Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance (8040 Views)

Tinubu Meets With Northern Alliance Committee Members (Pictures) / Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance / Forgotten History Of Igbo And Northern Alliance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 25, 2020
[quote author=XANDERBOY85 post=86085016]

And so what if Zik had the confidence in his ethnic groups ability to 'dominate' Africa through merit and taking advantage of business/economic opportunities? Igbos are a blessed people! Notice how the Sadauna was complaining about Igbos running things in the north...

And what are you dominating in present day Nigeria now?
Are other tribes rushing to your five states because they are the most developed in Nigeria? No. The domination Azikiwe was talking about was a political one where his people will be inserted in the civil service and also head major government parastatal as well as institutions of learning in other regions and of course ruling others in their region like he wanted to rule the Yorubas in their region. Actions are louder than words.

notice how Igbo states have the highest cut-off marks for JAMB....

You mean the same bastardised exam that parents pay for expo to see the questions days before the exams? Funny. And dont mention WAEC either. Teachers help their students score high marks. It happens everywhere in Nigeria.

notice how all Nigerians are in agreement that if you go to any place and don't see Igbos there, you had better turn around and run as such a place would not be conducive for living.....

And if I may ask, what's chasing you from your homeland? Why do you think you can prosper everywhere else except for your homeland?

i could go on and on!

Please don't. We've read enough.

Even in Nigeria, see how certain sections of the country lose sleep over the mere suggestion of referendum on secession or the suggestion of secession itself! They can't imagine surviving without us! You're probably one of them!

When you had the opportunity to have a secession clause in the constitution, your leader defeated the move.
Of course, you had thought to use your supposed advantage of having an upper hand in the civil service and politics to rule ALL of Nigeria.

Now that you see other ethnicities have cottoned on to your ambitions, you want out.

I don't fault that. Every group should have a right to self determination. Yet, thinking that others won't survive when you guys are the ones with the leat landmass of the three major ethnicities in Nigeria?

Landlocked as well?

Puhleeze...have your Biafra already. We will give you free trucks to help you relocate from the West, I swear.

5 Likes

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by antadiop2: 11:21am On Jan 25, 2020
[quote author=FrLukas post=86092132][/quote]

Morning, can you please give a direct source of Awolowo asking Zik to insert secession into the constitution?

God bless

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 25, 2020
antadiop2:

Morning, can you please give a direct source of Awolowo asking Zik to insert secession into the constitution?

God bless

Did I say somewhere that Awolowo ASKED Zik to insert anything anywhere?

I'm confused.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by antadiop2: 12:04pm On Jan 25, 2020
FrLukas:

Did I say somewhere that Awolowo ASKED Zik to insert anything anywhere?

I'm confused.

My bad ! I meant where you said the leader had the chance to insert secession in the constitution but balked at the idea? Do you have a direct source?

God bless
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Ritchiee: 12:19pm On Jan 25, 2020
celeiyke:

Is it the Ibadan I know or another one??

Stop being an ostrich. Do you have these in the entire Igboland?

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Sanchez01: 12:31pm On Jan 25, 2020
FrLukas:

Please where can I get this ton of videos you talked about?
On YouTube, Associated Press channel. You might want to start with 'Ojukwu Press Conference'. If you see the one prior the war, there should be suggestions of other videos within AP's archive.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Dedetwo(m): 12:44pm On Jan 25, 2020
FrLukas:

This is silly. They cannot feed themselves how?

They had the groundnut pyramids.

Till today majority of the food products enjoyed by Nigeria comes from the North.

In fact before the incoming or the colonialists, the Yorubas had been trading with the North.

So what do you mean by the North couldn't feed itself? I'm confused here. angry

Why did your forbearers persecute a war against Eastern Region of Nigeria? If you are given a century to come up with correct answers, I doubt if you could be able do so. The goons from the northern region would have continued with shout of Araba! Araba!! Araba!!! and saw through it instead they realized they were sliding into slippery path of a self destruction. Which Yari.ba are you on about? The Yari.ba whose seat of original home was in northern region, precisely 30 miles north of Ilorin.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by XANDERBOY85: 12:45pm On Jan 25, 2020
[quote author=FrLukas post=86092132][/quote]

You ask mockingly what Igbos are dominating in Nigeria today? Well, given the present status-quo and political-economy, certainly not central government! We can safely say that's dominated by the Fulani, and see where Nigeria is today in all developmental indices compared to where we were in the early 60s right up to 1966! The Fulani (not even a mjority ethnic group or indigenous to Nigeria) are today dominating the Nigerian political-economy, yet you go to bed and sleep well, but seem to have a problem if Igbos were to do same....why is that? Another question is: how did these Fulani come about dominating you.....is it through merit or force?

Zik, who i admit was a idealist to a fault, was talking of dominating based on merit.....you're free to believe or disbelieve, that's up to you! The argument of whether those VCs (b'cos i know that's what you're driving at) were appointed based on merit or based on Ziks influence can go both ways and has been argued a lot in the past.....but suffice it to say that a continental/global comparison of the universities ranking, when you say Igbos forcefully dominated things, vis-a-vis their ranking today would reveal just how badly things have degenerated....all because you now prefer the Fulani dominating things over your perceived 'Igbo domination' in the early 60s! You know there was a time the Saudi royal family came to University Collage Hospital, Ibadan for treatment?

You imply other tribes are not rushing to 'our 5 south-east states' because we're not the most developed in Nigeria! You sound so small-minded and juvenile! Can you then tell me the 'most developed part of Nigeria' other tribes are rushing to? And if there's such a 'most developed part', are other tribes rushing there solely because of the efforts, input and ingenuity of the indigenous ethnicity of said region....or is it a case of the Nigerian political-economy in place from 1967 to date that's given them this advantage over other regions?

We have a situation where 'our 5 south-east states' have been denied a int'l airport for decades since the end of the uncivil war; the area formerly known as the Eastern Region has been denied any thriving seaport while Lagos has been given preferential status for decades (and you stupidly brag about where other tribes are rushing to and where they are not); hydrocarbons in 'our 5 south-east states' (ie, the ones that were left for us and not wickedly carved into Rivers state) have been largely ignored or treated as 'strategic national reserves', while the federal gov't spends billions of dollars prospecting for oyel and gas in the north; you have connived and contrived to deny Igbos the presidency at any given opportunity either through coups or scheming within the dominant political party of the time; you have stood at the door to welcome all billion dollar FDIs coming to Nigeria and promptly directed them to your own region to the exclusion of 'our 5 south-east states' to give yourselves even more economic traction and advantage over Igbos....you then turn around to brag in my face that the economy of your region is solely of your making; etc-etc-etc!

So you're saying the south-east has the highest cut-off marks in JAMB admission because Igbos cheat in exams? You mean Igbos have been cheating in exams since the early 70s this policy has been in place? I suppose Igbos should learn from say your own ethnic group who don't cheat and are made up of 'sweet, innocent angels' with halos hovering over their cherubic heads? shocked Of course i know you'd rather take a bullet to the head than credit the Igbos for anything! The Fulani maybe....but never the Igbos! wink

You 'one Nigerianists' always find it so convenient to blame Zik for 'not inserting a secession clause in the constitution'! This is your get-out-of-jail-card you deploy to deflect blame and heap it all on Ndigbo! So Zik, who i presume had just one vote, was able to arm-twist the Awo and the Sadauna not to include said clause in the constitution abi? Igbos last held power at the centre with Ironsi....since then it's been passed between the north and the south-west! Now why haven't you been able to insert the secession clause back into the constitution all this while? Could it be that your two-faced, hypocritical ass likes things the way they are and can't fathom any meaningful existence without 'one Nigeria'? Igbos have been murdered in cold blood for calling for a referendum on secession....we haven't heard kpim from your end! And you wanna sit there....act all innocent and holy, and tell me you lot are agonising over Zik 'refusing to insert a secession clause in the constitution'? Gimme a break mate!

I find it funny how you seem to get so excited over the issue of 'our 5 south-east states' being landlocked! Does this make you sleep well at night...b'cos you're always banging on about it? Igbos/Biafrans have said landlocked or no landlocked, let's have that referendum, yet you that is not landlocked breaks out in a cold sweat and sends truckloads of python dancers down to the south-east to go shoot up some agitators! What does that say about your self-confidence as against that of Ndigbo/Biafrans? In any case, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Botswana are landlocked countries, yet they beat your sealocked 'one Nigeria' in all developmental indices, so what are we saying?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Dedetwo(m): 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2020
Area4Area:
Do the right thing and change the status quo instead of always apportioning blames on others about what happened in the past, that's what the article was all about

You were the same fellow who swallowed the crap hook, line and sinker. You were salivating on the cooked up crap and never cared to say this is not correct or even google the names of the dudes supplied to counter the junk. Nigeria is wasted time and I have no sympathy for it. All I want is unconditional disintegration. I am not a person fool around on something that is clearly unworkable.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Dedetwo(m): 1:24pm On Jan 25, 2020
Area4Area:
I had been Yeske!, later yeske2 (both pro Biafra), later yyeske and now area4area (anti IPOB and Biafra for obvious reasons). I don't use others.
You busted yourself and not me or you open another thread for my case and stop derailing this thread. You even sound like that Malawian noise maker

It is absolutely idiotic to oppose or become anti something based on the figment of a person's imagination.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by celeiyke: 1:58pm On Jan 25, 2020
Ritchiee:

Stop being an ostrich. Do you have these in the entire Igboland?

Kindly go back to economics class to get schooled.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2020
[quote author=XANDERBOY85 post=86095732]

I'll take my time to respond to this term paper, not because you deserve a response but so that anyone who reads your post can immediately see the rejoinder and not fall into a jaundiced perspective that bedevils the likes of you.

You ask mockingly what Igbos are dominating in Nigeria today? Well, given the present status-quo and political-economy, certainly not central government! We can safely say that's dominated by the Fulani, and see where Nigeria is today in all developmental indices compared to where we were in the early 60s right up to 1966! The Fulani (not even a mjority ethnic group or indigenous to Nigeria) are today dominating the Nigerian political-economy, yet you go to bed and sleep well, but seem to have a problem if Igbos were to do same....why is that? Another question is: how did these Fulani come about dominating you.....is it through merit or force?

