Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

When Faith Is Intact - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Faith Is Intact (1301 Views)

Why Faith Is An Unreliable Way Of Determining Truth / Why Faith Is Delusional / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Faith Is Intact by Blessyninspires: 7:04am On Jan 27, 2020
What God requires of us is our faith.

Nothing more than to believe in Him.

But why we doubt, I can't tell.

Why we prefer to walk according to our plan and not his will I can't tell.

Why we end up in the wrong spots due to our refusal to wait on him, I can't tell.

Why we rather choose fear than a walk-in faith is still a mystery.

Faith is not void of actions, whoever must walk in faith must learn to believe in the creator of the universe.

Faith is necessary for growth and advancement in life.

If the impact must be solid, faith must be solid.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 9:29am On Jan 27, 2020
Faith in a god is unnecessary for anything worthwhile in this life.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 11:42am On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:
Faith in a god is unnecessary for anything worthwhile in this life.

Faith in a God can actually be necessary factor for success.

According to experts in psychology having faith in a god can serve as a motivating factor in ones success.It does not matter if the object of belief is real or not .As long as you strongly believe, it could make you do things you would not ordinarily do

I do not belong to any religious group.But we need to understand why some persons will continue believe in what they believe in even if they don't fully understand it
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 12:13pm On Jan 27, 2020
triplechoice:

Faith in a God can actually be necessary factor for success.

According to experts in psychology having faith in a god can serve as a motivating factor in ones success.It does not matter if the object of belief is real or not .As long as you strongly believe, it could make you do things you would not ordinarily do

I do not belong to any religious group.But we need to understand why some persons will continue believe in what they believe in even if they don't fully understand it

Your motivation can from anything, that does not make the thing indispensable, you can switch the basis of your motivation.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 12:55pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

Your motivation can from anything, that does not make the thing indispensable, you can switch the basis of your motivation.

Of course I know your motivation can from anything.But why do you want someone to switch his source of motivation if he seems to be benefiting from it?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by eyinjuege: 1:22pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

Why do you want them to switch the basis of their motivation when they have found one that works for them?
Religion has been found to have a positive impact on mental health, and that's a fact. I suspect severe mental health problems aren't as common in Nigeria because of this factor, and hence we have lower suicide rates. Things are now changing though, and I suspect suicide rates are going up now. Is it because a lot are disillusioned about religion now and have decided to stick their middle finger up? Or perhaps it's just time to strengthen our mental health services as a nation? (Goodluck with that though, when physical health services are collapsing everywhere)
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 3:33pm On Jan 27, 2020
triplechoice:

Of course I know your motivation can from anything.But why do you want someone to switch his source of motivation if he seems to be benefiting from it?
eyinjuege:

Why do you want them to switch the basis of their motivation when they have found one that works for them?
Religion has been found to have a positive impact on mental health, and that's a fact. I suspect severe mental health problems aren't as common in Nigeria because of this factor, and hence we have lower suicide rates. Things are now changing though, and I suspect suicide rates are going up now. Is it because a lot are disillusioned about religion now and have decided to stick their middle finger up? Or perhaps it's just time to strengthen our mental health services as a nation? (Goodluck with that though, when physical health services are collapsing everywhere)

I didn't say I want anybody to switch, I said faith is unnecessary. If faith is working for you as a motivation it doesn't make faith indispensable.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

I didn't say I want anybody to switch, I said faith is unnecessary. If faith is working for you as a motivation it doesn't make faith indispensable.

I never said faith was indispensable.You initially said that faith in a god is not necessary to achieve anything worthwhile and I responded that based on established facts it is not true.That faith can act as a source of motivation.

Your response showed that you agreed to this but that people can switch their source of motivation.

Then I asked you, if faith is working for some persons why asking them to change? You have failed to answer this and not only that you have gone on to deny everything you already said Please go back to all your post on this thread.

Now finally,how can faith be unnecessary for those it seems to working for.Infact it has been demonstrated that it actually can work if not it would not be regarded as the opium of the masses. I am concern with faith as source of motivation and not whether God exist or not.I don't expect you not to know what motivation is
Re: When Faith Is Intact by eyinjuege: 5:50pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

In honesty, no religion/faith or lack of religion/faith is indispensable. Science can comfortably co-exist with religion. As we have seen by the many advancements in science over the years.
Infact, many religious persons are still able to function in the world of science and are doing a great job at it.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 7:18pm On Jan 27, 2020
triplechoice:

I never said faith was indispensable.You initially said that faith in a god is not necessary to achieve anything worthwhile and I responded that based on established facts it is not true.That faith can act as a source of motivation.

Your response showed that you agreed to this but that people can switch their source of motivation.

Then I asked you, if faith is working for some persons why asking them to change? You have failed to answer this and not only that you have gone on to deny everything you already said Please go back to all your post on this thread.

