Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) (5182 Views)

Iyabo Ojo’s PA Gets Toyota Corolla From The Actress, Collapses / At Home With Pa Kasumu In Mushin Apartment / Wesley Snipes Released From Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Kennyblues(m): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2010
LEWIS RUN, Pa. - Actor Wesley Snipes began serving a three-year sentence at a federal prison in Pennsylvania on Thursday for failure to file income tax returns.

Snipes, 48, arrived shortly before noon at the Federal Correctional Institution McKean in the tiny northwestern Pennsylvania town of Lewis Run, federal prisons spokesman Ed Ross said. He had been ordered to surrender by noon.

The minimum security prison camp is worlds away from the harsh prison fortresses depicted in the Snipes' films "Undisputed" and "Brooklyn's Finest." The minimum-security camp doesn't have fences around its perimeter.

The 300 nonviolent inmates live in barracks that feature two-man rooms, daily showers and double-feature movie showings Friday through Sunday. Alas, no NC-17, R or X ratings allowed, which knocks out much of Snipes' action-heavy repertoire.

The most jarring aspect of the celebrity's stay might be the five daily head counts, three during the overnight hours. And Snipes, who earned a reported $13 million for the "Blade: Trinity" sequel, will have to adjust to earning just pennies an hour handling kitchen, laundry or other campus chores. He can spend just $290 a month at the prison commissary.

Snipes has appeared in dozens of studio films, from "White Men Can't Jump" and "Demolition Man" in the early 1990s to the blockbuster Blade trilogy.

None of which will score him any points at McKean, officials insist.

"We recognize that he is high profile, but we treat all our inmates the same," spokeswoman Shirley White told The Associated Press last week.

According to U.S. prosecutors, the actor failed to file any tax returns for at least a decade, and owed $2.7 million in taxes on $13.8 million in income from 1999 to 2001 alone.

Snipes, a dues-paying member of a tax-protest group that challenges the government's right to collect taxes, described himself at his 2008 sentencing as a naive truth-seeker.

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," said Snipes, who had pursued theater and dance from an early age, attending the vaunted High School for the Performing Arts in New York City.

Tuesday night, he told CNN's "Larry King Live" that he was not nervous about reporting to prison.

Star of the "Blade" trilogy, Snipes was convicted in 2008 on three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file income tax returns.

On Wednesday, he made a last-minute request for a new trial, but on Thursday a judge in Florida rejected the emergency motion. Snipes had argued said that a judge erred by not allowing defense attorneys to interview jurors about misconduct allegations, but U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges said the motion merely re-argues issues that have already been decided.

At McKean, he can pursue his spirituality at weekly meetings of nearly any religious group imaginable, from Wiccans to Jehovah's Witnesses to Spanish-speaking Evangelical Catholics.

The martial-arts enthusiast can get his exercise playing sand volleyball or indoor basketball, or work out on an elliptical machine or stair climber. And he can tap into his fun side through badminton, bocci or bridge.

Should he pull a muscle in a pickup game, the infirmary copay is just $2.

But it's not all fun and games.

The daily wake-up call is at 6:35 a.m. The mundane jobs run seven hours a day. There's little fashion flair to the prison-issued khakis. And contact in the visitors room is limited to "a kiss," according to the prison handbook.

Snipes has tried to delay his arrival while he takes his appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. But the trial judge said he had gotten a fair trial.

Hodges saw in Snipes "a history of contempt" for U.S. tax laws, the judge said at sentencing.

Never mind that the actor, changing course, had delivered $5 million in checks to the IRS that day. Hodges imposed consecutive one-year terms for the three misdemeanor convictions.

"Someday, every fighter loses," says the prison boxer Monroe Hutchens, played by Snipes, in 2002's "Undisputed." "In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101209/ap_en_ce/us_wesley_snipes_prison
___

Online:

McKean FCI: http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/mck/index.jsp

1 Like

Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by houvest: 3:01pm On Dec 10, 2010
The US no dey play with their Tax o. They wan use am set example to other hollywood and celebrity tax-dodgers. Pele Snipes. You were one of my favourite hollywood stars. Hope you will come out and bounce back to make another US Marshals, Passenger 57, 7 seconds, Liberty stands still, Rising Sun, Blade trilogy, murder at 1600, etc. Please do not try to act 'Undisputed' in Jail inspite of your Karate skills because film na film nobi reality. I will miss you and your intelligent and extraordinary displays shaa for these three years. We dey wait.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by SaffyBaby(f): 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2010
^^^^,old boy u no send oh.
but sha the guy messed up big tym oh.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by egift(m): 6:40pm On Dec 10, 2010
One of my favorite actors in Hollywood - this is sad.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Omenani(m): 6:42pm On Dec 10, 2010
And the sad part about this is that he actually paid the $5 million dollars back. The judge was harsh to give him 3 years in jail even after he paid his debt.