You said I asked "mockingly". That is the tone you chose to read it with. I should hardly be blamed for your state of mind.

The quote I responded to said something to the effect that apart from politics the Igbos dominated in every other aspect of the Nigerian life. So, my question was borne out rank curiosity, but since you've all been raised with a peculiar persecution complex, you had to read mockery into my post for it to make sense to you.

You are yapping about the Hausa/Fulani domination of the Nigerian space, blaming it on the Yorubas. Check out the history of Nigeria and tell us which region has been in bed longest with the Hausa/Fulani dominated North. You can start counting from Nnamdi Azikiwe through Ekwueme to your most recent abandonment your agitation for your own Republic to jump into bed with Atiku just because he dangled a Vice presidency before you.

I guess it's still Yorubas fault, right?

Azikiwe had a very good opportunity to form majority government with Awolowo who had already conceded the Prime ministerial position to Zik, only for Zik to turn around and in a baffling move and offer the Prime Ministerial position to Tafawa Balewa and settled for the less prestigious position of Governor General. Even Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana was totalled flummoxed by the senseless move. But of course, Zik did it to get back at Awo and the Yorubas.

So you see? You guys have always been contented with the second place position. Hence my question, which area you are dominating in Nigeria. Even you couldn't point to one.

Zik, who i admit was a idealist to a fault, was talking of dominating based on merit.....you're free to believe or disbelieve, that's up to you! The argument of whether those VCs (b'cos i know that's what you're driving at) were appointed based on merit or based on Ziks influence can go both ways and has been argued a lot in the past.....but suffice it to say that a continental/global comparison of the universities ranking, when you say Igbos forcefully dominated things, vis-a-vis their ranking today would reveal just how badly things have degenerated....all because you now prefer the Fulani dominating things over your perceived 'Igbo domination' in the early 60s! You know there was a time the Saudi royal family came to University Collage Hospital, Ibadan for treatment?

I think I have answered part of this up there in the first part.

If the Hausa/Fulanis are dominating Nigerian leadership today, blame your ethnic group for always being in bed with them.

Yorubas have always been in opposition

This is the first time Yorubas would be aligning with the center.

Even when the cabal chose Obasanjo who many think is Yoruba but whose paternity is still in doubt anyway, Yorubas rejected him, but you guys voted for him massively as opposed to the true choice of Yorubas, Olu Falae.

You imply other tribes are not rushing to 'our 5 south-east states' because we're not the most developed in Nigeria! You sound so small-minded and juvenile! Can you then tell me the 'most developed part of Nigeria' other tribes are rushing to? And if there's such a 'most developed part', are other tribes rushing there solely because of the efforts, input and ingenuity of the indigenous ethnicity of said region....or is it a case of the Nigerian political-economy in place from 1967 to date that's given them this advantage over other regions?

I didn't imply anything. It is a statement of fact.

Western Nigeria is the most migrated to area in all of Nigeria.

You are implying that it's because Lagos was developed as a former capital Territory. I laugh. Have you been to Ibadan before? How about Akure? How about Osogbo? Every nook and cranny of Yorubaland, you'll find a sizeable number of your kinsmen living there.

I know you feel uncomfortable with that information, probably because your region isn't so welcoming. You don't sell land to strangers yet your people buy land and build their houses in the West.

Even you don't want to stay back there. You only go home for Christmas to show off your bling bling that you bought in the West. Am I right or not?

We have a situation where 'our 5 south-east states' have been denied a int'l airport for decades since the end of the uncivil war; the area formerly known as the Eastern Region has been denied any thriving seaport while Lagos has been given preferential status for decades (and you stupidly brag about where other tribes are rushing to and where they are not); hydrocarbons in 'our 5 south-east states' (ie, the ones that were left for us and not wickedly carved into Rivers state) have been largely ignored or treated as 'strategic national reserves', while the federal gov't spends billions of dollars prospecting for oyel and gas in the north; you have connived and contrived to deny Igbos the presidency at any given opportunity either through coups or scheming within the dominant political party of the time; you have stood at the door to welcome all billion dollar FDIs coming to Nigeria and promptly directed them to your own region to the exclusion of 'our 5 south-east states' to give yourselves even more economic traction and advantage over Igbos....you then turn around to brag in my face that the economy of your region is solely of your making; etc-etc-etc!

You were denied an international airport. Then when you were granted one, your sister, Stella Oduah who was the minister of aviation at the time decided to give you, her people, a substandard airport and diverted most of the money into her pocket. Today that airport has been closed because pilots have refused to land there citing the worst runway ever. Lemme guess, the Yorubas are at fault for this.

Your mind can't grasp the fact that you can't have a seaport if you don't have a sea on any of your borders. Mention one Igbo state that isn't landlocked and has access to the ocean.

But you want the federal government to drag the ocean to your doormouth so that you can have a sea port.

Or maybe it's still the Yoruba's fault that you are landlocked.

You say we denied the Igbo presidency. How can that be so when the Igbos themselves have always aligned with the power at the center?

How did the Yorubas deny you the presidency? Can you explain that dull notion for me please?

Azikiwe could have been prime minister, but to spite the Yorubas he gave it on a platter to the Fulanis. Ojukwu came back to contest for President but since you are slaves to the Fulanis, you voted for Shagari because he gave your son Ekwueme the VP slot.

There were at least 2 to 3 Igbo presidential contestants in the last elections but you lot flocked behind Atiku another Fulani man because the Fulani ass that you've been licking since independence is very sweet ba?

See your life? And you still come here and spew utter rubbish.

So you're saying the south-east has the highest cut-off marks in JAMB admission because Igbos cheat in exams? You mean Igbos have been cheating in exams since the early 70s this policy has been in place? I suppose Igbos should learn from say your own ethnic group who don't cheat and are made up of 'sweet, innocent angels' with halos hovering over their cherubic heads? shocked Of course i know you'd rather take a bullet to the head than credit the Igbos for anything! The Fulani maybe....but never the Igbos! wink

You read to respond not to understand. You have a shitty comprehension skill.

Go back and read that portion very well and point out where I said Igbos are the only ones that cheat in exams.

Since you have very low comprehension skills, I'll spell it out here. Exam in Nigeria is not a true test of a student's ability. Whether you agree or not, that's the simple truth. So saying that you top JAMB scores is rubbish.

You 'one Nigerianists' always find it so convenient to blame Zik for 'not inserting a secession clause in the constitution'! This is your get-out-of-jail-card you deploy to deflect blame and heap it all on Ndigbo! So Zik, who i presume had just one vote, was able to arm-twist the Awo and the Sadauna not to include said clause in the constitution abi? Igbos last held power at the centre with Ironsi....since then it's been passed between the north and the south-west! Now why haven't you been able to insert the secession clause back into the constitution all this while? Could it be that your two-faced, hypocritical ass likes things the way they are and can't fathom any meaningful existence without 'one Nigeria'?

You want an answer to this? Go and read the original post of this thread. I won't repeat facts for you.

Asking me silly questions as to why the secession clause hasn't been inserted since then.

Why don't you ask yourself

1. Which region has the most members of parliament among the West, East, South and North?

2. If the North is dominating in politics, why should they support secession?

This is exactly the same reason why your Zik didn't support secession in the first place. He was so sure the Igbos would dominate others in Nigeria, and so he opposed it.

See? The shoe is on the other foot now. So enjoy it.

Igbos have been murdered in cold blood for calling for a referendum on secession....we haven't heard kpim from your end! And you wanna sit there....act all innocent and holy, and tell me you lot are agonising over Zik 'refusing to insert a secession clause in the constitution'? Gimme a break mate!

You want to hear "kpim" from our end when you haven't sowed "kpim" here? Na Yoruba people send you message? Abegi.

When Nnamdi was spewing his hate propaganda against Yorubas, all of you were jubilating and frothing at the mouth with joy. You hailed him as your Messiah. Now you're crying with mucus running from your nose into your mouth like a child whose piece of bread was snatched, blaming Yorubas for not hearing "kpim" from their side. No be only "kpim". Na "kpam" you go hear.

I find it funny how you seem to get so excited over the issue of 'our 5 south-east states' being landlocked! Does this make you sleep well at night...b'cos you're always banging on about it? Igbos/Biafrans have said landlocked or no landlocked, let's have that referendum, yet you that is not landlocked breaks out in a cold sweat and sends truckloads of python dancers down to the south-east to go shoot up some agitators! What does that say about your self-confidence as against that of Ndigbo/Biafrans? In any case, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Botswana are landlocked countries, yet they beat your sealocked 'one Nigeria' in all developmental indices, so what are we saying?

You and your people are sorely mistaken, thinking that the average Yoruba person is interested in what goes on in the East.

I might make the random comment here and there on Nairaland, but that's it.

So, you thinking that we are obsessed with your activities over there is a huge fallacy.
If you think I'm lying, go out into the streets of Ibadan, Akure or Lagos and ask any Yoruba man who the governor of Anambra state is.

Unlike you that's obsessed with Tinubu.

I understand why you would think we are obsessed with you though.

Let me put it this way, a cheating husband is always the most jealous one. Decode it.

For the avoidance of doubt, no Yoruba person alive or dead will stand in your way of seceding from Nigeria.

We simply don't care. We even welcome it. That way, it'd be easy to deport you lot back to your home you are running away from.

6 Likes

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by orunto27: 4:59pm On Jan 25, 2020
Nairaland please make this into a book that we may get it to buy for future reference.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Ritchiee: 5:06pm On Jan 25, 2020
celeiyke:

Kindly go back to economics class to get schooled.
lol
When facts stare at you nakedly, you stammer even in writing.
Ibadan is more developed than the entire SE.
Do you have these in Igboland?

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by celeiyke: 6:54pm On Jan 25, 2020
Ritchiee:

lol
When facts stare at you nakedly, you stammer even in writing.
Ibadan is more developed than the entire SE.
Do you have these in Igboland?

