Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered (1096 Views)

EFCC Arrests 21 Trucks For Smuggling Foodstuffs To Neighbouring Countries / $11.8M Worth Of Cocaine Disguised As Baby Wipes Seized On US/Mexico Border / Inside El Chapo’s Lair Complete With Hot Tub Tunnel He Used To Escape Cops(Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by snitchbitch: 12:44pm On Jan 30, 2020
US officials say they have discovered the longest smuggling tunnel ever found on the border with Mexico.
Stretching for 4,309ft (1,313m), the tunnel had a lift, rail track, drainage and air ventilation systems, and high voltage electrical cables.
The passageway connected an industrial site in the Mexican city of Tijuana to the San Diego area in California.
There were no arrests made or drugs found. Authorities did not say who they suspected of being behind the tunnel.
But Mexico's Sinaloa cartel, described by the US government as one of the largest drug-trafficking organisations in the world, operates in the area. Its founder and long-time leader, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, is serving life in prison in the US.
How dangerous is Mexico?
Mexico's most powerful drug cartels
The tunnel was discovered in August. Mexican officials identified its entrance and US investigators mapped it, before releasing the findings on Wednesday.
It has an average depth of 70ft (21m) below the surface, with the tunnel being 5.5ft high and 2ft wide, US Customs and Border Protection said. It was not clear how long it took to build it.
"The sophistication and length of this particular tunnel
demonstrates the time-consuming efforts transnational criminal organisations will undertake to facilitate cross-border smuggling," Cardell Morant, acting special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in San Diego, said in a statement.
Several hundred sandbags were discovered blocking a suspected former exit of the tunnel in San Diego's Otay Mesa industrial warehouse area, the statement added. The main tunnel had an incomplete offshoot.
More than a dozen sophisticated tunnels have been found on California's border with Mexico since 2016. The second-longest tunnel in the US, found in San Diego in 2014, was 2,966ft long, the CBP said.
Recent US-Mexico border tunnels
August 2018: A 600ft tunnel stretched from a former KFC in the state of Arizona to Mexico
April 2016: A sophisticated tunnel in San Diego was used to transport an "unprecedented cache" of cocaine and marijuana, according to officials
March 2016: A tunnel ran from a restaurant in Mexico to a house in California
August 2015: An unfinished tunnel with rails, lighting and ventilation is found in Tijuana
US President Donald Trump has made building a border wall
one of his key priorities, saying it is needed to tackle illegal immigration and drug trafficking. But officials say most drugs are smuggled through legal ports of entry, hidden in privately-owned vehicles or transporter lorries, mixed with other goods.
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by snitchbitch: 12:46pm On Jan 30, 2020
security guys will be busy on the ground looking for nothing while my guys are already gone!!!
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by healthserve(m): 12:46pm On Jan 30, 2020
If only they out their mind to positive creative use same energy could have been employed to create an empire.
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by snitchbitch: 12:50pm On Jan 30, 2020
if you wanna be a great, you gotta break the rules man!!!
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by Freestainworld(m): 1:09pm On Jan 30, 2020
mexicans are not smiling.
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by bmdmixer: 1:32pm On Jan 30, 2020
no pics

u looking for a studio to record ur songs? wanna upload ur tracks here www.soundlala.com, house ten LAGOS got u covered dial 090 7525 2828
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by Rexkingsley(m): 1:57pm On Jan 30, 2020
you wey dey creative and positive with your mind how market na
healthserve:
If only they out their mind to positive creative use same energy could have been employed to create an empire.
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by healthserve(m): 1:58pm On Jan 30, 2020
Rexkingsley:
you wey dey creative and positive with your mind how market na

I'm the CEO of a startup company with 25 workers. I'll be creating 1000 jobs over the next four years Sir
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by Rexkingsley(m): 1:59pm On Jan 30, 2020
na so we dey hear
healthserve:

I'm the CEO of a startup company with 25 workers. I'll be creating 1000 jobs over the next four years Sir
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by healthserve(m): 2:01pm On Jan 30, 2020
Rexkingsley:
na so we dey hear

Your problem dude
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by thundafire: 4:39pm On Jan 30, 2020
healthserve:

hahaha c as u make BMC crew shut up
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by healthserve(m): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
thundafire:
hahaha c as u make BMC crew shut up

Results cancels insults my brother
Re: US- Mexico Border: 'longest Ever' Smuggling Tunnel Discovered by snitchbitch: 11:43am On Jan 31, 2020
@healthserve please I need a job, please can you help?

(1) (Reply)

The Most Sensible Beggar In The World / Help Turns Bad: Help Me Identify The Identity Of This Person / Be Careful Of Where You Eat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.