Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,064 members, 7,814,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? (1548 Views)

Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! / Wealthy Brits Slam London ‘invasion’ Of Arab Playboys / Be Nice To America Or This Is What You Will Get (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 10:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
Whose Cops are More Racist, America’s or the Brits'?

“Blacks in England and Wales are 26 times more likely to be stopped and frisked on the streets than whites.”

The United States criminal justice system has been called the most racist on the planet. And, by most measures, that’s true. But Blacks in Great Britain are also under siege by police – enough to generate a recent visit to London by Rev. Jesse Jackson. A new study shows that Blacks in England and Wales are 26 times more likely to be stopped and frisked on the streets than whites, a figure that Rev. Jackson said “undermines the moral authority” of the United Kingdom. It would be hard to criticize the analysis for sloppiness; it was conducted by the London School of Economics, in collaboration with the Open Society Justice Initiative.

On the face of it, the figures would seem to indicate that Blacks in England and Wales are targeted by police with even more ferocity than their counterparts in New York City, where a similar stop-and-frisk campaign has scooped up progressively larger numbers of Blacks and Latinos in recent years. In England, Section 60 of the 1994 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act was originally promulgated to deal with rowdy soccer hooligans, most of whom are white, but has in recent years turned into a mechanism to disproportionately stop Blacks on the streets.

New York City’s stop-and-frisk regime has drastically escalated under billionaire Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has also dramatically ramped up the pace of gentrification. Strong pressures also exist in England to contain the non-white population.

“U.S. cops stop a much higher percentage of the people – about 25 times as many per capita.”

But, are the police in England and Wales really more viciously racist than New York City cops? With Black Brits 26 times more likely to be stopped than whites, while Black New Yorkers are only 9 times more likely, one might conclude that the English cops behave in a more racist manner. But the sheer numbers of stop-and-frisks in New York City may say otherwise. In 2009, only about 150,000 people were stopped on the streets in all of England and Wales, home to 54 million people. New York City has 8 million residents, less than one-sixth the size of England and Wales, but its cops stopped nearly 600,000 people, four times as many, the vast majority of them Black and Latino.

The conclusion: When English cops stop someone on the street, it is more likely to be a Black person than a white – more likely than when New York cops make a stop: 26 to 1 versus 9 to 1. But U.S. cops stop a much higher percentage of the people – about 25 times as many per capita. What that would tend to indicate is, that a Black Brit might think he had it bad in England, but he'd be more likely to get picked out to be stopped and searched on the streets of New York, because of the sheer volume of stops in the Big Apple.

The same applies to prison. The Black-white incarceration ratio is worse in Britain than it is in the United States. But the U.S. imprisons four times as many people per capita as the Brits do and holds a full 3 percent of the Black U.S. population behind bars. For Blacks in Britain, it's only 1 percent. So yes, it's true: the U.S. does have the most racist criminal justice system in the world. For Black Agenda Radio, I'm Glen Ford. On the web, go to

www.BlackAgendaReport.com
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 10:02pm On Dec 08, 2010
I do not know nothing about Blacks in England. Can someone come in here and enlighten me?

Amerikka NEVER talks about other countries, yet alone how Blacks are living on other countries.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Ibime(m): 2:12am On Dec 09, 2010
Only criminals worry about cops.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 3:17am On Dec 09, 2010
^^^^

u must be white
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Ibime(m): 12:23pm On Dec 09, 2010
You must be African American
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by JeSoul(f): 4:23pm On Dec 09, 2010
^Lol.

Re: Whose Cops are More Racist, America’s or the Brits'?

I think it depends on the city you're in - and therefore the racial make-up of both the police force and population. You will not have the same glaring distribution when comparing Wales with the very diverse New York over lets say Boston or Aspen Colorado or Manchester New Hampshire or Atlanta etc.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by AloyEmeka5: 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2010
Ibime:

Roflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by shotster50(m): 1:51am On Dec 10, 2010
British cops are nowhere as bad as their American counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 3:23am On Dec 10, 2010

Yup Black/handsome/rich and a PLAYA

I see y'all are in the streets of London protesting.

*****respects******

you know not single nigerian is in the mix with their scary a.r.se's
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by strangerf: 3:29am On Dec 10, 2010
^^^^ you know not single of your relative is  successful with their scary ebonics

BTW, how is your brother doing in Riker's; hope fleece the booty warrior hasnt done much damage to his a.r.s.e?

My thoughts, and that of every high flying Nigerian in NY, are with him.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Ibime(m): 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2010
Anyone complaining about Western cops needs to take a trip from PH to Enugu without rojer in his pocket. I would show him real cops.

