Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally (656 Views)

BREAKING :trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally / Donald Trump Welcomes Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenyan President To The White House. PICS / 'We Wont Kill You, We Will Shoot Your Vagina'- Philippine President To Feminists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by prof2007: 11:59pm On Jan 30, 2020
Donald Trump has become the first US president to attend America's largest annual anti-abortion rally. He addressed thousands of protesters at the March for Life near the US Capitol where his impeachment trial is ongoing.

Mr Trump said: "We're here for a very simple reason: to defend the right of every child born and unborn to fullfil their God-given potential."

The annual demonstration first began in 1974 - a year after the US Supreme Court legalised abortion in Roe v Wade. Until now no president had ever attended the march, which takes place just steps from the White House, though previous Republican presidents, including George W Bush and Ronald Reagan, have addressed the group remotely.

Mike Pence became the first sitting vice-president to attend the rally in 2017. Mr Trump's appearance at the 47th March for Life delighted protesters. Voters who support limiting abortion make up a key constituency for Mr Trump, who is seeking their support at the polls again in the 2020 election.

On Friday, marchers in Washington shouted "four more years" and "we love you". On the streets surrounding the National Mall vendors selling Trump flags and Make America Great Again hats were aplenty. Many of the attendees sported pro-Trump merchandise, though for some, there was a distinction between liking the president and liking his anti-abortion stance.

One young woman, Julia, told the BBC: "I'm not necessarily pro-Trump, but I appreciate that the President of the United States is making the move to be here." She added that she was unhappy at all the focus on Mr Trump as opposed to the issue. "Until the day we can see Roe v Wade switched, [the movement] will continue, whether he's president in the next election or not."

Chuck Raymond, a financial advisor in St Louis, said: "Without a doubt, he is the most pro-life, pro-family, pro-religious freedom president we've ever had."

Mr Trump's appearance on Friday has already made a difference for some voters. Jose Sandoval, who drove nine hours from Knoxville, Tennessee, to participate in the march, said he did not vote for Mr Trump in 2016, but his attendance has changed Mr Sandoval's mind for 2020.

"I really appreciate what he's doing for us," he told the BBC. "It matters what he thinks about [abortion], and this changed my thinking about him."

Mother-daughter pair Marci and Jeanette Houle had a similar journey down to the capital - 10 hours in a bus from New Hampshire. Marci said they appreciated that the president was backing up his anti-abortion stance with his presence. "We voted for Trump in the first place because he was the pro-life [anti-abortion] choice, that was our main concern. If his opponent [in 2020] is not pro-life, we're going to vote for Donald Trump."

In 2016, 81% of Evangelical voters - a group for whom abortion is the biggest political issue - backed Mr Trump for president. He has continued to court them as his re-election campaign ramps up. March for Life president Jeanne Mancini said Mr Trump and his administration "have been consistent champions for life".

But pro-choice groups said his appearance was a distraction tactic. Ilyse Hogue, the president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, said it was "a desperate attempt to divert attention from his criminal presidency and fire up his radical base".

America's two main political parties are more polarised than ever on the issue of abortion. Democrats campaigning for November's White House election are unapologetically pro-choice - something many March for Life attendees said made the candidates inaccessible to anti-abortion supporters, even if they disliked Mr Trump.

In 2016, the Democratic party for the first time included in its platform a call to repeal the Hyde Amendment, a decades-old law that prohibits using taxpayer money for abortions. Last year, leading White House contender Joe Biden was sharply criticised by his Democratic rivals for initially backing the Hyde Amendment. Amid uproar from the party's liberal base, he reversed course in June.

Mr Trump, meanwhile, has bolstered support for anti-abortion views within the Republican party. In 2018, he was the first sitting president to address the Campaign for Life gala, sponsored by the Susan B Anthony List anti-abortion political action group. Earlier this week, the group announced it would spend $52m (£40m) in support of the president and Republicans in 2020.

Mr Trump has appointed conservative judges, banned clinics receiving tax money from promoting abortions and barred federal money going to foreign organisations that educate about or perform abortions.

Anti-abortion activists across the nation have been pushing abortion bans through state legislatures - measures that in some cases would bar an abortion as early as six weeks into a pregnancy. Last year, 17 states enacted some form of abortion restriction, according to the Guttmacher Institute, which promotes research on abortion access.

Anti-abortion groups hope the lawsuits will reach the US Supreme Court, which is now stacked with conservative-leaning justices, and ultimately result in Roe v Wade being overturned. Such a monumental decision would enable individual states, such as those in the South and Midwest, to enshrine the abortion bans they have already passed.

In a few weeks, the justices are expected to take up the first major abortion related case since the arrival of Trump.

Sarah Schultz, who flew in from South Dakota for the rally, said that "the presidency has helped [Mr Trump] figure out the issues for himself. He's making a clear line," she said of his appearance on Friday. "People are going to be drawn to one side or another now - they have to take a stand."

Ms Schultz adds: "I like that the issues are clearer, but in this country, we should be able to discuss our differences without getting angry."

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51239795

2 Likes

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by tartar9(m): 12:01am On Jan 31, 2020
He needs Evangelical moróns solid support now more than ever

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by Officialgarri: 12:05am On Jan 31, 2020
Abortion is a conundrum that will forever remain unsolved.

