Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? (31297 Views)

Difference Between School's Cut-off Mark And Departmental Cut-off Marks / Meet 3 Female Nigerian Mechanics Who Shuttle Between School And Work(photos) / Between School Of Nursing And School Of Health, Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 01, 2020
Please patronize!

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Marcelo290(m): 5:36pm On Feb 01, 2020
In some schools, faculty is replaced with college
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Jeilani244(m): 5:40pm On Feb 01, 2020
They are nearly the same, Polytechnic use school while University makes use of Faculty eg faculty of Applied Science ( university) while School of Applied Science in Polytechnic
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by blasted12: 5:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
FrLukas:

Well I can only go from my own experience in FUTA.

Institutions like FUTA ideally should have their curriculum geared towards more of practical experience and not just classroom learning like UI.

In fact, I think that was the sole purpose of the military government creating schools like FUTA, FUT Minna, FUT Yola and FUTO.

I guess that's why a course that usually takes 4 years in a conventional university takes 5 years in a University of technology like FUTA.
I think this last line is correct but professional courses like engineering, pharmacy, agric etc have 5 year tenures regardless

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by OsamaDallon: 5:45pm On Feb 01, 2020
[s]
blasted12:
I think this last line is correct but professional courses like engineering, pharmacy, agric etc have 5 year tenures regardless
[/s]
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by JosefAndre: 5:58pm On Feb 01, 2020
I had always pondered over this, and I came up with a conclusion :

1. SCHOOL: it is used as a division housing various departments in Nigerian Universities of technology also synonymous to polytechnics because of the issuance of B. TECH

2. COLLEGE: : it is used as a division housing various departments in Nigerian Universities of Agriculture.

3. FACULTY: : it is used as a division housing various departments in Nigerian conventional Universities.

I stand to be corrected.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Neddyogu(m): 6:03pm On Feb 01, 2020
Fulaniherdmens:
College is an institution & faculty is a body of departments found in college while school is the collective body of college and universities shocked shocked

So "School of Postgraduate studies" or "School of General studies" is a collective body of colleges or universities?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 01, 2020
blasted12:

Well, I know that Pharmacy does have 5 years, but it wasn't part of the initial program of a Federal University of Technology.

I don't know about the various engineering departments in a conventional university though.

But I know that of architecture. 4 years in UNILAG and OAU, 5 years in FUTA.

Unless things have changed since I was last in school.
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by blasted12: 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2020
FrLukas:

Well, I know that Pharmacy does have 5 years, but it wasn't part of the initial program of a Federal University of Technology.

I don't know about the various engineering departments in a conventional university though.

But I know that of architecture. 4 years in UNILAG and OAU, 5 years in FUTA.

Unless things have changed since I was last in school.
you're right about architecture being 4 years in a conventional school while being 5 years in a UNITECH but engineering, pharmacy and agric are 5 year courses everywhere. At least in this country

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by OsamaDallon: 6:21pm On Feb 01, 2020
[s]
blasted12:
you're right about architecture being 4 years in a conventional school while being 5 years in a UNITECH but engineering, pharmacy and agric are 5 year courses everywhere. At least in this country
[/s]
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by MichaelUweh(m): 7:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
In my almamata, we call call it school of engineering, school of business management, school of environmental studies and so on.....
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by MichaelUweh(m): 7:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
In my almamata, we call it school of engineering, school of business management, school of environmental studies and so on.....
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by ranmoor: 7:40pm On Feb 01, 2020
Everything is kind of related. For e.g.

(1) Faculty is synonymous with School or College
FUNAAB uses college of engineering
YABATECH uses school of Engineering
UNILAG uses Faculty of Engineering
In all cases it means group of related discipline. Note that Faculty is never used synonymously with higher institution

(2) sometimes School = College =University/Polytechnics
means higher institutions e.g. Colorodo School of Mines, Imperial College, Yabatech
So its all about the set of nomenclature the institution want to take.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by ranmoor: 7:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
JosefAndre:
I had always pondered over this, and I came up with a conclusion :

1. SCHOOL: it is used as a division housing various departments in Nigerian Universities of technology also synonymous to polytechnics because of the issuance of B. TECH

2. COLLEGE: : it is used as a division housing various departments in Nigerian Universities of Agriculture.

3. FACULTY: : it is used as a division housing various departments in Nigerian conventional Universities.

I stand to be corrected.
LAUTECH issues BTech and they uses Faculty... except for the College of Medicine