I think it is, because he was black. They did the same thing to Michael Vick.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by leonaidas(m): 1:27am On Dec 11, 2010
why are u all sounding as if the man is dead? Ignorance is not an excuse.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by SeanT21(f): 1:28am On Dec 11, 2010
Omenani:

And the sad part about this is that he actually paid the $5 million dollars back. The judge was harsh to give him 3 years in jail even after he paid his debt.

Oh God, stop it.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by violent(m): 1:30am On Dec 11, 2010
Omenani:

stop it dammit!

he did what was wrong plain and simple!
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Blazay(m): 4:25am On Dec 11, 2010
Just wondering why Charlie Rangle was not sent to jail too.
Only censure? undecided

Biggie man goodu o.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by texazzpete(m): 1:31pm On Dec 11, 2010
Omenani:

God, i LOATHE idiots like you. We're trying to move forward, y'hear?
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by adaphik(f): 2:21pm On Dec 11, 2010
leonaidas:

why are u all sounding as if the man is dead? Ignorance is not an excuse.
Thank u.
SeanT21:

Oh God, stop it.
violent:

stop it dammit!

he did what was wrong plain and simple!
Very true
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Emmyk(m): 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2010
Yeah,I read the news the day it happened. Bout 2weeks ago. His name was hilariously mentioned in the move DANCE FLICK as a ''NO PAYING TAX GUY''.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 11, 2010
@ topic,
he's checked-in already, the rest na story.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by denony(m): 2:38pm On Dec 11, 2010
I will surely miss my man and our brother
have u people forgotten that he is from Edo state?

three years is a long way
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by jerryuzo(m): 2:41pm On Dec 11, 2010
nigeria should learn from this,because we have so called big men or rich people that doesn't pay their tax.we should enfored tax paying to every citizen that is due to pay tax.not focusing on civil or public servants to pay tax.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by 3kay945(m): 3:03pm On Dec 11, 2010
i will surely miss the dude, i like him. this is why i always cherish the american laws. no respecter once you go against the laws. tongue
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Timothyxx(m): 3:34pm On Dec 11, 2010
houvest:

The US no dey play with their Tax o. They wan use am set example to other hollywood and celebrity tax-dodgers. Pele Snipes. You were one of my favourite hollywood stars. Hope you will come out and bounce back to make another US Marshals, Passenger 57, 7 seconds, Liberty stands still, Rising Sun, Blade trilogy, murder at 1600, etc. Please do not try to act 'Undisputed' in Jail inspite of your Karate skills because film na film nobi reality. I will miss you and your intelligent and extraordinary displays shaa for these three years. We dey wait.

Bolded part, LMAO
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Reference(m): 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2010
Wow. Why didn't he do a passenger 57 and perhaps end up in Naija or show up in his blade costume complete with Samurai sword. Which marshal for fit touch am.  grin grin Anyway what a pity. Though these laws are good you cannot but help thinking what the government stands to lose over the three years in potential tax returns from this guy when you consider the dire financial straits the US treasury faces. Like the over-the-top cuts in the UK, a repentant - by his own admission on 'Larry King Live' - tax dodger is a waste of prison resources. I would rather double his tax.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Emmyk(m): 4:00pm On Dec 11, 2010
It might not really last for 3 years.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by buzugee(m): 4:10pm On Dec 11, 2010
some of you guys are ignorant. it is because he is black. all the white hollywood celebs who owed more in taxes were all given a slap on the wrist. an example will be willie nelson  http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,318718,00.html , aaron carter, zsa zsa gabor, nicolas cage etc etc

but having said that though, a white celeb has been locked up but only because she was unapologetic and said blatantly to the judge that 'only poor people pay taxes' that would be leona helmsley.

so the point is that, as a white person, you really have to be a badazz unapologetic uncle sam hating tax dodger before they lock you up. as a black person, all you have to do is evade your taxes. does not matter if you are apologetic and pay the whole thing up.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by buzugee(m): 4:18pm On Dec 11, 2010
denony:

I will surely miss my man and our brother
have u people forgotten that he is from Edo state?