The only developed place in Oyo state is Agodi . I know Ibadan more than U and I won't dignify u with a response
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Ritchiee: 10:26pm On Jan 25, 2020
celeiyke:

The only developed place in Oyo state is Agodi . I know Ibadan more than U and I won't dignify u with a response

shocked

I bet all the more than 10 GRAs,skyscraper, The research organisations,UI,UCH,all the malls,gardens,radio stations,TV stations,the 2 stadia and all the choice houses that are more than the ones in Igboland,the 5 mega malls etc are all situated in Agodi.

You are very rite. cheesy

Ibadan is more developed than the entire Igboland. cheesy

Ibadan also has better road network than Igboland.

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by starstaz(m): 10:02am On Jan 26, 2020
Area4Area:
Killing is killing, you killed 10 because you felt you can and if I decide to kill 10,000, would you blame me. All were done according to our abilities.

If the Onitsha, Ikwerre, Anioma etc people are Chinese, how does that add to topic?
Who majorly did the killings of the coup and who suffered most is the issue here. You be the judge

Its not an Igbo coup. Really, we don hear .

Who are the immediate beneficiary of the first coup? And whoever is still delusion that there was no link is deliberately hiding the truth.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by XANDERBOY85: 3:40pm On Jan 26, 2020
[quote author=FrLukas post=86100013][/quote]

I think at this point we need to go back to your original ill-adviced post as you're now starting to get evasive here! You initially raised points which i addressed, and you're now either outrightly denying them or trying to skirt around the main issues raised in an evasive manner!

This was your initial post:

And what are you dominating in present day Nigeria now?
Are other tribes rushing to your five states because they are the most developed in Nigeria? No. The domination Azikiwe was talking about was a political one where his people will be inserted in the civil service and also head major government parastatal as well as institutions of learning in other regions and of course ruling others in their region like he wanted to rule the Yorubas in their region. Actions are louder than words.

You mean the same bastardised exam that parents pay for expo to see the questions days before the exams? Funny. And dont mention WAEC either. Teachers help their students score high marks. It happens everywhere in Nigeria.

And if I may ask, what's chasing you from your homeland? Why do you think you can prosper everywhere else except for your homeland?

Please don't. We've read enough.

When you had the opportunity to have a secession clause in the constitution, your leader defeated the move.
Of course, you had thought to use your supposed advantage of having an upper hand in the civil service and politics to rule ALL of Nigeria.

Now that you see other ethnicities have cottoned on to your ambitions, you want out.

I don't fault that. Every group should have a right to self determination. Yet, thinking that others won't survive when you guys are the ones with the leat landmass of the three major ethnicities in Nigeria?

Landlocked as well?

Puhleeze...have your Biafra already. We will give you free trucks to help you relocate from the West, I swear.

Now in you last post you replied:

You said I asked "mockingly". That is the tone you chose to read it with. I should hardly be blamed for your state of mind.

The quote I responded to said something to the effect that apart from politics the Igbos dominated in every other aspect of the Nigerian life. So, my question was borne out rank curiosity, but since you've all been raised with a peculiar persecution complex, you had to read mockery into my post for it to make sense to you.

You are yapping about the Hausa/Fulani domination of the Nigerian space, blaming it on the Yorubas. Check out the history of Nigeria and tell us which region has been in bed longest with the Hausa/Fulani dominated North. You can start counting from Nnamdi Azikiwe through Ekwueme to your most recent abandonment your agitation for your own Republic to jump into bed with Atiku just because he dangled a Vice presidency before you.

I guess it's still Yorubas fault, right?

Azikiwe had a very good opportunity to form majority government with Awolowo who had already conceded the Prime ministerial position to Zik, only for Zik to turn around and in a baffling move and offer the Prime Ministerial position to Tafawa Balewa and settled for the less prestigious position of Governor General. Even Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana was totalled flummoxed by the senseless move. But of course, Zik did it to get back at Awo and the Yorubas.

So you see? You guys have always been contented with the second place position. Hence my question, which area you are dominating in Nigeria. Even you couldn't point to one.

No dude, your question was borne out of rank stupidity! This was the particular point i made:

And so what if Zik had the confidence in his ethnic groups ability to 'dominate' Africa through merit and taking advantage of business/economic opportunities? Igbos are a blessed people! Notice how the Sadauna was complaining about Igbos running things in the north...

Now just how the fuc/k do you misconstrue the above quote which talks of 'the ability to dominate through merit and taking advantage of business/economic opportunities' to mean me saying 'apart from politics, Igbos dominate in other aspects of the Nigerian life' as you say? Could it be you lack comprehension skills and are just good at posting empty diatribes full of sound and fury but signifying nothing?

You made mention of me wanting to blame the Yoruba for the Hausa/Fulani dominating the 'Nigerian space', and went on to say the Igbos have been in bed longest with them! Yes, of the two ethnicities in question, the Yoruba have emboldened, supported and encouraged the rampaging, bigoted and bloodthirsty Hausa/Fulani Oligarchs the most....but this is not to say the Igbo haven't done so as well! There's enough blame to go round, and unlike you, i'm not one to absolve my own ethnicity of all blame as if we're all infallible! The first 'getting in to bed' you talk of was in the first republic. Now, i can understand where Zik was coming from.....Awo engineered the cross-carpeting event in the western house of assembly by whipping up the ethnic, bigoted and tribalistic sentiments of the Yoruba members of the assembly at the time, and succeeded in bestowing on himself the singular dubious honour of being the one to introduce tribalism into Nigerian partisan-politics! These were members....adults, that made an informed choice and voted for Zik of their own free will, and then along comes Awo who persuades them to cross-carpet and come ovber to his side because Zik was not Yoruba! Like i always say, Zik was an idealist who felt Nigeria was ripe or interested in that kind of politics where ethnicity and religion would play an ever-diminishing role in partisan-politics. I personally wouldn't have been so idealistic given the realities on ground at the time, but i cut Zik some slack given the circumstances of his birth, upbringing/schooling and political tutelage in the west! Now, with the Hausa/Fulani, one thing i can't take away from them is, with them 'what you see is what you get'......they usually let you know from the get-go what they think about you and leave little room for doubt! On the whole, i'd sooner trust a Hausa/Fulani in any business or political situation than i would a Yoruba! So i can see why Zik made the choice he did!

Now concerning the second Igbo politician you made mention of....Ekwueme. You say he's another example of Igbo 'hopping into political bed' with the Hausa/Fulani. You're not looking at the bigger picture and are only picking bits of it to help with the narrative you're trying to sell! You forget that 1979 was just 9 years after the uncivil war.... a war in which Igbos/Biafrans said they wanted out of the Nigerian experiment because their lives and properties could no longer be protected and guaranteed by the Nigerian state! Nigeria (ie....Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, etc) begged to differ and went on to execute one of the bloodiest, savage and pogrom-riddled wars the 20th century had ever known! They managed to get Igbos/Biafrans back in to Nigeria against their will! We now had a 'one Nigeria' whose political-economy was controlled by the Hausa/Fulani...no thanks to the help the got from other ethnic groups LIKE THE YORUBA! Now given aforementioned, FrLukas now wants to posit that the Igbo should not have played any prominent role in the 1979 return to democracy....even when offered! You now see how dumb and hollow your argument sounds when situated within the bigger picture?

You then made mention of us abandoning our agitation for Biafra to 'hop in to bed with Atiku'! For starters, what makes you think Ndigbo 'abandoned our quest for secession'? Did you conduct a poll to ascertain majority of Ndigbo preferred voting for Atiku to secession? Now do you think Ndigbo were given the luxury by the Nigerian state of choosing between participating in the 2015 elections or referendum/secession? Because that's what your argument suggests! Also, were you not aware of Mazi Kanu advicing Igbos/Biafrans not to vote in the 2015 elections? Part of his argument was that the entire process was rigged ab-initio and that going out to vote (that's those of us that actually managed to get the ever elusive PVC) was an excercise in futility! He was later proved right!

Now i've given reasons/explanations why -on the three occassions you mentiuoned- Ndigbo 'went to political bed' with the Hausa/Fulani. Can you tell me why the Yoruba -or more specifically, Awo- went to bed with the Hausa/Fulani in the run-up to and during the civil war; in the immediate aftermath of said war; and in 2015? Awo, who said Nigeria was nothing but a 'mere geographical expression' had a window of opportunity in 1967 to either extricate his people from said 'mere geographical expression', or at the very least, dictate the terms of the 'new/workable Nigeria' he wanted to see! But what did he do? He only went and joined the very people interested in sustaining the status-quo, that's what he did! Does that make sense? Cynics would say he probably cut a deal with the Fulani Oligarchs for him to be supported to be Head of State after the war, because it doesn't make sense that a man as intelligent as Awo would help to support the very thing he railed against when he had the opportunity to change things! We see a replay of things today with Tinubu and the north! The south had the opportunity in 2015 to put the core-muslim-north in their place and make it clear to them that we're all equal stakeholders in the Nigerian experiment, but for reasons best know to the leading Yoruba leaders of thought at the time (Tinubu and his lot), they felt it was better to hand Nigeria back to the Fulani....and so we now find ourselves where we are today! Can any Yoruba (not from the Tinubu/APC bandwagon) hand-on-heart say the generality of their people are happier and faring better today than they did during the GEJ/PDP years? Yes, you're getting a Lagos-Ibadan rail line and a few other things, but ultimately, it's human beings that will use these things and you have to be alive, healthy (body and mind) and actively enegaged (school or employment) to be able to use any gov't provided infrastructure! In any case, i believe if GEJ had one a second tenure he would have faced to south more than he did in his first tenure when he was distracted by the norths antics and was trying to ingratiate himself with them for their support in 2015. However, Tinubu and his gang saw things differently, and the rest as they say in history!

I think I have answered part of this up there in the first part.

If the Hausa/Fulanis are dominating Nigerian leadership today, blame your ethnic group for always being in bed with them.

Yorubas have always been in opposition

This is the first time Yorubas would be aligning with the center.

Even when the cabal chose Obasanjo who many think is Yoruba but whose paternity is still in doubt anyway, Yorubas rejected him, but you guys voted for him massively as opposed to the true choice of Yorubas, Olu Falae.

