Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,818 members, 7,817,381 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark (4588 Views)

Buhari Produced Most Embarrassing Budget In History- Saharareporters / NASS Police Invasion: Dpo’s Allegation Dubious, Embarrassing —mark / Nigeria's Airports Are Improving Significantly - Arik (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by LocalChamp: 8:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
Nigeria’s airports most embarrassing – Mark

sDec 8, 2010

By Inalegwu Shaibu

ABUJA—Senate President, David Mark, Wednesday described Nigerian airports as the most embarrassing, saying the poor states of the nation’s airports could hamper the realisation of Vision 20:2020.
Senator Mark made the damning remark at the end of a debate on the report of the investigative hearing on the power outage at the international wing of Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on Sunday,  May 9, 2010, submitted by the Senate Committee on Aviation.
Mark said: “All our airports are major source of embarrassment. Even the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport is becoming an embarrassment. I was in South Africa for the World Cup and none of our airports here is up to the standard of what I saw there. I do not know whether those who run our airports travel.
“Something seriously needs to be done about the state of our airports if we need to develop as a nation. We talk about 20:2020, but these are the variables that can make that possible.
“The environment at the airports is dirty, everything is wrong with our airports, it is either the conveyor belts are not working, or lift not working or even the air conditioning not working. We need to really improve.”

FAAN should be overhauled
Chairman of the Committee, Senator Ayim Udeh, while presenting the report to the Senate, attributed the power failure at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, to obsolete equipment and poor management of airport facilities by the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, FAAN.
He said “the main reason for the outage was  insulation failure of the short-circuiting. This short-circuiting was as a result of the degradation of the cable insulating medium. The cables had witnessed natural ageing, bearing in mind that the installations were more than 32 years old.”
The report also accused the management of FAAN of gross corruption and mismanagement of funds and recommended to the Federal Government that it should be overhauled.
It also traced the failure of FAAN to properly manage airport facilities to the N17. 9 billion owed it by government agencies. and concessionaries companies.
The report reads, “The total debt owed to FAAN has risen to N17, 939, 543, 233. Maevis Limited one of the concessionaires failed to collect a total debt of N4, 579, 404, 567 owed by other concessionaires. Bi-Courtney Air Services Limited, owed it a total sum of N1, 002, 124, 883.”
Senators in their in contributions to the debate attested to the decaying infrastructures in Nigerian airports, which they said posed serious threat to the growth of the economy.
Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, PDP, Cross River in his contribution bemoaned the poor states of Nigerian airports, noting that there must be a comprehensive government policy to address the problems in the aviation sector.
“The outage in one airport speaks of negligence, decay and corruption in all our airports. It is only in Nigeria that our airports have remained the same since they have been built. Murtala Muhammed Airport was built 35 years ago with two conveyor belts, nothing has changed.”
The Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu who also decried the poor states of airports in the country, said the singular power failure in Lagos Airport is a reflection of the general power problem in the country, which must be tackled headlong.
“This is another time for us to reflect on the power problems in our country. If we have sufficient energy supply in our country, I do not think what happened would have happened. We need to do whatever it takes to increase the power supply in our country,” he stressed.
The Senate at the end of deliberation on the report recommended that “The Federal Government should carry out a total overhaul of the management of FAAN in order to deal with the corruption and incompetence in the operational system of the organisation.
“That FAAN should dispense with the services of Maevis Limited since it was unable to add value to its revenue.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/12/nigerias-airports-most-embarrassing-mark/
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Blazay(m): 8:11pm On Dec 08, 2010
Mu he he he he

Blame Boko Haram for lack of progress.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 08, 2010
^^
Aren't they the ones gobbling up money meant for infrastructural development, with his One billion Naira per annum salary. Alakori.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2010
If the senators were asked to accept a pay cut so that there would be enough to improve the standard of our Airports, would they agree?
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by ladi02(m): 9:31pm On Dec 08, 2010
lol, David mark can donate his huge salary per year to refurbish each of the international airports

these guys only want to fix what they use. .or what affects them. .i laugh in spanish. .im sure they have not thought how unequipped our hospitals and universities are, because they have no use of it. .RUBBISH

When we are lucky we Nigerians, get to eat part of the crumbles offered by our leaders. .abeg fix the airports jare!
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Blazay(m): 9:59pm On Dec 08, 2010
ziddy:

^^
Aren't they the ones gobbling up money meant for infrastructural development, with his One billion Naira per annum salary. Alakori.

Who are the?
Is your father not one of them? Oniranu.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by yeswecan(m): 9:59pm On Dec 08, 2010
MM2 (local) is cool though. Privatisation seems to be the only way out - the government cannot maintain anything like the private  - this is evident everywhere not only on Nigeria - Look at what happened to the telecommunication industry as soon as GSM/Private ownership was introduced. The only government owned GSM line (Mtel) is no where in the market.

Responsible and transparent privatisation has always been the key.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by AjanleKoko: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2010
yeswecan:

MM2 (local) is cool though.