Once, when I was younger, deceptively, I was stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea; to own a child or to abort a child.
I was/am strongly and openly against abortion but I painfully opted for abortion —although not without crying my eyes out grin

It turned out to be a ruse from that damsel and I failed. It was just a scare

But then, how can you justify bearing a child that you can't obviously cater for?

How can you justify giving birth to a child whom you are so sure would be a sickle cell and will suffer excruciating pains all his/her life?

Should we not now agree that Abortion is not as evil as we think?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by Chinathan: 12:06am On Jan 31, 2020
Trump for 2020

1 Like

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by Cletus77(m): 12:09am On Jan 31, 2020
Abortion is a very sensitive issue.

a. The child doesn't deserve death
b. It is religiously unacceptable

Another angle.

a. The parents knows she can't keep him for one financial reason or the other

b. To prevent children from suffering due to poor or out of wedlock circumstances, as seen around the world.

Some people will vehemently oppose abortion because they haven't been in that position, one of my religious colleague for example, guess what? He didn't even think twice when he got a lady pregnant!

The issue is torn between religious consciousness and liberalism

As For me... THE CHILD DESERVES A CHANCE!

I rest my case

1 Like

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by HallaDaTruth: 12:59am On Jan 31, 2020
This is one of the reasons why they want to remove him. He stands against sodomites, he stands against abortionists, he stands against terrorists, HE STANDS AGAINST EVIL.

TRUMP 2020 IS SURE, HE WILL DEFEAT THEM AGAIN

1 Like

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by mumumugu(m): 12:59am On Jan 31, 2020
TRUMP WANTS TO PREY ON THE RELIGIOUS FOLKS FIR SECOND TERM VOTE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by dheaven: 1:02am On Jan 31, 2020
Politicians are same everywhere in the world just that in developed world corruption is lesser. A politician can help villagers fry garri just for them to see humility in him and vote him into power. Don't be surprise after his reelection he will do contrary.
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by rozario01: 1:32am On Jan 31, 2020
All of you guys typing trash up there should shutup if u know u cant carter for a child why engage in unprotected sex and letter trying to justify your foolishness by abortion if u know you dont have d means to care for a child u better lockup dont test what you wont eat if your mothers have aborted you guys you wont be here typing trash
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by IJOBA2: 2:53am On Jan 31, 2020
tartar9:
He needs Evangelical moróns solid support now more than ever
I THOUGHT YOU ARE A MUSLIM shocked
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by BlackfireX: 2:56am On Jan 31, 2020
Now that is what you call a President supporting life of those unborn.

Unlike the Lifeless FC , that dosent even know for 5years+ that Fulani herdsmen (his brothers) are killing families.
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:57am On Jan 31, 2020
prof2007:
Mr Trump said: "We're here for a very simple reason: to defend the right of every child born and unborn to fullfil their God-given potential."

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51239795
Word ooooooo

Our own president is busy empowering Bokoharam, Fulani herdsmen, bandits to take lives

God bless the United States of America
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by IJOBA2: 2:58am On Jan 31, 2020
Officialgarri:
Abortion is a conundrum that will forever remain unsolved.

Once, when I was younger, deceptively, I was stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea; to own a child or to abort a child.
I was/am strongly and openly against abortion but I painfully opted for abortion —although not without crying my eyes out grin

It turned out to be a ruse from that damsel and I failed. It was just a scare

But then, how can you justify bearing a child that you can't obviously cater for?

How can you justify giving birth to a child whom you are so sure would be a sickle cell and will suffer excruciating pains all his/her life?

Should we not now agree that Abortion is not as evil as we think?

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I SUPPORT PRESIDENT TRUMP. ALLTHINGSGOOD HELINUES AFAMED DEJI17 MACLATUNJI TBABA123 CARINMOM WHATS Y'ALL VIEW ON THIS
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by IJOBA2: 3:01am On Jan 31, 2020
Cletus77:
Abortion is a very sensitive issue.

a. The child doesn't deserve death
b. It is religiously unacceptable

Another angle.

a. The parents knows she can't keep him for one financial reason or the other

b. To prevent children from suffering due to poor or out of wedlock circumstances, as seen around the world.

Some people will vehemently oppose abortion because they haven't been in that position, one of my religious colleague for example, guess what? He didn't even think twice when he got a lady pregnant!

The issue is torn between religious consciousness and liberalism

As For me... THE CHILD DESERVES A CHANCE!

I rest my case
NIGERIAN MUSLIMS ARE PRO-CHOICE SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY HATE PRESIDENT TRUMP

EXCEPT MADRIDGAY THOUGH SORRY MADRIDGUY grin

1 Like

Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by johnkey: 4:01am On Jan 31, 2020
Gawd forgive me for all the abortions in the past, I promise no more aborting my kids.
Re: Trump Becomes First US President To Attend Anti-abortion Rally by deji17: 4:14am On Jan 31, 2020
IJOBA2:
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I SUPPORT PRESIDENT TRUMP. ALLTHINGSGOOD HELINUES AFAMED DEJI17 MACLATUNJI TBABA123 CARINMOM WHATS Y'ALL VIEW ON THIS

lol. Ijoba2.

(1) (Reply)

Mandela:the Only Non-royal Person Allowed To Call The Queen By Her First Name / 5 Star Hotel? - Photos Of Kuwait Lavish COVID-19 Isolation Centres / Chadian Troops Actually Killed And Disarmed Boko Haram Recently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.