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

You're now moving the goalposts and saying that the OBJ Igbos voted for...his paternity is in doubt! I suppose you're implying that because of this, the support Igbos gave the Yoruba on this occassion doesn't count! wink

Blaming Igbos for your woes instead of the Hausa/Fulani that annulled what was adjudged to be the freest and fairest elections Nigeria has ever witnessed (june 12 1993 elections) is nothing more than diversionary....giving a dog a bad name in order to hang it..... and akin to blaming an onlooker when you've just been beaten silly by a bully in a fight!

The first time Yoruba would be aligning with the centre was the wrong time (as we can now confirm with the benefit of hindsight)! It was done out of crass stupidity, greed and an attempt to get one over on the Igbos who you saw as having a strong voice in the GEJ admin! Your obsession with wanting to hold Ndigbo down and not wanting them to be among the power-brokers is what led to your blind support for a confirmed bigot, despot and coup-plotter! Now that the Fulani you supported in order to 'align with the centre' have taken over everything.....are dealing with all of us in the south....and are giving free reign to foreign terrorists, bandits and kidnappers to operate all over the south, we can now see where your 'sophistication' has led us! I strongly believe that had GEJ won the 2015 elections, that Fasorantis' daughter would still be alive today! This is what happens when a people are too smart for their own good!

Of course i don't exempt some greedy, efulefu Igbo elite from the tragedy that is the Buhari admin'! Their case is even worse as they're actively supporting a evil despot that doesn't value the lives of their youth...a despot that feels they're not good enough to be trusted with cerstain psoitions in gov't and the military...a despot that derisively terms them 5 percenters!

I didn't imply anything. It is a statement of fact.

Western Nigeria is the most migrated to area in all of Nigeria.

You are implying that it's because Lagos was developed as a former capital Territory. I laugh. Have you been to Ibadan before? How about Akure? How about Osogbo? Every nook and cranny of Yorubaland, you'll find a sizeable number of your kinsmen living there.

I know you feel uncomfortable with that information, probably because your region isn't so welcoming. You don't sell land to strangers yet your people buy land and build their houses in the West.

Even you don't want to stay back there. You only go home for Christmas to show off your bling bling that you bought in the West. Am I right or not?

Your above quote is disingenuous at best! For you to sit there and posit that the economic traction and prominence Lagos has today (which in turn is spilling into Ogun state due to land constraints and Lagos' high cost of living and doing business) has nothing to do with the Nigerian political-economy in place from the late 60s to date....thereby infering that it's all thanks to the ingenuity and business acumen of the Yoruba, says all that needs to be said about your two-faced, deceitful and hypocritical nature! Besides not giving recognition to said political-economy, you also overlook the contributions of other ethnicities (Igbo, Hausa/Fulani, Ijaw, Uhrobo, Itsekiri, Akwa-Cross, Edo, etc) that made Lagos (and by extension, Ogun state) what it is today! Way to go mate!

PART 1
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by XANDERBOY85: 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2020
[quote author=FrLukas post=86100013][/quote]

PART 2

You were denied an international airport. Then when you were granted one, your sister, Stella Oduah who was the minister of aviation at the time decided to give you, her people, a substandard airport and diverted most of the money into her pocket. Today that airport has been closed because pilots have refused to land there citing the worst runway ever. Lemme guess, the Yorubas are at fault for this.

Your mind can't grasp the fact that you can't have a seaport if you don't have a sea on any of your borders. Mention one Igbo state that isn't landlocked and has access to the ocean.

But you want the federal government to drag the ocean to your doormouth so that you can have a sea port.

Or maybe it's still the Yoruba's fault that you are landlocked.

You say we denied the Igbo presidency. How can that be so when the Igbos themselves have always aligned with the power at the center?

How did the Yorubas deny you the presidency? Can you explain that dull notion for me please?

Azikiwe could have been prime minister, but to spite the Yorubas he gave it on a platter to the Fulanis. Ojukwu came back to contest for President but since you are slaves to the Fulanis, you voted for Shagari because he gave your son Ekwueme the VP slot.

There were at least 2 to 3 Igbo presidential contestants in the last elections but you lot flocked behind Atiku another Fulani man because the Fulani ass that you've been licking since independence is very sweet ba?

See your life? And you still come here and spew utter rubbish.

Dude, this narrative you Igbo haters try to sell that Senator Stella Oduah gave Igbos a 'substandard' airport and stole the money meant for it is exactly what we mean when we talk of the misinformation, propaganda and downright lies emanating from the Lagos-Ibadan expressway media hacks!

I dare you to post a link to a news report/s confirming Princess Stella was convicted in court for stealing public funds meant for the Aviation sector she oversaw as minister! The fact she was hounded out of office when the weak-willed GEJ caved in to your rabble-rousing, lies and demands for her head on a platter, and was then not able to finish implementing the vision she had for the avaiation sector (AIIA, Enugu inclusive) is not what you can use to then blame her for the shotcomings in the sector after her tenure! You engineer her sack, and then have the temerity to point out what was left undone after her departure? Dude, at least have some self-respect! Haba!

The issue of the runway has been addressed by me in previous threads. I believe the primary blame for this should go to the ministry quality-control officials who probably colluded with the contractors or were not sufficiently experienced enough to know when standards were not being adhered to! Also. the topography of the area which led to flooding could have been a contributory factor in the runway failing so soon after it was first rehabilitated! I would imagine that had the runway showed signs of failing so soon after rehabilitation, and had she still been in office at the time, the contractors would have been ordered back to site immediately...and not when it had almost totally collapsed as was allowed to happen under the Buhari/Hadi-Sirika admin'!

What i discovered with Princess Stella is that during her short stint as minister, she was trying to touch, gradually, all sections/regions of the county so no one feels left out....this she was doing with the little funds the ministry had at its disposal! This stands in stark contrast to what we see today, where Buhari and his ministers concentrate mainly on certain sections of the country found not to have given him 5%! He only turns to the neglected sections only when its time for campaigns or when the leaders of the section/region concerned come to Abuja to beg him! He loves it when Igbos have to beg him for anything....it helps to reinforce his belief Igbos are the 'conquered ones' while his Fulani ethnicty are the 'owners and controllers' of Nigeria and its destiny!

If anyone should be blamed for the shortcomings due to misgovernance that were found in the aviation sector after the GEJ admin', it should be Chidoka. Though i'm cutting him some slack because his tenure was so short! However, he did well in enthroning systems and procedures which were hitherto lacking in the industry!

Dude, Igboland is not landlocked! Ogbuakwu in Abia state has direct access to the sea and a seaport can be built there! Sure it would cost a bit more seing as the channel may have to be widened and/or dredged, but the facts as they stand today -esp' when you see what's been done with man-made waterways like the Panama and Suez canal- is that Igboland has access to the sea! I know given you hatred for Igbos and desire to see us face economic challenges, you'd be furious about this fact....but facts are facts mate!

The fact Igbos vote for a northerner....or Fulani to be specific, even while a Igbo is also running for the same office is called tactical voting devoid of sentiments! Or you want Igbos to vote for one of theirs that doesn't stand any realistic chance of winning, thereby giving a known bigot and Igbo hater like Buhari an easier ride and splitting the votes of his nearest challenger? Dude, what do you take us for?

You read to respond not to understand. You have a shitty comprehension skill.

Go back and read that portion very well and point out where I said Igbos are the only ones that cheat in exams.

Since you have very low comprehension skills, I'll spell it out here. Exam in Nigeria is not a true test of a student's ability. Whether you agree or not, that's the simple truth. So saying that you top JAMB scores is rubbish.

Dude, this was your initial reply when i asked why Igbos have the highest cut-off marks for JAMB:

Methinks you're the one with low comphension skills....either that, or you're being your usual evasive and dishonest self! Now if cheating in exams is a nationwide malaise as you posit, does this now explain why Igbos have the highest cut-off marks in these exams? We're assuming going by your assertion that you agree the conditions are the same nationwide! How then do you account for the fact one section/ethnicity has cut-off marks highers than others? You've still not answered that question....or maybe you're incapable of answering it!

You want an answer to this? Go and read the original post of this thread. I won't repeat facts for you.

Asking me silly questions as to why the secession clause hasn't been inserted since then.

Why don't you ask yourself

1. Which region has the most members of parliament among the West, East, South and North?

2. If the North is dominating in politics, why should they support secession?

This is exactly the same reason why your Zik didn't support secession in the first place. He was so sure the Igbos would dominate others in Nigeria, and so he opposed it.

See? The shoe is on the other foot now. So enjoy it.

Your argument here is at best quite perverse and its worrying to see a southerner hold this view!

So because the north have rigged to political process and now 'dominating politics' its ok for you to throw in the towel and accept the status-quo as it is! If your argument is that the Yoruba don't want secession, then fair enough....what then do they want, and now that you've 'aligned yourselves with the centre' as you previously posited, how come you've not got the north/Hausa-Fulani to agree to your terms for a Nigeria that you would term to be fair to all sections and be one you would be happy to bequeth to you childrena and grandchildren? Could it be that you've signed up to a arrangement/partnership in which you have no say and are now treated as inconsequential? You said yourself that the Yoruba are not playing 'opposition politics' for the first time since independence, so that would mean you're now partners with the Hausa/Fulani abi? Now can you say these past 5 years you've been 'calling the shots' that you've been able to restructure Nigeria to the country of your dreams....since you don't want secession? I think we all know the answer to that question!

Your talk of 'the shoe being on the other foot now, and so Ndigbo should enjoy it' is typical 'crabs-in-a-barrel' talk as Ndigbo are not experiencing or going through anything the Yoruba are not in Nigeria today!

You want to hear "kpim" from our end when you haven't sowed "kpim" here? Na Yoruba people send you message? Abegi.

When Nnamdi was spewing his hate propaganda against Yorubas, all of you were jubilating and frothing at the mouth with joy. You hailed him as your Messiah. Now you're crying with mucus running from your nose into your mouth like a child whose piece of bread was snatched, blaming Yorubas for not hearing "kpim" from their side. No be only "kpim". Na "kpam" you go hear.

