba thing but since more yoruba's are educated, we seem to forget our tradition... I think this time around we should thank the igbos for reminding us the truth !!!

8 Likes

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 23, 2020
This is more of a Yoruba thing among Yoruba men kneeling down on social media to propose to women. I don't know of any Igbo man who has ever knelt down to propose to a woman. Igbo culture is a macho culture. Yoruba culture is a 50/50 or even women dominanted; women run yoruba families.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Banmeallday: 11:10pm On Jan 23, 2020
He should shut up. He already messed up by dissing Biafra, yet he will be there wearing Isi Agu
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by nlPoster: 11:19pm On Jan 23, 2020
danot1030:

This is a good one from one of the few Igbo men i respect and i hope our bloders who always have identify problem wanting to be another nation will heed to this.

Traditionally the man does not kneel down when proposing but in modern times the lady would expect it perhaps.
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by nlPoster: 11:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
That is our traditional,if my man kneel down to propose to me,i gona decline it

On nairaland perhaps, not in real life.
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by nlPoster: 11:23pm On Jan 23, 2020
PicLtd:
Kneeling down to propose as a man is unAfrican and unIgbo.

It means you are transfering the authority God gave you in the bible as a man to the lady.

If you support it, then eat the bigger frog by also kneeling to serve palmwine to your wife during traditional wedding.

You can combine cultures to reflect the modernity. Kneel or stand during proposal, then do the traditional stuff the traditional way.
Re: Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie by Gabkosh: 11:33pm On Jan 23, 2020
catoluy:
This is more of a Yoruba thing among Yoruba men kneeling down on social media to propose to women. I don't know of any Igbo man who has ever knelt down to propose to a woman. Igbo culture is a macho culture. Yoruba culture is a 50/50 or even women dominanted; women run yoruba families.
Sharap and stop lying.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Anambra Is Treated Like An Outcast In Igboland / The Real Issues Surrounding Gov Obaseki And APC / What Is Kwankwaso's Problem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.