Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) (531 Views)

Are We Supposed To Be Doing Church Or Practicing Ecclesia? / Daddy Freeze: "Meet NIMROD Whose Birthday Christians Are Celebrating Today" / Pope Decries Attack On Nigerian Church As Christians Protest Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 2:01am On Feb 02, 2020
This has been confusing me a lot. I feel guilty whenever am having pleasure in wordly activities and i feel bored if i do not engage in them. Many a times,Jesus condemned 'love for wordly things'.He also stated how nearly impossible it is to enter the kingdom of Heaven being a rich man on Earth. In the Beautitudes, he also talked about the eternal benefits gotten by one who is in lack on Earth. At this point, how should we Christians act daily to be on the right path? Should we just do away with success, affluence,happiness on Earth and be in sorrow and a state of repentance for the rest of our lives?

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Bluezy13(m): 2:17am On Feb 02, 2020
Blakewilli:
This has been confusing me a lot. I feel guilty whenever am having pleasure in wordly activities and i feel bored if i do not engage in them. Many a times,Jesus condemned 'love for wordly things'.He also stated how nearly impossible it is to enter the kingdom of Heaven being a rich man on Earth. In the Beautitudes, he also talked about the eternal benefits gotten by one who is in lack on Earth. At this point, how should we Christians act daily to be on the right path? Should we just do away with success, affluence,happiness on Earth and be in sorrow and a state of repentance for the rest of our lives?

Depends on your definition of "worldly activities" so I won't comment on it.
Depends on the substance of your success, affluence, happiness. And by substance I mean the source and the purpose for success, affluence and happiness.

And notice that the Bible says it is difficult and not impossible which implies that a rich man has a greater chance of concentrating his life on acquiring and maintaining riches instead of the things of God and riches most often times begets pride, insubordination, segregation and indignation.

Pride: a feeling that he has arrived and since he isn't lacking, he doesn't need God nor God's help.

Insubordination: a state of being stubborn and rebellious, disobedient to the dictates and commandments of God, wanting to but feeling like not having time to do the things of God...like going on souls winning or devoting time to contribute manually and financially to God's work or perhaps a feeling that there's always a way out due to his riches. Or thinking that salvation can be bought with money.

Segregation: a state of associating only with people of like status, favouring people of a particular class over the other.

Indignation: Considering people of lower class as inferior, not wanting to associate with the poor and seeing and treating them as less humans as if their state is their fault.

But there are also rich people who live according to God's dictates, to those ones, it is possible to enter the kingdom.

The nutshell is that being rich is not a sin, but the substance of your riches, the purpose for being rich, and how you live your rich life determines it.
Your riches may not let you do the right thing

1 Like

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 02, 2020
Mostly casual activities-following up the entertainment industry, caring about how i look etc. As for the source of success, legit means but still, is being excessively wealthy, healthy for the spirit
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by chiommy123(f): 4:03am On Feb 02, 2020
Nothing wrong with Christians being happy. God is not happy when we are unhappy. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness every other thing shall be added unto you. He even prayed that we prosper and be in good health just as our souls prosperth

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by malvisguy212: 6:48am On Feb 02, 2020
Every Christians deserved happiness and good life, but in this present dispensation, there are more work to be done than merriment.
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by AntiChristian: 6:58am On Feb 02, 2020
Even Jesus wept more than he laughed!

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Liliyann(f): 7:05am On Feb 02, 2020
Joy is one of the fruit of the spirit.
God wants us to be happy always!
An unhappy Christian is an Unfulfilled Christian!
We seek our happiness from God and in serving him.
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Aryastarks(f): 7:33am On Feb 02, 2020
I pray I'm happy one day
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by paxonel(m): 7:51am On Feb 02, 2020
Blakewilli:
spending your money and having fun with friends going to parties and other social groups are never worldly so long they are legitimate.

Also, when Christ stated that it was impossible for a rich man to enter God's kingdom. Identify what he meant by God's kingdom, he meant the time of his death and resurrection. Luke 13:25

Going by what happened when Christ came on earth to die and resurrect (approx: 2000 years ago) it was impossible for a rich to abandon all his wealth and give them to the poor and come follow Jesus Christ and become his disciple and follow him through the wilderness to Jerusalem where he will be crucified and resurrected to bring down his kingdom on earth.

So when Christ was saying it is impossible for a rich man to enter God's kingdom, he wasn't talking to you today but the rich men of that generation of 2000 years ago .

Before his crucifixion God's kingdom wasn't here among men so it was required of men to leave all their wealth and follow Christ to Jerusalem. Even Peter says we have left all and follow you. Matthew 19:27
But after his crucifixion and resurrection that requirement of becoming poor does not stand anymore.

