Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,078 members, 7,953,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:42 PM

How To Use Weeds(grass) As Plants Fertilizer - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Use Weeds(grass) As Plants Fertilizer (531 Views)

Longer Lasting Solution To The Stubborn Weeds / How I Use My Urine(pee) As Plants Fertilizer / Economic Importance Of Weeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Use Weeds(grass) As Plants Fertilizer by my2chains(m): 2:22am On Feb 07, 2020
Using your own farm weeds and grass,
do you know you can make homemade fertilizer tea?
Here’s how.
Yes, plants appreciate a spot of tea now and then too—just like I do— instead I make a free fertilizer tea from plants, weeds or grass that they appreciate even more.
Compost tea and manure tea have been mainstays of the organic garden for a long time. It is not hard to toss some compost into a bucket of water and let it steep for a few days to a few weeks, stirring daily. Cover with a piece of screening or row cover to keep mosquitoes from breeding in it. Strain off the liquid, return the solids to your compost pile, and use the liquid as a soil drench or a foliage spray, either full strength or diluted. Garden teas made from plants are just as easy and don’t require you to pick up a load of manure or use any of your precious compost. Next time you are weeding the farm throw all the weeds into a bucket or trash can, chopping them up as you go. When it is about half full, fill it with water. Don’t use chlorinated water; rainwater is the best (also free!) Screen the top to keep mosquitoes out. Stir daily or if using manageable sized buckets you can pour it from one bucket into another to mix things up and keep it aerated. Let it soak for 3 days to 2 weeks. Strain and use the liquid right away as a fertilizer or foliar feeding. It can be diluted or used full strength on established plants. Since plant leaves tend to absorb more nutrients faster than roots, foliar feeding is an efficient way to fertilize. Weeds are full of nutrients they have absorbed from your soil so it is only fitting to extract the water soluble ones and return them to your plants.
Re: How To Use Weeds(grass) As Plants Fertilizer by my2chains(m): 2:24am On Feb 07, 2020
Fresh grass clippings are high in nitrogen and potassium. Gather up your clippings next time you mow the lawn, fill a bucket 2/3 full of them, add water and steep 3 days, stirring daily. Fertilizer teas are fast-acting and free. Apply them no more than every two weeks or when your plants need a boost. They are especially effective on newly transplanted ones and those in blossom or setting fruit. Brew up a batch of weeds and throw a garden tea party for your plants!
Re: How To Use Weeds(grass) As Plants Fertilizer by my2chains(m): 2:28am On Feb 07, 2020
Turning weeds into liquid fertilizer is rather easy.

1. Get a large bucket or other container with a lid.
2. Put the pulled-up weeds (including both roots and leaves) in the bucket.
3. Add water. Put about 8 cups of water in the bucket for every pound of weeds.
4. Cover the bucket with a tight-fitting lid.
5. Leave the bucket for 2 to 4 weeks.
6. Stir it every week or so. But be forewarned — it isn’t going to smell very good—the fermentation process can be smelly, for sure. Try to think of it as having an earthy, agricultural aroma! And try not to get any of this concentrated concoction on your hands or clothes. It will stain.
7. Strain it using cheesecloth (or even pantyhose!). The liquid is what you will want to use on your garden; the solid mass of fermented weeds may still contain some viable weed seeds, so you will want to discard it. After you have strained the liquid, it is done.
8. Dilute it before using, at the rate of 1 part weed tea to 10 parts water. Then pour it on the soil at the base of your plants. To use it as a fertilizing foliar spray, dilute it until the color of the liquid is like a weak tea. You can also pour it on the base of your vegetable plants, but don’t spray it on the vegetables that are ready to be harvested. Perhaps a better way to make it—a method that requires no straining—is to put the weeds in a permeable sack (tied at the neck), and put the sack in a large bucket of water (enough water to cover the sack of weeds). Let it sit for 2 to 4 weeks, adding water if necessary. You can also add additional sacks of weeds, making this method a recipe for ongoing weed tea production. You can also add aged manure or herbs to the bucket, along with grass clippings and pruned-off plant parts. They all contain nutrients that can be recycled back into the soil through this process. It’s best to use the weed tea during the same season you produced it, the quicker the better. People have been gardening for thousands of years, and did not always have manufactured fertilizers available for purchase. They used what they had available—including weeds— and made their own fertilizer. Making liquid fertilizer from weeds is a back-to- basics way of returning the nutrients in weeds to the soil. What could be easier?

1 Like

Re: How To Use Weeds(grass) As Plants Fertilizer by my2chains(m): 3:18am On Feb 07, 2020
In summary all you need is to get weeds or grass and put them inside a big bucket, then pour water into the bucket and cover it for 2 weeks or more after the 2 weeks then it is now ready to be used on your plants.

this is a free fertilizer for people looking for alternatives you know not everyone can afford a fertilizer,
but the thing about this is the smell after it has decomposted,

i swear the smell can make you loose an election.

if you are the type that have read all your books and you are awaiting your exams just know that the smell will make you forget just everything you have read LOL!

Anyways its simple if you can block your nose and filter out the weeds and use only the water and dilute the content as directed and apply to your plants.

the good news is that you can really store the weed fertilizer for a long period of time unlike the urine fertilizer,
the more it stays the more it works. also note it should only be applied once in a week to the plants.

am thinking will someone still ask me please how can i get weeds for this?

Which weeds is the best to use for this weed tea fertilizer?

Hmm my reply to you will be like this,

go to the market and buy ugwu leaf and bitter leaf then mix and boil them in a hot water for seven days and apply it gently to your plants LOL!

Let us see if your plants wont die in just 2 minutes.

please do note weeds is just any unwanted grass growing around you.

Any grass is just suitable for this as far it is still fresh green in colour and not the dried once o!

The once that you just freshly pulled out from the ground will be good and make sure you dont go to pistotita's farm and steal his tomato leafs just because you want to prepare a weed tea fertilizer LOL!

Or maybe you should just headup to oluchidelly okro farm and pull down almost half of his farm and use the okro leafs and stem as a sweet loving weed tea fertilizer for your plants LoL!

I bet you that if you try that nonsense with healthserve mummy's farm i swear na only one leg of slippers you go use take run with speed go house LOL!

By the time healthserve pursue you with the anger of loosing his entire empire on nairaland then you go remember say for calarbar land dem dey even kidnapp house owner with him local dog at the same time trow enter car back boot pick race run LoL!

Na that time your eyes go clear to dey see where dem write for front of the farm

Not sutiable for persons below 18 (please do not try this at home)

please in other to avoid trouble and live long there are unwanted grasses everywhere.

Indeed you will be surprised to see here in nairaland somebody advertising to sell mechanised plants weed tea,

he would tell you that the weed tea have been basically bumbarzed by the netherlands ministry agricultural authorities LOL!

You know what just tell him to go tell all that to his grand mum in the village

and also tell him you got your own weed tea fertilizer from zimbabwe LOL!

Afterall zimbabwe na people still dey live there and not baboons!

cheers!

(1) (Reply)

Your Idear Is Needed Someone Is Depress Say Something / Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Services Donated pesticides to maize farmers / Sesame Is Available At Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.