Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival (9951 Views)

Nigerian Lady Dances In A Daring Outfit At A Wedding Event, Causes A Stir / Nick B Thrills Abuja Residents With Pool Party 'The Blade' (Photos) / Wizkid, Davido, Burna Boy, Tems, P-Square, Thrill Fans At DettyDecember Concerts (2) (3) (4)

Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by opportunes: 5:35am On Jan 29, 2020
Gbari masquerades, some of them children, and musicians and dancers last Saturday gave scintillating performances which got thousands of spectators who converged on the Kwali mini stadium raving. Thousands of Gbari natives, one of the nine original inhabitants of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), converged on the venue of the 3rd Gbari National Cultural Carnival to celebrate their culture and foster unity. The cultural carnival attracted politicians, academics and technocrats from various parts of the country who are of Gbari extraction, as well as their friends. Speaking at the carnival, the Etsu of Kwali, His Royal Highness (HRH) Alhaji Shaban Nizazo (III), said the event was organized to serve as a symbol of peace and unity among Gbari sons and daughters, including those in the diaspora. He said the Gbari culture and tradition are gradually being revamped and what was left was to see how the young generation will sustain it.

The carnival was also an avenue to educate the youth on their roots, which, he said, would help them sustain the culture. “We are not isolated, as we are Nigerians and we must also cooperate with other ethnic groups for the development of the country, but more importantly, we must sustain the Gbari culture and tradition which has eroded over the years,” he said.

Also speaking, Senator Philip Aduda, who was the chairman of the occasion, represented by his senior special adviser, Mr Julius Gado, appreciated the organisers of the event, saying the cultural display by various Gbari natives was the best way the younger ones will also learn and sustain the Gbari culture. Aduda, therefore, urged the Gbari youth to give attention to education, saying it was the bedrock of any society that gives individuals a sense of belonging.

The chairman of the council, Mr Danladi Chiya, said his administration would continue to promote the culture of the natives of the FCT in order to ensure continuity. He further said the council would ensure it sustained and reinvigorated the Gbari cultural carnival. “The reinvigoration of the Gbari culture and its sustenance should be a point of duty especially by our elders so that the younger ones will sustain it,” he said.

An educationist, Dr Midah Kwali Ayuba, in a paper he presented at the occasion titled ‘Effects of Foreign Religion on the Culture of the Gbari People’, said: “The Gbari values are cherished tradition and ethos which are desirable to the society and taken as normative civilization.” According to him, the Gbari value system is subsumed in discipline, disposition to obey orders and fulfil responsibilities which, he said, was reinforced through the organisation of age-grades, to favour the well-behaved and punishment for deviants.

“Also, one of the things that the Gbari believe, aside from religion, is hard work and self-reliance. Honour has also been on top of their life agenda as their whole existence is guided by the sense of shame in things spiritual and moral,” he said. He explained that in Gbari traditional society, a person would rather starve to death than rely on others for food, saying reliance on others for anything is considered as humiliating to the individual in addition to bringing dishonour to the entire family.

He added that “idleness and laziness are not only abhorred, but they are also treated as taboo. No wonder in the Gbari communities, the disabled are kept within the family household and fended for by the extended family.” Dr Midah noted that the Gbari culture has sustained the people for generations, “but the two imported religions came heavily on the Gbari cultural world, bringing about a bartering and shattering experience and irreparable cultural trauma.”

According to him, the effect is regarded as the conquest of the traditional culture in history when the whirlwind of the cross current of the two faiths bartered and shattered the ancient crust of the traditional Gbari cultural phenomenon. He, however, observed that Gbari scholars, commentators, elite, elders, and youth as well as sympathizers have expressed doubt and worries over the solidarity of the Gbari social structure. “But today, the two foreign religions have brought about the decline of the Gbari traditional world, the undoing of the old cultural setup and the rapid erosion of old values.

The Gbari culture, therefore, is gradually running into extinction and something must be done to stop this,” he said. “Today, instead of the Gbari people to relate with their brothers and sisters using cultural affinity, they use the force of religion to identify themselves; instead of a Gbari man identifying himself first as a Gbari person, he uses the force of religion as his or her identity,” he added.
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/gbari-thrill-residents-with-dances-masquerades-at-carnival.html

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by boom99(m): 6:17am On Jan 29, 2020
hhn

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 29, 2020
There is nothing fascinating about masquerades these days. angry

Now, they are used for political campaigns and to extort money from people. Tueh angry

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Darlia777(f): 6:17am On Jan 29, 2020
What's this one?

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by SpatialKing(m): 6:18am On Jan 29, 2020
Is that why land is expensive?
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by MurphyTheory99(m): 6:18am On Jan 29, 2020
AFRICA MY AFRICA. WHAT A CONTINENT. RICH IN CULTURE AND TRADITION BUT ALSO MASSIVE IN POVERTY.

