Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,975 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road (28243 Views)

Lagos-Ibadan Rail: FG To Demolish Parts Of Apapa Port Terminals - (Pics) / Journey To Ghana By Road And My 1 Week Experience Here / Abuja-kaduna Rail: FG To Inaugurate 10 New Coaches, Two Locomotives – Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Blue3k2: 5:05pm On Feb 02, 2020
Nike Popoola

The Federal Government plans to ban the movement of certain category of cargoes on some roads after the completion of major railways in the country.

The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, said this in Lagos during a panel session on infrastructure development and financing at an event organised by Deloitte on Nigeria Economic Outlook 2020.

“As soon as we finish these rail projects, there are some types of cargo that will not go on road, whether you like it or not,” he said.

While giving an account of ongoing rail construction and other new ones to be constructed, he said it was important to transfer the cargo movement to the rail track.

This, he said, would enable the roads to last longer.

He said railway transportation for passengers was usually subsidised but was uncertain if cargo would be subsidised, adding that the cost of construction must be paid back.

“No matter what we charge, it will not be the same as what we charge you on goods,” he said.

The minister said that movement of goods would be faster when they were moved by railways than roads, which would also be time-saving for businesses.

“When the FG does rail projects, it is the job of the state governments to do roads to (connect to) the different railway stations,” Amaechi added.

In their last meeting with states governors, he said Transportation Ministry agreed that it could construct some level of roads that would take the passengers out of the stations.

He stressed that it was essentially the duty of the state governments and not the Federal Government to do the inner roads in their states.

The minister said that they also agreed that contractors could construct some few metres of roads out of the stations, but others were to be done by the state governments.

Amaechi said the government was investing in human capital development to enable Nigerian citizens to take over the construction of railways in the country in the next five to 10 years.

While noting that currently, the Chinese engineers were involved in major construction projects in the country, he said about 150 Nigerians were being trained in China to develop knowledge in this area.

Ameachi said the Federal Government would build railway universities in the country, and bring English-speaking Chinese to teach in the institutions.

Source: https://punchng.com/rail-fg-to-ban-heavy-cargo-transport-by-road/

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Officialgarri: 5:07pm On Feb 02, 2020
Wonderful.... I mean... Soooooo wonderful.
Free roads and less accidents
While traveling you sometimes find your car choked inbetween donkeys, onions and tomatoes and I begin to wonder if it's like this in other countries.

Amaechi is no doubt the most reasonable minister for transport we've ever had.

173 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by SLAP44: 5:09pm On Feb 02, 2020
If Dangote catch Amechi ehhh! grin

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by sarrki(m): 5:12pm On Feb 02, 2020
I don’t believe anything about this government anymore

Is the rail system to other part of the country effectively running?

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Blue3k2: 5:16pm On Feb 02, 2020
He said railway transportation for passengers was usually subsidised but was uncertain if cargo would be subsidised, adding that the cost of construction must be paid back.

The FG better purge the ridiculous idea of subsidizing freight services. These same businesses find money to pay these truckers with the subsidies. Freight services is what supposed to help the government at least break even on rail. The federal government is just going raise taxes to pay for it.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Officialgarri: 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2020
sarrki:

I think for a few days now, you have been seriously seeking validation from people to welcome you into the wailing community.

I'm not saying you shouldn't complain about this administration, but I don't expect you to fall in the category of 'ignorant' wailers who just want to complain even when it's not necessary.

What I'm saying is that you should be constructive and mature. Complain when necessary and stay mute when the news is good.

132 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Okoroawusa: 5:19pm On Feb 02, 2020
sarrki:

Read very well...

Amaechi said when the rails are finished... not now. It was a round table discussion n he outlined the aim for the rails. It not might even be implemented by this government.

Like I said...Read very well

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Officialgarri: 5:19pm On Feb 02, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Read very well...

Amaechi said when the rails are finished... not now. It was a round table discussion n he outlined the aim for the rails. It might even be implemented by this government.

He is obviously back in the category of ignorant wailers. They just don't want to hear anything good from the administration.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Okoroawusa: 5:20pm On Feb 02, 2020
Officialgarri:

I think for a few days now, you have been seriously seeking validation from people to welcome you into the wailing community.

I'm not saying you shouldn't complain about this administration, but I don't expect you to fall in the category of 'ignorant' wailers who just want to complain even when it's not necessary.

What I'm saying is that you should be constructive and mature. Complain when necessary and stay mute when the news is good.
Exactly what I just told him

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Okoroawusa: 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2020
Officialgarri:

He is obviously back in the category of ignorant wailers. They just don't want to hear anything good from the administration.
He is doing a bad job of it.