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by mechanics(m): 7:50pm On Feb 01, 2020
The same thing, it depends on which a university adopt, technology universities adopt school, why conventional universities adopt both college and faculty.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by MYSTIC19(m): 8:11pm On Feb 01, 2020
Hmm... Lemme pack here
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Legendguru: 10:09pm On Feb 01, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
[left][/left]
barnny:

How e dey do you na grin
angry sad shocked lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 01, 2020
Read the Question and Answer.. pls don’t quote me.
Lazy Nigerian Youths with Forged Brain. undecided
Neddyogu:

So "School of Postgraduate studies" or "School of General studies" is a collective body of colleges or universities?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by olamy7(m): 10:36pm On Feb 01, 2020
The same thing with different name, meamwhile
I have a good news for someone, if you are the one then click on my signature
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by DozieInc(m): 11:23pm On Feb 01, 2020
fergie001:
It's all semantics....for administrative purposes.

A school will streamline into courses in a particular subject area.

A faculty position entails a more broader organisational structure.

In Nigeria.....Universities of Technology use School
Universities of Agriculture use College
Conventional Universities use Faculty

A college will not always be headed by a Provost.
Makes sense
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Mypeople2(m): 11:39pm On Feb 01, 2020
Childishbanjino:
A college is a school for higher learning. To attend, a student must have completed high school, and of course, be accepted in the admissions process. Colleges are 4-year institutions, offering Bachelor’s (or 4-year) degrees. Generally, a student, upon completion of college, earns a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, etc. (A community college is a 2-year program, where a student can earn a 2-year associates degree and after which a student transfers to a regular college to earn a bachelor’s.) “College” is the common, general American term that refers to all study after high school.

A university is a larger institution, made up of more than one college. So, you can attend the University of Connecticut, taking your courses in the College of Arts and Sciences. You can earn a Bachelor’s from a university. The big difference is that a university also offers graduate programs to earn a Master’s degree, and even higher, a Doctorate (or Phd).

In the USA, “school” can refer to any college or university, as in “Where do you go to school for veterinary studies?” or “Are you excited to go back to school in a few weeks?” “School” can also refer to any institution of learning, from preschool to elementary school to middle school to college. “School” also refers to a particular program or even college within a university, such as, “the school of medicine,” or “the school of education.”
Institute can mean many things, but usually refers to an organization—sometimes a college or university, sometimes not—whose focus is learning and research, particularly in the sciences.

Faculty in the USA refers entirely to teachers and professors, in any college, university or even high school. It is the word for this group of people and is singular, “The faculty is very happy about the pay increase.” A single person is referred to as a faculty member of member of the faculty. Or just teacher or professor.
Department is to an area of study. You take classes in the music department—this refers to all the music teachers, their classes, and even where their offices are located. “Dr. Smith is a member of the fine arts department.” “What classes did you take in the physics department?” “What building is the English department located in?”

Center usually refers to a place on campus—it could be the student center (snack bar, meeting rooms, offices, etc.), the fine arts center (studios, classrooms, exhibition halls, etc.).

Culled from Quora.com
My guy clean everything you write for that place .You wrote what everyone knows

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Neddyogu(m): 6:40am On Feb 02, 2020
Fulaniherdmens:
Read the Question and Answer.. pls don’t quote me.
Lazy Nigerian Youths with Forged Brain. undecided

Read ur answer again and see whose brain is forged. Bloody idiot. Scram scallywag
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 02, 2020
vincentjk:
Faculties are like branches

Peradventure CATEGORY
Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by theSpark(m): 11:19am On Feb 02, 2020
Technical institutions such as Universities of Technology that offer B.Tech, M.Tech degrees and polytechnics call their body of interrelated departments "School".

Conventional Universities that give regular degrees B.A, B.Sc, M.A, M.Sc etc call their body of interrelated departments "Faculty".

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by Getdowntobiznes: 9:01pm On Feb 02, 2020
Fulaniherdmens:
College is an institution & faculty is a body of departments found in college while school is the collective body of college and universities shocked shocked
any critics?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? by AdamsAbubakar(m): 1:39pm On Feb 04, 2020
llprincztonp:
Best explanation so far
Which?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kenyan Teacher Flogs 11-year-old Pupil So Badly He Could Barely Walk (photos) / Which Course Has More Job Opportunities After Graduation in Nigeria? / Strike: Fg Mulls Unification Of ASUU, Ssanu, Nasu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.