If you have never understood the bible to this point you can never be free, you will just be suffering for nothing in the name of being sobber
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Fortissimo502: 8:37am On Feb 02, 2020
Choose one. Be led by the spirit (assuming you're born again) or be led by the flesh. You can't mix and match. By the way, being happy in Jesus will actually make you happier on earth. The question is what is the source of your happiness. Only you can truly answer that.
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Fortissimo502: 8:45am On Feb 02, 2020
paxonel:
spending your money and having fun with friends going to parties and other social groups are never worldly so long they are legitimate.

Also, when Christ stated that it was impossible for a rich man to enter God's kingdom. Identify what he meant by God's kingdom, he meant the time of his death and resurrection. Luke 13:25

Going by what happened when Christ came on earth to die and resurrect (approx: 2000 years ago) it was impossible for a rich to abandon all his wealth and give them to the poor and come follow Jesus Christ and become his disciple and follow him through the wilderness to Jerusalem where he will be crucified and resurrected to bring down his kingdom on earth.

So when Christ was saying it is impossible for a rich man to enter God's kingdom, he wasn't talking to you today but the rich men of that generation of 2000 years ago .

Before his crucifixion God's kingdom wasn't here among men so it was required of men to leave all their wealth and follow Christ to Jerusalem. Even Peter says we have left all and follow you. Matthew 19:27
But after his crucifixion and resurrection that requirement of becoming poor does not stand anymore.

If you have never understood the bible to this point you can never be free, you will just be suffering for nothing in the name of being sobber

What is your definition of wordly?

By the way, I believe what Jesus said applies to everyone. I believe he's saying rich people trust in their wealth. It's difficult to let go of something as secure as wealth for something as "intangible" as the kingdom of God.

Why do you think its mainly people who have hit rock bottom or have no other options that see God move mightily in their life?

People who have other options or think they have other options usually try those options before God. Unfortunately that limits God's movement.

Jesus said we should approach his kingdom like children. This means we should recognize our helplessness.

Heaven doesn't help those who help themselves. Heaven helps the helpless.
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by paxonel(m): 10:30am On Feb 02, 2020
Fortissimo502:

What is your definition of wordly?
this physical world it means ungodliness or sinfulness or lust in committing sin. That means the individual is not doing something legitimate.

Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

So, going to parties and catching fun with friends isn't a sin or worldly, so long you are doing something legitimate.

On the other hand in spiritual terms, Worldly means not conforming with the new covenant in Christ. That is, not believing in Christ as your sanctuary to salvation but depending on a worldly sanctuary like Judaism who had the old covenant(for the Israelites who refused to believe in Christ)

Hebrews 9:1 Then verily the first covenant(the old covenant) had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

By the way, I believe what Jesus said applies to everyone.
why will you believe a thing like that, did Jesus Christ said it applies to everyone?
Let's not impersonify what does not worth to be impersonified as the least person in God's kingdom is greater than all those disciples Jesus was talking to.
Today, you are already in God's kingdom but they were never in God's kingdom at that time, so you are better.

I believe he's saying rich people trust in their wealth.
trust in their wealth for what?
For their salvation?
I don't think there is any rich Christian today that his trusting on his wealth for his salvation, not even non Christians.

It's difficult to let go of something as secure as wealth for something as "intangible" as the kingdom of God.
yes!
That was what happened when Christ told a rich man to give all his wealth to the poor and come follow him, It was very difficult to do that.
That was bible days when there was no salvation.

And be assured that God will never request any wealthy Christian today to let go of his wealth for anything. He already have his salvation why will he loose his wealth?

Why do you think its mainly people who have hit rock bottom or have no other options that see God move mightily in their life?
that's not true!
Yes, it's true that sometimes one have to look away from things that may distract their attention when they seek God in prayer, things like their wealth. But God is not moved mightly in their life because they want to do away with distractions and focus on him, God isn't emotional like that.
God is only moved when the person obey simple instructions and natural laws of love your neighbour as yourself and believing in Christ for his salvation.

People who have other options or think they have other options usually try those options before God. Unfortunately that limits God's movement.
it depend!
If the other options are doing something illegitimate or denying Christ, these are the only conditions that limits God in the life of anyone.
But if a Christian who is making his wealth legitimately does not allow his money to enter his head and become pompous, then God can never be limited in the life of that person.

Jesus said we should approach his kingdom like children. This means we should recognize our helplessness.
he wasn't even talking to you, so stop using the word "we"

Heaven doesn't help those who help themselves. Heaven helps the helpless.
let the helpless remain there waiting and not do anything about their plight let's see whether they will get help grin
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 02, 2020
paxonel:

Identify what he meant by God's kingdom, he meant the time of his death and resurrection. Luke 13:25
Before his crucifixion God's kingdom wasn't here
Nice one, but God-forbid that this be God's kingdom.
This is the end time preceeding the coming of God's kingdom. Somehow, i feel we shouldn't love the world but we should just fuifill the laws, necessary on Earth. For jesus said ''the world will hate you as it hated me' and he also said 'do not love things of the world for he loves things of the world do not love things of the father. You cant serve two masters at the same time.
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by paxonel(m): 12:22am On Feb 03, 2020
Blakewilli:
Nice one, but God-forbid that this be God's kingdom.
why did you say so?

