Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

We Are All Casualties - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / We Are All Casualties (166 Views)

Shot Assistant Commissioner Of Police Dies In Edo ...as Casualties Of Cult War I / Many Escaped Death With No Casualties As A Commercial Bus Tumbled On The 3rd Mai / Car Crashes Into Roban Stores Abakaliki Left With Casualties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We Are All Casualties by Maworry22: 9:39am On Feb 04, 2020
Because I didn’t witness the Nigerian civil war (1967-1970), I wasn’t able to get the clear picture J.P Clark was trying to depict in his poem, The Casualties which I read as part of my literature poems in secondary school. With all the explanation by my teacher, I was still doubtful but little did I know that what is more than civil but heinous war will ensue in this same country and I will be able to have an undiluted experience that will paint the picture of death, hunger and insecurity the civil war brought.

While the poem was telling us the effect of the war, it didn’t sound real to me because I was only imagining the event that I didn’t witness. The poet talked about how people died while those who buried others were also waiting for death to strike them because it would always come unexpected, how lives and properties were destroyed and people left with kwashiorkor.

The first four lines of the poem say “The casualties are not only those who are dead. They are well out of it. The casualties are not only those who are dead. Though they await burial by installment.“

Our nation is in total chaos and comatose, drifting to the edge of a deep pit. It will be hypocritical to keep shut and say nothing is happening or we should say it’s the problem of the north and not the east or west just because of religious or political affiliations.

If you had not lost anyone directly to the insurgency ravaging the country, you probably could have heard of story from someone who knows somebody who had had his share of it
This problem recently became the bedrock of the prayer walk embarked by RCCG, led by Pastor E.A Adeboye, telling the government that every life count because none of us can sleep with two eyes closed. This shows that everyone is affected regardless of political or religious affiliations

The inhuman and gruesome killings have become bothersome and incommodious. I wake up every day with the fear of reading any blood shedding related news and if I see one; my heart would bleed and weep for the country. Neither the rich nor the poor is safe, whether you are religious or chronic atheist, your life isn’t guaranteed. Gone are those days when we say the rich are protected, everyone now walks with precarious life just because of the insensitivity of our government. We are casualties.

Herdsmen killing, kidnapping, bombing, now become a regular story in our dailies. The security of the country is threatened everyday without hope of recovering or grease to soothe our pains. Indeed we are all casualties.

We can’t forget Leah Sharibu who was recently confirmed to have a baby at the Boko Haram camp, the gruesome killing of CAN Chairman in Adamawa, the killings of abducted seminaries in Kaduna and more.

The insecurity problem facing the country can only be the blame of the government and government alone. The first duty of government is to provide security for its citizenry and to protect against internal and external aggression but Nigeria is missing it.

Just like the poet added, “the drums overwhelm the guns…Caught in the clash of counterclaims and charges…” Instead of our government to come out and accept responsibility and provide a solution, they will, however, come with lengthy letters sympathizing with Nigeria with frail promise of finding a solution to the killings.

Even if we are to all leave this country, the lackadaisical action of our government towards security and other issues has made a country blacklisted Nigerian from seeking solace.

Its high time government woke up from slumber and savages the country from sinking in this deep ocean of insecurity.

We are all casualties already, kindly relief our pains

Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/Hollarlekhan/posts/3053767894657046

(1) (Reply)

Our Formation, Not Inimical To Ohaneze, Nzuko Ndigbo, Others – NUF / I Need A Web Designer Please / Uyo To Yola By Road, Imigration Charges N1000 For Not Having Your National Id

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.