Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,503 members, 7,954,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:35 PM

Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). (7642 Views)

How Igala Conquered And Colonized Igbos (1450–18th Century) * / Uche Okwukwu: APC To Win More Igbo States Before 2023– Ohanaeze SecretaryGeneral / Northern Muslims Still Under Colonisation – Emir Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 2:14pm On Feb 03, 2020
celeiyke:
If Igala colonized the Igbo, we would have had the Ilorin situation in Igboland.

You do. Eri migrated from Igala. Eze Chima migrated from Benin

Read below

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by T9ksy(m): 3:40pm On Feb 03, 2020
kayfra:

It's pro bono work so I won't be mad if I fail grin

grin grin grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by mp3ree: 4:02pm On Feb 03, 2020
technicallyrich:

i have read all you wrote and i have said they are trash.
We have igallas in east,just like we ijaws are in the west.
[b]We ijaws can even defeat and conquer the yaribanza as they are streghntless and weak.
[b][/b][/b]But you dont see us make noise about it.
Hope you know igallas are also in bayelsa.so we you say they conquered ijaws.which is not even possible as ijaws are the strongest,bravest,richest and most blessed black people on earth.
Igallas are our minority brothers,a small biafran tribe mostly found in ss,se and some middle belt part of biafra.
You can never cause problem for us.

boastful
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Kamanuozuzu: 4:59pm On Feb 03, 2020
coolitempa:
The Ibos should be very grateful for the British intervention because had they not come in,....it is possible that most of them would have by now been speaking Yoruba and Igalla. I mean the IMO are from Yoruba, northern ibos were slaves of Igallas and southern ibos were sold by the Ijaws...also onisha and agbor were under the Benin kingdom. No group of people can be more thankful to Nigeria coming together than the ibos.

We heartily thank you! Una well-done o.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by revolt(m): 5:26pm On Feb 03, 2020
Ritchiee:
Kayfra,pls pardon the Igbos until they start their usual stupidity again.I have known,after reading their history,that the intelligent ones amongst them are the Igalas who have metamorphosed into Igbo just like the Yorubas in IMO state who migrated from Ile Ife but are now Igbos.Vanguard carried some stories about them recently.

What we need now is to come together and sieve out the stones in our rice threatening to break our teeth.
this as you may not know is the reason igbos are very diverse. Igbos are the first and only ethnici4y that's made up of people that migrated and chose to become igbo in the past..from ijaw to hausa, to yoruba, to benin, Sean, tiv, bibi etc. That's why its more of a nation than an ethnicity. My great grandfather may not even be igbo. As we simply cannot trace where he originally came from, but we do know our grand dad assimilated and chose to be a NWAFOR. This is the same with other s too.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2020
revolt:
this as you may not know is the reason igbos are very diverse. Igbos are the first and only ethnici4y that's made up of people that migrated and chose to become igbo in the past..from ijaw to hausa, to yoruba, to benin, Sean, tiv, bibi etc. That's why its more of a nation than an ethnicity. My great grandfather may not even be igbo. As we simply cannot trace where he originally came from, but we do know our grand dad assimilated and chose to be a NWAFOR. This is the same with other s too.

Glad I am helping you guys discover yourselves grin

4 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Shiver99: 11:39pm On Feb 03, 2020
Lol, you guys are hilarious undecided, you don’t ever rest?

Just because the Nupe, Benin, dahomey, Fulani and amongst many others colonised and conquered you guys, you’re taking it out on Igbos?

Chai.

12 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Rapmoney(m): 11:47pm On Feb 03, 2020
kayfra:
Igala created Ikenga, Ojukwu's title, and the Eze's were crowned in present day Kogi State. They ruled over Igbos for close to 4 centuries. Damn yo shocked

The Fulanis literally saved the Igbos from continued domination by the powerful Igalas. I am shocked angry grin

Knowledge is very far from you. Cheap internet plans have made it possible for kids to come online to type crap!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 11:53pm On Feb 03, 2020
Rapmoney:

Knowledge is very far from you. Cheap internet plans have made it possible for kids to come online to type crap!

You mean kids like Chinua Achebe that was quoted or the british historians that questioned your ancestors?