This is the end time preceeding the coming of God's kingdom.
his resurrection marks his kingdom on earth. From that moment of his resurrection till now all believers have been in heaven her on this earth.
This is the reality and the truth.

Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Before he was crucified he told his disciples in

Luke 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Then, after he resurrected, he still met his disciples and said:

Luke 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

Then, to fulfill what he told them in Luke 22:18 that he will not eat until the kingdom is come, he did this.

Luke 24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.

He took bread and blessed it and and gave to them in the kingdom of God.

Therefore, the kingdom of God is just simply change of era, time.
Change from the era of the old covenant to the era of the new covenant, From BC to AD.

Somehow, i feel we shouldn't love the world but we should just fuifill the laws, necessary on Earth.
the laws you are talking about have it foundation from love. Romans 13:9
So, you can't avoid loving the world if you must keep to the laws of the world.

For jesus said ''the world will hate you as it hated me'
if the world hate you, does that mean that you should hate the world in return? I don't think that's what Jesus thought.
On the contrary, he thought that we should forgive 70 times 7: meaning, even when we are hated we should forgive continually.

and he also said 'do not love things of the world for he loves things of the world do not love things of the father. You cant serve two masters at the same time.
the things of the world he referred to here, are wrong doings of the world, that is what we should hate.

But anything that is good, like having fun, meeting with people, party together etc. We don't have choice but to love.

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 03, 2020
paxonel:
why did you say so?
his resurrection marks his kingdom on earth.
well, its due to the rampant killings, sexual atrocities,epidemic outbreaks etc that are ongoing on Earth . Your post is very extensive indeed. I guess i understand.
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by paxonel(m): 6:47am On Feb 03, 2020
Blakewilli:
well, its due to the rampant killings, sexual atrocities,epidemic outbreaks etc that are ongoing on Earth . Your post is very extensive indeed. I guess i understand.
it was worst than this in the past.
Infact, there were cases of men enslaving fellow men. You know what means?
The slave master has the right to sexually abuse his female slaves and kill the males at will because they were at his disposal, nobody could question him.
Also, there were cases of deadly diseases like leprosy, if you read the old testament you will find a lost this.
But ever since Christ came to earth to die the narrative is gradually changing for better.
Through the teachings of Christ in the scripture there was a mental revolution in the mindset of people. Read the bible changes how people think.
Today, the relative peace the nations of the world are enjoying is as a result of Christ emphasizing love for fellow mankind, value that eventually became the philosophy of most world's organizations like the UN and the Common wealth.
There was drastically reduction of slave trade among continents and other several related injustice perpertrated by men to fellow men.
Infact, with the invent of the internet and the social media there has transparency to a large extent in hiden crimes of remote regions. People are seeing and hearing what is happening outside their local environment.

See what Christ said.

Luke 8:17 For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Certainly, the world is getting better and it is moving towards the right direction.

1 Like

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 03, 2020
paxonel:
it was worst than this in the past.
Infact, there were cases of men enslaving fellow men. You know what means?
The slave master has the right to sexually abuse his female slaves and kill the males at will because they were at his disposal, nobody could question him.
Also, there were cases of deadly diseases like leprosy, if you read the old testament you will find a lost this.
But ever since Christ came to earth to die the narrative is gradually changing for better.
Through the teachings of Christ in the scripture there was a mental revolution in the mindset of people. Read the bible changes how people think.
Today, the relative peace the nations of the world are enjoying is as a result of Christ emphasizing love for fellow mankind, value that eventually became the philosophy of most world's organizations like the UN and the Common wealth.
There was drastically reduction of slave trade among continents and other several related injustice perpertrated by men to fellow men.
Infact, with the invent of the internet and the social media there has transparency to a large extent in hiden crimes of remote regions. People are seeing and hearing what is happening outside their local environment.

See what Christ said.

Luke 8:17 For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Certainly, the world is getting better and it is moving towards the right direction.
We pray so.

1 Like

Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 26, 2020
Blakewilli:
Re: As Christians, Are We Supposed To Be Sober Or Happy On Earth?(picture) by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 26, 2020
Pleasure of the world brings damnation

(1) (Reply)

Preparing For Rapture, Part 14. Understanding The Time - The End-time / Why I Converted From Islam To Christianity / COVID-19 Vaccine Will Carry A Microchip With The Number 666 Of The Antichrist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.