Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War (20843 Views)

Junaid Mohammed: I Will Rather Have Tinubu As President Than Igbo Man / Junaid Mohammed: South Should Forget 2023 Presidency / R-APC: Why Buhari’s Associates Are Dumping Him – Junaid Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 8:14pm On Jan 27, 2020
abeggnow:
anf there lies the problem he is talking about, only the Igbos think everybody is backwards except them and yet when u go to thier region its laughable at best. Its so messed up them can't even stay in it hence the flocking to other regions. Lets not even talk about crime.they need to get thier acts together and understand how power works. There is not way without cooperation that they will bring a leather that will govern this country. Even the north that has the highest population always seeks corporation
It's like a situation when you want to run your race at 100km/HR and you are tied down with someone who is prepared to wait at a single spot.

Is secession the answer?
No!.

But if I was Ibo, I will come to the same conclusion
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by God1stson(m): 9:58pm On Jan 27, 2020
nairavsdollars:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

https://www.independent.ng/igbo-political-leaders-havent-learnt-any-lesson-from-civil-war-junaid-mohammed/
Sorry sir, that is the nature of most Igbos. They stand for what they believe in and say it with courage.Even if it will cost them their lives. Summary u cannot make an Igbo man ur slave. He will always put up a fight to show he is a free born. That is why after 50yrs u still notice the same trait. U can attribute other to things to Igbo but definitely not carwodice.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 10:32pm On Jan 27, 2020
shadeyinka:

It's like a situation when you want to run your race at 100km/HR and you are tied down with someone who is prepared to wait at a single spot.

Is secession the answer?
No!.

But if I was Ibo, I will come to the same conclusion
The answer is negotiation and corporation.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by NaMeAboki: 5:17am On Jan 28, 2020
Like it or not; Junaid was spot on - let those who disagree exercise objectivity and address the exact issues raised with sincerity and without emotions (not Junaid who is only the messenger).
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 5:21am On Jan 28, 2020
abeggnow:
The answer is negotiation and corporation.
What kind of negotiation?

I respected the Ibo's during the civil war. They improvised with military technology, organised their graduates to do the improvisations etc. They were poor but innovative.

Nigeria on the otherwise was rich and till today, we import every military hardware we use. The innovations of the Ibo's are kept in a Musium till today. and,the situations before the civil war remain the same.

Secession doesn't really pay us but at least now you can see thet the rest of Nigeria prevented the probable "China" of Africa from emerging while we ourselves remain stagnant.

1 Like

Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by Dizzyrascal(m): 6:17am On Jan 28, 2020
CSTR2:

If Nigeria has an expiry date, why should you carry it on your head?

Others are developing themselves for the any eventuality, while clowns like you are subjecting yourselves into negative stereotypes.

Your grand children will not be able to aspire for the presidency if you people don't stop your foolishness.
I honestly hope that your own grandchildren will be able to contest too....you keep mentioning this presidency thing....you can keep the presidency for yourself and your children and your grand and great children....to hell with it

1 Like

Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 9:29am On Jan 28, 2020
shadeyinka:

What kind of negotiation?

I respected the Ibo's during the civil war. They improvised with military technology, organised their graduates to do the improvisations etc. They were poor but innovative.

Nigeria on the otherwise was rich and till today, we import every military hardware we use. The innovations of the Ibo's are kept in a Musium till today. and,the situations before the civil war remain the same.

Secession doesn't really pay us but at least now you can see thet the rest of Nigeria prevented the probable "China" of Africa from emerging while we ourselves remain stagnant.
China of Africa" you must be kidding right??China can not be compared to any African country, they have been inventing for millennias.Also no matter how you cut it the Igbo lost the war. Don't forget they are the once who started it.due to selfishness and individualism
. That being said Nigeria or a part has f Nigeria is not dragging anybody or any other rigion back . If it was then the east should have been really developed by now but go there and you will be stunned. The only thing dragging anybody snd everybody back is corruption and vision less leather ship so lets not lie to ourselves.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 11:58am On Jan 28, 2020
abeggnow:
China of Africa" you must be kidding right??China can not be compared to any African country, they have been inventing for millennias.Also no matter how you cut it the Igbo lost the war. Don't forget they are the once who started it.due to selfishness and individualism
. That being said Nigeria or a part has f Nigeria is not dragging anybody or any other rigion back . If it was then the east should have been really developed by now but go there and you will be stunned. The only thing dragging anybody snd everybody back is corruption and vision less leather ship so lets not lie to ourselves.
Every tribe has their own problem.
The west used to lead Nigeria when we were operating a confederacy. First TV station in Africa, Tallest building in Africa, Free Education for all, Farm Extensions etc. Where do we think we are excelling now. Where is the West in the map of Africa? Thank God for Lagos state, may be would have been completely rubbished in terms of development and innovations.

