Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:38 AM

Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). (7639 Views)

How Igala Conquered And Colonized Igbos (1450–18th Century) * / Uche Okwukwu: APC To Win More Igbo States Before 2023– Ohanaeze SecretaryGeneral / Northern Muslims Still Under Colonisation – Emir Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Dedetwo(m): 1:23am On Feb 06, 2020
coolitempa:

Chest beating....where is the treaty they signed with ibos They was no evidence of anything in that part of the world so no reason to conquer emptiness.... ; wink

When your forbearers were shaking like dried leaves on a tree at the sight of British man, Ndigbo stood up toe-to-toe with British which resulted in the recruitment of Ndigbo to serve as colonial village heads and foremen in Cameroon.

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by coolitempa(f): 1:33am On Feb 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

When your forbearers were shaking like dried leaves on a tree at the sight of British man, Ndigbo stood up toe-to-toe with British which resulted in the recruitment of Ndigbo to serve as colonial village heads and foremen in Cameroon.

Always empty cheating beating with no substance. Show us the proof of the treaty the british signed with ibos? Anuofia.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Dedetwo(m): 1:59am On Feb 06, 2020
coolitempa:

Always empty cheating beating with no substance. Show us the proof of the treaty the british signed with ibos? Anuofia.

I guess it takes one malnourished Anuofia to recognize another. Please request the treaties from Britain.

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 2:10am On Feb 06, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:

grin grin grin
Yeye boy I knew you will definitely shoot yourself in the leg at some point. You admitted that only Arochukwu's resisted the British,and conveniently forgot the well researched Ekumeku movement from Western Igbo area which Asaba represents.

In your infantile unbalanced logic, Arochukwu and Ekumeku 15 years war with Britain can not be described as Igbo war ,but the Igala skirmishes with few northern Igbo clans can rightly be termed the conquest and enslavement of entire Igbo land by the Igalas.

Even the Igalas in this forum watching your show of shame will be wondering the source of your own "sniff", b'cos the thing is really strong.

Yeah and the Ajamajas too grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 2:13am On Feb 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

Have you heard about Ekumeku? The bolded is the ill of the so-called free education. grin grin Free things are not always valuable.

Yeah. I forgot about those ones. But they are western Igbos with Benin influence grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 2:16am On Feb 06, 2020
GreyLaw:
What was "Northern Igbo states" in 1450? I know Nairaland makes people irrational, but what in the name of whatever you worship was "Northern Igbo states" during the timeline stated in this piece?

When did we even have the concept of states in Nigeria? If at all what was written in the research happened (Africans cannot even tell their fathers 4 generations ago let alone over 600 years ago), Igbos, or Eboes, or Ibos were residing in groups or hamlets and such groups could be attacked by anybody. Now those groups could have been in Nsukka or wherever.

Op, if the essence of this post was to gather likes and to help you fight the Igbos online, then I understand. No problem with that. However, if you want a healthy discussion, then you should know that this whole thing written up there, if ever correct, refers to wars and skirmishes between hamlets and small village fights where maybe the Igala won. Just like there were no United Yoruba in those years, there were no United Igbos also. People existed in family groups and hamlets.

Before you conquer a people in those days you needed severe numerical advantage. Pray tell, how many are the Igalas today? They don't even have a state to themselves.

This one is a d00fus grin

Doesn't even understand the concept of pre-colonial states grin grin grin

Igalas were organized and structured. The Igbo states were very decentralized making them easy to conquer. It also helps that Eri is from Igala, so they used religion as a tool to rule over Northern Igbos

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by eagleu: 2:41am On Feb 06, 2020
davidodiba:
E dey our blood...As an IGALA, i am un-conquerable

Say what?
Don't let the Fulani hear it.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Omoodua007: 2:48am On Feb 06, 2020
coolitempa:

Looooool
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by djon78(m): 3:27am On Feb 06, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:

The Brits unfortunately did not meet emptiness. They had to conquer Igboland village by village, town to town, hamlet by hamlet, from Aro to the hinterlands. The resistance was so stiff. There is a town in Anambra state called Uga. Every 26th December they celebrate Obuofo day. Obuofo means "he who carries ancestral authority". Their clan just like every Igbo society is ruled by an elders council who are legitimate heads of every large family.

