Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,260 members, 7,818,886 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest (28880 Views)

Amaechi On Loan: China Can Seize Assets If Nigeria Defaults / FG Begins N20,000 Cash Transfer In Lagos - Sanwo-Olu / Lagos Ibadan Railway. Amaechi On A Train Ride To Abeokuta On New Coaches. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by wilemer: 9:25am On Feb 04, 2020
thanks
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Sweetcollins: 9:25am On Feb 04, 2020
Hmm
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by norriswood(m): 9:25am On Feb 04, 2020
Nah u go increase the crime?... some of the keke nd okada riders are nuisance even so called orider, gokada.....okada people are foreigners according to u people so why the noise allow the foreigners to relocate back to their country and to make noise here. ..no okada in abuja, jos,ph,kano,etc
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by BlackfireX: 9:26am On Feb 04, 2020
Those okada and keke should be back to there village, sanwo olu don't have any explanation to do to riff raffs

Mr Amaechi face your igboland
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 04, 2020
even his state has banned bikes and I think even keke, he should invite them to rivers state, so simple.
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by hisexcellency34: 9:31am On Feb 04, 2020
The minister shouldn't justify crime but I believe Sanwo-Olu should provide alternatives

norriswood:
Nah u go increase the crime?... some of the keke nd okada riders are nuisance even so called orider, gokada.....okada people are foreigners according to u people so why the noise allow the foreigners to relocate back to their country and to make noise here. ..no okada in abuja, jos,ph,kano,etc
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by DropsMic(m): 9:31am On Feb 04, 2020
Word....
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by lexy2014: 9:31am On Feb 04, 2020
GeneralShepherd:
No pain no gain . It does hurt to see these people loose their means of livelihood, however the transport sector can only improve if Okada and Keke go extinct.

Think about this if you are an investor, will invest millions of naira and pay taxes to compete with independent operators that run tax free

Pls how will d ban in d use of okada and keke lead to improvement in d transportation sector? How does throwing several thousands of people into unemployment at d same time improve society?

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Gwagone: 9:32am On Feb 04, 2020
Make Lagos help my life ooo
A dude Jos bought a bike for delivery biz

THUMBS UP MINISTER
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by adecz: 9:32am On Feb 04, 2020
APC & causing unemployment & hunger
na like Ewedu & Amala..
Whether at federal or State level..

Just like their leader, no human
compassion or empathy..
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Perfecttouchade: 9:33am On Feb 04, 2020
Abeg make una go sit down, abi he is acting in the interest of himself..a way to make more money through his transport idea system
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Gwagone: 9:33am On Feb 04, 2020
norriswood:
Can someone interpret what dis one is saying?
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Offpoint: 9:34am On Feb 04, 2020
Iyajelili:
The action by Sanwolu is good but he should have provided alternatives to ease the stress of it's citizens and yes, crime rate will definitely increase

A serious and sensible government should have had alternative down before implementing the ban.

I wonder why Nigerian government always act before thinking.
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by constancefriday(m): 9:35am On Feb 04, 2020
Minister Amechi is well known for making correct predictions, it coincides with what i stated in my open letter to Gov. Sanwo Olu, the decision is harsh and hard and to some extent questionable because someone from the private sector invested over 5 Billion Ngn into Okada business within the state. We're watching to see where this leads to.
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by lexy2014: 9:35am On Feb 04, 2020
norriswood:

Will d ban on okada forces "foreigners" tp relocate to their countries? If u say there are undocumented foreigners riding okada in Nigeria, y has d NIS not identified them& repatriated them of do u think its only issuance of passport that is d job of d NIS? How are okada& keke a nuisance?
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by oluwaahmed: 9:35am On Feb 04, 2020
Except you don't own a vehicle, if not you would have seen this ban coming. Do u know that there was a study carried out that said 600 okada accidents happened in a month in Lagos. I have lived in Lagos all my life & I have Neva seen an influx of aboki bike men the way they did after 2019 elections. I believe this is the coded reason why Amotekun was formed. Sanwo couldn't just ban aboki bike men and leave them gokada so it won't look like persecution. I believe he will bring back gokada and co. But he should have left keke.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Gwagone: 9:36am On Feb 04, 2020
lexy2014:

Pls how will d ban in d use of okada and keke lead to improvement in d transportation sector? How does throwing several thousands of people into unemployment at d same time improve society?
I Jos tire oo
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Correcto: 9:38am On Feb 04, 2020
You have some change in your account does mean you can't see real poverty. How can you take away jobs from a huge population without providing alternatives and think crime won't increase? Be realistic man!!
mimilogs:
If a former Okada rider or Keke rider decides that the best option for him to survive is to start robbing innocent Lagosians off their hard earned money or properties just because of a policy made by the ruling class, then it is left for the Nigerian Police in Lagos to decide if that is acceptable or not!