Ibos may have their own peculiar nature, weakness and problems however, I still respect them. What is wrong in a people saying we want freedom when they feel alienated?

Why do you think the West kicked off Amotekun!? It was because security wise, we feel alienated and we took a position of bravery rather than passive slave.

Like I said, if you were Ibo, you'll take the same side with them. And no one decided where he'll be born. Do you know that Saraki is from Ogun State and NOT Kwara?
Do you know that IBB's is related to Ogbomosho from his mother?
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by Thazard(m): 12:37pm On Jan 28, 2020
Ebenezar2020:
then how come your IPOB brothers suddenly drop the agitation for bia'fraud the moment PDP gave Presidential ticket to Atikuloot and Peter Obi?
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 4:44pm On Jan 28, 2020
shadeyinka:

Every tribe has their own problem.
The west used to lead Nigeria when we were operating a confederacy. First TV station in Africa, Tallest building in Africa, Free Education for all, Farm Extensions etc. Where do we think we are excelling now. Where is the West in the map of Africa? Thank God for Lagos state, may be would have been completely rubbished in terms of development and innovations.

Ibos may have their own peculiar nature, weakness and problems however, I still respect them. What is wrong in a people saying we want freedom when they feel alienated?

Why do you think the West kicked off Amotekun!? It was because security wise, we feel alienated and we took a position of bravery rather than passive slave.

Like I said, if you were Ibo, you'll take the same side with them. And no one decided where he'll be born. Do you know that Saraki is from Ogun State and NOT Kwara?
Do you know that IBB's is related to Ogbomosho from his mother?

first of all the tallest building in Nigeria you have mentioned was not done by western Nigeria but by the collective that is the federal government do not lie to yourself. Also I am half Igbo and as such I understand the Igbo mentality very well. They are great in business but poor in political understanding and it has to do with the history of the Igbos. That's another long story. Also no nation on earth will let a part of its territory secede not even western countries that claim to be liberal. So lets be factual.Also we have never operated a confederacy in Nigeria I don't know where you got that from.The west was more developed because of the British .
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 6:08pm On Jan 28, 2020
abeggnow:
first of all the tallest building in Nigeria you have mentioned was not done by western Nigeria but by the collective that is the federal government do not lie to yourself. Also I am half Igbo and as such I understand the Igbo mentality very well. They are great in business but poor in political understanding and it has to do with the history of the Igbos. That's another long story. Also no nation on earth will let a part of its territory secede not even western countries that claim to be liberal. So lets be factual.Also we have never operated a confederacy in Nigeria I don't know where you got that from.The west was more developed because of the British .
Cocoa house was a built with western money. It was built with money from Western Nigeria.

Cocoa House,[1] completed in 1965 at a height of 105 metres,[2] was once the tallest building in tropical Africa. It is located in the city of Ibadan in Oyo State, Nigeria, and it was built from proceeds from commodities (e.g., Cocoa, Rubber, Timber and so on) of the then Western State of Nigeria.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_House

Since you are related to the Ibos, you needn't be too harsh upon them. The reason they are politically immature stems from the fact that it is difficult culturally for them to submit their collective will to a person. Politics is a game of unity of numbers it's not an individual game.

The west is suffering this same thing too: Ours is just a little better. The North usually vote emnblock so that their political weight is always high. But their advantage is the prevailing lack of education so that they will usually flow in the direction of the emir/the political class (unlike the Yorubas who will not take orders from just anyone without good reason)

As for me, democracy is the worst form of Government for a multiethnic and largely uneducated society. I hope as a people, we can fashion out a suitable method of governance
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by citizenY(m): 10:03pm On Jan 28, 2020
efighter:

This is the type of statment that will give you freedom. Olori Pelebe. Never, will Igbos get Biafra. Never, ever.

Imagine the insolence. In Hausa there is an idiom....na mouth dey cut neck.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 1:30am On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

Cocoa house was a built with western money. It was built with money from Western Nigeria.

