Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation (21465 Views)

Jimi Agbaje To Tinubu: There’s A Limit To Hardship Nigerians Can Endure / Jimi Agbaje wins Lagos PDP Governorship Primary / Lagos: 2019 Jimi Agbaje Joins Governorship Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by nairavsdollars(f): 1:48pm On Feb 03, 2020
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Jimi Agbaje, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Monday said the outright ban on okada and tricycles in some parts of Lagos state is not the solution to accidents and insecurity which is the primary concern of the state government.

Speaking in a chat with Daily Independent, Agbaje who was the Lagos state governorship candidate of the PDP in the 2015 and 2019 general elections said the ban which took effect from February 1 has kept thousands of okada and tricycle riders out jobs .

He said this will have a ripple effect on the economy as those associated with them such as the vulcanizers, spare parts sellers, food sellers and others will also be negatively affected.

While noting the hardships being experienced by some Lagosians as a result of the ban, Agbaje advised Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to regulate the activities of the operators instead of the outright ban, adding that jobless okada and tricycle riders may resort to crimes which will not augur well for the security of the state.

“For me, I note the concerns of the Lagos State Government on security and accidents. But having said that, I am not sure the solution to these problems is the outright ban on the routes they have listed. When you look at the effect of the ban, you are putting thousands of people out of jobs”.

“There is also a ripple effect of the ban because the vulcanizers who mend the tyres of these tricycles and okada will have no jobs to do. Also, the food seller who sells to these okada riders will also close business as they can no longer patronize her”.

“So, it has a ripple effect and to that extent, it affects the economy. It brings about its own security issues. A jobless tricycle or okada rider can be dangerous”.

“I think what we need to do is to regulate them. Regulating them is to bring about the formal operators. You have people that have put together a set up, all you need do is to regulate them”.

“Those operators have regulated themselves in the sense that they have bought motorcycles that are within the laws of Lagos state by the capacity of their motorcycles, so by law they are allowed to move on any route”, he said.
https://www.independent.ng/jimi-agbaje-condemns-outright-ban-on-okada-tricycles-urges-regulation/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by ghettokid1(m): 1:50pm On Feb 03, 2020
APC Governors And Taking Weird decision na 5&6

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by hisexcellency34: 1:53pm On Feb 03, 2020
A lot of people are suffering, not just okada riders

15 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Professorcplus(m): 1:56pm On Feb 03, 2020

Jimi should better take a chill. Sanwo Olu took a very courageous step on this issue. Afterall we have been clamoring for change and here it is. Lagosians like insanity.

There is no development in any country without any change in policies which might affect the masses but it's just for a while and in the long run brings progress. I suggest the governor should introduce a better Mass transit mediums as quick as possible to curb this menace of Lagosians treking.

Las las them go dey alright grin

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by nairavsdollars(f): 2:02pm On Feb 03, 2020
wee u kip kwayet?
Professorcplus:
Customer dada grin

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by ghettokid1(m): 2:05pm On Feb 03, 2020
[s]
Professorcplus:
Customer dada grin
[/s]

6 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Professorcplus(m): 2:13pm On Feb 03, 2020

11 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by ghettokid1(m): 2:16pm On Feb 03, 2020

7 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Maxymilliano(m): 2:18pm On Feb 03, 2020
“For me, I note the concerns of the Lagos State Government on security and accidents. But having said that, I am not sure the solution to these problems is the outright ban on the routes they have listed. When you look at the effect of the ban, you are putting thousands of people out of jobs”.

“There is also a ripple effect of the ban because the vulcanizers who mend the tyres of these tricycles and okada will have no jobs to do. Also, the food seller who sells to these okada riders will also close business as they can no longer patronize her”.

“I think what we need to do is to regulate them. Regulating them is to bring about the formal operators. You have people that have put together a set up, all you need do is to regulate them”.
"ori bibe ko logun ori fifo" (cutting ones head is not the solution to headache), what most of the operators are clamoring for is for the government to regulate their activities, rather than an not outright ban.