Mazi Kanu is an apostle of the truth Nigeria has been trying to ignore or sweep under the carpet! He is not perfect, and may go a bit overboard in his rhetoric sometimes, but i susbcribe to much of what he says on current ongoings in Nigeria! In any event, he and IPOB have struck up a more conciliatory tone of late...esp' with the Yoruba, and that is where our focus should be...not what he may have said in anger in the past! After all even Awo has said or done things which he hasn't apologised for. How do you want posterity to judge him?

ou and your people are sorely mistaken, thinking that the average Yoruba person is interested in what goes on in the East.

I might make the random comment here and there on Nairaland, but that's it.

So, you thinking that we are obsessed with your activities over there is a huge fallacy.
If you think I'm lying, go out into the streets of Ibadan, Akure or Lagos and ask any Yoruba man who the governor of Anambra state is.

Unlike you that's obsessed with Tinubu.

I understand why you would think we are obsessed with you though.

Let me put it this way, a cheating husband is always the most jealous one. Decode it.

For the avoidance of doubt, no Yoruba person alive or dead will stand in your way of seceding from Nigeria.

We simply don't care. We even welcome it. That way, it'd be easy to deport you lot back to your home you are running away from.

Do i or Ndigbo think 'the average Yoruba person is interested in what goes on in the east'? Certainly not! smiley But insofar as you're 'aligned with the centre' and are no more playing 'opposition politics' as you yourself posited earlier, and insofar as Ndigbo are still part of Nigeria, it stands to reason that our paths are bound to cross every now and again! An ideal situation would be: you go your way and i go my way ( à la secession....or even restructuring as an alternative) and then we both wouldn't have to put up with each other, wouldn't you say? smiley

The fact it appears to you that we're obsessed with you leader Tinubu is just down to the stranglehold he has over Lagos politics....a state that belongs to ALL Nigerians and which our commonwealth was used to develop! You can't expect Ndigbo not to mention Tinubu given the antics he got up to in Lagos during the last general elections in 2019! It's common knowledge, and was even admitted on national TV last week (in the height of the Amutekum saga wink ) by the leader of Miyetti-Allah that Tinubu sent out his thugs to go and disrupt voting in Igbo dominated areas! Also, Tinubu helped to prop up the disaster in Aso Rock which is today not just affecting Ndigbo negatively, bt all Nigerians in general....including the Yoruba! So pray, tell me how you expect Ndigbo not to have strong opinions on such a individual?

Cheers mate! smiley
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Deadlytruth(m): 10:00am On Jul 29, 2020
remonics:
God bless you for this piece. This is nothing but the truth. After the general election of 1959 the North needed 172 seats out of the 312 seats in order to rule Nigeria. They decided to form a coalition with zik who gladly accepted. Earlier on awolowo had approached zik for a coalition which zik agreed on ,only for him to later reneged on it. To be truthful awolowo started tribal politics in the west and zik felt betrayed,only for him to take his pound of f!esh in 1959. Zik thought that alliance with the gullible north is better than the wise west. Thus the marriage of two strangers. Ironically the region being marginalised today is the remote cause of what Nigeria is experiencing today.

Awolowo was a die hard apostle of federalism and federalism is a system which, in principle, seeks to give every tribe the right and power to assert themselves and decide their own destiny within the larger national framework. So federalism naturally has some trappings of tribalism. This is what many accusers of Awolowo of tribalism don't understand.
What Awolowo actually fought against in Zik's attempted political incursion into the Western Region was the idea of someone from one region going to rule another region which he was not a native of. The regions were created in the first instance by the colonial authorities as a response to the demands for self governance by the various Nigerian peoples. Therefore Zik's attempt to rule the Western Region was a violation of the essence of the creating the regions. In addition, Awolowo wasn't really against a non-Yoruba ruling the Western Region. Rather he was against having a non-native of the region occupying the seat of power in Ibadan. Mind you that there were non-Yoruba tribes like Binis, Urhobos, Esans, Etsakos, Itsekiris, Isokos, Ijaws, Etunos, Unemes, Okpameris, and even the Igboid Aniomas none of whose prospect to rule the region Awolowo ever frowned at let alone resist.
We are all asking for a return to true federalism today and I guess we have all become tribalists by the same scale we misinterpret Awolowo's pro-federalism advocacy as tribalistic leanings?
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by duwdu: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2020
doclatom:
� Found this interesting

Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance.

Do you know that when Tafawa Balewa was Prime Minister of Nigeria;

Chief of Army Staff was from SE
Chief of Naval Staff was from SE
IG of Police was from SE
Chief of Defence Staff was from SE
Internal Affairs Minister SE
External Affairs Minister SE
Education Minister South SE
Many other key ministries to SE
Parliament President SE
Unilag VC from SE
The University of Ibadan VC from SE
North resisted same at ABU!

Still, there was dissatisfaction by SE, the officers from the region killed this same Balewa!!!!

Out of all the most senior officers in Nigeria, SE has 37, none was killed. 8 from the north, all of them were killed. 10 from the west, 2 were killed.

Then Ironsi imposed a unitary system of government on the country so that everything can belong to a region who snatched it!

We must know our history so that when we want to make corrections, we will not end up concealing the truth. This has nothing to do with tribalism but everything to do with the truth.....at times when lies litter the streets. There is a tendency to think those are truths and facts.

*What follows are documented facts that can be cross-checked for authenticity!"*

Thou shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

*“Prof. Ben Nwabueze was the man who drafted the constitution that took away powers from regions and handed it to the central government because his brother Aguiyi Ironsi was the head of state then. Today, he is shouting restructuring that he helped to destroy. We won’t forget.”*.

WHAT BIAFRANS WILL NEVER TELL YOU ABOUT THE REAL CAUSE OF THEIR WOES IN NIGERIA TODAY:

The Igbo man is known to enjoy blaming the Hausa fulanis, Yorubas and indeed every other Nigerian tribe and Lord Luggard/Britain for their seeming claim of being in third class citizen status in Nigeria. In their perpetual attempts to play the victim card, they recount the political events of Nigeria from 1914 to the present in a half-baked and highly selective manner which cleverly avoids the mention of the roles played by their elite who by all natural laws of judgement were actually responsible for the woes that befell not only the Igbo race but the entire Nigeria nation. The story told in the post above is one of such selective and distorted accounts of history which the average Igbo man is fond of narrating.

However, the national archives have the complete and unedited history of Nigeria regarding the political events beginning way back from even before 1914. I will therefore proceed to furnish my readers with the complete story for all to read and be endowed with enough facts so as to judge and act from an informed position.

Shortly after the 1914 Amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorates, it started getting clear that the country was bound to fail as the amalgamation in question was done with colonial fiat without the consent and consensus of the different tribes which were over 300. This prompted the political leaders to start asking for de-amalgamation so as to forestall the future danger which the forced amalgamation portended.

To that end, Ahmadu Bello, speaking on behalf of the Northern protectorate in 1944 described the amalgamation as "The mistake of 1914 which if allowed to remain will ultimately lead to unstoppable bloodshed and a failed country".
Awolowo, speaking on behalf of the Yorubas and Western minorities, described Nigeria as a mere geographical expression not qualified to be called a country let alone a nation. Awolowo added that if the amalgamation could not be reversed, then Nigeria should be structured as a strictly federal state so as to enable each tribe enjoy autonomy this freedom from being dominated by any one single tribe.

But Nnamdi Azikiwe, speaking for the Igbos, denounced Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello, terming them ethnic champions. He accused them of nursing a sectional agenda against the unity of Nigeria, and he declared further that the Unity of Nigeria was non-negotiable.

After moving the motion for independece in 1953, Anthony Enahoro proposed that a secession clause should be incorporated into the future constitution of Nigeria so as to give legal backing for any tribe to peacefully exit the forced union if it feels marginalized in future. According to Enahoro, such provision in our constitution would instill in all Nigeria's future leaders the fear of the consequences of misgovernance. But Azikiwe, speaking on behalf of Igbos, rose against him in the parliament and labelled him an agent of disunity, and enemy of Nigeria. At a later date, Awolowo too made a case for secession clause, but Azikiwe again resisted him and instigated the colonial authorities to threaten him and Enahoro with charges of treasonable felony if they didn't stop proposing secession clause for the future constitution. While Azikiwe did all these, Igbos cheered and urged him on because they felt the future Nigeria was theirs to dominate and lord it over every other tribe

Before independece, Tafawa Balewa too had in a public speech described Nigeria as a British experiment and Nigeria's unity as a British intention which Nigerians themselves don't believe in. But Azikiwe kicked and demonized him too. Had Azikiwe co-operated with Enahoro, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa about the secession clause, Nigeria perhaps would not have been this misgoverned.

For those in doubt, here is a link of one of the numerous instances in which Nnamdi Azikiwe fought against the secession clause proposal for the future Nigeria constitution.

It should be noted that there were many Igbo members of the parliament in which Azikiwe fought against Awolowo's secession clause proposal in the link above, but not a single one of them rose against Azikiwe or condemned him.

Igbos initially never wanted to hear anything like secession in Nigeria because they so much believed, though falsely, that they were the most educated tribe. (The first Nigerian tribe to produce a university graduate is the Binis). As an evidence of Igbo domination agenda hence their initial resistance to the idea of secession; here are some quotes:

"From all indications, the god of us Igbos have destined us to rule the whole of Africa"..... Nnamdi Azikiwe (1945).

"It is getting clearer each day that Igbo domination of Nigeria is just a question of time"... Oscar Onyeamma. (1949). Anascopeterson: As at 1900, the whole of the present Benue State, Kogi East Senatorial District and some southern parts of Taraba State called Munchi District back then; were all in the Southern Protectorate. Whoever doubts this should consult MacMillan Atlas for secondary schools in Nigeria. With that situation the South had a higher population than the North hence always had an upper hand in any democratic bargain.

But as at the early fifties when the regions were being created, common sense dictated clearly that these areas should fall in the future Eastern Region. But against common sense, the colonial masters decided to gerrymander them into the Northern Region. While they did that, Azikiwe who was supposed to be in Enugu fighting against it as the leader of the East, was far away in Ibadan struggling with Awolowo to rule the Western Region and also playing the spoiler role against Awolowo's attempts to have Kwara and present Kogi Yorubas carved into the Western Region from the North which was already too large by landmass.