I guess compared to the other airports, yes. But the rate of decay in MMA2 is astonishing, particularly being a privately built and run airport. The whole airport is already grimy and in some state of decay, escalators aren't working anymore, and the concessionaries didn't even bother to finish the car park. Kinda disappointing, especially when we all think that privatization cures all ills, huh?

yeswecan:

Look at what happened to the telecommunication industry as soon as GSM/Private ownership was introduced. The only government owned GSM line (Mtel) is no where in the market.

Responsible and transparent privatisation has always been the key.

You know, the truth is, the developments in the telco industry have not been solely because of privatization. After all the sector had been deregulated as far back as during the Abacha years, when Multilinks, Intercellular, Cellcom, Starcomms, etc, entered the fray. But the real growth has been due to (1) the right regulatory policies put in place, and (2) competition.

The truth is, some of these key infrastructure delivery vehicles are not managed by experienced professionals. When the government privatizes, they also sell to their cronies and create policies that favour only themselves, rather than putting the right kind of regulatory framework in place, that would attract the right kind of investors.

Case in point the Lekki toll road. Now in litigation, the toll cost is recorded by LCC and is paid by government. Essentially, Fashola is using Lagos state money to pay LCC, a consortium alleged to be owned by Tinubu. Imagine if the concessioning had followed the right processes - starting from the legislative and regulatory framework, as well as a transparent bidding process to produce the best posssible partner for the government. We can't continue to cut off our nose to spite our face. We need the right kind of leadership, period.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by oderemo(m): 12:14am On Dec 09, 2010
@ajalenkoko,
u be cele man''?
Boy u dey talk sense no be joke.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by na2day1: 2:36am On Dec 09, 2010
U're all talking about physical infrastructure!
How about those pot bellied and hungry looking immigration officers
demanding bribe at every opportunity?
They are more of an eyesore than all the rundown infrastructures combined! shocked
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by 1025: 7:39am On Dec 09, 2010
for the first time, mark in sounding reasonable and truthful. i will be glad to add here that, nigerian senate is also the most embarrassing
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 09, 2010
No more [i]current [/i]news? We're tired of hearing the same stories.
Maybe the [i]new [/i]International airport can tone down a few blushes.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 09, 2010
Blazay:

Who are the?
Is your father not one of them? Oniranu.

You see, every time I read your posts I just wonder: do your six kids know that you're as foolish as this? Do you actually make out time to be with them seeing as you're constantly on Nairaland spewing garbage all over the place? grin
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by hercules07: 10:25am On Dec 09, 2010
@Ajalenkoko

God will bless you plentifully, privatisation in naija has a different meaning o.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by cooliris: 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2010
Nigeria’s airports most embarrassing? why don't you try the interstate roads in Nigeria and then define the state the are in.well i guess you wouldn't know since the airports are your only means of transport.
a friend of mine that took a flight from lagos to port harcourt about four weeks ago was shocked when he saw rats at the airport.he just could not understand why there would be rats at the airport.well, this is Nigeria
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by illusion2: 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2010
Mr Senate President,go & tell that to the marines !

Your monthly allowance for 1 year is sufficient to rehabilitate MMA.

Show leadership on this one & stop posturing.  tongue
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by DeepSoul(f): 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2010
Two days ago, I flew into the Abuja airport and my stomach was rumbling because of the ice cream I had taken the night before. But at that point, I had two options:

a) Sh!!t in the airport toilet
b) Sh!!t in my pants

I chose the 2nd option  grin

(Although God helped me and I held it till I got to town  cheesy)

That's how bad the state of the airports are. I'd rather do it in my pants than enter the toilet. And this is even Abuja airport.
Port Harcourt airport is a no-go area.
And Benin airport. No comment  angry
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by SIBB(m): 1:34pm On Dec 09, 2010
What do you expect sir, when you and your cronies are spending close to the half of the nation income.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by oludashmi(f): 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2010
When about 450 people gulps 25% of the nations revenue. . . and 149, 999, 550 citizens, education sector, aviation sector, transportation sector, agricultural sector etc have 75%, what do you expect.

Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by nitewalker: 1:42pm On Dec 09, 2010
cooliris:

Nigeria’s airports most embarrassing? why don't you try the interstate roads in Nigeria and then define the state the are in.well i guess you wouldn't know since the airports are your only means of transport.
a friend of mine that took a flight from lagos to port harcourt about four weeks ago was shocked when he saw rats at the airport.he just could not understand why there would be rats at the airport.well, this is Nigeria

There are rats at heathrow and at JFK. I have personally seen them. The ones at JFK are actually known to occasionaly steal passengers bags and hold them in ransom for food exchange.

David mark is blowing smoke as usuall. An effort he makes every now and then to assuage his coffers looting conscience.

The saddest thing my people is that the frustrating lack of action by the Nigerian government has turned its citizenry abroad and at home into passive aggresive pacifists.