So when the brits moved down to their community, they said hell no. For years they fought off colonial rule. The brits died in their numbers. Then one day the cunny brits asked for a peace meeting. The elders went,their guards were down because it was a taboo in Igbo culture to kill a peace messenger. The Brits unfortunately don't have such culture. So they gathered them all and killed. That was the beginning of end to Uga resistance to British rule.

So till this day on every 26th December they celebrate these men who went but did not come back.

Now in your mind how can Igala colonise such a people grin
Even the great Bini empire kept a respectable distance.

This was exactly the same thing the Brit's did to king jaja of opobo. The man was too powerful for the Brit's, he was controlling Trade coming to the Atlantic Ocean part of Rivers (note that the Niger deltans were first to relate with the Europeans as far back as 1500 within entire Nigerian. And the Europeans then we're the Portuguese not even the Brit's, and they were strictly coming for business) even in my igbo language what we call a fair person is onyeocha potoki, meaning white Portuguese.

But the Brit's came differently with evil and greed, this was during the reign of Queen Victoria. King jaja was controlling every Trade coming from the Atlantic part of Rivers. He was too much for the Brit's. They cunningly invited into a ship on the ocean for deal, and arrested him on the boat in the name of Her Majesty Queen Victoria and from there shipped him to West Indies were the poor man later died and was buried.

So the Brit's were very cunning, and our igbo people then knew there ways and seriously gave them serious trouble.
They couldn't deal with the strong head of igbo man. The north was already under direct rule under the sokoto caliphate including the igalas this guy claims conquered igbos. But in southern Nigeria, the igbo man gave the British serious problem.That's why they so much stood against them even during the civil war. We were really a big problem to them.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by coolitempa(f): 10:36am On Feb 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

I guess it takes one malnourished Anuofia to recognize another. Please request the treaties from Britain.

Just as suspected....no substance but more empty bravado.... grin grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by gwafaeziokwu: 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2020
kayfra:

cool

Everyone serious minded person here knew you were just trolling. We just decided to humour you with silence. Yet you lost a one sided argument with yourself. What will now happen if the arsenals starts flying around.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 3:03pm On Feb 06, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:

cool

Everyone serious minded person here knew you were just trolling. We just decided to humour you with silence. Yet you lost a one sided argument with yourself. What will now happen if the arsenals starts flying around.

Only you can lose a battle all fought in your mind grin

I just quoted the academia with zero spin grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Yujin(m): 10:31pm On Feb 07, 2020
kayfra:

We know that history. Abeokuta defeated King Gezo and his sons all the time they attempted Abeokuta. But my Yoruba brothers in Ketu had it bad in the hands of Gezo and his Amazon warriors. We know and acknowledge our history. Aren't ashamed of it either. Oyo overplayed their hands with Dahomey after enslaving them for centuries but they eventually fought back.

Even Dahomey was formed by Migrant Yorubas and another tribe in present day Ghana to create Fon. So those are Amazon warriors are half Yorubas.
Lol @ half Yorubas. Oyos defeat of dahomey was a period consisting few decades. The infamous Ouidah port (the port through which majority of Yoruba slaves were sold off) was founded and controlled by the Fon throughout two centuries. The Fon rather dealt with the Yorubas so much.
The Fons have no any roots with the Yorubas. The closest association you have with them is that you guys use the syllable 'gbe' often in your speeches and together you're called the 'the speakers'.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Yujin(m): 11:16pm On Feb 07, 2020
GreyLaw:
What was "Northern Igbo states" in 1450? I know Nairaland makes people irrational, but what in the name of whatever you worship was "Northern Igbo states" during the timeline stated in this piece?

When did we even have the concept of states in Nigeria? If at all what was written in the research happened (Africans cannot even tell their fathers 4 generations ago let alone over 600 years ago), Igbos, or Eboes, or Ibos were residing in groups or hamlets and such groups could be attacked by anybody. Now those groups could have been in Nsukka or wherever.

Op, if the essence of this post was to gather likes and to help you fight the Igbos online, then I understand. No problem with that. However, if you want a healthy discussion, then you should know that this whole thing written up there, if ever correct, refers to wars and skirmishes between hamlets and small village fights where maybe the Igala won. Just like there were no United Yoruba in those years, there were no United Igbos also. People existed in family groups and hamlets.