There is justification for crime! If Lagos state government have carried out their thorough investigations over the years and have decided that the best thing to do is to ban Okada and Keke from metropolitan areas of the Lagos state, then residents must abide by it and not resort to crime because if they do, they are breaking the law of the land and should be properly dealt with by the various security outfits in Lagos!

And please Nigerians stop encouraging these former Okada and Keke riders to go into crime with your words of encouragement like "banning okada will increase armed robbery", what nonsense justification is that angry angry
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by micflo28(m): 9:38am On Feb 04, 2020
Samwo olu was wrong banning Go kada too. They should allow them since they are registered and can't be used for crime. Others will copy and register too to become more responsible for any crime they commit
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by oyindelacreme(f): 9:39am On Feb 04, 2020
He should have slowly changed the policy instead of actively banning keke.

http://whistlingbeautiful.com/index.php/2019/12/17/cyn-series-1/
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by sulaak(m): 9:42am On Feb 04, 2020
frankmoney:
Okada was also banned in ph during amaechi tenure but he restricted them to some LGA , and also Keke is allowed to operate on Street and smaller roads not express . I think Lagos should consider allowing them operate in smaller roads . Although Keke is better than okada

They were only banned in 6 LGA in Lagos.

If the alternative to riding Okada is crime then Nigeria has a problem. Lagos cannot be responsible for all Nigerian poor people.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by PureMind2: 9:43am On Feb 04, 2020
So many people want Keke to work forgetting that most okada will now consider using Keke to work which will give birth to lawlessness from them it will be worst than ever is better we adapt with it best now and enjoy later
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by sulaak(m): 9:46am On Feb 04, 2020
oluwaahmed:
Except you don't own a vehicle, if not you would have seen this ban coming. Do u know that there was a study carried out that said 600 okada accidents happened in a month in Lagos. I have lived in Lagos all my life & I have Neva seen an influx of aboki bike men the way they did after 2019 elections. I believe this is the coded reason why Amotekun was formed. Sanwo couldn't just ban aboki bike men and leave them gokada so it won't look like persecution. I believe he will bring back gokada and co. But he should have left keke.

The real reason was the sudden influx of Aboki bike men and the upsurge in insurgency across the country.
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by mu2sa2: 9:47am On Feb 04, 2020
revenge001:
first time, this big tommy evil minister will say something nice

useless country
You are part of the country you call useless - this means you're also useless.
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Reference(m): 9:49am On Feb 04, 2020
Indices of society are constantly under review by the wary. Tough situations are handled by the intellectually competent. Rigorous studies are conducted to find solutions to those challenges and theoretical solutions are tested, assessed, adjusted and tested yet again before the perfect strategies are implemented.

Nigerians will continue to suffer as long as they place sentiment front an centre in their choice of those who should lead them. Cosmopolitan, dynamic city states like Lagos require a level of governance that is far higher than they presently operate due to the inherent complexities.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Onlyonebuhari: 9:49am On Feb 04, 2020
Without alternatives, the ban is inhuman
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:52am On Feb 04, 2020
But the likes of Gokada, Oride and MaxNg addresses all those concerns!
Security, Safety, Accountability and Tax generation!
Why can't the government embrace them and make it mandatory that any bike man must be under the bkie hailing companies.
That way the citizens don't suffer much, productivity is increased, tax is generated and there is sanity!

1 Like

Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by Israelpeters(m): 9:53am On Feb 04, 2020
Let them reverse it and plan proper implementation and alternative means of transportation������ quote author=hisexcellency34 post=86337115]We were not consulted before he did it[/quote]
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by hush15: 9:54am On Feb 04, 2020
nairavsdollars:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

https://www.independent.ng/okada-ban-sanwo-olu-took-decision-in-the-greater-public-interest-amaechi/

Crime won't increase anywhere. We should stop planting seed of crime in the mind of people. It is only those that use to rob before the advent of okada that might end up back to their misdemeanour and that will be properly tackled.

Those that were engaged in trade will go back to their initial trade. Maybe we don't know that many artisan gave up their trade to do okada business cos they are lazy physically and intellectually. I have a friend who is on crouches, he fix refrigerants and cooling systems and he is good. Cos he is on crouches, he need apprentice but cos nobody want to learn trade, he manages to do this job by himself. The one boy that decided to stay is misbehaving cos he knows his need him. This is not how things should be. I remember those days when you enter into an artisans workshop and you see so many young people trying to learn the trade but today, zero. Everybody wants quick money and the one that are fortunate to get it without people knowing how hard it was inspires others to get it, whether legitimate or not, so they are not left out. This is what leads to Yahoo yahoo and the likes.