The extent of our aggression towards our tormentor is these aggresive diatribes. Its not new, and the day to act might never come, cry for your selves, because your beloved country has been hijacked by thugs.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Mrmik(m): 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2010
Sorry volks, but I think this could be a turning point for us all. If the senate president has suddenly realised what state of ram-shackled level the Nigerian airports are; probably when he goes back to the senate he will emphatically caution them that there is still a lot that need to be done. MM airport is the poorest international airport I have ever flown through. A simple thing like the colour they chose for the walls and roof is the most depressing thing I ever come across. The state of the toilets, the tiles on the floor. To mention but a few. Sincerely most of the things we call airports are not even qualified to be called airstrips. I happened to land at the Owerri airport a couple of months ago, and that was the worst disappointment of my life.

Volks I'm always saying; if can't initiate let's imitate. Even regional airports in the west is no comparism to any of the things we call airports. And for a country like Nigeria this is a massive embarrasment.

So honourable senate president it is time for nation building and no more selfish looting.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by blapo(m): 2:39pm On Dec 09, 2010
His reasonability is sentimental and shows that  he really doesn't know what the state of the economy is, he was making reference to his visitation to SA, why not make a reference to the poor people in his constituency that could barely afford three square meals nor could hardly afford transportation from one point to the other, does he think the state of the Nigerian airport will be embarrassing to the poor masses when they can barely feed their family. He should tell us if he is looking forward to acquire a new private jet
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by bignaija(m): 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2010
yes we need to upgrade
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by bignaija(m): 2:45pm On Dec 09, 2010
yes we need to upgrade
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by promochuks(m): 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2010
Well, i think Privatization is good but at the same time, the government needs to ensure that those places  are kept up to standard. Anyway, lets keep hoping for a great change.
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by anonimi: 3:16pm On Dec 09, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by thameamead(f): 3:21pm On Dec 09, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I guess compared to the other airports, yes. But the rate of decay in MMA2 is astonishing, particularly being a privately built and run airport. The whole airport is already grimy and in some state of decay, escalators aren't working anymore, and the concessionaries didn't even bother to finish the car park. Kinda disappointing, especially when we all think that privatization cures all ills, huh?

You know, the truth is, the developments in the telco industry have not been solely because of privatization. After all the sector had been deregulated as far back as during the Abacha years, when Multilinks, Intercellular, Cellcom, Starcomms, etc, entered the fray. But the real growth has been due to (1) the right regulatory policies put in place, and (2) competition.

The truth is, some of these key infrastructure delivery vehicles are not managed by experienced professionals. When the government privatizes, they also sell to their cronies and create policies that favour only themselves, rather than putting the right kind of regulatory framework in place, that would attract the right kind of investors.

Case in point the Lekki toll road. Now in litigation, the toll cost is recorded by LCC and is paid by government. Essentially, Fashola is using Lagos state money to pay LCC, a consortium alleged to be owned by Tinubu. Imagine if the concessioning had followed the right processes - starting from the legislative and regulatory framework, as well as a transparent bidding process to produce the best posssible partner for the government. We can't continue to cut off our nose to spite our face. We need the right kind of leadership, period.

Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by Tunsbobo(m): 3:32pm On Dec 09, 2010
Its a pity that our so called leaders are goats in human skin. I see no reason why the senate president of a country would have the guts to say what he has just said. Its shows the extent to which our country has decayed. As the senate president, he can be declared culpable as per the poor state of our airports. He is in a position to change things for the better, but instead; he prefers running his mouth like a tap. I pity the future of this country, 'i pray that our dear country won't be transformed into an Eyesore by armed robbers who call themselves politicians!
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by babalawo(m): 3:38pm On Dec 09, 2010
Nigeria is embarrassing and Nigerians are most embarrassing. Sometimes early last year I flew into the Abuja airport (the so called international wing). You need to feel the heat that welcomed me. No Centralized cooling systems just standalone AC systems it’s a big shame.

As if that was not enough you need to see the waste bins at the airport-the common plastics bins we have in our homes!  I even contacted the airport management that I was willing to supply for free modernized alloy waste bins as I felt that was an insult but guess what? The FAAN official I met advised that its better I don’t waste my hard earned money!!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by otumfour(m): 3:42pm On Dec 09, 2010
Deep Soul:

Two days ago, I flew into the Abuja airport and my stomach was rumbling because of the ice cream I had taken the night before. But at that point, I had two options:

b) Sh!!t in my pants

That's how bad the state of the airports are. I'd rather do it in my pants than enter the toilet. And this is even Abuja airport.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dude u bad wit tht 1 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by safariman(m): 4:02pm On Dec 09, 2010
He is comparing our airport to SA, can he compare his leadership quality to that of Mandela?
Re: Nigeria’s Airports Most Embarrassing – Mark by buzugee(m): 4:04pm On Dec 09, 2010
Deep Soul:

b) Sh!!t in my pants

and some guys were arguing with me yesterday about how naija will be the next tourist destination because of eko atlantic. yeah roighttttttt. you cant even clean the toilets in the airport grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evening Update. Nigeria News Paper Headline / Corruption Perception: Goodluck Jonathan Versus Bola Tinubu / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan's Train Still Going Strong As Seen This Morning [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.