Cocoa House,[1] completed in 1965 at a height of 105 metres,[2] was once the tallest building in tropical Africa. It is located in the city of Ibadan in Oyo State, Nigeria, and it was built from proceeds from commodities (e.g., Cocoa, Rubber, Timber and so on) of the then Western State of Nigeria.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_House

Since you are related to the Ibos, you needn't be too harsh upon them. The reason they are politically immature stems from the fact that it is difficult culturally for them to submit their collective will to a person. Politics is a game of unity of numbers it's not an individual game.

The west is suffering this same thing too: Ours is just a little better. The North usually vote emnblock so that their political weight is always high. But their advantage is the prevailing lack of education so that they will usually flow in the direction of the emir/the political class (unlike the Yorubas who will not take orders from just anyone without good reason)

As for me, democracy is the worst form of Government for a multiethnic and largely uneducated society. I hope as a people, we can fashion out a suitable method of governance
I agree with you on that. We need to formulate a system that works for us that suits our unique realities.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 6:20am On Jan 29, 2020
abeggnow:
I agree with you on that. We need to formulate a system that works for us that suits our unique realities.
If we must stay together, a complete financial autonomy may be part of the solution down to the village level of each local government. A takeoff grant over a period of time may be necessary for communities with the least resources. Only then would their be a healthy competition soley dependent on community prosperity and devoid of ethnic bias.

The national government should be made relevant only to foreign affairs and inter-state cooperation for national projects. It also looks like citizenship based on parental stock would be minimised for citizenship based on place of residence and of course it will weaken all the traditional institutions across board.

Is their a guarantee this will work? Certainly no! It will solve some problems and create other problems. But then we have to weigh the opportunity cost and decide.

Nigeria is of course better off as a Big Unified Nation rather than fragments based on ethnic blocks. Each tribe/region is another mini Nigeria (you won't believe the number of dialects of Yoruba existing)
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 12:38pm On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

If we must stay together, a complete financial autonomy may be part of the solution down to the village level of each local government. A takeoff grant over a period of time may be necessary for communities with the least resources. Only then would their be a healthy competition soley dependent on community prosperity and devoid of ethnic bias.

The national government should be made relevant only to foreign affairs and inter-state cooperation for national projects. It also looks like citizenship based on parental stock would be minimised for citizenship based on place of residence and of course it will weaken all the traditional institutions across board.

Is their a guarantee this will work? Certainly no! It will solve some problems and create other problems. But then we have to weigh the opportunity cost and decide.

Nigeria is of course better off as a Big Unified Nation rather than fragments based on ethnic blocks. Each tribe/region is another mini Nigeria (you won't believe the number of dialects of Yoruba existing)
There are at least 300 tribes in Nigeria. Hence a strong central government.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 2:38pm On Jan 29, 2020
abeggnow:
There are at least 300 tribes in Nigeria. Hence a strong central government.
The strong center is becoming biased towards the numerically superior tribes. It is sufficient if Nigeria is governed based on 6 to 12 geopolitical zones. And autonomy goes deep down to the village level.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 2:53pm On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

The strong center is becoming biased towards the numerically superior tribes. It is sufficient if Nigeria is governed based on 6 to 12 geopolitical zones. And autonomy goes deep down to the village level.
there is this miss conception that the Hausas are numerically superior. Its not true. Hausa, Fulanisand the various large tribes are not numerically superior but collectively they are. There is this feeling of oneness when it comes to the North. I agree the present central system seem bias towards the south but the cause is actually the south.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 3:10pm On Jan 29, 2020
abeggnow:
there is this miss conception that the Hausas are numerically superior. Its not true. Hausa, Fulanisand the various large tribes are not numerically superior but collectively they are. There is this feeling of oneness when it comes to the North. I agree the present central system seem bias towards the south but the cause is actually the south.
I agree with you.
I should have said politically numerically superior. Until the whole south east to west to south-south unite, we'll continue to see this problem
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 3:45pm On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

I agree with you.
I should have said politically numerically superior. Until the whole south east to west to south-south unite, we'll continue to see this problem
which will never happen.look at th history in Nigeria domocrqcy has always brought out division because the politician have always used division as tools.we need to create a democratic process that works for us. Because where there we like it or not we need one another to survive. Me my familly is both from the North and south and because of this i understand both regions well and the mentality
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 5:36pm On Jan 29, 2020
abeggnow:
which will never happen.look at th history in Nigeria domocrqcy has always brought out division because the politician have always used division as tools.we need to create a democratic process that works for us. Because where there we like it or not we need one another to survive. Me my familly is both from the North and south and because of this i understand both regions well and the mentality
The main problems of politics from the perspective of the electorates in Nigeria are
1. Poverty:
Which make the electorates sell their votes for N3500
2. Illiteracy:
The electorates don't seem to know what they want from the political class.