Before you conquer a people in those days you needed severe numerical advantage. Pray tell, how many are the Igalas today? They don't even have a state to themselves.
Don't mind the crazy OP. He's mischievous and his reference is totally. I took my time to investigate all he posted here and I confirmed his mischief.
The piece he posted was written by an Igala man named Michael Achille Umameh and the guy clear wrote that the work is still in progress and anyone can comment or bring suggestions to enhance his work. His references never had the popular Chinua Achebe like the criminal will want us to believe. It was another Achebe that was referenced. The only credible reference he submitted which actually commented on the Igbo/Igala relationship emphasized that it was an equal relationship. That was the one by J.S Boston. The book of N.W Thomas whose pix he was posting all around never discussed anything of such. The man's work was as early as 1913 which was very detailed and it dwelt in the northern fringes of Anambra. He never stated any Igala domination there. Rather, he stated that Awka blacksmiths and Nri priests go as far as Idah to conduct what concerns them on their own free will.
The OP is a scam and should be disregarded.
In the course of my studies, I stumbled on the work of another European explorer named Joseph Hawkins who visited Igboland in the year 1796. He mentioned a war between the Ebo and Galla in which the Galla were defeated. He wrote a lot of good things about the Igbos. Even others who reviewed his work had eulogies for Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Probz(m): 9:59am On Apr 17, 2020
coolitempa:
The Ibos should be very grateful for the British intervention because had they not come in,....it is possible that most of them would have by now been speaking Yoruba and Igalla. I mean the IMO are from Yoruba, northern ibos were slaves of Igallas and southern ibos were sold by the Ijaws...also onisha and agbor were under the Benin kingdom. No group of people can be more thankful to Nigeria coming together than the ibos.

What?

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Probz(m): 4:48am On Apr 19, 2020
kayfra:

The Northern Igbos (Igalas, Yorubas and Edo royalty) are superior to the lower caste Igbos like Abia, Ebonyi. Imo is rescued by the Yoruba population that migrated there ages ago or else it would have been in Abia and Ebonyi status. grin

And what Yoruba population are you talking about they migrated to Imo?

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Kinematics: 6:52am On Apr 19, 2020
technicallyrich:

i have read all you wrote and i have said they are trash.
We have igallas in east,just like we ijaws are in the west.
We ijaws can even defeat and conquer the yaribanza as they are streghntless and weak.
But you dont see us make noise about it.
Hope you know igallas are also in bayelsa.so we you say they conquered ijaws.which is not even possible as ijaws are the strongest,bravest,richest and most blessed black people on earth.
Igallas are our minority brothers,a small biafran tribe mostly found in ss,se and some middle belt part of biafra.
You can never cause problem for us.

Igallas in Bayelsa as natives or as what?
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 11:41am On May 20, 2020
grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by 0jgti7gko08yhfe: 7:20am On May 02, 2021
grin
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by ThickSharon123(f): 3:34am On Oct 18, 2021
kayfra:

It matters especially when 99% of you folks don't know your history and it also matters since it's the Igalas of Anambra and Enugu still dominating Igbos even though they've embraced the same identity

Can you stop dreaming. This fanaticism to get Igbos on you people's side is already getting scary.
Who are you to rewrite history by checking outdated or revised history books for the Igbos. Igbos were never from Igalas, there's been acculturation yes, but the real lineage are from the Jews.

Which one be Igala biko nu? grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by ThickSharon123(f): 3:39am On Oct 18, 2021
celeiyke:
If Igala colonized the Igbo, we would have had the Ilorin situation in Igboland.

My dear, very true.

And if they colonized as they claim, then we wouldn't have been having a language called Igbo, we would have been a scattered nation, there wouldn't even be Igbo as they claim.

History isn't fully written there's a reason the great Benin Empire avoided the full south east as they claim, or the Igala empire avoided to conquer the full south east. My conclusion is the south east was and still is powerful in that period, so they couldn't touch the region that's why they avoided it and sought for other places like Yoruba states and the likes.

