Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure (12637 Views)

Help Me Say 'Thank You' To Seyi Tinubu - President's Personal Photographer, Nosa / Nigerians That Left High Paid Jobs Overseas To Serve Their Country / Governor-Elect Makinde Pay Condolence Visit To Temitope (sugar) Family - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by Tripleoluwa(m): 7:55am On Feb 04, 2020
GamalNasser:
See what a so called experienced lawyer is saying ? pay them off for what ?so being LocalGovt Chairman is about the pay instead of the work .which part of the Constitution allows for paying off elected officials? Are they employees of the governor? Both Chairmen and governors are employees of the Constitution.

The state constitution, as amended, vested powers on the state gov to create, fund and general well-being of local governments. So paying them is captured under funding, as written in the constitution. Just recently did NFIU Act mandated banks not to allow state government to withdraw money from the local government account
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by maasoap(m): 8:09am On Feb 04, 2020
GamalNasser:
See what a so called experienced lawyer is saying?

“Once the Local Government chairmen have been elected, they have to serve their tenure and if at all you are not allowing them to finish their tenure, you will have to pay them. This is the position of the law.”

pay them off for what ?so being LocalGovt Chairman is about the pay instead of the work .which part of the Constitution allows for paying off elected officials? Are they employees of the governor? Both Chairmen and governors are employees of the Constitution.

But mumu governor woke up one day and decided to send them packing just because they don't belong to the same political party. They were democratically elected just like him. Many people don't really have regards for Nigerian constitution.

1 Like

Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by babaoo: 8:47am On Feb 04, 2020
maasoap:

But mumu governor woke up one day and decided to send them packing just because they don't belong to the same political party. They were democratically elected just like him. Many people don't really have regards for Nigerian constitution.

The election that brought the local chairman into office was a total scam,the governor knows this,the local chairman's know this even the people of Oyo knows this because only APC was allow to contest in all local govt.i know this because I base in Ibadan,so don't ask me how I know.if am d governor I will d same thing and go to court with enough evidence to prove my actions which I believe what d governor has done.so let all party wait till count decide.

INEC is the cause of these issue,there know the process that lead to the election was not right yet there still allow the election to be held when only one party is contesting out of over 50 party.
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by TrebleChamp(m): 9:22am On Feb 04, 2020
Oyo state government is try too hard to be smart about the issue but they are not. And to think that the attorney-general of the state (who is a professor of law) would support that illegal action just to please his boss is really troubling. The main crux of the matter is that the OYO State govt sacked a duly elected Council Chairmen without a court order to that effect. The govt should have waited for their appeal against the election to be head and concluded before taking such unconstitutional action, Only a competent court can remove an elected official, whether Local govt chairman, state governor, president or members of the legislative arm of govt. That other State governors did it does not make it right, we can't be shouting for progress when we still want same old nonsense to happen. This action by the AGF will serve as reference and warning to other and future Governors. If a Governor can wake up anyday and sack elected Council Chairmen, the President can also wake up anyday and sack a State Governor.
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by PEDRO117: 10:21am On Feb 04, 2020
Ajimobi created the whole problem, prior to that elections, a court judgement stated that there should be no local government election, but Ajimobi went on to conduct the elections, Ajimobi didn't obey court orders, but you think Makinde should leave them there, Ajimobi was proven as a mischief maker, when he advised the illegal local government chairmen to sue the Oyo state government that they cannot be chased, this happened after APC had lost the gubernatorial elections, no Lawyer appeared for the Oyo state government which made it easy for the chairmen to get their desired judgement...

1 Like

Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by ForbesHomesNG(m): 11:09am On Feb 04, 2020
saheedbadmus:
Hmm.. well he doesn't have to pay them off, all he needs to do is make sure another election is held asap..
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by ojaysam25(m): 11:50am On Feb 04, 2020
falana have been saying a lot lately
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by TrebleChamp(m): 12:29pm On Feb 04, 2020
PEDRO117:
Ajimobi created the whole problem, prior to that elections, a court judgement stated that there should be no local government election, but Ajimobi went on to conduct the elections, Ajimobi didn't obey court orders, but you think Makinde should leave them there, Ajimobi was proven as a mischief maker, when he advised the illegal local government chairmen to sue the Oyo state government that they cannot be chased, this happened after APC had lost the gubernatorial elections, no Lawyer appeared for the Oyo state government which made it easy for the chairmen to get their desired judgement...
Regardless of this, Markinde is powerless to remove elected Council Chairmen. Let him return to court and wait for the court judgement on the matter..
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by Urchman200: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
Goldencheese:

I like your comment. Very informed.
how that man became a human right activist is beyond me, speaking from both sides of his mouth, he can never stand on one side so that u can identify him says much about where he is coming from.