Now finally,how can faith be unnecessary for those it seems to working for.Infact it has been demonstrated that it actually can work if not it would not be regarded as the opium of the masses. I am concern with faith as source of motivation and not whether God exist or not.I don't expect you not to know what motivation is

I didn't said you said faith was indispensable nor did I agree with you, I was clarifying my statement in the light of what you said about motivation. That faith can play a role in motivation does not make it indispensable and the fact that it can be substituted for something else buttresses the fact that it unnecessary to achieve anything.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 7:20pm On Jan 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

In honesty, no religion/faith or lack of religion/faith is indispensable. Science can comfortably co-exist with religion. As we have seen by the many advancements in science over the years.
Infact, many religious persons are still able to function in the world of science and are doing a great job at it.

Indeed and the fruits of science and technology need no faith to work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

I didn't said you said faith was indispensable nor did I agree with you, I was clarifying my statement in the light of what you said about motivation. That faith can play a role in motivation does not make it indispensable and the fact that it can be substituted for something else buttresses the fact that it unnecessary to achieve anything.

Haba LordReed!
How can something be both necessary and unnecessary at the same time..If you already agree that faith can be source of motivation which is necessary for success how can it then become unnecessary again?

I understand as an atheist faith can be indispensable but for those who rely on faith it cannot.So why do you want the faith based person to change his source of motivation?You have not answered this
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 8:03pm On Jan 27, 2020
triplechoice:

Haba LordReed!
How can something be both necessary and unnecessary at the same time..If you already agree that faith can be source of motivation which is necessary for success how can it then become unnecessary again?

I understand as an atheist faith can be indispensable but for those who rely on faith it cannot.So why do you want the faith based person to change his source of motivation?You have not answered this

Motivation and faith are not synonymous so that you need motivation does not mean you need faith.

Those that rely on faith are like those that rely on placebos. The thing that works is not the placebo you are ingesting but something else entirely.

Edit: Whether anyone will decide to change from relying on faith is a decision that is up to them, I am not proselytizing however informed decision making I think is necessary for those who want to live with rationality and reason.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 8:38pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

Motivation and faith are not synonymous so that you need motivation does not mean you need faith.

Those that rely on faith are like those that rely on placebos. The thing that works is not the placebo you are ingesting but something else entirely.

I am looking at things dispassionately.So my emphasis is not whether faith is true or not

What I am concern with is the effect which comes from practising any kind of faith.The object of faith doesn't have to be true hence it can be liking to placebo.But the question is ,does it work? yes .pyschlogical studies confirm this.

I was once a deeply religious person and can confirm that the motivation which comes from religious faith is unmatched by no other.This explains why most find it difficult to leave and those who have left sometimes return.

But have since abandon religious faith because common sense is most difficult to apply with it.Things can get out of hand and it can led to disaster .That's my argument against religious faith.However those who are able to moderate it are doing just fine.Most prominent sports persons are those who practice faith
Re: When Faith Is Intact by Blessyninspires: 8:55pm On Jan 27, 2020
I must say all post under this thread is insightful, I am seeing a new perspective on the aspects of faith. I believe that the world cannot be void of faith. Everyone is believing something whether real or false and it's that belief that has made us who we are today.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 9:03pm On Jan 27, 2020
triplechoice:

I am looking at things dispassionately.So my emphasis is not whether faith is true or not

What I am concern with is the effect which comes from practising any kind of faith.The object of faith doesn't have to be true hence it can be liking to placebo.But the question is ,does it work? yes .pyschlogical studies confirm this.

I was once a deeply religious person and can confirm that the motivation which comes from religious faith is unmatched by no other.This explains why most find it difficult to leave and those who have left sometimes return.

But have since abandon religious faith because common sense is most difficult to apply with it.Things can get out of hand and it can led to disaster .That's my argument against religious faith.However those who are able to moderate it are doing just fine.Most prominent sports persons are those who practice faith

Then what is it about what I wrote are you having a problem with?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 9:13pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

Then what is it about what I wrote are you having a problem with?

You trying to trow away the baby with the bath water.
Let those who want to practice faith be allowed to do so except they threaten us with.If it seems to work for them then fine .We can only advise them to apply common sense
Re: When Faith Is Intact by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 27, 2020
Blessyninspires:

What God requires of us is our faith.
Nothing more than to believe in Him.
But why we doubt, I can't tell.
Why we prefer to walk according to our plan and not his will I can't tell.
Why we end up in the wrong spots due to our refusal to wait on him, I can't tell.
Why we rather choose fear than a walk-in faith is still a mystery.
Faith is not void of actions, whoever must walk in faith must learn to believe in the creator of the universe.Faith is necessary for growth and advancement in life.
If the impact must be solid, faith must be solid.

First of all, FAITH comes through hearing the word of God {Romans 10:14} so if you're going to find believers, it must be the TRUE WORD of God,that's what will make it reach the heart {Hebrew 4:12} you can't believe (trust) what is not clear to you!