Anascopeterson: While he abandoned his burning house and was far away in Ibadan struggling against Awolowo for his own (Awolowo's) region, Igbos saw absolutely nothing wrong with that. Rather they applauded him as a nationalist. A nationalist whose house was burning yet busy chasing rats in a far away land.
Anascopeterson: When opinions became unanimous that Lord Luggard and his government must be forced out of Nigeria and indeed the whole of Africa, it was still the Igbos that frustrated the attempts. Here is how:

In 1948, Anthony Enahoro organized an anti-colonization symposium in Lagos for which Azikiwe and some other Igbos had agreed to deliver the keynote address. But when the D-day came, Azikiwe was nowhere to be found as he deliberately disappeared into thin air for fear of being arrested and dealt with by Lord Luggard. Anthony Enahoro then quickly replaced Azikiwe with another person who did the job improptu but perfectly well as he lambasted and lampooned Lord Luggard and the British Government. However, the British soldiers invaded the symposium venue, arrested the speaker and Enahoro and jailed them for treasonable felony. Ironically, the next day Azikiwe came out of hiding and granted a radio interview in which he accused Enahoro and the other organizers of suffering from youthful exhuberance.

On regaining his freedom few weeks later and being told of Azikiwe's radio interview, Enahoro resigned from his post as Editor of Azikiwe's newspaper - The West African Pilot.

Then he wrote a book titled "Nnamdi Azikiwe: Sinner of Saint". After launching the book, Enahoro left Azikiwe's party - the NCNC, and moved over to Awolowo's Action Group.

Anascopeterson: The first military coup in Nigeria was carried out by majority of Igbo army officers. That was the coup that truncated democracy just six years post Independence and led to a succession of coups which put the country on the reverse gear for 33 years.

Through that first coup, those Igbo army officers who accused the politicians and government of the day of monumental corruption, killed the political leaders of the Northern, Western and Midwestern Regions but allowed all Igbo political figures to escape by tipping them off prior to the D-Day. In addition to the killing of political figures, they also killed a total of 27 innocent high ranking military officers from every region except their Eastern Region.

In the end an Igbo man called Aguiyi Ironsi, who was supposed to have been killed alongside other military officers, ended up becoming the new military ruler of Nigeria. Rather than immediately arrest and punish the coup plotters, he kept them in detention where they were treated as heroes. This was actually what sowed the seed for the eventual Biafra War. On the 23rd of February 1966 (i.e. a month and 8 days after the first coup porpularly but wrongly known as Nzeogwu coup, an Ijaw born Army officer called Isaac Adaka Boro who hailed from Kaima town of present Bayelsa State, declared the secession of the Niger Delta Republic in an attempt to free his Ijaw people from the monumental marginalization they had been suffering under Igbos in the old Eastern Region.
But Aguiyi Ironsi immediately ordered Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu to arrest him and hand him over to the military high command under him in Lagos. Ojukwu went all out against Isaac Adaka Boro with federal military might and within 12 fighting days killed 150 Isaac Boro's soldiers, arrested him, stripped him naked, and had him driven to Lagos and handed to Ironsi who immediately charged him to court and within two months secured against him a conviction of treasonable felony for which he was sentenced to death by hanging fixed for December that year by the Supreme Court. His 'crime' was that he declared secession of The Niger Delta Republic from Nigeria. Meanwhile the Igbo coupists who shed innocent blood of other tribes and even sprayed bullets into the bellies of the pregnant wives of Ahmadu Bello and Brigadier Shodeinde were not charged to court or arraigned before any military tribunal.

Isaac Adaka Boro was in detention waiting for December to come for him to join his ancestors. But God so kind, a revenge coup happened on July 29 by Northern soldiers and Ironsi was overthrown and killed. Gowon took over and released Isaac Adaka Boro unconditionally, reinstated him into the Army with his previous rank.

Then on May 30, 1967, Ojukwu too declared secession of Biafra Republic from Nigeria and without consulting or apologising to Isaac Boro, drew a Biafra map which included the very areas that made up Isaac Adaka Boro's earlier declared Niger Delta Republic for which he fought against him and killed his soldiers. Seeing such level of arrogance in Ojukwu, Isaac Boro asked Gowon to provide arms for him to crush Biafra by fighting on the Nigerian side in vengeance for Ojukwu's frustration of his own secession declaration 15 months earlier.
Isaac Boro, as an Ijaw man conversant with the waterways, led the Nigeria Army through the coastal areas into Igboland to finish off thousands of Ojukwu's soldiers thus leading to the crushing defeat of Biafra. But today, Igbos accuse Ijaws of betraying them in the war. But from the facts as above, who really betrayed the other in all honesty? Be the judge. Why Gowon fought against Ojukwu's declaration of Biafra was as follows:

After Ironsi and Ojukwu successfully crushed Isaac Boro's Niger Delta Republic declaration, Ironsi immediately proceeded to promulgate the Anti-secession Decree which made the mere mention of secession from Nigeria punishable with death by hanging. Ojukwu openly supported and endorsed the decree despite disapproval of it by the general public. So when Ojukwu later declared Biafra secession, he was reminded of the Anti-secession Decree made by him and his brother Ironsi.

Deadly Truth: Igbos frequently reference Aburi Accord to create the impression that the rest of Nigerian tribes don't honour agreements. This is a very dishonest narrative from Igbos.

First and foremost Aburi Accord was organized by soldiers and unelected civil servants who should not participate in political exercises like making laws due to the civil service anonymity principle. Secondly, those civil servants and military men in attendance were not elected by their federal constituencies to the Aburi summit. In the philosophy of democracy the only universally acceptable way of making laws is through duly elected representatives of the people. But in going to Aburi the peoples' representatives duly elected in the 1965 elections were all sidelined for soldiers to hijack the process. Where on earth do soldiers make laws for the people? Rather, the civilian populace makes laws that guide the military. Aburi Accord therefore had no seal of the people's sovereignty hence it was an illegality which shouldn't have been allowed to stand.

Thirdly, in 1957, Nigerians from all federal constituencies democratically elected representatives whom they sponsored to London, paid their flight tickets and hotel accommodation for the Independence constitutional conference. Those representatives all resolved and agreed on federalism marked by regional autonomy and resource control in the Independence Constitution which they brought back home and everyone accepted it.

In that constitution, Nigerians all agreed that on no account shall the military take over power. It was also clearly stated in it that ammendments to it could be done by only democratically elected representatives.

That constitution was the first ever agreement between all Nigerians. On the day of his inauguration as the Army GoC, Aguiyi Ironsi stood before the whole world and with his own mouth swore to protect and defend that sovereign Independence constitution regardless of the circumstances that may later arise. But just six years after he manufactured an excuse to clinch power against the clear provisions of that constitution we all agreed to, unilaterally began to amend its provisions with his very offensive Decrees, and ended up dismantling the federalism and resource control therein, and ultimately subverted that constitution we all painstakingly sacrificed to draft. That was the height of Irresponsibility and the dishonoring of sacred agreement. That was how Igbos breached the first agreement, all Nigerians, ever all mutually consented to, thus laying the foundation for violation of future agreements.

So Aburi Accord was only treated exactly the same way Igbos treated the Independence constitution agreement.
Anascopeterson: Obasanjo removed history from the school curriculum hence the reason why many of what we know of the eventualities in Biafra war were altered to suite their narratives.

Reference worthy, IMHO.

P34c3
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Dedetwo(m): 12:27pm On Jul 29, 2020
FrLukas:

This is silly. They cannot feed themselves how?

They had the groundnut pyramids.

Till today majority of the food products enjoyed by Nigeria comes from the North.

In fact before the incoming or the colonialists, the Yorubas had been trading with the North.

So what do you mean by the North couldn't feed itself? I'm confused here. angry

Please start a real talk of disintegration of the shithole called Nigeria and watch the section of the country that will begin rioting and shivering. Are you a learner? Why did you think northern region of Nigeria initiated war in 1967? Ndigbo and Biafrans will never go to war because northern region wants to Niger and Chad. And definitely Ndigbo and Biafrans cannot of dream to war if Yari.ba wants to form a country with Benin Republic. I state unequivocally that northern region and southwestern region of Nigeria will die of hypertension the moment Ndigbo and Biafras actualize independent nation.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Deadlytruth(m): 4:05pm On Jul 29, 2020
antadiop2:

God bless

https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2017/06/25/my-opposition-to-secession-zik/

My opposition to secession-Zik
Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:28 pm

By Nnamdi Azikiwe

When the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual.

That was when we began to use that expression – ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ – and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.

The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level.

So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will. He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded.

Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86 in our constitution that if any region or state should secede, then it will be an act of treason

We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle – he was really an arbiter – that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.

Also read Why Awolowo did not make West secede

The North (NPC) supported Action Group. The question was then: Should we have secession? The Colonial Office came to our rescue. You know, the usual principle of Britain – ‘divide and rule’ (laughs) but this time, it was in our favour. So, the colonial office backed us.

Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86 in our constitution that if any region or state should secede, then it will be an act of treason and that was what led to this war, because Col. Ojukwu seceded and so violated the constitution.

— Excerpt: Nnamdi Azikiwe’s interview with New Nigeria in 1975

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 29, 2020
See history
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by gawu1: 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2020
doclatom:
� Found this interesting

Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance.

Do you know that when Tafawa Balewa was Prime Minister of Nigeria;

Chief of Army Staff was from SE
Chief of Naval Staff was from SE
IG of Police was from SE
Chief of Defence Staff was from SE
Internal Affairs Minister SE
External Affairs Minister SE
Education Minister South SE
Many other key ministries to SE
Parliament President SE
Unilag VC from SE
The University of Ibadan VC from SE
North resisted same at ABU!

Still, there was dissatisfaction by SE, the officers from the region killed this same Balewa!!!!

Out of all the most senior officers in Nigeria, SE has 37, none was killed. 8 from the north, all of them were killed. 10 from the west, 2 were killed.