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Brandstudio01: 6:19am On Jan 29, 2020
What thrilled me was is the way the guy on Uniform was looking at the masquerade
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Nobody: 6:19am On Jan 29, 2020
OK.. Let them live their life jare
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by phransix2: 6:19am On Jan 29, 2020
No be every post I see I must comment on... Let me leave this one
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by lifestyle1(m): 6:19am On Jan 29, 2020
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by metroid(m): 6:20am On Jan 29, 2020
Drunk fans
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by DuBLINGreenb(m): 6:21am On Jan 29, 2020
3rd world carnival
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Nobody: 6:21am On Jan 29, 2020
SpatialKing:
Is that why land is expensive?

One marlian spotted.... Comment doesn't relate with the thread

If u no, u no

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Nobody: 6:22am On Jan 29, 2020
[quote author=phransix2 post=86194372]No be every post I see I must comment on... Let me leave this one[/quote

Another marlian spotted.. Igbo labi family
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Crixxx: 6:22am On Jan 29, 2020
North have started masquerade carnival too.. Thought its just the Eastern part of Nigeria
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Nobody: 6:24am On Jan 29, 2020
JeffreyD1:
F. T. C this Wednesday morning it's a sign of good thing ahead today

I'm still searching for job oh help a brother
Receptionist,
Sales Representative,
Office Assistant,
Car for Uber/bolts Driving,
Driver job,
Computer front desk staff,

I'm a computer literate I can make use of the Microsoft World, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint

Any job relating to my O'level educational background. I have my SSCE and my computer certified certificate. I'm in my 20s and strong enough to do anything and do it well. Though I am here in Abuja ready to relocate anywhere if the job is not around here as long as accommodation will be provided. Help a brother with a job, please. Thanks and God bless you as you reply.

Help a brother God bless you

Here is my number 0903 075 3981

God will help u find a job Bro... Don't let hurry hurry make u say u go relocate anywhere ooo.. It's not easy everywhere and who wan take u in from nowhere

Pray God find u a job in ur location.....

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Jabioro: 6:28am On Jan 29, 2020
Look at that Naval rating officer and Wuruwuru civil defense corp was being carried away..These are the people mounting our security system..Poor me what do I know..
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by SpatialKing(m): 6:29am On Jan 29, 2020
Mymynd4u:

One marlian spotted.... Comment doesn't relate with the thread

If u no, u no
I wish you stay in Abuja,
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by DesChyko: 6:31am On Jan 29, 2020
Entertainment as evolved as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEYHhVgZuTA
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by phransix2: 6:33am On Jan 29, 2020
[quote author=Mymynd4u post=86194414][/quote]

Omo iya mi

It is plenty in the ear... Say it in yoruba
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by SamUnbeatable(m): 6:38am On Jan 29, 2020
our tradition and culture are interrelated with poverty......
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Simplebeauty: 6:38am On Jan 29, 2020
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by OakConsultNG: 6:43am On Jan 29, 2020
Interesting...

Meanwhile, register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC at discounted prices. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58am On Jan 29, 2020
Gbari, a very lovely and peaceful town.

It was fun while it lasted.

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by cardoctor(m): 7:08am On Jan 29, 2020
That masquerade looks hungry.
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 29, 2020
Crixxx:
North have started masquerade carnival too.. Thought its just the Eastern part of Nigeria
Anybody can copy anybody
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by JeffreyD1(m): 7:41am On Jan 29, 2020
Mymynd4u:

God will help u find a job Bro... Don't let hurry hurry make u say u go relocate anywhere ooo.. It's not easy everywhere and who wan take u in from nowhere

Pray God find u a job in ur location.....

Thank you

Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by thundafire: 7:55am On Jan 29, 2020
Dis ones can't dance to long b4 hot sun finish der leg
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by obiekunie2: 8:45am On Jan 29, 2020
they said they are GBAGYI

NOT GBARI

DAILYTRUST YOU CANT SAY YOUR ARE NOT AWARE OF THAT. STOP INSULTING THE GBAGYIS.
Re: Gbari Thrill Residents With Dances, Masquerades At Carnival by ouigy99(m): 9:47am On Jan 29, 2020
Okpa042:
There is nothing fascinating about masquerades these days. angry

Now, they are used for political campaigns and to extort money from people. Tueh angry

You have valid point my brother, but there are still some masquerade festivities which aren't about money or politics, but strictly entertainment. Find here this video of a masquerade from Obinagu Udi in Enugu state. I hope you would be entertained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njiyPUVHmCA

MISS BEAUTIFUL NIGERIA pageant 2018 Theme: BEAUTY AND ROYALTY / BEST LEAFLETS, FLYER, STICKER & POSTER DISTRIBUTION AGENCY IN LAGOS, NIGERIA / Wedding Gown