Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (617183 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (432) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by LordAdam16: 8:36pm On May 01, 2020
OakPearl:

I smell a bit of a conspiracy:
Amazon's announcement, plus Trump threatening China and then most recently, Elon Musk stating Tesla stock price is too high thereby leading to a prompt 10% price depreciation.
With all of these happening at the same time, it tells a lot.
As negative as it appears, all I see is opportunity to cherry-pick great stocks when they a through crashing prices by their actions.

lafuria1:

True, opportunity to capitalise.

Elon musk statement really puzzled me, musk is a big friend of Trump.. I just didn't get

They know what they are doing. Some argue that what musk did is in violation of NYSE regulations.

We watch to see how low it goes.

They're getting most of the negatives in at a time when there's some positive investor sentiment. Rather than wait until there's an extended slump.

Trump will punish China. Much of the West may, but US would have to lead the charge before they seriously consider it. He's announcing it now so investors can price it in and so it would be a blip on the radar when he slaps a $1T+ bill on China.

Personally, I think disciplining China is essential to global economic security going forward. It was irresponsible to close travel from Wuhan to every other Chinese city, but leave it open to the rest of the World. That singular move doomed every economy on the Planet. That satisfies even the most liberal criteria for terrorism. Not sticking a foot up their rear will create a worrying precedence. Not to mention, it'd be a penny-wise-pound-foolish move.

A $1T bill will not bankrupt China nor end globalism, but it'd be a stern rebuke so they act better when the next pandemic starts there. When not if!

Doing this now rather than later is essential to safeguarding a long-term rally later in the year and simultaneously giving the 30m Americans who've lost their jobs the proverbial "pound of flesh" at the most effective time.

I wouldn't worry about Trump's performance with the economy. That's his biggest strength.

As to the state of the market; the biggest worry for me is the expected second wave. Will the response to it be a second lock down or taking it as a painful price to attain herd immunity. It's why folks from Big Business are voicing caution. That said, between now and then, hawk-eyed traders should be able to make several quick gains with well-timed entry-and-exits.

The biggest issue with the COVID-19 crisis is not the health outcomes or economic distress; it's the partisan politics.

-Lord

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lancee(m): 9:07pm On May 01, 2020
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 9:35pm On May 01, 2020
lancee:
Market on red ...just booked my profit on warren's Reit ..Stor ..I will re-enter if see good dip

Sold half of my gild at minimal loss
Nice move, boss! Although I guess what is happening is the ''Sell in May and Go Away fallacy. I don't see the massive March dip coming back but we might experience another low before the final take-off. Kind of a ''W'' recovery.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 9:55pm On May 01, 2020
MummyIMadeIt:
Big men in the house sorry for disturbing but I really will like to know if someone can start this up with 10k naira value.

If possible ,will like to start trading. Likewise between Chaka and trove which best suits my portfolio of starting small with less charges and exchange fees

Again I am a novice and wouldn't mind guidance on what shares to buy with that little fund as I also learn from the investment sites listed on the thread.

Thanks

lafuria1:

Yes , you can invest 10k Naira, just know that the return will be very small. If you make 10%, you will get 1000 naira profit, you just have to be patience to make that 10%.

You will have to download both apps, registered with them and see what they offer and you make your decision on which one you will prefer. I don't use any of them, so I can't tell you their differences.

As a novice, it's generally advisable to buy from the popular big companies that are stable, like apple , Amazon, Google ( Alphabet) etc. When you check the apps you will get more info.

Buying a stock is like buying gold, when the value of gold increase over time, your money will Increase, and vice versa

This just a high level summary, you will need to ask questions and read more on how the stock market operates and how to get the best out of it
Just to add to this wonderful response. A better approach is to save some money before you begin investing. Buy/sell commission will wipe out your gain, and possibly part of your capital if you start trading with N10,000. But if you must begin now then make sure you consistently invest in the market after starting with the initial N10,000 but don't trade with such amount.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lancee(m): 9:59pm On May 01, 2020
seyisanya:
Nice move, boss! Although I guess what is happening is the ''Sell in May and Go Away fallacy. I don't see the massive March dip coming back but we might experience another low before the final take-off. Kind of a ''W'' recovery.