In South east there's been no recorded wars with the Bini or Igala, but they won't comprehend.

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by OnyeOlokoro(m): 10:18am On Oct 18, 2021
Every idiot wants to gain relevance n na Igbo topic dey give relevance wella

Well sha u av been noticed. Now next!!
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Almaigaa: 11:09am On Oct 18, 2021
OnyeOlokoro:
Every idiot wants to gain relevance n na Igbo topic dey give relevance wella

Well sha u av been noticed. Now next!!

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Iykoto86(m): 12:51pm On Oct 18, 2021
kayfra:

It matters especially when 99% of you folks don't know your history and it also matters since it's the Igalas of Anambra and Enugu still dominating Igbos even though they've embraced the same identity
No wahala,everybody hates the igbo man ,yet you wish that igbos should be shared to other tribes in nigeria,(including the ones inferior to the igbo man). You wey dey claim nonsense,just know that the average igala man is not very successful man compared to the igbos .one person in anambra or enugu can feed entire igala village for one year.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Iykoto86(m): 12:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
ThickSharon123:

My dear, very true.

And if they colonized as they claim, then we wouldn't have been having a language called Igbo, we would have been a scattered nation, there wouldn't even be Igbo as they claim.

History isn't fully written there's a reason the great Benin Empire avoided the full south east as they claim, or the Igala empire avoided to conquer the full south east. My conclusion is the south east was and still is powerful in that period, so they couldn't touch the region that's why they avoided it and sought for other places like Yoruba states and the likes.

In South east there's been no recorded wars with the Bini or Igala, but they won't comprehend.
I have been to ejule in kogi state after obolo afor. these guys have nothing in common with us,though we are living close to them,they are very unsuccessful as a people. The igala man is too poor and small to mention igbo man when suffering from his inferiority complex.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by Iykoto86(m): 1:01pm On Oct 18, 2021
kayfra:

The guy is too annoying.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by oyatz(m): 1:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
revolt:
this as you may not know is the reason igbos are very diverse. Igbos are the first and only ethnici4y that's made up of people that migrated and chose to become igbo in the past..from ijaw to hausa, to yoruba, to benin, Sean, tiv, bibi etc. That's why its more of a nation than an ethnicity. My great grandfather may not even be igbo. As we simply cannot trace where he originally came from, but we do know our grand dad assimilated and chose to be a NWAFOR. This is the same with other s too.

And most likely this is the root of the Republican nature in Igboland and there is no strong central authority that everybody or more correctly, most people subject to.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by fideliaudemmadu: 3:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
Should be pretend that Igbos only existed from 1921?
Sense is actually not common
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 4:04pm On Oct 19, 2021
Linagold:
You can only discuss what is important, the Igbos are so important that they are being discussed in almost every post on Nairaland. Which other tribe is being made reference to as Igbos. Almost all post here will be linked to the Igbos whether good or bad. They're simply too much, their great potentials is one of the reasons why you people decided not to allow them move on their own pace. If not, the Igboland would have been just like Japan today. Envy, hatred and Jelosy for the Igbos are so glaring.

Slave grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by BSsniffer: 5:06pm On Oct 19, 2021
Seems the igbos where slaves to everyone.
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by KosiGee(m): 5:27pm On Oct 19, 2021
kayfra:

So almighty Igalas abandoned their powerful empire then got assimilated into the once subjugated Igbos?

Talk about the kings and princes rejecting and abandoning their royalty and kingdoms to become slaves.
They traded their superior culture and technologies to become Igbos?

Does that make sense to you?
Re: Igala Colonisation Of Northern Igbo States* (1450–18th Century). by kayfra: 9:17am On Oct 20, 2021
KosiGee:

So almighty Igalas abandoned their powerful empire then got assimilated into the once subjugated Igbos?

Talk about the kings and princes rejecting and abandoning their royalty and kingdoms to become slaves.
They traded their superior culture and technologies to become Igbos?

Does that make sense to you?

You can argue with history and the academics that documented the historical accounts.

Facts don't care about your feelings

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of Appointees Under President Goodluck Jonathan / 2023: Yahaya Bello's Supporters Releases Video To Support Preeidency Bid / Lekki Deep Seaport To Inject $360 Billion To Nigerian Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.