It only shows how relax and lazy our society has become. It only reveals how low our value system is. Hard Work and Professionalism is thrown to the gutters or maybe lagosians don't know that even okada riding or tricycles require some level of decency and professionalism to enjoy the service but ask ourselves, who are those mostly running the trade and recklessly at that, it's the lower class who don't care about professionalism or decency. The dress haggardly, roughly and drive recklessly even to the extent that if a first class graduate who due to lack of job decides to go into the business too will throw years of education away and start behaving like a tout. That's what happen in the bus system too where only touts survive, no matter how highly trained. That is what our ways today and reactions show we are tolerating. In the UK, those red buse drivers are one of the highly paid jobs in the UK and before you can drive that bus, it's series upon series of training and tests. And those buses are the one running into every cranny of London and UK at large. After buses, na train. Make Ameachi quickly finish his train project. The only big project he has refused to finish. That will also help but to go back to Okada, God forbid. We didn't go back by many years, we went to the right spot where we should be to start looking for better solutions to our transport systems, not the okada way. My own take.

Nobody cares to know how, just get it and we think Nigeria will get better....

Joke of the millennial
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by frowland(m): 9:55am On Feb 04, 2020
revenge001:
first time, this big tommy evil minister will say something nice

useless country

Only in Nairaland and Facebook will you see comments like this.
It will be fair if we know your own achievements before criticizing the big tommy minister.
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by neeyor88: 9:57am On Feb 04, 2020
AIIahuAkbar:
Great, at least let's have one sane city in Nigeria

I agree with you on this!
Re: Amaechi On Okada Ban In Lagos: Sanwo-olu Acted Based On Public Interest by lekspot01(m): 10:00am On Feb 04, 2020
Most policies in Nigeria are reactionary- they are not usually well-thought out even if they have the noblest of intentions. That is the way I see the Okada and keke ban.

With the ban, the Okada economy- the value chain activities surrounding okada and keke- have all been legislated into nothingness. If we had available statistics, we would have realized that the Okada economy is what is sustaining possibly millions of families in Lagos and elsewhere.

So, what is the Okada economy? Someone buys a bike. A mechanic/technician must repair it or service it. There are Okada workshops on almost every street with technicians whose major expertise is repairs of okada and keke. They don't repair cars. An average workshop has about 3 people- the Oga and a minimum of two apprentices who are learning the trade. Right beside the workshop is a vulcanizer. If you ask most vulcanizers around, they will tell you they attend to more bikes than cars daily. Around the Okada mechanic workshop or Okada park is that Mama Put (usually a lady with food inside a wheelbarrow or a contraption because she can't afford a shop) who sells food to the Okada riders. They are her mainstay. Then you have those who sell lubricants and oil to them. There are people who sell the reflector jackets. Graphic designers who write on them. People who sell helmets. And also the person who could afford to buy an Okada or keke just to create an additional stream of income. He gets someone to ride and make daily returns. He has a honest and legitimate business. Most times, these people are the poorest of the poor- barely stringing out a source of livelihood for themselves.

This ban didn't consider the business man who borrowed money to import okada and keke into the country. He did that because there is a market for such. There are companies in Nigeria who import CKD (completely knocked down parts) and assemble them in Nigeria. I know at least 2 assembly plants of okada and keke in Nigeria- with both employing more than 50 employees each. You need to visit the assembly lines to consider the huge investments made and which will now be affected by the ban- because Lagos is the largest market. The employees may lose their jobs. The business man may default on his obligations because some of those Okada and keke were purchased using credit lines. And then there are distributors all over Nigeria. That cycle is affected now.

What about investments made by Gokada, Max and Opay? The millions of dollars? How do we encourage investments when your investment can be wiped away in one swoop by government legislation? How does this help the campaign for ease of doing business?

I agree there are security concerns but this ban may likely aggravate it. You can't legislate human behaviour especially when the source of livelihood is concerned and not get reactions- without you providing palliatives. For those who support the ban based on security concerns, shall we then ban the use of gatemen because some of them have killed their bosses? Shall we then ban drivers because some of them have been involved in cases of kidnap of their Ogas? A knee-jerk reaction is not what is needed. Apart from the great inconvenience to people who patronise them, how will families who depend on these value chain survive? I know someone who graduated from the University of Ibadan and rode okada just to get money to fund his education. It's not all Okada riders that are criminals or illegal aliens. We have just thrown away the baby with the dirty bathwater with this ban.

The government is even missing a major revenue plank. I think the government should have consulted widely- call town hall sessions and speak to the stakeholders on its plan. They should have given a deadline for proper registration and limited those designated areas to the likes of Max, Gokada and Opay. Each rider should have a rider's card with details in a database. Each bike must have a plate number and the riders must not violate traffic rules. They should be trained at least once quarterly.
There is no way a city like Lagos can be served conveniently with bus transportation. More buses on those roads will make traffic worse and not better.

I suggest the ban should be reconsidered and reviewed. Otherwise, the elite who support this ban will no longer be able to sleep deeply. Government is not creating jobs and they should not take away the jobs people have created for themselves.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Edo Government Seeks Oshiomhole’s Arrest And Prosecution / Seven Soldiers Killed As Boko Haram Sacks Military Base In Borno / Femi Fani-kayode Celebrates 57th Birthday With A Game Of Thrones Inspired Cake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.