I guess as much sir
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dunsin125: 10:46pm On May 01, 2020
lafuria1:
Today might just be a RED day, the pre market currently is bad.

Investors don't like been told they won't make money and Also they hate uncertainty.
Despite Apple beating revenue projections for the last quarter, Investors are not happy because apple said they can't tell them what they will make in next quarter.

Amazon said they will spend their last quarter profit of 4bn dollars on fighting covid-19 Amazon is down by 6%. Still a good buy, people are staying home and making orders now.

It's an opportunity to buy some stocks cheap but just know that this coming months, May , June, July won't be a smooth ride.

Be vigilant so you don't lose all your gains. Better to sell with your gains and re buy at a cheaper rate.

Boss, what do you mean by May, June and July won't be a smooth ride.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by LordAdam16: 11:54pm On May 01, 2020
dunsin125:

It means that's when data from March, April, May; three of the deadliest months will begin to reflect in company reports. There's always a lag of 2-3 months.

Even worse, no one knows what kind of news we'd be hearing later this month or next. It might be a mix although we hope for the best. As such it'd not be a smooth ride.

IMO the worst is behind us but the caveat is how the reopening turns out in a few weeks. The most important thing to watch for is how people react to the inevitable surge in cases/fatalities. My fear is it'd be political rather than rational.

I always like to add that this is a once-in-a-century pandemic, the first of its kind in the age of globalization, caused by a novel virus that didn't exist until late 2019. Everybody is winging it as there's no template for dealing with something like this. Everybody!

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lafuria1(m): 12:19am On May 02, 2020
dunsin125:

Due to covid-19 some companies immediately went under, the airlines industry crashed, oil industry crashed, The tech and retail industry managed to survive till now but all of them are warning the next quarter ( may June July) won't be easy as a result of expected fall in demand

People have lost jobs (30m in US), world economy is creeping towards recession, US GDP contraced by 4.6% . basically, people won't have money,
"Everywhere go dry". Business people won't see customers, if no customers, no sales , no profit

The hope is the this next quarter will see a gradual success against Corona virus and a gradual return of normal life , during this phase , do you expect business to move.?

With this in mind investors won't invest more money untill things get better, companies won't make much money and you the existing investor wont make profit.

For the stock market, unless the economy improve, it won't really go up high, it will just be incremental up and down, nothing big.

For example: Apple yesterday announced to shareholders that they can't tell what their revenue projections will be for next quarter

If things go well like we have a good approved vaccine or drug for covid 19, that could speed things up.

For now, so much uncertainty

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by bjbjbj: 1:06am On May 02, 2020
Go to YouTube or Udemy
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by MummyIMadeIt: 2:55am On May 02, 2020
seyisanya:

Just to add to this wonderful response. A better approach is to save some money before you begin investing. Buy/sell commission will wipe out your gain, and possibly part of your capital if you start trading with N10,000. But if you must begin now then make sure you consistently invest in the market after starting with the initial N10,000 but don't trade with such amount.

OK I guess I wait to gather more funds. Thanks
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by bjbjbj: 5:13am On May 02, 2020
Me getting close to beat the PDT rules!
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by thesilentone(m): 7:27am On May 02, 2020
seyisanya:

Very true, boss.
These Fintechs are making so much from the commission they charge.

In fact, I realised most of the popular trading platforms in the USA charge 0% commission! But the question is: how do they make money?

Competition among the brokers has provided a positive benefit to end users. If the biggest companies with the best tools are offering 0% commissions to buy/sell shares, in effect, the smallest companies will either conform or go out of business. ''When two elephants fight, the grass will suffer''. This competition only hit new highs last year, as a customer, long may it continue. They make their money from other investment instruments and offerings once they get the customers. That's the game - get the customers in through the door, then sell them other products/offerings.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by civilserva: 8:07am On May 02, 2020
I believe as time goes on, we can have direct access to US brokers who charge very low commision. Our fintechs are just reaping us from dollar conversion and trade commission.