The fact that you are embarrassed of your history doesn't make it invalid grin

6 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by MrColdsweat: 12:11am On Feb 04, 2020
unbitchable:
ibos were a conquered people under the Igala empire. students of history already knew this.
You must be sick in the head to equate the northern Igbos in upper anambra and nsukka to the whole igbos in over 8 states in Nigeria.

Continue sticking your head in the gutter.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by MrColdsweat: 12:18am On Feb 04, 2020
The funny thing is, the idiot has not dropped a single link to verify his claims.

No worry, Igbo giants will continue to pursue you in your dreams.

7 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 1:00am On Feb 04, 2020
MrColdsweat:
The funny thing is, the idiot has not dropped a single link to verify his claims.

No worry, Igbo giants will continue to pursue you in your dreams.

You must be blind and slow. Here it is again

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319687582_IGALA_COLONISATION_OF_NORTHERN_IGBO_STATES_1450-18th_century

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by MrColdsweat: 2:28am On Feb 04, 2020
kayfra:

You must be blind and slow. Here it is again

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319687582_IGALA_COLONISATION_OF_NORTHERN_IGBO_STATES_1450-18th_century

There is no place in the publication that claims that igalas colonized igbos. Even the publisher claimed that the history of the Igbos is still in contention.

You are just pained and frustrated. Go and commit suicide. Afterall, suicide is your culture.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by MrColdsweat: 2:34am On Feb 04, 2020
Go and appease the spirit of your leader alaafin awole placed curse on the yoruba nation that they'll always and forever be slaves.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by MrColdsweat: 2:38am On Feb 04, 2020
Go and appease the spirit of your leader alaafin awole placed curse on the yoruba nation that they'll always and forever be slaves.

“My curse be on ye for your disloyalty and disobedience, so let your children disobey you. If you send them on errand, let them never return to bring you word again

“To all the points I shot my arrows will ye be carried as slaves. My curse will carry you to the sea and beyond the sea, slaves will rule over you and you their master will become slaves”

4 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 3:09am On Feb 04, 2020
MrColdsweat:

There is no place in the publication that claims that igalas colonized igbos. Even the publisher claimed that the history of the Igbos is still in contention.

You are just pained and frustrated. Go and commit suicide. Afterall, suicide is your culture.

Posting your tissue paper

Let me know when you learn how to read

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Eternitymedia88: 6:25am On Feb 04, 2020
All I see in Nairaland these days are bunch of e-rats putting up twarted historical fallacies from barely baked researchers to to disrupt the attention of serious people.

I see mischievous halfwits who hide behind their keyboards to type nonsense just to get their miserly pay from their wicked paymasters.
They struggle to put up ridiculously callow tales just to look good to enough to get paid.
What's the essence of all these tales? To build and educate or to scatter and mislead?

They can not even write and pronounce "Igbo" right.
This OP has irredeemably gone beyond the threshold of shame.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by coolitempa(f): 6:48am On Feb 04, 2020
Eternitymedia88:
All I see in Nairaland these days are bunch of e-rats putting up twarted historical fallacies from barely baked researchers to to disrupt the attention of serious people.

I see mischievous halfwits who hide behind their keyboards to type nonsense just to get their miserly pay from their wicked paymasters.
They struggle to put up ridiculously callow tales just to look good to enough to get paid.
What's the essence of all these tales? To build and educate or to scatter and mislead?

They can not even write and pronounce "Igbo" right.
This OP has irredeemably gone beyond the threshold of shame.

Truth is bitter .....ibos were slaves.

5 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by IDENNAA(m): 6:50am On Feb 04, 2020
coolitempa:

Thank you, now you can go sleep. The whole world just learned Igbo were slaves...lol
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Eternitymedia88: 8:40am On Feb 04, 2020
cool
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Eternitymedia88: 8:42am On Feb 04, 2020
coolitempa:

Thank your creator for the bolded...."were"

The Yoruba meaning best describes you

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 12:15pm On Feb 04, 2020
Eternitymedia88:

Thank your creator for the bolded...."were"

The Yoruba meaning best describes you

It's still the status quo grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by wwwihy: 12:18pm On Feb 04, 2020
Following ... interesting
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 12:44pm On Feb 04, 2020
MrColdsweat:
You must be sick in the head to equate the northern Igbos in upper anambra and nsukka to the whole igbos in over 8 states in Nigeria.

Continue sticking your head in the gutter.