That's why the one and only group where you can find TRUE FAITH is Jehovah's Witnesses! smiley

You'll notice that when it comes to loyalty to what each religion teaches their followers, only Jehovah's Witnesses are known for standing firm by their FAITH! smiley
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 9:34pm On Jan 27, 2020
triplechoice:

You trying to trow away the baby with the bath water.
Let those who want to practice faith be allowed to do so except they threaten us with.If it seems to work for them then fine .We can only advise them to apply common sense

And where did I say they should abandon faith? Is it that you don't understand the meaning of the words I used or what exactly is your problem?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 10:28pm On Jan 27, 2020
LordReed:

And where did I say they should abandon faith? Is it that you don't understand the meaning of the words I used or what exactly is your problem?

These are your words

"Faith in a god is unnecessary for anything worthwhile in this life."

What else can the above imply!
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 5:19am On Jan 28, 2020
triplechoice:

These are your words

"Faith in a god is unnecessary for anything worthwhile in this life."

What else can the above imply!

Coca-Cola is unnecessary to quench thirst. What does that imply?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 11:54am On Jan 28, 2020
LordReed:

Coca-Cola is unnecessary to quench thirst. What does that imply?

While it's a proven fact that faith in a god can be a source of useful motivation for attaining any goal in life even if the object of faith may not be real ,Coca-Cola has never been proven to quench thirst or completely eradicate it.So what's your point? and how does this answer the question of why you want someone to abandon what seems to be working for another which you have not been able to mention?

What are these other sources of motivation you want switching to? and how does it work?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 12:15pm On Jan 28, 2020
triplechoice:

While it's a proven fact that faith in a god can be a source of useful motivation for attaining any goal in life even if the object of faith may not be real ,Coca-Cola has never been proven to quench thirst or completely eradicate it.So what's your point? and how does this answer the question of why you want someone to abandon what seems to be working for another which you have not been able to mention?

What are these other sources of motivation you want switching to? and how does it work?

When you are willing to think about and answer the question honestly we can talk.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 12:49pm On Jan 28, 2020
LordReed:

When you are willing to think about and answer the question honestly we can talk.

You believe you have found a convenient excuse to avoid clearing the mess you initially created?
You cannot fool me
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 12:57pm On Jan 28, 2020
triplechoice:

You believe you have found a convenient excuse to avoid clearing the mess you initially created?
You cannot fool me

If you can't honestly answer a simple question, I don't think further conversation with you will be productive since you want to be wilfully obtuse.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2020
LordReed:

If you can't honestly answer a simple question, I don't think further conversation with you will be productive since you want to be wilfully obtuse.

You made an false assertion at the beginning of this thread and I and some other person called you out for it

Up till this moment you have not been able to provide any reasonable argument to support your declaration that no one who has believed in a god has achieved anything worthwhile in life.Instead you continue to deflect and now want me to answer a question which is obviously a means to avoid the main issue.

Next time make sure you have all the facts before saying anything if not you continue to expose ignorance.

Have a wonderful day
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 2:18pm On Jan 28, 2020
triplechoice:

You made an false assertion at the beginning of this thread and I and some other person called you out for it

Up till this moment you have not been able to provide any reasonable argument to support your declaration that no one who has believed in a god has achieved anything worthwhile in life.Instead you continue to deflect and now want me to answer a question which is obviously a means to avoid the main issue.

Next time make sure you have all the facts before saying anything if not you continue to expose ignorance.

Have a wonderful day

Keep twisting my words and being wilfully obtuse, you show that way that I have no reason to expect that any amount of explanation will be productive.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 2:39pm On Jan 28, 2020
LordReed:

Keep twisting my words and being wilfully obtuse, you show that way that I have no reason to expect that any amount of explanation will be productive.

ok let me answer your question and see what you got

Yes Coca-Cola is unnecessary to quench thirst because there are or there is a perfect substitute.You can switch from coca -cola
So?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 2:42pm On Jan 28, 2020
triplechoice:

ok let me answer your question and see what you got

Yes Coca-Cola is unnecessary to quench thirst because there are or there is a perfect substitute.You can switch from coca -cola
So?

The question again: Coca-Cola is unnecessary to quench thirst. What does that imply?
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 2:57pm On Jan 28, 2020
LordReed:

The question again: Coca-Cola is unnecessary to quench thirst. What does that imply?

Coca-Cola is not needed to quench thirst.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On Jan 28, 2020
triplechoice:

Coca-Cola is not needed to quench thirst.

There's no implication in that statement that coca-cola is not to be drank. There is no implication in the statement asking anybody to stop drinking coca-cola.
Re: When Faith Is Intact by triplechoice(m): 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2020
LordReed:

There's no implication in that statement that coca-cola is not to be drank. There is no implication in the statement asking anybody to stop drinking coca-cola.

You taking things out of context.What has led to this question.
please respond accordingly and not what you are doing now if not I insist are deflecting

You reply is stripped of it's original context

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Healing Power Of Jesus For Coronavirus (COVID-19) / COVID19 - Don't Give Them A KOBO / Did The Lord Jesus Christ Collect Tithes And Offerings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.