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dunsin125: 8:36am On May 02, 2020
lafuria1:

Due to covid-19 some companies immediately went under, the airlines industry crashed, oil industry crashed, The tech and retail industry managed to survive till now but all of them are warning the next quarter ( may June July) won't be easy as a result of expected fall in demand

People have lost jobs (30m in US), world economy is creeping towards recession, US GDP contraced by 4.6% . basically, people won't have money,
"Everywhere go dry". Business people won't see customers, if no customers, no sales , no profit

The hope is the this next quarter will see a gradual success against Corona virus and a gradual return of normal life , during this phase , do you expect business to move.?

With this in mind investors won't invest more money untill things get better, companies won't make much money and you the existing investor wont make profit.

For the stock market, unless the economy improve, it won't really go up high, it will just be incremental up and down, nothing big.

For example: Apple yesterday announced to shareholders that they can't tell what their revenue projections will be for next quarter

If things go well like we have a good approved vaccine or drug for covid 19, that could speed things up.

For now, so much uncertainty
I think this year is gonna be good for long term investors...... buy and wait for it.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dunsin125: 8:37am On May 02, 2020
LordAdam16:

It means that's when data from March, April, May; three of the deadliest months will begin to reflect in company reports. There's always a lag of 2-3 months.

Even worse, no one knows what kind of news we'd be hearing later this month or next. It might be a mix although we hope for the best. As such it'd not be a smooth ride.

IMO the worst is behind us but the caveat is how the reopening turns out in a few weeks. The most important thing to watch for is how people react to the inevitable surge in cases/fatalities. My fear is it'd be political rather than rational.

I always like to add that this is a once-in-a-century pandemic, the first of its kind in the age of globalization, caused by a novel virus that didn't exist until late 2019. Everybody is winging it as there's no template for dealing with something like this. Everybody!

-Lord
Thanks bros
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Tabuse20: 11:50am On May 02, 2020
thesilentone:

Competition among the brokers has provided a positive benefit to end users. If the biggest companies with the best tools are offering 0% commissions to buy/sell shares, in effect, the smallest companies will either conform or go out of business. ''When two elephants fight, the grass will suffer''. This competition only hit new highs last year, as a customer, long may it continue. They make their money from other investment instruments and offerings once they get the customers. That's the game - get the customers in through the door, then sell them other products/offerings.

The exact reason why people have to keep reviweing and sharing our experiences with all the current apps (Chaka, Bamboo, Trove, and Rise) in order for them all to stay competitive, and especially for end users (us) to get more value for our money. It looks exploitative to have high fees for buying and selling, as well as high exchange rates too. Which is one of the reason why I did not consider day trading....you would basically be working for them. If any of them finds a way to key into much lower, competitive costs, more end users will subscribe. Or better still, a new player could enter the market focusing solely on these 3 points and gather more market share. I was impressed to see Bamboo has now included analyst reviews and aggregrated news for each stock...it helps improve owner's due diligence.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dunsin125: 12:19pm On May 02, 2020
Who is going for Boeing.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by thesilentone(m): 12:23pm On May 02, 2020
Tabuse20:

The exact reason why people have to keep reviweing and sharing our experiences with all the current apps (Chaka, Bamboo, Trove, and Rise) in order for them all to stay competitive, and especially for end users (us) to get more value for our money. It looks exploitative to have high fees for buying and selling, as well as high exchange rates too. Which is one of the reason why I did not consider day trading....you would basically be working for them. If any of them finds a way to key into much lower, competitive costs, more end users will subscribe. Or better still, a new player could enter the market focusing solely on these 3 points and gather more market share. I was impressed to see Bamboo has now included analyst reviews and aggregrated news for each stock...it helps improve owner's due diligence.