The main problems with respect to our national values
1. Corruption:
A politician goes to office to enrich himself and this is accepted
2. Failure of Law and Justice
Politicians seem above the law.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 7:25pm On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

The main problems of politics from the perspective of the electorates in Nigeria are
1. Poverty:
Which make the electorates sell their votes for N3500
2. Illiteracy:
The electorates don't seem to know what they want from the political class.

The main problems with respect to our national values
1. Corruption:
A politician goes to office to enrich himself and this is accepted
2. Failure of Law and Justice
Politicians seem above the law.
I agree with you on all points mentioned also also we don't have a political system hence the lack of party ideology.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 7:31pm On Jan 29, 2020
abeggnow:
I agree with you on all points mentioned also also we don't have a political system hence the lack of party ideology.
Unless the current political structure disintegrate, I don't see a way out.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 9:02pm On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

Unless the current political structure disintegrate, I don't see a way out.
But the people have real issues. the day we will stand up to say enough is enough changes will occur
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 7:54am On Jan 30, 2020
abeggnow:
But the people have real issues. the day we will stand up to say enough is enough changes will occur
When will that be when we are still manufacturing "alimajiris" by their millions every year and when poverty/inflation is increasing every month?

These are the electorates who perpetuates the curse
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 11:39am On Jan 30, 2020
shadeyinka:

When will that be when we are still manufacturing "alimajiris" by their millions every year and when poverty/inflation is increasing every month?

These are the electorates who perpetuates the curse
almajiries in the million surely that over stating it
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 1:46pm On Jan 30, 2020
abeggnow:
almajiries in the million surely that over stating it
Would it be fair to say every state in the Northern Nigeria has close to 100,000 alimajiris?
Count the number of states and multiply and you see that my estimate isn't too far off nor outrageous.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by orisa37: 3:46pm On Jan 30, 2020
IGBOS are neither Hebrews nor Israel, but they are Jews. Children of Judah.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2020
shadeyinka:

Would it be fair to say every state in the Northern Nigeria has close to 100,000 alimajiris?
Count the number of states and multiply and you see that my estimate isn't too far off nor outrageous.
not every state . Mostly north west
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 7:10am On Feb 01, 2020
abeggnow:
not every state . Mostly north west
My first major bad experience of Alimajiris was in the North East: Azare (former Bauchi State). ..about 20 of them licking perfectly clean a bowl of nunu a customer just finished drinking. For a long time, I couldn't buy nunu from the Fulani women at the market. It could be worse in the North West though and I don't know if it has been minimised. The menace rears its ugly head once you cross into Niger state till Sokoto. Even Abuja is under this scourge (even though relatively much smaller)

I think the Northern elites gain from it. In the west, Muslim children as a rule goes to standard schools in the morning and in the evenings the children goes to Koranic schools. I think this is a better approach. Unfortunately, I see the north going for having higher population through uncontrolled birth rates (for electoral relevancy) through this means at the expense of mass poverty and general backwardness through lack of education.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by abeggnow: 2:36pm On Feb 01, 2020
shadeyinka:

My first major bad experience of Alimajiris was in the North East: Azare (former Bauchi State). ..about 20 of them licking perfectly clean a bowl of nunu a customer just finished drinking. For a long time, I couldn't buy nunu from the Fulani women at the market. It could be worse in the North West though and I don't know if it has been minimised. The menace rears its ugly head once you cross into Niger state till Sokoto. Even Abuja is under this scourge (even though relatively much smaller)

I think the Northern elites gain from it. In the west, Muslim children as a rule goes to standard schools in the morning and in the evenings the children goes to Koranic schools. I think this is a better approach. Unfortunately, I see the north going for having higher population through uncontrolled birth rates (for electoral relevancy) through this means at the expense of mass poverty and general backwardness through lack of education.

I think the higher birth rate is due to poverty, ignorance, and literacy.
Re: Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War by shadeyinka(m): 4:45pm On Feb 01, 2020
abeggnow:
I think the higher birth rate is due to poverty, ignorance, and literacy.
Of course. If you don't have to consider how to feed, clothe and send your children to good schools, why won't a gateman have 13 children!?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Seyi Makinde: Nigeria Needs Security, Restructuring, Not Yoruba Presidency / Explosions Rock Eroton’s Oil Field In Rivers State / Witness Faults Results Of Presidential Election Claimed By Atiku, PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.