Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,786 members, 7,813,600 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Avoid These Expressions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Avoid These Expressions (296 Views)

Oxford Dictionary Adds 29 Nigerian Words, Expressions In January Updates / If You Don't Avoid These 10 Things You Might Regret Them In Five Years Time. / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Avoid These Expressions by BYCTV(m): 11:13pm On Jan 26, 2020
Let me quickly remind us these little things!

Late Mrs or Mr or Chief or Doctor followed by the name of such person without the definite article the coming before it, is wrong.

It should be:

The late Mrs or Mr or Chief or Doctor Musa Joseph Ogunlade was from that lineage too.

My mum gave us another money for miscellaneous is wrong because of the use of the adjective another. This is because money is an uncountable noun and the adjective another can only be used with singular countable nouns.

So, using the two words together in the same sentence will definitely harm such sentence.

The correct sentence should be:

My mum gave us more money for miscellaneous

Have you been looking for way to better your spoken and written English?

BYC TV gives you the best on good English, Correct Use of English and helps you better your communication.

There is also weekly giveaway for the most frequent viewer and those you win the weekly learning challenge!

Follow the link below to get connected
with Us

https:///2348162298481?text=Hi!%20I!%am%20interested%20in%20BYC_TV%20channel.%20I%20am%20scholar%20........

1 Share

Re: Avoid These Expressions by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 26, 2020
This is why I like pidgin. undecided

Anyhow you supu pidgin everybody would understand it
Re: Avoid These Expressions by BYCTV(m): 10:09am On Feb 20, 2020
I have sometimes corrected this but let me repeat it for emphasis sake. There is nothing like

*Point of correction, I am not your friend*

Why? - when you mean to bring someone to order by correcting what he or she has said, you do not say point of correction. In fact, the expression is not found in the English dictionary. So please avoid its use.

What you should say is:
Point of order, I am not your friend

Taken?

shocked This is kind of funny but it is also something we must learn to correct. shocked

Do you know it is wrong to say:

Emmanuel, call me that boy/that bikeman/Israel

Why? - when you mean to call the attention of someone, a taxi, a motorcycle or something, you don't express it in such way that has been exemplified above. Ideally, what the above sentence means is Emmanuel, from today you should call my name *that boy/that bikeman/Israel.*

An error-free expression should be:

Emmanuel call that boy/that bikeman/Israel for me*_

Join the over 200 BYC scholars on whatsapp, it doesn't cost you anything. All you need to do is to click on either of the links below to be a part of the family.

http:///23409011800990 - for the Whatsapp TV channel

http:///H0vbn89zqxl0iV6RqK3PD1 - for the Whatsapp Night Class Group Chat

You can also visit my learning blog to study at your own convenience: www.uacportal..com

You will not regret being a part of the family

(1) (Reply)

Optimization Problems In Calculus / Usmle Preparation / Ondo State Government To Teach Pupils Through TV, Radio Over Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.