Then Ironsi imposed a unitary system of government on the country so that everything can belong to a region who snatched it!

We must know our history so that when we want to make corrections, we will not end up concealing the truth. This has nothing to do with tribalism but everything to do with the truth.....at times when lies litter the streets. There is a tendency to think those are truths and facts.

*What follows are documented facts that can be cross-checked for authenticity!"*

Thou shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

*“Prof. Ben Nwabueze was the man who drafted the constitution that took away powers from regions and handed it to the central government because his brother Aguiyi Ironsi was the head of state then. Today, he is shouting restructuring that he helped to destroy. We won’t forget.”*.

WHAT BIAFRANS WILL NEVER TELL YOU ABOUT THE REAL CAUSE OF THEIR WOES IN NIGERIA TODAY:

The Igbo man is known to enjoy blaming the Hausa fulanis, Yorubas and indeed every other Nigerian tribe and Lord Luggard/Britain for their seeming claim of being in third class citizen status in Nigeria. In their perpetual attempts to play the victim card, they recount the political events of Nigeria from 1914 to the present in a half-baked and highly selective manner which cleverly avoids the mention of the roles played by their elite who by all natural laws of judgement were actually responsible for the woes that befell not only the Igbo race but the entire Nigeria nation. The story told in the post above is one of such selective and distorted accounts of history which the average Igbo man is fond of narrating.

However, the national archives have the complete and unedited history of Nigeria regarding the political events beginning way back from even before 1914. I will therefore proceed to furnish my readers with the complete story for all to read and be endowed with enough facts so as to judge and act from an informed position.

Shortly after the 1914 Amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorates, it started getting clear that the country was bound to fail as the amalgamation in question was done with colonial fiat without the consent and consensus of the different tribes which were over 300. This prompted the political leaders to start asking for de-amalgamation so as to forestall the future danger which the forced amalgamation portended.

To that end, Ahmadu Bello, speaking on behalf of the Northern protectorate in 1944 described the amalgamation as "The mistake of 1914 which if allowed to remain will ultimately lead to unstoppable bloodshed and a failed country".
Awolowo, speaking on behalf of the Yorubas and Western minorities, described Nigeria as a mere geographical expression not qualified to be called a country let alone a nation. Awolowo added that if the amalgamation could not be reversed, then Nigeria should be structured as a strictly federal state so as to enable each tribe enjoy autonomy this freedom from being dominated by any one single tribe.

But Nnamdi Azikiwe, speaking for the Igbos, denounced Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello, terming them ethnic champions. He accused them of nursing a sectional agenda against the unity of Nigeria, and he declared further that the Unity of Nigeria was non-negotiable.

After moving the motion for independece in 1953, Anthony Enahoro proposed that a secession clause should be incorporated into the future constitution of Nigeria so as to give legal backing for any tribe to peacefully exit the forced union if it feels marginalized in future. According to Enahoro, such provision in our constitution would instill in all Nigeria's future leaders the fear of the consequences of misgovernance. But Azikiwe, speaking on behalf of Igbos, rose against him in the parliament and labelled him an agent of disunity, and enemy of Nigeria. At a later date, Awolowo too made a case for secession clause, but Azikiwe again resisted him and instigated the colonial authorities to threaten him and Enahoro with charges of treasonable felony if they didn't stop proposing secession clause for the future constitution. While Azikiwe did all these, Igbos cheered and urged him on because they felt the future Nigeria was theirs to dominate and lord it over every other tribe

Before independece, Tafawa Balewa too had in a public speech described Nigeria as a British experiment and Nigeria's unity as a British intention which Nigerians themselves don't believe in. But Azikiwe kicked and demonized him too. Had Azikiwe co-operated with Enahoro, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa about the secession clause, Nigeria perhaps would not have been this misgoverned.

For those in doubt, here is a link of one of the numerous instances in which Nnamdi Azikiwe fought against the secession clause proposal for the future Nigeria constitution.

It should be noted that there were many Igbo members of the parliament in which Azikiwe fought against Awolowo's secession clause proposal in the link above, but not a single one of them rose against Azikiwe or condemned him.

Igbos initially never wanted to hear anything like secession in Nigeria because they so much believed, though falsely, that they were the most educated tribe. (The first Nigerian tribe to produce a university graduate is the Binis). As an evidence of Igbo domination agenda hence their initial resistance to the idea of secession; here are some quotes:

"From all indications, the god of us Igbos have destined us to rule the whole of Africa"..... Nnamdi Azikiwe (1945).

"It is getting clearer each day that Igbo domination of Nigeria is just a question of time"... Oscar Onyeamma. (1949). Anascopeterson: As at 1900, the whole of the present Benue State, Kogi East Senatorial District and some southern parts of Taraba State called Munchi District back then; were all in the Southern Protectorate. Whoever doubts this should consult MacMillan Atlas for secondary schools in Nigeria. With that situation the South had a higher population than the North hence always had an upper hand in any democratic bargain.

But as at the early fifties when the regions were being created, common sense dictated clearly that these areas should fall in the future Eastern Region. But against common sense, the colonial masters decided to gerrymander them into the Northern Region. While they did that, Azikiwe who was supposed to be in Enugu fighting against it as the leader of the East, was far away in Ibadan struggling with Awolowo to rule the Western Region and also playing the spoiler role against Awolowo's attempts to have Kwara and present Kogi Yorubas carved into the Western Region from the North which was already too large by landmass.

Anascopeterson: While he abandoned his burning house and was far away in Ibadan struggling against Awolowo for his own (Awolowo's) region, Igbos saw absolutely nothing wrong with that. Rather they applauded him as a nationalist. A nationalist whose house was burning yet busy chasing rats in a far away land.
Anascopeterson: When opinions became unanimous that Lord Luggard and his government must be forced out of Nigeria and indeed the whole of Africa, it was still the Igbos that frustrated the attempts. Here is how:

In 1948, Anthony Enahoro organized an anti-colonization symposium in Lagos for which Azikiwe and some other Igbos had agreed to deliver the keynote address. But when the D-day came, Azikiwe was nowhere to be found as he deliberately disappeared into thin air for fear of being arrested and dealt with by Lord Luggard. Anthony Enahoro then quickly replaced Azikiwe with another person who did the job improptu but perfectly well as he lambasted and lampooned Lord Luggard and the British Government. However, the British soldiers invaded the symposium venue, arrested the speaker and Enahoro and jailed them for treasonable felony. Ironically, the next day Azikiwe came out of hiding and granted a radio interview in which he accused Enahoro and the other organizers of suffering from youthful exhuberance.

On regaining his freedom few weeks later and being told of Azikiwe's radio interview, Enahoro resigned from his post as Editor of Azikiwe's newspaper - The West African Pilot.

Then he wrote a book titled "Nnamdi Azikiwe: Sinner of Saint". After launching the book, Enahoro left Azikiwe's party - the NCNC, and moved over to Awolowo's Action Group.

Anascopeterson: The first military coup in Nigeria was carried out by majority of Igbo army officers. That was the coup that truncated democracy just six years post Independence and led to a succession of coups which put the country on the reverse gear for 33 years.

Through that first coup, those Igbo army officers who accused the politicians and government of the day of monumental corruption, killed the political leaders of the Northern, Western and Midwestern Regions but allowed all Igbo political figures to escape by tipping them off prior to the D-Day. In addition to the killing of political figures, they also killed a total of 27 innocent high ranking military officers from every region except their Eastern Region.

In the end an Igbo man called Aguiyi Ironsi, who was supposed to have been killed alongside other military officers, ended up becoming the new military ruler of Nigeria. Rather than immediately arrest and punish the coup plotters, he kept them in detention where they were treated as heroes. This was actually what sowed the seed for the eventual Biafra War. On the 23rd of February 1966 (i.e. a month and 8 days after the first coup porpularly but wrongly known as Nzeogwu coup, an Ijaw born Army officer called Isaac Adaka Boro who hailed from Kaima town of present Bayelsa State, declared the secession of the Niger Delta Republic in an attempt to free his Ijaw people from the monumental marginalization they had been suffering under Igbos in the old Eastern Region.
But Aguiyi Ironsi immediately ordered Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu to arrest him and hand him over to the military high command under him in Lagos. Ojukwu went all out against Isaac Adaka Boro with federal military might and within 12 fighting days killed 150 Isaac Boro's soldiers, arrested him, stripped him naked, and had him driven to Lagos and handed to Ironsi who immediately charged him to court and within two months secured against him a conviction of treasonable felony for which he was sentenced to death by hanging fixed for December that year by the Supreme Court. His 'crime' was that he declared secession of The Niger Delta Republic from Nigeria. Meanwhile the Igbo coupists who shed innocent blood of other tribes and even sprayed bullets into the bellies of the pregnant wives of Ahmadu Bello and Brigadier Shodeinde were not charged to court or arraigned before any military tribunal.

Isaac Adaka Boro was in detention waiting for December to come for him to join his ancestors. But God so kind, a revenge coup happened on July 29 by Northern soldiers and Ironsi was overthrown and killed. Gowon took over and released Isaac Adaka Boro unconditionally, reinstated him into the Army with his previous rank.

Then on May 30, 1967, Ojukwu too declared secession of Biafra Republic from Nigeria and without consulting or apologising to Isaac Boro, drew a Biafra map which included the very areas that made up Isaac Adaka Boro's earlier declared Niger Delta Republic for which he fought against him and killed his soldiers. Seeing such level of arrogance in Ojukwu, Isaac Boro asked Gowon to provide arms for him to crush Biafra by fighting on the Nigerian side in vengeance for Ojukwu's frustration of his own secession declaration 15 months earlier.
Isaac Boro, as an Ijaw man conversant with the waterways, led the Nigeria Army through the coastal areas into Igboland to finish off thousands of Ojukwu's soldiers thus leading to the crushing defeat of Biafra. But today, Igbos accuse Ijaws of betraying them in the war. But from the facts as above, who really betrayed the other in all honesty? Be the judge. Why Gowon fought against Ojukwu's declaration of Biafra was as follows:

After Ironsi and Ojukwu successfully crushed Isaac Boro's Niger Delta Republic declaration, Ironsi immediately proceeded to promulgate the Anti-secession Decree which made the mere mention of secession from Nigeria punishable with death by hanging. Ojukwu openly supported and endorsed the decree despite disapproval of it by the general public. So when Ojukwu later declared Biafra secession, he was reminded of the Anti-secession Decree made by him and his brother Ironsi.