10 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by pennywys(m): 2:20pm On Feb 03, 2020
From someone whose brain is alive

I don't really know much about this APC gang
But I know their brains not at a good point when make disiccions for the society

Same for both starks and their starwath
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Bkolibo: 2:21pm On Feb 03, 2020
I heard the ban was due to plot to take over Lagos by Boko Haram

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Adam00(m): 2:21pm On Feb 03, 2020
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by twilliamx(m): 2:21pm On Feb 03, 2020
Jimi should park well. I have been waiting for a governor who had the balls to do it. Lagosians like insanity. They should introduce Mass transit mediums. The government left a very important sector of the economy in the hands of illiterates for a long time. Its time to take it back to bring sanity to the state

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Reffone: 2:21pm On Feb 03, 2020
Oyv
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by benisaac67(m): 2:22pm On Feb 03, 2020
Hmmmm i don't expect this man to ever say piimmm in matters that concerns lagos cos he doesn't have the interest of lagosians @ heart.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Kreamie(m): 2:22pm On Feb 03, 2020
Bike and keke riders are the most flagrant lawbreakers; from one way riding to reckless riding... They cannot be regulated. The kill switch is the only way.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by drizslim(m): 2:22pm On Feb 03, 2020
Fight against tyranny.. If there was alternative the #okada #keke ban wouldn't have been felt in such manner
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by generalwo(m): 2:22pm On Feb 03, 2020
Nigeria is a failed state..... Why ban a major source of lively hood without providing an alternative... Whatever you are trying to prevent will give birth to something much worse.... The crime rate in Lagos is gonna increase 1000%......because boys no get how to survive and many mouths dey to feed

6 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by AmazingDesigns: 2:22pm On Feb 03, 2020
cool
What's that your pressing Graphics Design need?

Is it something you feel I should handle?
Lemme know.
Send a message now.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Adam00(m): 2:22pm On Feb 03, 2020

7 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Adicsonbaba(m): 2:23pm On Feb 03, 2020
Infact the way people dey trek for my side now
U go pity dem o
LASG no do well

5 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by AmazingELixir: 2:24pm On Feb 03, 2020
grin
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by wristbangle: 2:24pm On Feb 03, 2020

5 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by meum: 2:25pm On Feb 03, 2020
The government should have provided alternative(s) or regulate their operation.
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by efighter: 2:25pm On Feb 03, 2020
Who is Jimi Agbaje? Is he Agbero or Okada rider?

7 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by sojayy(m): 2:26pm On Feb 03, 2020
Wetin u go talk before agbaje or ajagbe

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by AntiChristian: 2:26pm On Feb 03, 2020
This man still dey Lasgidi?
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by EcoBrick: 2:26pm On Feb 03, 2020
Maxymilliano:

"ori bibe ko logun ori fifo" (cutting ones head is not the solution to headache), what most of the operators are clamoring for is for the government to regulate their activities, rather than an not outright ban.

Bro, the regulation you speak of is easier said than done. These okada people had turned Lagos to the Okada capital of Africa. Like Jimi himself acknowledged, these riders pose a serious security risk which even the police have demonstrated their inability to effectively manage, not to mention the extortionist angle on the police' part as well. Strange people from God knows where (some say from as far away as Chad and Mali) just enter Lagos in truckloads solely for Okada business. Last time I checked, Lagos isn't the only state in Nigeria. There are similar bans in effect in some other states and the riders from such states just pack themselves in trucks and enter Lagos for Okada business. It may be a bitter pill to swallow for now but I believe Lagosians would adjust to it.

14 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by SaintLucia: 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2020
Happy New Year Jimmy Agbaje long time no see.
Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by hisexcellency34: 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2020
Keep quiet there! You ban people's only mode of transport without providing alternatives. Is that good governance?

twilliamx:
Jimi should park well. I have been waiting for governor who had the balls to do it. Lagosians like insanity. They should introduce Mass transit mediums. They left a very important sector of the economy in the hands of illiterates for a long time.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation by Kingpele(m): 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2020
Hahahaha grin grin grin, this jimi guy needs special adviser on keke and okada affairs portfolio... cause the way he want to shine with this matter get as e be... But he said the truth sha. our government is too short sighted, u want to reduce crime in one hand and in same vain create worse crimes in the other hand by depriving fathers and Adults of their only source of income.... How do you want them to survive in this buharia administration... Nawa...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kidnapped Female Students Of KSCOE Regain Freedom (Photo) / Appeal Court Nullifies Election Of Lp’s Agbo, Orders Re-run / Where On Earth Is Chief Oladeinde Fenandez? Nigerian's Truly Richest Man.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.