The Northern Igbos (Igalas, Yorubas and Edo royalty) are superior to the lower caste Igbos like Abia, Ebonyi. Imo is rescued by the Yoruba population that migrated there ages ago or else it would have been in Abia and Ebonyi status. grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Yujin(m): 3:58pm On Feb 04, 2020
This Kayfra of a person is so zealous to paint Igbos in bad light. He is a real example of what majority of his people desire for Igbos. Day after day, all that occupies his mind is Igbo. Lol. We have seen your type here on Nairaland many years ago. They've all run away after reality hit them hard. Even you will soon run away. You will still beg us for your survival some day. I'll respond to the post properly in my next post.

5 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 5:01pm On Feb 04, 2020
Yujin:
This Kayfra of a person is so zealous to paint Igbos in bad light. He is a real example of what majority of his people desire for Igbos. Day after day, all that occupies his mind is Igbo. Lol. We have seen your type here on Nairaland many years ago. They've all run away after reality hit them hard. Even you will soon run away. You will still beg us for your survival some day. I'll respond to the post properly in my next post.

Why would you say I am painting Igbos in a bad light?

Should we deny history?

Should be pretend that Igbos only existed from 1921?

Should we not promote the truth?

Why are you so insecure about your documented history?
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Banmeallday: 5:05pm On Feb 04, 2020
So basically Igala and Igbo are all Biafran people that dont tie bedsheets on their head
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Yujin(m): 5:48am On Feb 05, 2020
kayfra:

Why would you say I am painting Igbos in a bad light?

Should we deny history?

Should be pretend that Igbos only existed from 1921?

Should we not promote the truth?

Why are you so insecure about your documented history?
Lol. You are the fearful person who goes around looking up for anything to use against the great Igbos. You're pathetic.
Now to the topic. The sojourn of Igalas into Northen fringes of Anambra and Enugu states are well documented. It actually started as invasions but gradually faded into interactions. The only areas they political had strong footing was in the Nsukka area. The book you quoted was clear enough to tell you that it had limited knowledge in telling the full story of the interaction. Among all the areas in those areas I mentioned, only Nsukka had institutions with Igala origin signifying the strength of the Igala gains there. Nsukka people bear Igala names and use similar articles as them. This is clear to anyone that visits Nsukka. Nsukka today happens to a small area of Enugu state. Compare the size of Igala to the size of Nsukka then you see that the Igalas underperformed. The other areas the Igalas encroached into in the Anambra area have a story to mark the defeat of the Igalas. They lost steam and gradually had to settle down around those areas and acculturate. It was these groups that influenced the Igalas so much that the popular Igbo four market days was adopted by them. No group from Anambra have 'Atama' or the Igala institution but they welcomed Igalas and they all settled down well. Igbos also settled down around Igala areas and names of Igbo areas can still be found today in Igala areas. The Obi of Aboh traded with the Attah of Igala as far as Idah. Such was our interaction. The only thing I'll say is that various Igbo groups had individual relationship with the Igala which shouldn't have been so but our republicanism caused it. The powerful Obi Ossai didn't know that the Nsukka were struggling at the time under Igala power. Today, it wouldn't be so. This is the Igbo/Igala story. I wonder where you got that Ikenga the powerful Igbo cult of Nri origin came from Igala. Is Ikenga an Igala word or does it even sound so? Your hatred wouldn't let you be objective.
Like I've said before, Igboland was and is still a land of free people. Everyone is welcomed as long as you will add to make it great. We are the great Igbo whose presence send fear into the hearts of the wicked. Choke on your hate!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 10:18am On Feb 05, 2020
Yujin:

Lol. You are the fearful person who goes around looking up for anything to use against the great Igbos. You're pathetic.
Now to the topic. The sojourn of Igalas into Northen fringes of Anambra and Enugu states are well documented. It actually started as invasions but gradually faded into interactions. The only areas they political had strong footing was in the Nsukka area. The book you quoted was clear enough to tell you that it had limited knowledge in telling the full story of the interaction. Among all the areas in those areas I mentioned, only Nsukka had institutions with Igala origin signifying the strength of the Igala gains there. Nsukka people bear Igala names and use similar articles as them. This is clear to anyone that visits Nsukka. Nsukka today happens to a small area of Enugu state. Compare the size of Igala to the size of Nsukka then you see that the Igalas underperformed. The other areas the Igalas encroached into in the Anambra area have a story to mark the defeat of the Igalas. They lost steam and gradually had to settle down around those areas and acculturate. It was these groups that influenced the Igalas so much that the popular Igbo four market days was adopted by them. No group from Anambra have 'Atama' or the Igala institution but they welcomed Igalas and they all settled down well. Igbos also settled down around Igala areas and names of Igbo areas can still be found today in Igala areas. The Obi of Aboh traded with the Attah of Igala as far as Idah. Such was our interaction. The only thing I'll say is that various Igbo groups had individual relationship with the Igala which shouldn't have been so but our republicanism caused it. The powerful Obi Ossai didn't know that the Nsukka were struggling at the time under Igala power. Today, it wouldn't be so. This is the Igbo/Igala story. I wonder where you got that Ikenga the powerful Igbo cult of Nri origin came from Igala. Is Ikenga an Igala word or does it even sound so? Your hatred wouldn't let you be objective.
Like I've said before, Igboland was and is still a land of free people. Everyone is welcomed as long as you will add to make it great. We are the great Igbo whose presence send fear into the hearts of the wicked. Choke on your hate!

Cool story Bro. It's nothing but a cool story without citing any references. I cited a detailed research study that cited the likes of Chinua Achebe (I am sure you've heard of that guy right? grin) the likes of N.W. Thomas an Academic authority in Antropology that was responsible for creating the Igbo to English dictionary as evidenced in the books below and J.S. Boston a renowned academic that edited the works of people like Francis Arinze etc.

If you read the original post you'll find detailed information about areas Igala administered and the titles Ezes they controlled. It is all carefully documented.
"On the religious level, the Igala installed their own priests- the Attama- as the custodian of the dangerous ‘alusi’ shrine, took control as mediators between the spirit and the Igbo communities, presided over divinations and fashioned ‘Ikenga’, ‘Okwute’ (ritual staffs) that combined both Igala and Igbo religious elements."

While you rely on a feel good cool stories. I rely on cold hard facts with proof to back up everything I post.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Yujin(m): 11:09am On Feb 05, 2020
kayfra:

Cool story Bro. It's nothing but a cool story without citing any references. I cited a detailed research study that cited the likes of Chinua Achebe (I am sure you've heard of that guy right? grin) the likes of N.W. Thomas an Academic authority in Antropology that was responsible for creating the Igbo to English dictionary as evidenced in the books below and J.S. Boston a renowned academic that edited the works of people like Francis Arinze etc.

If you read the original post you'll find detailed information about areas Igala administered and the titles Ezes they controlled. It is all carefully documented.
"On the religious level, the Igala installed their own priests- the Attama- as the custodian of the dangerous ‘alusi’ shrine, took control as mediators between the spirit and the Igbo communities, presided over divinations and fashioned ‘Ikenga’, ‘Okwute’ (ritual staffs) that combined both Igala and Igbo religious elements."

While you rely on a feel good cool stories. I rely on cold hard facts with proof to back up everything I post.
Do you lack comprehension skill? That the Igalas installed the attamas as custodian of things already established by Igbos in Nsukka doesn't mean that they're the ones that formed them. Do Igalas have 'alusi'? Do they have Ikenga? You can only give what you have! They succeeded to dominate the Nsukka area and installed the Attamas which are still there till date but having been Igbonized. Where else do we have Attamas in the northern fringes of Igboland? There are no Attamas in Anambra or Enuani areas because Igalas didn't succeed there. Slow down and read carefully to understand better. No one can dispute the intrusion of Igalas into those areas but it wasn't a conquest as you wish it was. ONLY in Nsukka was there any domination of Igbo groups and it was resisted too.
All around the banks of River Niger the Igalas traded with Igbos and Ijaws who managed to come up stream. Igbos waged no war on anyone. It was business and harmonious living. Do you know that there were Igalas in Onitsha yet Obi of Onitsha was there? In Obi Aroli's time, Igalas were trading there. Fewer of them went deeper into the Anambra area and they settled and are today Igbos. If you want to learn about Igbo history ask properly and you will be taught.
The Igalas normally present a Benin mask as an evidence that they defeated them in a battle. How true is that story? Only solid evidences can prove it. The same here.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 11:21am On Feb 05, 2020
Yujin:

Do you lack comprehension skill? That the Igalas installed the attamas as custodian of things already established by Igbos in Nsukka doesn't mean that they're the ones that formed them. Do Igalas have 'alusi'? Do they have Ikenga? You can only give what you have! They succeeded to dominate the Nsukka area and installed the Attamas which are still there till date but having been Igbonized. Where else do we have Attamas in the northern fringes of Igboland? There are no Attamas in Anambra or Enuani areas because Igalas didn't succeed there. Slow down and read carefully to understand better. No one can dispute the intrusion of Igalas into those areas but it wasn't a conquest as you wish it was. ONLY in Nsukka was there any domination of Igbo groups and it was resisted too.
All around the banks of River Niger the Igalas traded with Igbos and Ijaws who managed to come up stream. Igbos waged no war on anyone. It was business and harmonious living. Do you know that there were Igalas in Onitsha yet Obi of Onitsha was there? In Obi Aroli's time, Igalas were trading there. Fewer of them went deeper into the Anambra area and they settled and are today Igbos. If you want to learn about Igbo history ask properly and you will be taught.
The Igalas normally present a Benin mask as an evidence that they defeated them in a battle. How true is that story? Only solid evidences can prove it. The same here.
Do you lack a brain or a credible source for your rants?

I know you are having a hard time accepting your history but you are gradually coming around to it. Take more time to read the extent they dominated northern Igbo land even with archeological proof.

"By the late 17th century, the Igalas conquered and held socio-economic, political and religious control of the indigenous northern Igbo mini-states. From Opi, Nsukka, Nsugbe, several Igbo communities on the Anambra river, the lower Niger, through Okpanam to Asaba the Igala held sway. Trading out post with Onitsha and the Ijo middlemen were fully established. The mythical Omeppa, Inenyi Ogugu set up garrison at Opi and several Igala warlords played their part in the build up of the Igala colonial take over of these northern Igbo states. But no other individual played a greater role in shaping Igala-Igbo colonisation during the 18th century than Onoja Oboni, the legendary Igala warrior and slave trader. Onoja Oboni’s personality and heritage has been shrouded in mythical imagery over time. Ranging from being the Son of Eri, the grandson of Aganapoje to being a descendant of one of the Idah royal families; the priestly sub-clan of Obajeadaka in Okete-ochai-attah. The key areas of consensus are; he was a master strategist, slave raider and trader, conqueror, coloniser and imperialist. Added to these were his diplomacy, expansionist traits and the acculturation of conquered territories. He built himself a walled city in Ogurugu and recent archaeological findings of the remnant of the ruins of his fort on the grounds of the University of Nsukka confirm this. The Igala soldiers built forts and fortifications that stretched from Ete down to Opi and then to Anambra. Oboni’s rise to power affected the history of the North-western Nsukka and the Igbo communities on the Anambra River and the Lower Niger during the Igala commercial and socio-cultural ascendancy and domination."

Yet you belch out emotional rants with zero academic backing as expected. No sources cited but your "feelings". Stereotypical of you to act that way grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by maestroferdi: 11:41am On Feb 05, 2020
coolitempa:
The Ibos should be very grateful for the British intervention because had they not come in,....it is possible that most of them would have by now been speaking Yoruba and Igalla. I mean the IMO are from Yoruba, northern ibos were slaves of Igallas and southern ibos were sold by the Ijaws...also onisha and agbor were under the Benin kingdom. No group of people can be more thankful to Nigeria coming together than the ibos.
You are nothing but a miserable deplorable.

Go and read up the Long Juju of Arochuchukwu...Arochukwu is an Igbo sub-clan who were among the last people to be conquered/colonised by the British.

It is still a matter of fact and history that the Igbo nation was never conquered by any autochtonous African people. A raid by Akasa vandals and other criminal elements near the banks of the Oil Rivers do not constitute a conquest.

The Igala nonsense is nothing but a joke. It is actually the other way round. Even some Igala traditional authorities accept that they must have migrated from Igboland sometime in their history...

You dont piece together a jumble and call it history.

We have better things to do...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Transferred To A Medical Facility Due To Unconsciousness / Why Petrol Smuggling Continues - Mele Kyari / Boko Haram Surrender II, Shekau Whereabouts Unknown - Satellite Pictures!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.