I don't use any of these services so I cannot comment outside of what I read on here which, for the most part, has not been great. However, I don't think from a business perspective, as it stands, that they will be able to offer these low rates. Firstly, what is the uptake of interest in US stocks as compared to local stocks? How many people actively trade it? How profitable will it be to them in the long run? How big are these fintechs to pull such leverage? Exchange rate will always impact on the costs they charge. Even in the UK, there are very few brokerages that offer the option to trade US stocks, they would rather have you trade on the LSE. If you decide to use a cheaper option like Denigro, they will convert your funds to their base currency, carry out your services then when you decide to recoup your funds, they will pay you after converting to their base currency. It charges 'cheap fees' but I'm sure you can see that your profits will be severely impaired by their conversion rates. Without sounding like an apologist for them, I think they should be given time for improvement. I think clients can drive them to improve, if they are open to it OR a bigger, better competition can wipe out their market share - the four combined. A typical example would be when Globacom introduced the per-second billing, it forced MTN & Econnet to adjust but there was already a huge market ready to be taken over. Customers of these current fintechs should continue to push for improvements until better options come into the market space.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Tabuse20: 1:02pm On May 02, 2020
thesilentone:

I don't use any of these services so I cannot comment outside of what I read on here which, for the most part, has not been great. However, I don't think from a business perspective, as it stands, that they will be able to offer these low rates. Firstly, what is the uptake of interest in US stocks as compared to local stocks? How many people actively trade it? How profitable will it be to them in the long run? How big are these fintechs to pull such leverage? Exchange rate will always impact on the costs they charge. Even in the UK, there are very few brokerages that offer the option to trade US stocks, they would rather have you trade on the LSE. If you decide to use a cheaper option like Denigro, they will convert your funds to their base currency, carry out your services then when you decide to recoup your funds, they will pay you after converting to their base currency. It charges 'cheap fees' but I'm sure you can see that your profits will be severely impaired by their conversion rates. Without sounding like an apologist for them, I think they should be given time for improvement. I think clients can drive them to improve, if they are open to it OR a bigger, better competition can wipe out their market share - the four combined. A typical example would be when Globacom introduced the per-second billing, it forced MTN & Econnet to adjust but there was already a huge market ready to be taken over. Customers of these current fintechs should continue to push for improvements until better options come into the market space.

You're right, from a business prespective, service improvements is a very practical deal to push for given the current situation users are mostly encountering across all apps especially regarding payments/deposit processing. There remains high financial illiteracy in Nigeria, and many people are still wary of anything stock market. Regardless of these challenges, there is huge market potential in this country so they have to keep innovating to stay competitive. As referenced in your telcom sector analysis, the general reduction of charges and exchange rate will be a game changer for etiher of these apps, or a new market entrant. Of course, not 0% charges like Robinnood, but a reasonable reducfion. The future looks bright.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YBAR(m): 1:10pm On May 02, 2020
Guys, I registered with chaka and I'm yet to be allocated cscs number. It's been days now, they're not picking my calls And I already funded the account, should I panic?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lastclaire4(f): 1:41pm On May 02, 2020
YBAR:
Guys, I registered with chaka and I'm yet to be allocated cscs number. It's been days now, they're not picking my calls And I already funded the account, should I panic?

Cscs is only needed for local stocks. Mine came close to a week after. They said they had problems with verification from cbn.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YBAR(m): 2:36pm On May 02, 2020
lastclaire4:

Cscs is only needed for local stocks. Mine came close to a week after. They said they had problems with verification from cbn.

OK. Thanks
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YBAR(m): 2:39pm On May 02, 2020
seyisanya:

How about 50k, is it enough to start??

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by kunlef1: 5:20pm On May 02, 2020
YBAR:

That is over $100. So it should be enough. But do not try to spread it over too many stocks because you will pay a minimum fee of $2 per transaction. So better do your research and stick to 1 or 2 stocks max.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Ibrahim505(m): 5:22pm On May 02, 2020
YBAR:

I suggest you start with 5% of your gross cash.
You can increase your stakes gradually while learning the inevitable lessons.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by kunlef1: 5:24pm On May 02, 2020
Has anybody done direct USD bank transfer to Chaka wallet? Can you provide swift code and other details? The info provided on the app is not sufficient for most international transfer requirements. Sent them an email on it since early last week but no response.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dunsin125: 7:15pm On May 02, 2020
kunlef1:
Has anybody done direct USD bank transfer to Chaka wallet? Can you provide swift code and other details? The info provided on the app is not sufficient for most international transfer requirements. Sent them an email on it since early last week but no response.
You can only do USD bank transfer if you have a domiciliary account else you have to transfer in naira to your wallet and then exchange it to USD.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 9:03pm On May 02, 2020
OakPearl:

I have a series of apps on my phone I use to track stock performances on the go.
I then create a collection of various watchlists with code names based on defined criteria and performances/behaviours.