As MI said:

If you no drop, you go go cell/ behind counter no be hotel/

Thank God for British and American cops jare!
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by montelik(m): 6:14pm On Dec 10, 2010
Ibime:

LWKMD. grin
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 6:26pm On Dec 11, 2010
Thank God for British and American cops jare!

this here is a totally passive african.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Ibime(m): 11:52pm On Dec 11, 2010
No be only passive.

Is it any wonder you always have problems with cops when you adopt an aggressive attitude?

Nigerian cops taught me not to get too jumpy when rifles are off safety. I learnt all my pacifism in Nigeria.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 11:53pm On Dec 12, 2010
Ibime

continue enjoying the crumbs tossed from the Your Colonial Forefathers table. undecided
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by strangerf: 11:59pm On Dec 12, 2010
MandingoII:

Ibime

continue enjoying the crumbs tossed from the Your Colonial Forefathers table. undecided

Hey Pal:

Continue to enjoy the crumbs tossed from your Slave masters' table. grin

Soon you would have to rely on Habla enspanol for your daily bread.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by dayokanu(m): 5:14am On Dec 14, 2010
Ibime:

How did you know, You must be a genius
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by cap28: 3:25am On Jan 04, 2011
MandingoII:

I do not know nothing about Blacks in England. Can someone come in here and enlighten me?

Amerikka NEVER talks about other countries, yet alone how Blacks are living on other countries.

you know why you know nothing about blacks in other countries? because you are as dumb as fu.k and were given just enough "education" to enable you get a job in micky dees, you wallow in a sea of blissful ignorance, oblivious to what is going on outside your putrid ghetto existence, if you want to know whats going on outside the "hood" pick up a fu.king book you fucki.ng ret.ard
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by shotster50(m): 1:46am On Jan 05, 2011
cap28:

you know why you know nothing about blacks in other countries? because you are as dumb as fu.k and were given just enough "education" to enable you get a job in micky dees, you wallow in a sea of blissful ignorance, oblivious to what is going on outside your putrid ghetto existence, if you want to know whats going on outside the "hood" pick up a fu.king book you fucki.ng ret.ard

Lmao someone has really got Mr Afrocentric in a bunch today.,
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by queensmith: 10:51pm On Jan 11, 2011
The police in america are definitely alot more brutal; its sad to hear but the reason soo many blacks are frisked and searched is because soo many of them are criminals, there is a higher proportion of blacks in uk prisons than any other race! There is more crime in predominantly black areas so there will obviously be more security. This will mask outright racism, but i think americans are alot more racist in general.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by MandingoII(m): 4:16am On Jan 12, 2011

Kick rock nigga.  My manliness longer than yours and my bank accounts is fatter

U a Nobody which is why,

Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by ReLaTE(m): 8:54pm On Jan 14, 2011
queensmith:

The police in america are definitely alot more brutal; its sad to hear but the reason soo many blacks are frisked and searched is because soo many of them are criminals, there is a higher proportion of blacks in uk prisons than any other race! There is more crime in predominantly black areas so there will obviously be more security. This will mask outright racism, but i think americans are alot more racist in general.
dnt agree wt u
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by tpia6: 2:07am On Jan 19, 2011
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Mariory(m): 7:47pm On Jan 19, 2011
Ibime:

No be only passive.

Is it any wonder you always have problems with cops when you adopt an aggressive attitude?

Nigerian cops taught me not to get too jumpy when rifles are off safety. I learnt all my pacifism in Nigeria.

Too right! grin grin grin

And they say education in Nigeria is in decline. grin
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 21, 2011
Ibime said:

Only criminals worry about cops.

You're wrong.

Racial profiling is racist, and it is NOT OKAY to say blacks can be stopped and searched disproportionately to others, while brainless imbeciles like you support this.
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Mariory(m): 7:18pm On Jan 21, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Ibime said:

You're wrong.

Racial profiling is racist, and it is NOT OKAY to say blacks can be stopped and searched disproportionately to others, while brainless imbeciles like you support this.

Is it also racist for black cops to search other blacks?
Re: Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? by Ibime(m): 2:55am On Jan 22, 2011
No mind Rossike. Na Huey Newton revolutionary tendencies dey cause all him gra gra.

In Nigeria, we get stopped for Rojer every 1 km.

In Jand, we might get stopped once or twice a year, but if like me, you are a law-abiding citizen, there's no reason to blow gasket.

(1) (Reply)

I Dont Need SSS, He Who Fight Justice Has Nothing To Fear, Mexico New President / World Economy In Photos / How Nigeria Sees The World Vs How South Africa Sees The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.