three years is a long way
he will be out in 2
3kay945:

i will surely miss the dude,  i like him. this is why i always cherish the american laws. no respecter once you go against the laws. tongue
absolute bollocks. the law does not apply to white women or most white men. paris hilton and lindsey lohan would have been locked up for 20 years now had they being minorities. consuming drugs while driving, drinking and driving, escaping the scene of an accident, numerous drug possession charges, breaking the conditions of their suspended sentence, are just a few of their infarctions
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by ladej(m): 4:32pm On Dec 11, 2010
buzugee:

he will be out in 2 absolute bollocks. the law does not apply to white women or most white men. paris hilton and lindsey lohan would have been locked up for 20 years now had they being minorities. consuming drugs while driving, drinking and driving, escaping the scene of an accident, numerous drug possession charges, breaking the conditions of their suspended sentence, are just a few of their infarctions

5 cant disagree with this. add pete doherty to the list[ex boyfriend of kate moss], who has gone to court more times than ive gone to the loo, but still no jail time. i appreciate the cases and the gravity are different but u cant help wondering if one law exists for blacks and another for whites even in 2010. having said that snipes is guilty and must pay the time.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Princek12(m): 4:44pm On Dec 11, 2010
ladej:

5 cant disagree with this. add pete doherty to the list[ex boyfriend of kate moss], who has gone to court more times than ive gone to the loo, but still no jail time. i appreciate the cases and the gravity are different but u cant help wondering if one law exists for blacks and another for whites even in 2010. having said that snipes is guilty and must pay the time.

I disagree to an extent. I think a black person with deep pockets, just like the aforementioned celebs, who hires a good lawyer, will probably get like treatment from those judges, for they are all considered petty state crimes.

Wesley snipes violated several federal laws, such as willful failure to pay taxes, perjury, and so on. No one messes with the Internal Revenue Service, whether white or black. They will show you pepper.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by buzugee(m): 5:05pm On Dec 11, 2010
Princek12:

I disagree to an extent. I think a black person with deep pockets, just like the aforementioned celebs, who hires a good lawyer, will probably get like treatment from those judges, for they are all considered petty state crimes.

Wesley snipes violated several federal laws, such as willful failure to pay taxes, perjury, and so on. No one messes with the Internal Revenue Service, whether white or black. They will show you pepper.
really ? can you explain why nicolas cage, aaron carter and willie nelson did not see any jail time ?

and can you explain why plaxico burress is in jail for 3 years for a misdeameanor despite being a rich black man ?
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by buzugee(m): 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2010
ladej:

pete docherty still raisin hell in england ?? grin grin grin grin grin grin. yeah different set of laws for blacks and whites in america. dunno bout england though. england is a very humane country. most judges in england usually dont slam down on minorities.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by JoeGaruba: 6:04pm On Dec 11, 2010
Abeg make una leave inmate 57 alone jooor!
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by favouredjb(f): 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2010
Am sure he ll be pardoned maybe after a year or two
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by blackcypha(m): 7:28pm On Dec 11, 2010
buzugee:

really ? can you explain why[b] nicolas cage[/b], aaron carter and willie nelson did not see any jail time ?

and can you explain why plaxico burress is in jail for 3 years for a misdeameanor despite being a rich black man ?
yeah buzugee
shows how well informed you are, let princek12 and 3kay945
tell us why the above mentioned pple have still not been jailed!
Look the US as much as i like that society for upholding human rights to a large enviable extent,
the white are still getting a fairly better treatment than blacks, period
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by ladej(m): 7:45pm On Dec 11, 2010
buzugee:

pete docherty still raisin hell in england ?? grin grin grin grin grin grin. yeah different set of laws for blacks and whites in america. dunno bout england though. england is a very humane country. most judges in england usually dont slam down on minorities.
hes actually done some time. 2 months here, a month here but his legal woes started close to 7 years ago ! and short of murder and rape hes done everythng else doable,. see here if u have NOTHING to do grin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Doherty
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Yorubah(m): 8:10pm On Dec 11, 2010
Another tactics of bringing a black man carrier to an end, have u ever seen a white dude been treated like this, US Sentimental
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 11, 2010
Firstly there IS a racial element to Snipes' treatment. Those who are not familiar with the US system should please zip it where it concerns racial justice in that country.

Two, Snipes has been unlawfully jailed.

There is no law in the United States requiring anybody to pay tax.
Re: Actor Wesley Snipes Begins Serving Sentence At Pa. Prison (ap) by mamagee3(f): 9:37pm On Dec 11, 2010
What should we all do?

He deserves the sentence he got, I mean he's a millionaire actor with a net income of $38 million annually, he could have paid his taxes instead he chose to spend his money on himself alone while fellow citizens that hardly make up to $100 thousand dollars pay theirs, he sat down and refused to pay his.

Do the crime and serve the consequences, I ain't got time for debate. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

What’s Wrong With This Picture? (tonto Dikeh Kissing A Little Kid Passionately) / Tiwa Savage And Her Breast Stuns In New Photo / Beautiful Nigerian Female Media Personalities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.