This way, I can make a stock pick by swiftly running through fundamentals and technicals.

Plz how can I understand the stock market as good as you. And yes I've downloaded some books
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YBAR(m): 9:41am On May 03, 2020
Another question guys. I'm in for the long term. So which market would you recommend? Should I invest in An Index fund? Or go with one of these Leading Companies? I need your advice.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by yemkaf(m): 12:11pm On May 03, 2020
To the boss men and ladies in the house I greet. I am a newbie and know virtually nothing about stock trading but I have been going through this thread from page one till now. Still never done my first trade and still learn I am still on trial and error stage. But despite my shallow knowledge in stock trading I think I found something worth sharing here, but I'll like the senior man in the house to go through it and give there verdict on it. Thanks.

Amgen (AMGN) came out with quarterly earnings of $4.17 per share, beating the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $3.70 per share. This compares to earnings of $3.56 per share a year ago. These figures are adjusted for non-recurring items.

This quarterly report represents an earnings surprise of 12.70%. A quarter ago, it was expected that this world's largest biotech drugmaker would post earnings of $3.44 per share when it actually produced earnings of $3.64, delivering a surprise of 5.81%.

Over the last four quarters, the company has surpassed consensus EPS estimates four times.

Amgen, which belongs to the Zacks Medical - Biomedical and Genetics industry, posted revenues of $6.16 billion for the quarter ended March 2020, surpassing the Zacks Consensus Estimate by 2.53%. This compares to year-ago revenues of $5.56 billion. The company has topped consensus revenue estimates four times over the last four quarters.

The sustainability of the stock's immediate price movement based on the recently-released numbers and future earnings expectations will mostly depend on management's commentary on the earnings call.

Amgen shares have lost about 2.2% since the beginning of the year versus the S&P 500's decline of -9%.

What's Next for Amgen?

While Amgen has outperformed the market so far this year, the question that comes to investors' minds is: what's next for the stock?

There are no easy answers to this key question, but one reliable measure that can help investors address this is the company's earnings outlook. Not only does this include current consensus earnings expectations for the coming quarter(s), but also how these expectations have changed lately.

Empirical research shows a strong correlation between near-term stock movements and trends in earnings estimate revisions. Investors can track such revisions by themselves or rely on a tried-and-tested rating tool like the Zacks Rank, which has an impressive track record of harnessing the power of earnings estimate revisions.

Ahead of this earnings release, the estimate revisions trend for Amgen was mixed. While the magnitude and direction of estimate revisions could change following the company's just-released earnings report, the current status translates into a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold) for the stock. So, the shares are expected to perform in line with the market in the near future. You can see the complete list of today's Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here.

It will be interesting to see how estimates for the coming quarters and current fiscal year change in the days ahead. The current consensus EPS estimate is $3.93 on $6.31 billion in revenues for the coming quarter and $15.36 on $25.21 billion in revenues for the current fiscal year.

Investors should be mindful of the fact that the outlook for the industry can have a material impact on the performance of the stock as well. In terms of the Zacks Industry Rank, Medical - Biomedical and Genetics is currently in the top 6% of the 250 plus Zacks industries. Our research shows that the top 50% of the Zacks-ranked industries outperform the bottom 50% by a factor of more than 2 to 1.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sonnie10: 7:22pm On May 03, 2020
nna777:
Lemme follow my ogas too grin grin grin

Bought Gilead @64, now @84. holding till @100.

Took a big risk to buy Boeing @95 now @142. Holding too. May will determine the direction of the market.
That is stock market for you. This speculation of $100 did not work as at tody.
It is probably time to even off load as it nose dives
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 8:28pm On May 03, 2020
sonnie10:

That is stock market for you. This speculation of $100 did not work as at tody.
It is probably time to even off load as it nose dives
After doing your due diligence, and you buy stocks for long term purpose, you don't need to bother about the daily price fluctuations. Most especially if you bought at discounted prices like those who bought in March 2020.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (432) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.