Deadly Truth: Igbos frequently reference Aburi Accord to create the impression that the rest of Nigerian tribes don't honour agreements. This is a very dishonest narrative from Igbos.

First and foremost Aburi Accord was organized by soldiers and unelected civil servants who should not participate in political exercises like making laws due to the civil service anonymity principle. Secondly, those civil servants and military men in attendance were not elected by their federal constituencies to the Aburi summit. In the philosophy of democracy the only universally acceptable way of making laws is through duly elected representatives of the people. But in going to Aburi the peoples' representatives duly elected in the 1965 elections were all sidelined for soldiers to hijack the process. Where on earth do soldiers make laws for the people? Rather, the civilian populace makes laws that guide the military. Aburi Accord therefore had no seal of the people's sovereignty hence it was an illegality which shouldn't have been allowed to stand.

Thirdly, in 1957, Nigerians from all federal constituencies democratically elected representatives whom they sponsored to London, paid their flight tickets and hotel accommodation for the Independence constitutional conference. Those representatives all resolved and agreed on federalism marked by regional autonomy and resource control in the Independence Constitution which they brought back home and everyone accepted it.

In that constitution, Nigerians all agreed that on no account shall the military take over power. It was also clearly stated in it that ammendments to it could be done by only democratically elected representatives.

That constitution was the first ever agreement between all Nigerians. On the day of his inauguration as the Army GoC, Aguiyi Ironsi stood before the whole world and with his own mouth swore to protect and defend that sovereign Independence constitution regardless of the circumstances that may later arise. But just six years after he manufactured an excuse to clinch power against the clear provisions of that constitution we all agreed to, unilaterally began to amend its provisions with his very offensive Decrees, and ended up dismantling the federalism and resource control therein, and ultimately subverted that constitution we all painstakingly sacrificed to draft. That was the height of Irresponsibility and the dishonoring of sacred agreement. That was how Igbos breached the first agreement, all Nigerians, ever all mutually consented to, thus laying the foundation for violation of future agreements.

So Aburi Accord was only treated exactly the same way Igbos treated the Independence constitution agreement.
Anascopeterson: Obasanjo removed history from the school curriculum hence the reason why many of what we know of the eventualities in Biafra war were altered to suite their narratives.
We will keep on reminding those ipobian pigs indomie generation this history until sense enter their heads.

2 Likes

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Cosbyrich: 10:03pm On Jul 29, 2020
gawu1:

We will keep on reminding those ipobian pigs indomie generation this history until sense enter their heads.

The problem with Igbos is longthroat and covetousness.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by kingzizzy: 10:33pm On Jul 29, 2020
gawu1:

All of this was before the war ended in 1970, years ago. 100 times worse has happend in Nigeria in the last 50 years that Igbos have been out of the corridors of power. That one is what IPOB will not forget
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by Deadlytruth(m): 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2020
kingzizzy:

All of this was before the war ended in 1970, years ago. 100 times worse has happend in Nigeria in the last 50 years that Igbos have been out of the corridors of power. That one is what IPOB will not forget
What happened in the last fifty years when Igbos were partially out of power can't be treated in isolation of the pre-independence events as the former are actually the fallouts of the latter. Had Azikiwe, Ojukwu and Ironsi harkened to the voices of reason like Enahoro, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello and Balewa; the Nigerian tragedy which still defines our present lives as a people would have been avoided.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by kingzizzy: 6:39am On Jul 30, 2020
Deadlytruth:

What happened in the last fifty years when Igbos were partially out of power can't be treated in isolation of the pre-independence events as the former are actually the fallouts of the latter. Had Azikiwe, Ojukwu and Ironsi harkened to the voices of reason like Enahoro, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello and Balewa; the Nigerian tragedy which still defines our present lives as a people would have been avoided.

But the rest of you Nigerians have had 50 years to correct whatever it is that Ironsi, Ojukwu and Azikiwe did. All you Nigerians ended up doing in 50 years is making Nigeria 100 times worse than than Ironsi, Zik or Ojukwu ever did. All the geopolitical zones in Nigeria, except for the South east, have had the opportunity to lead Nigeria in the last 50 years. Where is Nigeria today? If you all came in and did far worse than Igbos did then there is point coming up with ancient history of what Igbos did.
Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by juman(m): 7:35am On Jul 30, 2020
Ibos always underrate other tribes.

See how aguiyi ironsi and his ibo people destroyed a good constitution out of their greediness.

The 1966 coup was ibos agenda.
When it failed they went for their alternative plan which was biara.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten History Of Igbo Tribe And Northern Alliance by ofeco: 10:12am On Jul 30, 2020
See them playing victim cards here!
They will tell you how Igbos were prevalent in Tafawa Balewa's cabinet. But ask them how many cabinets Tawafa had, they won't answer.
Tafawa Balewa had 3 cabinets. All cabinets contained 3 Igbos, 3 Igbos, and one IGBO respectively. Greater percentage of the cabinets were filled with people from the western and northern region. Here is the link;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_of_Abubakar_Tafawa_Balewa

They will tell you how Igbos planned a coup to overthrow the government due to greediness! Ask them about the "usual identity crisis amongst Igbos" they usually support. The two major Coup leaders were Ifeajuna ( an Onitsha born ) and Major Nzeogwu ( an Anioma born). The foolish uneducated Yorubas will lay a strong support for the motive that " Aniomas are not Igbos" and " Onitsha are BENINS" just to make sure Igbos are divided! But here we are seeing right in our eyes, laying claim that Ifeajuna and Major Nzeogwu are Igbos. I thought you supported the motive that Aniomas and Onitsha are not Igbos! Hypocrites!

There were 5 major coup leaders in that coup, 4 were from Igboland and 1 Yoruba. If we can go with Yorubas' postulation that Aniomas and Onitshans are not Igbos, then which means 3 out of 5 were not actually Igbos. Only 2 core Igbos present. So therefore, the coup was a Benin/ Yoruba dominated coup. Why can't you guys think about this and air it out?

They will say Igbos killed their leaders in the coup. But ask them of how Northerners started the ethnic cleansing by killing Igbos in thousands during the 1945 and 1953 massacre in the north? Here is an article of how Northerners were planning a genocide on Igbos in 1964;
Hate of the Igbos: Northern House Of Assembly Proceedings, February - March 1964
Below is an extract from the proceedings of the Northern Region House of Assembly between February and March 1964, less than four years after Nigeria’s independence from the British. I have nothing to add. Read and judge for yourself:
Mallam Muhammadu Mustapha Mande Gyan:
On the allocation of plots to Ibos or allocation of stalls, I would like to advise the Minister that these people know how to make money, and we do not know the way and manner of getting about this business. We do not want Ibos to be allocated with plots. I do not want them to be given plots…
Mallam Bashari Umaru:
I would like (you), as a Minister of Land and Survey, to revoke forthwith all Certificates of Occupancy from the hands of the Ibos resident in the Region… (Applause)
Mr. A. A. Agogede:
I’m very glad that we are in a Moslem country, and the government of Northern Nigeria allowed some few Christians in the region to enjoy themselves according to the belief of their religion, but building of hotels should be taken away from the Igbos, and even if we find some Christians who are interested in building hotels and do not have money to do so, the government should aid them, instead of allowing Ibos to continue with their hotels.
Dr. Iya Abubakar (Special Member, Lecturer, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria):
I am one of the strong believers in Nigerian unity, and I have hoped for our having a united Nigeria, but certainly if the present state of affairs continues, I hope the government will investigate first the desirability and secondly the possibility of extending Northernisation policy to the petty traders. (Applause)
Mallam Mukhtar Bello:
I would like to say something very important, that the Minister should take my appeal to the Federal Government about the Igbos in the post office. I wish the numbers of these Igbos be reduced…. There are too many of them in the North. They are like sardines and 1 think they are just too dangerous to the Region.
Mallam Ibrahim Musa:
Mr. Chairman, Sir. Well first and foremost, what I have to say before this Hon. House is that we should send a delegation to meet our Hon. Premier to move a motion in this very Budget Session that all the Ibos working in the Civil Service of Northern Nigeria, including the native authorities, whether they are contractors or not, should be repatriated at once…
Mallam Bashari Umaru:
There should be no contracts either from the government, native authorities, or private enterprises given to Ibo contractors (Government Bench: Good talk and shouts of “Fire the Southerners”). Again, Mr. Chairman, the foreign firms too should be given time limit to replace all Ibo in their firms by some other people.
The Premier (Alhaji the Hon. Sir Ahmadu Bello, K.B.E., Sardauna of Sokoto):
It is my most earnest desire that every post in the region, however small it is, be filled by a Northerner (Applause)
Alhaji Usman Liman:
What brought the Ibos into this region? They were here since the colonial days. Had it not been for the colonial rule, there would hardly have been any Ibo in this region. Now that there is no colonial rule, the Ibos should go back to their region. There should be no hesitation about the matter. Mr. Chairman, North is for Northerners, East for Easterners, West for Westerners, and the Federation is for us all. (Applause)
The Minister of Land and Survey (Alhaji the Hon. Ibrahim Musa Cashash, O.B.E.):
Mr. Chairman. Sir, I do not like to take up much of the time of this House in making explanations, but I would like to assure members that having heard their demands about Ibos holding land in Northern Nigeria, my ministry will do all it can to see that the demands of members are met. How to do this, when to do it, all these should not be disclosed. In due course, you will all see what will happen.
Thank you for this post, the reason why Nigeria is like this today is because so many Nigerians are selfish, why not ask Igbos how the succeed instead of the hatred. I know that from day one NIGERIA has never been United.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

No Doubt This Is 2023. PICTURE. / Court Restrains Orbih, Otsu, Ihama, Others From Participating In PDP Convention / I Can't Believe These Two Brothers Are Agemates (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 307
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.