1 Like

Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by Adek65: 12:54pm On Feb 04, 2020
olayemioshiyemi:
Ajimobi is the genesis of this crisis ....he should be dealt with .
You know oyo state very well
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by zoedew: 1:03pm On Feb 04, 2020
What talk coming from from a supposed champion of good governance. Are ELECTED tenured public officials in office to receive allowances or more essentially to serve!
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by raumdeuter: 1:51pm On Feb 04, 2020
babaoo:

The election that brought the local chairman into office was a total scam,the governor knows this,the local chairman's know this even the people of Oyo knows this because only APC was allow to contest in all local govt.i know this because I base in Ibadan,so don't ask me how I know.if am d governor I will d same thing and go to court with enough evidence to prove my actions which I believe what d governor has done.so let all party wait till count decide.

INEC is the cause of these issue,there know the process that lead to the election was not right yet there still allow the election to be held when only one party is contesting out of over 50 party.

Can Buhari also say the election that brought in Seyi Makinde is a scam and sack him from office then tell Seyi to go to court and prove Buharis actions wrong.

When there is a dispute about election, there is an election tribunal and courts that decide just like they decided Seyis election and gave him victory
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:29pm On Feb 04, 2020
Tripleoluwa:

The state constitution, as amended, vested powers on the state gov to create, fund and general well-being of local governments. So paying them is captured under funding, as written in the constitution. Just recently did NFIU Act mandated banks not to allow state government to withdraw money from the local government account

Lol. For where you dey read your own law? No law gave states the power to create Local governments. LG's are created by Constitutional amendments which involves the whole states in the country. The States only has the power to conduct election into the offices of the LG and as the Supreme court has said, you cannot remove them from office. They must enjoy their full tenure.
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by maasoap(m): 2:42pm On Feb 04, 2020
babaoo:

The election that brought the local chairman into office was a total scam, the governor knows this,the local chairman's know this even the people of Oyo knows this because only APC was allow to contest in all local govt.i know this because I base in Ibadan,so don't ask me how I know.if am d governor I will d same thing and go to court with enough evidence to prove my actions which I believe what d governor has done.so let all party wait till count decide.

And he's going to conduct one that will be free of scam? Even, you yourself knows that it will still be the same thing
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by anukulapo: 3:15pm On Feb 04, 2020
Thegoodone13:
All comments above show ignorant of law. They are elected into that post and the governor challenge the process that make them chairman. The governor can either allow them to spend their tenure or he pay them off and conduct another election. The governor will pay all their salary for three years.

From his pocket?
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by raumdeuter: 3:17pm On Feb 04, 2020
Thegoodone13:
All comments above show ignorant of law. They are elected into that post and the governor challenge the process that make them chairman. The governor can either allow them to spend their tenure or he pay them off and conduct another election. The governor will pay all their salary for three years.

The people elected them to govern for 3yrs, will they pay off those who elected them?

Can Buhari also offer to pay off governors their 4yrs salary and tell them to vacate office
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by Adewale623(m): 4:56pm On Feb 04, 2020
GamalNasser:
See what a so called experienced lawyer is saying ? pay them off for what ?so being LocalGovt Chairman is about the pay instead of the work .which part of the Constitution allows for paying off elected officials? Are they employees of the governor? Both Chairmen and governors are employees of the Constitution.
The same constitution was the basis of his argument.
Re: Falana To Seyi Makinde: Pay Off Elected Chairmen Or Let Them Serve Their Tenure by GamalNasser: 5:19pm On Feb 04, 2020
Adewale623:
The same constitution was the basis of his argument.

Nigeria constitution is superior to any enactment from a state legislation

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi, Endorses Tinubu's Presidential Ambition (Video) / FCT Minister Mohamed Renames Abuja’s Maitama As Goodluck Jonathan District / I Will Restore Lg's Lost Glory When I Emerge Ogun Governor - Adebutu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.