14 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by sarrki(m): 5:24pm On Feb 02, 2020
Officialgarri:

I voted for him based on security

That’s my yard stick to measure this government

It’s a personal opinion

I am also entitled to it

If Boko Haram can’t be tamed , armed banditry and kidnappings with the billions of Naira

Ow do you want me to believe anything again

40 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by sarrki(m): 5:26pm On Feb 02, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Read very well...

Amaechi said when the rails are finished... not now. It was a round table discussion n he outlined the aim for the rails. It might even be implemented by this government.

All I want from this government is securing life and property 100%

Am not saying they should abandon other sectors

Security is paramount

Without security nothing can be achieved

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Okoroawusa: 5:31pm On Feb 02, 2020
sarrki:

All I want from this government is securing life and property 100%

Am not saying they should abandon other sectors

Security is paramount

Without security nothing can be achieved
Egbon ona k'osi mbi t'enlo e o!!

Oro e k'oyemi mo!

I love you that is y am saying this o!

What is the co-relation between rail freight n this security issue you just brought up?

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Officialgarri: 5:43pm On Feb 02, 2020
sarrki:

It’s a personal opinion

I am also entitled to it

If Boko Haram can’t be tamed , armed banditry and kidnappings with the billions of Naira

I never said don't complain at all. As a matter of fact, I harbor my own grudges towards this administration.

However, the news report here seem more like a right step regarding transportation system in Nigeria. I don't think one needs to show disapproval of good news in protest for security. It's petty

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by deji68: 5:50pm On Feb 02, 2020
In countries With very good rail system, Trucks are Not banned from plying highways... Naija and stupid policies Sha smh

4 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by sarrki(m): 6:25pm On Feb 02, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Egbon ona k'osi mbi t'enlo e o!!

Oro e k'oyemi mo!

I love you that is y am saying this o!

What is the co-relation between rail freight n this security issue you just brought up?

Oro baba ko sumi ni

Kini awon service chiefs sin se?

Ko sakki won

1 Like

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Ovamboland(m): 6:49pm On Feb 02, 2020
sarrki:

It’s a personal opinion

I am also entitled to it

Still the same ignorant throbs, you think insurgency is curbed by spending few billions,

America has spent trillions of $$ and is still afraid of terrorist attacks on it's soil till today

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by sarrki(m): 6:57pm On Feb 02, 2020
Ovamboland:

Still the same ignorant throbs, you think insurgency is curbed by spending few billions,

America has spent trillions of $$ and is still afraid of terrorist attacks on it's soil till today

America you talked about keep doing research and advancing in technology to combat it

What are the measures our government doing to curb this ?

8 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Bighead9: 7:29pm On Feb 02, 2020
Buhari is working. grin grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Sammy07: 7:31pm On Feb 02, 2020
sarrki:

It’s a personal opinion

I am also entitled to it

You should then have made the statement in a security related thread

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Guestlander: 7:47pm On Feb 02, 2020
SLAP44:
If Dangote catch Amechi ehhh! grin

Dangote is more likely to applaud him. Rail transportation is cheaper than roads and not susceptible to delays like roads. Cheaper and faster movement of goods can only be good news to Dangote.

11 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by thundafire: 7:56pm On Feb 02, 2020
Common sense not common in Nigeria,der are no railways dat crisscross Nigeria connecting state to state and even wen dat happens wouldn't dey heavy cargo still be put in trucks to dey final destination it's quite a shame all our leaders have been blind,work on Calabar ports which is closer to Northern part of Nigeria then repair roads to Class A standard then let's c if trucks will be breaking down anyhow

4 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by rightchic(f): 8:12pm On Feb 02, 2020
It's a good development, but I'll advice you create a special lane for them instead or they ply at night.

Please check my signature for your high quality tiles.
Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Perfecttouchade: 8:12pm On Feb 02, 2020
Better
Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by Shellsploit: 8:13pm On Feb 02, 2020
Hope the trains wont start derailing everyday cheesy
Dangote wont be happy with this development.

1 Like

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by berrystunn(m): 8:14pm On Feb 02, 2020
Ban?
Everywhere ban ban

They will ban people from drinking and smoking in public.

They will ban runs girls
They will ban style of dressing.

2 Likes

Re: Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road by princemillla(m): 8:15pm On Feb 02, 2020
You gotta be kidding me with this rising insecurity I would send my goods via train?

Except the fare is fair compare to bus and assurance on safety

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Ebonyi International Airport To Be Completed In 2022" - Governor Umahi (photos) / Petrol Tanker Explodes In Edo, Kills Many (Photos) / Bus Driver Fights With LASTMA Officials After Passing One Way In Sabo, Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.